The scoop on 'Aitken's Salmon Creek Garden'

Aitken's Salmon Creek Garden

608 NW 119th St
Vancouver, Washington 98685 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: $3

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Positive Patty57
Wake Forest, NC (Zone 7b)
August 21, 2014
Coming back around to adding some more irises to my garden after 20 years, I knew who to order from. Ordered from them years ago and still recalled how pleasant they were and the plants they had sent back then. Spoke with Miss Barbara, worked out details of my order and today they came. Wonderful healthy plants packed so well. They have a wonderful selection of irises!!
Positive mlmlakestevens
Lake Stevens, WA (Zone 8a)
October 8, 2013
I wanted Iris foetidissima lutea. Aitkens is half the price of the other nurseries. (($3.50 each). Of course I gave in to temptation and got some Pacific Coast Irises too. Excellent customer service. Excellent packing. Plants arrived in perfect condition.They reserved my plants in the spring, then sent them in the fall at the proper planting time.
Positive themikesmom
Concord, NC
March 11, 2013
These are really really nice people, we had been trying to get a hold of another iris vendor that they know, and they were incredibly helpful and knowledgeable and were able to contact this vendor for us who then got in contact with us. not many people would devote time to help someone they dont even know contact someone else let alone another vendor. Mrs Aitken was extremely nice to us on the phone and was one of the most pleasant people we have spoken to in the iris community in a really long time. we would highly recommend them to anyone!
Positive timeinabottle
Louisville, KY
September 7, 2012
I just received my Japanese Iris plants. They are very healthy looking. The price was a lot less expensive then their competitors. There was some difficulty with the website after I placed my order. I called Barbara to straighten it out. She was friendly and helpful. This is my second order with her. The last was for tall bearded and dwarf iris. That also was a very positive experience.
Positive CTYankeegirl
Mystic, CT
September 18, 2011
Aitken's has a great selection of iris, Japanese iris in particular. I found their prices reasonable and the selection was really great. I ordered some very interesting varieties and am really looking fwd to next Spring to see these beauties blooming in my front yard! I also ordered some regular Tall bearded iris & those were of good quality as well. Well packed.
Recommended; especially for their Japanese Ensata selection/prices.
Positive vossner
Richmond, TX (Zone 9a)
September 23, 2010
My Louisiana irises from this company were huge and beautiful. Barbara made this a most pleasant experience. Won't be the last.
Positive pardalinum
Willamette Valley, OR (Zone 8a)
September 15, 2010
I have ordered irises from the Aitkens for a number of years (bearded, Siberian, Japanese). My latest order was for seven Japanese irises. They arrived within a week of my order and were in excellent condition and obviously freshly dug with nice white roots. Because I got my order in close to the cut-off date, I provided a couple of suggestions for substitutions. Well all of my choices were available and the Aitkens included my suggested substitutions as bonuses! Thanks Terry and Barbara. Another wonderful transaction and I can't wait to see these irises in bloom!
Positive pollyk
Hannibal, NY (Zone 6a)
August 28, 2010
Posted on September 1, 2006, updated August 28, 2010
I ordered approx 15 various irises off Aitkens website after participating in a co-op on DG.

Both the irises rec'd in the co-op and the later order were excellent.

Large divisions, arrived fresh, well packaged with a generous extra.

The transaction went smoothly, with correspondence along the way that they had received my order, and when it would be shipped.

I will be ordering from Aitkens again, and highly recommend them.

Polly Kinsman
On April 15th, 2007, pollyk added the following:

I ordered Japanese Iris this spring from Aitken's, I received very healthy plants, on time, generous extras, great communications and advice, all at great prices. They even went out of their way to get an iris for me that I really wanted that was in their catalogue last year, but not this. Very accomodating. You can't beat this place. If you have not ordered from Aitken's, please give them a try.
On June 13th, 2009, pollyk added the following:

I ordered from Aitken's again this year. They went out of their way to accomodate my order. As always the irises I received from them were great. Large healthy divisions.
On September 12th, 2009, pollyk added the following:

Updated for fall 2009 order. 24 siberian and Japanese irises all arrived in lovely shape, freshly dug, and large divisions. A really nice bonus was included. Communication along the way was great. Another great order from Aitken's.
On August 28th, 2010, pollyk added the following:

Another nice order received. Two wonderful bonuses. I can't think of much to say I haven't said before, LOL. Good company to buy beardless irises from.
Positive wingnutdad620
Coventry, RI
July 22, 2010
I was very pleased with my first order of 4-SDB iris and 1-TB iris from Aitkens. The rhizomes are healthy and firm. I chose Aitken's because they had several varieties of SDB that I wanted and were about a $1 less expensive per rhizome than another nursery.

My only disappointment is that I wasn't able to get one of the varieties due to poor increase but I don't fault the grower for that.
Positive Iris_Place
Saint Charles, MO
February 12, 2010
Order Spuria and Louisiana Iris in fall and all were nice plants, good price and low shipping fee, Wonderful, have ordered in past and will order again
DThomas St. Charles Mo.
Positive irisMA
South Hamilton, MA
March 4, 2009
We have dealt with Aitkens for a number of years & find them easy to work with, all positive experiences. Rhizomes may vary in size over the years from any iris garden & when contacted for information, it is very positive & useful.
Positive amuscledskier
Sagle, ID
August 1, 2008
I have ordered from Terry and Barbara 2 years now in a row. I can say that they have great priced rhizomes and a huge selection. I am satisfied with them for sure. The correspondence has been timely and complete. I just got the first part of a 2 part order, and was a bit surprised at the size of the rhizomes this year.. they are a bit small, but this was a strange season here in the northwest.. but I also received another order from a great reputable grower in Oregon, Mid America Gardens, and the rhizomes were HUGE in size in comparison to Aitken's... anyway, these folks are great to deal with! I WILL order from them again. Thanks Terry and Barbara!
Positive BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA
August 1, 2008
This was my first order of beareded iris. After researching which varieties might stand up to Louisiana heat and humidity, I researched who had what I wanted and placed good-size orders with five different companies who were highly rated here. I have received all the orders now, and I can say without hesitation that Aitken's Salmon Creek Garden has healthy, clean, well labeled, and well packaged rhizomes. They were reasonably priced and shipped exactly when I requestef. Aitken's also offers quite a few varieties that could not be found elsewhere. Overall, I am very impressed with the iris sent by Aitken's, especially in comparison with most of the rhizomes I received from other companies. I can say my purchase from Aitken's was extremely pleasant and positive. I will definitely be a repeat customer. A+++
Positive davidanji
Fairfield, NJ
September 9, 2007
good product, good price
Positive KayeArnold
Seagrove, NC
August 31, 2007
I just received my order of Japanese and Louisiana iris and was very pleased! The plants were large and healthy, the prices were very reasonable and they included some nice bonus plants. I will definitely order from them again!
Positive pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM (Zone 5a)
August 21, 2007
I just received my second order from Aitken's Salmon Creek Iris Farm in two years. The plants I purchased last year bloomed this year. Both last year and this year the plants looked wonderful when they arrived and grew perfectly and I wasn't always the best plant parent. Their selection is great, as their service and communication. Keep up the great work Aitkens family!
Positive tbuff
Canton, GA
October 12, 2006
Aitken has great customer service(always timely return calls and emails), healthy plants, and they were very generous with some free iris as part of my order. Also, their prices were very reasonable for the product offerred.
Positive arthurgoodwin
Denver, CO
August 31, 2006
Purchased dozen Siberian/Japanese iris via website. Nice prices on some newer iris that other places advertise for a lot more. Very good customer service (e-mail confirming order, e-mail from owner to make sure I knew how to provide conditions Japanese iris would need in hostile Denver climate, e-mail when order shipped). Plants arrived in great shape, very well packaged, and very generous divisions. An expensive bonus iris was included as well. All around A-1 company. I'll be ordering from them again in the spring.
Positive shadowgirl
Moscow, TN (Zone 7a)
August 26, 2006
This was my first year to order from Aitkin's but won't be my last. The Japanese and Louisiana irises I ordered arrived well-packed and looking like they were freshly dug. The divisions are large and generous. Several of the cultivars were ones I have been trying to get my hands on for a while. The bonus plant was a choice cultivar that put a big smile on my face. Buying from this grower was a hassle-free, pleasant experience.
Positive ignote
Saint Cloud, MN (Zone 4a)
August 23, 2006
Very pleased with the siberian irises I ordered from aitkens! Very well packaged, and they arrived in excellent condition. I will be a return customer when I need more. Highly recommended.
Positive Nakihee
Lascassas, TN
August 7, 2006
My first year to order from this company. They sent some of the most beautiful iris rhizomes I have ever purchased. I can't wait till they start blooming. They sent bonus rhizome and they were carefully marked and packaged professionally. They came green, washed and wonderful! I will definitely use this company again. I am counting on the people in our iris society who say they are always on the money with the IDs on thier iris. That is why I ordered from them to start with. So, I look forward to placeing a "real order" with them next year! :) :) :)
Positive laurief
Deer River, MN (Zone 3b)
August 6, 2006
I have ordered from this company only once so far, but it was a very successful purchase. They offered a collection of SDB irises, but what I really wanted was a collection that included both MDBs and SDBs. They very kindly accommodated my request and created a collection of both types for me. That's the sort of individualized customer service that I truly appreciate!

Rhizomes were large and healthy, and the price of the collection was excellent.

Laurie
Positive Mainecoon
Shepherd, MT
September 20, 2005
This is my second year ordering from this garden, I am
pleased with them.
Positive Cheesy
West Bend, WI
August 20, 2005
I've ordered from the Aitken's for a few years now, both for personal and iris club purchases. The customer service is very good. The first year I ordered, '97 I believe, UPS went on strike when my box of irises had already been shipped. It took a couple weeks to get them and although it was not the garden's fault they offered to replace any that were lost. But that wasn't necessary-we know how sturdy bearded irises are! But very nice people and quite accomodating. This year I asked for an early ship date although I ordered rather late and they came through for me with flying colors. Their siberian iris divisions are husky and healthy and well wrapped. I don't find their bearded iris rhizomes to be very large anymore, they are smaller every year it seems to me. But they do well, they are not as tender perhaps as some that are a bit more plump and "pumped up". Very good prices and selection, especially in median classes, nice print catalog, personally I found their website excruciatingly painful to navigate even with broadband so perhaps they can improve that a bit. Won't stop me from ordering though. :-)
Positive cls009
August 8, 2005
This is a great company to deal with. Contact is excellent, the rhizomes were huge with generous bonuses. I'll definately be ordering from this company again.
Positive nevadagdn
Sparks, NV (Zone 7a)
August 2, 2005
Nice, healthy rhizomes, well-packed, plus a bonus. Customer service and communication was excellent. If I can find more room for more irises (who am I kidding? I'll find room even if it takes a shoehorn to do it...), I'll be a repeat customer.
Positive flowerfrenzy
Vancouver, WA (Zone 7a)
May 19, 2005
I enjoy dealing with Terry and Barbara. They always answer emails promptly. The selection of irises is above average and the quality of the rhizomes is excellent. I live in Washington, so they allow me to pick up my order, so I don't have to pay shipping. If you're ever in the area, make sure to tour their lovely display garden!
On September 1st, 2006, flowerfrenzy added the following:

Aitken's Salmon Creek Garden hosted a co-op for Dave's Garden members this year (2006) and I organized it. Everyone was very happy with the plants that they received...as I knew they would be. Don't hesitate to order from this great source for iris!
Positive judylynn
Winston, OR
October 17, 2004
I mostly ordered japanese and siberian iris this year. They arrived in good health and large divisions. Plus a more expensive bonus of each. I will order from them again.
Positive oregonzone8
Beaverton, OR
October 7, 2004
This fall was the second time I'd ordered from Aitkens and was again very impressed. Great online catalog, good communication, great quality rhizomes. Don't miss a chance to see their beautiful display gardens in the spring!
Positive Karensmurf
Easley, SC (Zone 7b)
September 21, 2003
I ordered irises from this company twice this year and was thrilled each time. Customer service is excellent and the rhizomes were in wonderful condition - very large and very fresh!
Positive irisfinatic
March 31, 2003
I have ordered from Aitkens on multiple occasions, and I have always recieved large, healthy rhizomes. They have a decent selection of TBs, and an above average selection of medians. Their prices are well in line with those of other companies. Additionaly, their customer service is exellent. They are happy to answer questions, should the need arise. I am confident in recommending this company to anyone seeking top-quality rhizomes.
Positive jalb
January 11, 2003
I have placed orders with the Aitkens' for several years and had extremely positive results. The rhizomes are large, arrive in good condition and are well-marked. The extras have been exceptional. Moreover, the siberians have been delivered across the country in superior shape. I would strongly recommend this garden.
Positive susandavis
June 1, 2002
Am writing to let you know that I agree with all the positive feedback on this vendor. I have gotten great iris from all the listed sources but if you want "special," this is the place to come. Drop-dead gorgeous and iris you won't find easily. They are helpful and concerned with outstanding customer service.
Positive IndaShade
Kylertown, PA (Zone 5b)
December 6, 2001
Have ordered standard dwarf irises from them twice. Haven't lost one yet. I will be a lifelong customer.
Positive lynncarman
February 1, 2001
I have been trading at Aitkin's @ Salmon Creek for several years now and in my book they are great! I have purchased both irises and orchids from them, as they are local and just around the corner. Their stock is top notch, prices are reasonable and their advice is just priceless. They have been very helpful and have even helped our son to start his own orchid collection. It is just priceless to see them help him enjoy both orchids and irises. I give the Aitkin's high mark for quality and it's such a pleasure to visit their fields while they are in bloom. They take such pride in coming out to help you!
Positive silke_mariaw
Ann Arbor, MI
July 1, 2000
A quick cheer for Salmon Creek -- the Irises they sent looked magnificent, and the customer service was superb -- Barbara Aitken sent me an email after midnight the same day I'd asked her a naive novice question about Iris culture. Having bought nothing but tulips and daffs in the past, I shuddered a bit at paying $4 and up for a geophyte, but they are so gorgeous.
Positive lucyfendler
March 1, 1999
Last year I went crazy and ordered Aitken's andů[several other iris nurseries.] All rhizomes arrived in comparable good condition. I would order irises from any of these companies again; but in this climate, I would ask to have them shipped in late September.
Positive deannalickey
December 1, 1998
Am writing to say that I have visited and purchased plants from Aitken's for almost 10 years, and have never been disappointed with the service or the quality. Crosses I have produced from their stock have consistently given me beautiful exhibition quality progeny some of which I am hoping to register in the near future. The owners are cordial and helpful and produce some of the finest dwarf iris in the Pacific Northwest. Their introduction "Orange Chips" from the late 1980's, has produced some of the brightest yellows and best form I have seen.
Positive MaureenMark
July 1, 1997
I highly recommend Aitken's Salmon Creek Farm. They carry a large variety of high quality bearded irises and include substantial gifts along with your order. On top of that, they offer substantial advice and information via e-mail.