The scoop on 'Singing Tree Gardens'

Singing Tree Gardens

McKinleyville, California 95519 (United States)

Visit Singing Tree Gardens at:

» Like them on Facebook

Company Comment, posted on July 27, 2006:
We are a retail mailorder nursery on the northern California coast specializing in Rhododendrons, Azaleas, Dwarf Conifers, Heaths and Heathers, Ornamental Grasses, Hydrangeas, Hebes, deciduous trees, Pieris and other interesting and unusual plants.

Comments:

Positive TutuMo
Ridgefield, WA
February 22, 2014
I was so impressed with the plants when they arrived. Not a drop of dirt was lost, no breakage of stems or tender leaves, just an amazing packing job. And SO fast! Thank you Singing Tree. It's a good thing I have a small yard or I'd have to have "one of everything!"
Positive TammyT
Sunnyvale, CA
September 26, 2013
The website has a fun tone (as it should!) and is generally easy to use. I took a chance after following Singing Tree for months and placed an order for 7 plants, so a pretty large first order, over 200 dollars.

We received our order within 3 business days -- nice surprise.

Packaged quite well and all beautiful, happy, healthy gorgeous little dwarf conifers with beautiful colors and the expected sizes and shapes!

We are very pleased as this was our first purchase with any online grower; I usually frequent all the local nurseries and have been wary of purchasing plants unseen.

We will definitely be ordering more plants from Singing Tree again. My hubby loves our new babies as much as me...they will be delightful additions to our established little woodland garden.

My only disappointment is that there are so many plants I want to purchase from Singing Tree and then I see: Sold Out!

So now I am on their email notifications for over a dozen plants! But that's mostly OK, adding new, unusual plants over time is a part of the fun.
Positive sandyburns
Vashon, WA
May 10, 2013
Singing Tree Gardens is by far the best experience I have ever had with mail ordering plants. I ordered a Rhody, a dwarf conifer and a Heather. They arrived in excellent condition and are just beautiful. Thank you Don!
Positive BvrCtyGardener
Monaca, PA
October 4, 2012
Posted on May 17, 2012, updated October 4, 2012
Posted on November 18, 2010, updated May 17, 2012
Ordered 1gal Japanese Black Pine - Banshosho 9-18-10. It arrived 9-29-10 in excellent shape! The tree is of good structure, healthy and was well-wrapped for safe shipping. Tho planted late, it is thriving and with good care, will be a showpiece specimen in my new Asian-themed garden. Of several plants I've ordered online only two - a Japanese Maple "Autumn Moon" from Davidsan's Japanese Maples, and "Banshosho" Black Pine from Singing Tree Gardens have arrived in favorable size, shape and condition that far exceeded my expectations. I signed up for Singing Tree's Newsletter and plan to watch their catalogue for future purchases.
On May 17th, 2012, BvrCtyGardener added the following:

Update:
Banshoho has put in another 10inches of new growth this spring. Extremely healthy, hardy tree! With some expert help, I hope to give it some traditional shaping.

I also purchase Low Glo on sale last fall and received the most beautifully shaped bush. It has grown almost 4 inches this spring, and is practically shaping itself!

And Singing Tree remembered my long-standing order for Vibrant. As soon as I got their email, I had this little gem on its way. Looked a bit small when I put it in this spring, but WOW did it take off! At least three inches of new growth.

If I find room for more Asian-style miniatures, I'll be back online searching again. Singing Tree has never let me down. Their dwarf conifers are absolute high-end!
On October 4th, 2012, BvrCtyGardener added the following:

Sold Out. Don't you hate that? I have to admit I sometimes procrastinate too much. So when I saw Chamaecyparis "Bridget" go on sale at Singing Tree on the hottest PA July 2nd, I rushed my order in and prayed they would hold shipping until cooler weather.

Don Wallace was super at helping me coordinate delivery for just the perfect time. I now have a wonderfully formed little Bridget happily complementing a dense dwarf Hinoki Cypress.

I needed dwarf plants for my limited rock garden space and I know I can count on Singing Tree Gardens plants to be robust and hardy, and retain their diminutive size.

As for SOLD OUT ... truly top-of-the-line specialty plants ARE rare.

Thanks, Don!

Positive LFisher
Fairfield, CA
October 4, 2012
Lot of unusual dwarf conifers. Order for plants was filled quickly and all plants were well packed and were in good condition when they arrived. Looking forward to seeing them grow.
Positive Patricia_CR
Grecia, Alajuela
Costa Rica
April 22, 2012
This company is great in every way: kind and prompt customer service; healthy, gorgeous and true to it's size plants; careful packaging that arrives right on time. A happy gardener couldn't ask for more.
Positive Clove
Union City, NJ
February 23, 2012
I am an avid plant hobbyist who has been mail-ordering plants for thirty years. So I was exceptionally satisfied placing and receiving two recent orders from Singing Tree Gardens and their website singtree.com . I'm impressed by their listing of rare and hard-to-find tender Maddenia rhododendrons and their hybrids, especially since these rhododendrons are hard to find in my area, eastern coast of the US. I was left breathless when I unpacked the plants and beheld their size, health, beauty, and elegance. At Singing Tree Gardens, I received excellent personable and friendly customer service. All of the plants that I ordered have full healthy growth, strong roots, and were meticulously packaged to arrive in perfect condition. I highly recommend Singing Tree Gradens to beginning and highly experienced gardeners alike. And to those hard-to-impress seasoned gardeners, I must say that Singing Tree Gardens is truly a new adventure in gardening.
Positive restom
Reston, VA
September 19, 2011
I ordered 2 Rhododendron ‘Polar Bear’ and received both in great condition. The huge plants have been in the ground a few months now and are doing fine. Excellent communication, too!
Positive rhodiedave
Johnstown, PA
November 3, 2010
Posted on April 8, 2010, updated November 3, 2010
Posted on March 28, 2010, updated April 8, 2010
Posted on March 4, 2010, updated March 28, 2010
I have been looking for the Black Widow Rhododendron for awhile now and finally found it here at Singtree. Had great communication from Don and recieved the rhododendron in a timely manner and was beautiful, Nicely budded, packed very well, All good, looking forward in getting other rhododendrons from him in the future. Thanks Don.
On March 28th, 2010, rhodiedave added the following:

RECEIVED A SECOND ORDER FROM DON, AND AGAIN WELL PLEASED, THANKS MUCH, I'LL BE BACK FOR MORE.
On April 8th, 2010, rhodiedave added the following:

third order, and got what i expected, great communication, great service, super great plants, great shipment, and again, thanks so much, i'll be back for more.
On November 3rd, 2010, rhodiedave added the following:

I'm one happy camper, again, a great order from Don, thanks much, also would like to metion, few months ago i asked don if i could get cuttings from one of his rhododendrons and he promised me to send some, and he did, i received the cuttings, he's a man of his word, thanks much
Positive GreenandGrowing7
Marcola, OR
April 11, 2010
I was able to buy a variety of deciduous azalea I could not find locally or at any other online nursery. The two rhododendrons and azalea I purchased arrived in great condition and were large and healthy plants. I highly recommend Singing Tree Gardens and will definitely purchase plants again from them in the future.
Positive swiftness
Portales, NM
December 28, 2009
The plants were lovely (larger than usual), the prices were reasonable, the shipping was prompt, and the service was courteous. I'll be back!
Positive LLewis28
Portland, OR
November 6, 2009
Very helpful and communicated every step of the way. Plants arrived healthy and just as described. A pleasure to do business with.
Positive plantingBrian
Leesburg, AL
October 22, 2009
From the start, I believe I spoke to the owner or at least someone with the passion for plants that I have.. happy with the selection and knowledge of this company. Got my order today and I'm very HAPPY! plants are in great shape and cant wait for spring. (settled them in with alittle hormex and plant succcess microriz..) Thank's Don, hope to order many more when they come back in stock (macabeanum cecil smith) HAPPY that I found you guys!
Positive Cornucopia
New Haven, CT (Zone 6a)
October 8, 2009
I ordered a variety of evergreen azaleas. I had a concern about double billing due to my own credit card typo and Don followed up immediately to research and address the matter, leaving me assured that everything would process properly and without confusion. It did. I was impressed with the highly responsive and personal customer service. My azaleas came in a timely manner, in great shape, and a good size.They are a lovely addition to my front yard and I know i will appreciate their evergreen quality once the weather turns and all the deciduous plants turn down. I can hardly wait until next spring to see them bloom. Nice selection of hard to find plants at a fair price. Will definitely order from them again.
Positive johnschwitters
San Pedro, CA
October 5, 2009
I purchased (6) Rhodondendrons using two orders, as a new customer. Both shipments arrived right on schedule and all plants were in perfect condition. I live in an area that Rhodondendrons don't particularly like. Don took his time and explained in great detail to me, how I could possibly overcome those short comings. It's a pleasure doing business with folks that provide help and support to their customers
Positive Isis21
Germantown, MD
July 10, 2009
I would highly recommend them to anyone
• All the plants looked great, were well-packed, healthy
• A wonderful selection!
• Great communication!
Very responsible, reliable people!!!
Positive gfm
Melrose, MA
June 18, 2009
I ordered two deciduous Azaleas from Singing Tree. Communication from the company was excellent as to when they would ship and when the bushes would arrive. I had some worries as we're starting to get into summer now and they would be in transit for over a week (my fault of course for ordering so late in the Spring). They arrived promptly and were well wrapped. Although a little parched from the long trip, I got them in the ground immediately and the leaves perked up within a few hours, so crisis avoided. I would not hesitate to order from Singing Tree again, especially considering the same bushes sourced locally would have cost me about twice as much.
Positive njjpl
Pequannock, NJ
April 17, 2009
This company should be in the Watchdog Top 30! The plants I received we HUGE , the communication between the company and myself was excellent, and the shrubs were packed perfectly---arriving cross-country in perfect shape. This is a company that I will order from again and again!!! Try them, you won't be disappointed at all!!!
Positive Cynthia688
Sunnyvale, CA
February 25, 2009
After a unproductive search for rhododendrons and azaleas at local nurseries, I searched online and found the Singing Tree Gardens nursery. They have a huge selection, searchable by color, name, variety, etc. with a lot of helpful information besides.

I was able to find exactly what I wanted, and since they were relatively close (200 miles away), I had the plants I wanted on my doorstep in two days. All the plants looked great, were well-packed, healthy, and ready to be planted. I will definitely be back for more as I slowly re-landscape the yard! I would highly recommend them to anyone.
Positive Matt_D
Sacramento, CA
December 8, 2008
I ordered a Pinus contorta "Chief Joseph". It arrived in great shape. It shipped quickly and they emailed me when it was shipped. I have been to their retail location near Arcata, CA and they have a great garden in a beautiful setting. Very positive experience -- I will order by mail in the future again.
Positive mtnqueen
Ellijay, GA
November 23, 2008
I too have been bitten by the conifer bug. Singing Tree has a year-end sale and I ordered a Pinus thunbergii "Thunderhead". Wonderful specimen received that is now very happy here in zone 7B. I will order again. Who could resist??
Positive LyndaT
Richland, WA
November 23, 2008
I have always believed that we should purchase the more "everyday" garden plants from out local independent merchants. But then there are those more unusual and hard to find plants. For those of us who love the rare and unusual...we mail order. Most of us have been burned by it too. I have received some pretty pitiful stuff and I am sure you have too.

Every now and then we come across a forward thinking entrepreneur that is in the business because he is a plantsman at heart and he takes pride in it. Like us. Its why we are here. I had the pleasure of finding Singing Tree Gardens and I ordered a Pinus parviflora 'Miyajima'. Its my 11th variety of pine and it is wonderful...everything I was hoping for. Some of their merchandise was sold out for the season (it is November after all), but they offer to email you when the plants you want are back in stock. I'll look forward to the emails, and ordering many more dwarf conifers in the future. Thanks Don.

My yard is a certified wildlife habitat (if you haven't considered this, please do - http://www.nwf.org). I share my sanctuary with the wild birds and animals that happen by. Its only made it better!
Positive fortbragg
Fort Bragg, CA
September 25, 2008
worked with don. the order was fulfilled quickly and we received the shipment within 3 days of the order. a subsequent email/question we sent to singing tree was answered within an hour. finally, the plants we ordered were both unavailable at most sites we searched, so we were particularly pleased to find them available at singing tree.
Positive steve101
Hazard, NE
September 16, 2008
Great communication was provided in the shipment process and the size and quality of my Compressa Junipers exceeded my expectations. Will do business with again.
Positive pipercat
Johnstown, PA
August 24, 2008
After ordering several dwarf conifers I received excellent communication via several emails about my order and the shipment.
I was concerned about shipping from CA to PA over the 7/4 holiday.
Another email reassured me that the plants would not suffer.
They arrived in perfect condition and were larger than expected. The plants are doing well and I am very pleased. I highly recommend this company.
Positive ecrane3
Dublin, CA (Zone 9a)
May 17, 2008
I just received a Rhododendron from Singing Tree and the plant is huge, gorgeous, and ready to bloom. I am very happy with the quality of the plant and I will definitely order from them again.
Positive jackie2
Auburn, WA
April 11, 2008
Beautiful pine and cypress, Very good roots, fast shipping , will recommend to friends. Thank you
Positive plantslayer
Raymond, ME
January 13, 2008
I placed a small order this fall. I was a little worried because it was late in the season, but the order came very quickly. All of the plants looked great, with very nice root systems. The winter heath I ordered was blooming and just gorgeous. I also ordered Juniperus scop. "Moonglow", and I could not believe I only paid $15.00 each (on sale) for them. They were about 28" tall each and the foliage was a beautiful steely blue. I am very happy with my purchase and will definately be ordering from them again.
On November 14th, 2008, plantslayer added the following:

I ordered many new heaths and dwarf conifers this fall, and not only did they arrive in less than a week from across the country, they are fabulous plants. The roots of the plants are evenly distributed through the growing medium with no signs of stress or being root bound. They look like a horticultural diagram of healthy root development on arrival. I just tap off the growing medium and plant, no uncoiling or tearing the roots to ensure they grow outwards. I don't know what system they use for growing their plants, but it is evident that whatever they do results in superior root development.
Positive REXTHELAB
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
September 21, 2007
Plants arrived today, very nicely packed. The plants are all very nice..the barberry is prickley...the pines are piney and the little elm tree is very nice.

No problem here! and of course..will order from these very nice folk again..since they have the dwarf versions of some real nice trees and plants.

I was scoping out that dianthus freynii, haven't quite figuered out what that is yet.

Thank you!
Positive kbedit
Arvada, CO
September 25, 2006
I was originally drawn by Singing Tree's collection of unusual evergreens; it makes me wish I had an acre to fill in and lived in a slightly warmer zone! Their Web site is beautifully visual and comprehensive. I ultimately ordered 5 dianthus freynii, something I have never seen or found anywhere else. Ordering from their Web site was a snap until PayPal didn't work. I e-mailed them and received a reply from Don within a couple of hours. After his helpful suggestions, I tried again, but with no success. I sent another e-mail and Don asked me to call him directly. He explained that their Web site had just recently been updated and, apparently, some glitches needed to be taken care of. Don happily took my order over the phone. A week or so later--about the time I should have gotten my order--I got a call, regretfully informing me that my order and another customer's order from Oregon had accidentally been switched. (The lady who received my dianthus freynii called them about it. She returned my order to the nursery, and we were able to abort her shipment to me.) Concerned about my plants being boxed for 2 weeks, Don replaced the original 5 plants with new ones, and I received them one week later. The shipping box was pretty banged up, but the plants had been well-protected and bound together. The plants were very healthy (and bigger than I thought they would be), with impressive, moist root balls intact. I've passed on my concerns and suggestions for stronger packaging materials. The plants are doing beautifully, and I've gotten questions from curious neighbors along the lines of, "What in heaven's name are those?" All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to order from Singing Tree again. Their customer service is excellent, their plants of the best quality, and they tried very hard to correct the mistakes that were made. Passionate gardeners can't ask for anything more.
Positive jkom51
Oakland, CA (Zone 9b)
October 15, 2002
Wonderful rhoadies from a very small company. Website has excellent photos to show flower colors and very accurate, detailed descriptions. They have many dwarf varieties available in 3- & 4-yr old sizes so the plants won't get "lost" in your garden (dwarf varieties grow very slowly) but are perfect for the urban gardener. Altho you order from the website, they do not contact you to obtain billing info until they are ready to ship the plants, so be aware there may be a lag before they call you. Unlike many mail-order companies, their instruction sheets were three full pages long of detail!
Positive kimlarson
June 1, 2002
A wonderful selection of rhodies and azaleas at reasonable prices...search by size, color, fragrance, hardiness etc. I ordered several plants in fall 2001 which came in beautiful condition. Detailed instructions were included for planting. Unfortunately, some of our wildlife had a feast on the leaves over the winter before I realized they needed protection...but this spring all have leafed out again and are vigorously growing. I am very pleased and will order from them again.
Positive Canescens
May 26, 2002
Nice sized rhododendrons packaged well. Though ground delivery cross country to the East coast took ten days, all plants delivered in surprisingly good condition. Easy to use convenient Web site ( http://www.singtree.com ).
Positive BorisBauer
Easley, SC
April 1, 1999
I originally found this company via the American Rhododendron Society's homepage. The ordering experience from Singing Tree was positive. They were able to provide plants that I had had "trouble" finding. Plants' pricing was average for the world of rhododendrons, nice plants with well-formed roots, and packaging was adequate for the cross-country trip. The ability to order directly online was most helpful. Thumbs Up.