The scoop on 'Twilley Seed Co., Inc.'

Twilley Seed Co., Inc.

121 Gary Road
Hodges, South Carolina 29653 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-622-7333

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

This company offers a variety of seeds.

Comments:

Positive SeniorGardening
Sullivan, IN
November 12, 2012
I think it’s probably just human nature that we tend to post comments about vendors when we have a problem with them. I certainly have done so here in the past. But when I put together my list of recommended seed suppliers for a Senior Gardening posting this year, I realized that I should make a positive comment here about each of our suppliers that have performed so well over the years.

We’ve used Twilley Seeds as one of our two or three main garden seed suppliers for over twenty years. When we were growing sweet corn for commercial sales, they were our primary provider of the then new sh2 supersweet varieties. We still use their sweet corn varieties almost exclusively.

Over the years, we’ve had issues with seed quality just once and received a prompt and courteous refund, although absent the explanation I requested about how we were shipped crushed seed. But that was just one time out of twentysome years of quality seed shipments.

A few weeks ago, I had reason to call them, inquiring about GMO seed. The customer service representative politely informed me Twilley’s does not sell any GMO seed (what I wanted to hear).

Neutral Mikedog
Payne, GA
September 18, 2012
This company has a HUGE listing of seed with many that are
new disease resistant hybrids that not listed elsewhere. Handling charge is rather expensive for small orders. Very pleasant customer services
Positive jimwatershed
Saint Augustine, FL (Zone 8b)
January 5, 2012
Ordered from four companies last year, Twilley gets a tie for first. I faxed in my order in October, got a call within an hour with a knowledgeable, understandable human being who explained that they were out of stock on three items (which I didn't think was bad for that late in the season), and was able to very quickly and politely help me choose substitutes. Seeds came in under a week. Prices are comparable to anywhere else and better than most. Plus, the seeds are sealed in a foil 'vacuum' packet instead of just paper, much better for storage. So I would definitely order from them again.
Positive WNYGardener
Dunkirk, NY
December 16, 2011
Old fashioned company. The selection is extensive, prices are reasonable, and the service is good. In spring 2011 I ordered about thirty different varieties of vegetable and flower seeds. They all performed well except one item that the company sent a replacement for without me asking for it. My first choice for seeds this coming growing season.
Positive Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX (Zone 10a)
January 5, 2011
I like this company. They have a great selection of squash seeds with the disease resistance I need for our area. The people are super nice, prices are reasonable and shipping was fast.
Positive Indy
Alexandria, IN (Zone 6a)
September 5, 2007
I like this company for vegetable seeds
Positive Gabrielle
(Zone 5a)
January 17, 2006
I purchased seeds in 12/04 and they all did well. I would do business with them again.
Positive Farmerdill
Augusta, GA (Zone 8a)
December 4, 2003
I have only used Otis Twilley for vegetable seeds. They have an excellent selection of the newer hybrids. Their service has been excellent. One of the best mailorder companies for obtaining current varieties of vegetables. Very little in the way of traditional cultivars.
On January 8th, 2008, Farmerdill added the following:

Still using Twilley for the bulk of my orders. Good seed, good service. Excellent choice of vegetable cultivars that perform well for market gardeners in the southeast.
Positive Agrinerd
Franklin, NC (Zone 6b)
July 22, 2003
I've only ordered a few packets from them here and there but was always satified. It looks like the negative comment was intended for Ty-Ty Nursery (next in list), which does indeed have a bad reputation.
Positive Imhotep
Meridian, MS
March 26, 2003
A "moderate" company, not one of the biggies but they have
a nice selection. Products are as advertised, reasonable
prices, good delivery.

Service wise they get a 10, I can't fault them.
Positive rdd
December 10, 2002
I have ordered from Twilley for many years. This is the best overall mail order company in my opinion.

Twilley's provides prompt service and fresh seeds. What really sets them apart in my opinion is their selection of disease resistant varieties. For instance, bacterial leaf speck on cabbage has always been a problem for me and they have resistant varieties that perform well.

Many of their other varieties are excellent performers for me. Their SummerSweet #7210 sweet corn is the most consistent and highest yielding corn I have ever grown and I have grown many. The plants are short (about 5 1/2 feet) and can be planted at high density. #7210 yields two ears per stalk about 8" long. Also, the silks are very easy to remove from the ears which makes the corn easy to process. We freeze about 50-60 quarts of cream corn annually.

I don't think my large garden would be nearly as productive without this company and their seed selection. I believe you will be pleased with them as well.

Negative CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN (Zone 4a)
July 4, 2002
Ordered our seed geraniums from them this just to save a few bucks. Ha-Ha. We grow 1500 to 2000. Because of poor germ. and short seeds in pack we were short plants to sell. No more ordering here!
Positive Preacher_1
April 30, 2002
I have been using Twilley seeds for years and have always had great success. This year has been no exception. I moved 3 years ago and had several pacages of seeds left from the 98 season and I planted those along with seeds I purchased this year, the only seeds that didnt come up were the green beans so I replaced them with new seeds from 2002 and Just like always great success.
Positive kg
January 2, 2002
Good varieties and service. Caters somehat more to commercial growers, with emphasis on varieties that are reliable, productive, disease resistant, widely adapted, ship well, and produce marketable fruit. Still, very useful to the home gardener as well. Very informative catalog. Among the best collections in the nation for some vegetables, such as corn and watermelon.
Positive danmlornad
March 1, 2000
I ordered over $200 worth of seeds from here and I am very satisfied. I experienced about a 90% germination rate on all my flowers and vegetable seeds. They are reasonably priced also.