The scoop on 'Borglum's Iris Gardens'

Borglum's Iris Gardens

2202 Austin Road
Geneva, New York 14456 (United States)

Phone: 585-526-6729

Visit Borglum's Iris Gardens at:

Comments:

Positive pollyk
Hannibal, NY (Zone 6a)
May 7, 2009
Today was my second visit to Borglum's.

It is a wonderful place. Full of beardless and bearded irises. Peonies and hostas. Just beautiful. And so well kept.

The owners Dana and Sylvia Borglum are hybridizers, and many of their intros are available for sale. Today there was a huge area of median irises Dana Borglum had hybridized. Gorgeous! It always is a good idea to buy directly from the hybridizer.

I purchased about 16 irises. Dana Borglum dug them fresh for me, in huge clumps.

I can't say enough good things about this business. The Borglums are great people, their plants are wonderful. The plants they have hybridized are fantastic introductions. It's a great experience just to be able to go to their place, and such a pleasure to meet such really truly nice people.

Positive richK
New York, NY
July 26, 2007
Great place great plants great service
Mr Borglum was a friendly character with good advice on gardening raising iris peony and daylily. I stopped by during a rainy sunday and with umbrella in my friend's hand -i dug up huge clumps in his unnamed hybrids section. They were all overgrown and crowding each other, was very exciting to dig up HUGE overgrown clumps leftover from his hybridizing experiments. VERY generous size some had 9 fans blooming plus babies, though I am not sure what size you'll get buying online, it was certainly worth the $7 each and the labor of "dig yer own". I guess he just leaves his leftover hybrids, too much labor to sort them/divide them. The named variety section is evenly spaced and clearly labeled-though I was more interested in the unknowns. His iris and peony sections looked quite hardy as well, and the labeling/organization was clear. Website is a not as impressive as his actual farm, but its obvious this farmer focuses on his plants, not html/dreamweaver :) He won an award for one of his irises a few years back - overall a great experience.
Positive rsquared
Finger Lakes, NY (Zone 6a)
May 31, 2006
I have purchased many times from Mr. Borglum. He is a wealth of knowledge. I have not bought irises in years but find his selection of peonies to be unmatched. He digs most out while you wait. His gardens are so wonderful that I go in the Spring and make my selections and see them in full bloom, but come back in the Fall to buy and pick up the peonies as this is the best time to transplant. A trip to Borglum's is a pleasure.
On June 19th, 2006, rsquared added the following:

I just returned from another awesome visit with Mr Borglum. His gardens are in bloom and he was as helpful as ever. He was very busy with customers, but still gave me individual attention for my purchases. He is never too busy to help. I cut in more gardens just to place two new peonies I purchased from him. What a wonderful place!!! The irises, peonies and lupines were in bloom and just gorgeous. He definately grows what he sells!
Positive NYVOICES99
Corning, NY (Zone 5a)
February 22, 2006
I have bought Iris from Mr. Borglum for over 6 years, & do intend on seeing them for 2006 bloom season. Great people to deal with. Makes you feel as though they DO have time for you:)
Positive JWLaw1
newark, NY (Zone 5b)
June 1, 2004
Borglum's plants are wonderful and the people are very helpful. If you are fortunate enough to live in the area go see the display gardens they will give all sorts of great ideas.