The scoop on 'Cistus Nursery'

22711 NW Gillihan Road
Sauvie Island, Oregon 97231 (United States)

Visit Cistus Nursery at:

Comments:

Positive sehanley
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
March 30, 2014
I've only placed one small order from Cistus, but it was a very easy experience (simple, lo-fi transaction through an e-mail, and then bang went the shipment exactly when I had requested), and I love (love, love, LOVE) their plant selection and one-of-a-kind cultivars and hybrids.

They'll probably do even better business, mail-order style, with a slightly easier-to-navigate website (hinting here), but I do appreciate the simplicity of it, and their pricing is quite reasonable given the quality, health, and size.
Positive MulchingMan
Eugene, OR
November 4, 2013
Cistus has a really nice selection of exotic plants and has introduced many garden-tolerant cultivars of species that can be marginal in our climate. I ordered an Arctostaphylos hookeri 'Green on Black' this summer and was very pleased with both the quality and size of the plant (it was significantly larger than I'd expect for a one-gallon size). Not surprisingly, the plant has adapted well to my garden.

The folks there also do a really nice job of answering e-mails in a timely manner, which I really appreciate.
Positive magnaastra
Charleston, IL (Zone 6a)
November 17, 2012
Wow, if I had serious money I could really have some fun at the Cistus Nursery. These plants (yuccas x 4, a pair of T. wagnerianus, and four assorted cacti) are totally awesome, dude: very healthy, well-rooted, large, and so lovingly packed that a journey across most of the United States didn't faze them. Want to make a special mention of Deborah, their wonderful, marvelous, and fantastic customer service representative. Deborah, if you ever move to Illinois, look me up, and I'll offer you a job!
Positive plantshopper
Portland, OR
May 14, 2012
The nursery exists in two worlds - there is a mail order of smaller plants, and then different and larger plants on site. A short drive from Portland, OR, the range of plants is amazing. You won't find anything usual here, it's rare plants, new hybrids, recent discoveries. The owner Sean Hogan lectures all over the world on plants and is not only knowledgeable but just the nicest guy. The staff is helpful but just be prepared to barely recognize anything. It's really a specialty supplier, not so much about big showy flowers as rare and interesting plants. Superb, the things I have planted here in Portland from them always elicit WHAT? is that from guests. The supply is CONSTANTLY changing so worth checking back regularly.
Positive Clove
Union City, NJ
February 23, 2012
I am an avid plant hobbyist who has been mail-ordering plants for thirty years. As a long-term customer, I am always exceptionally satisfied placing and receiving orders from Cistus Nursery and their website Cistus.com. Time and time again, I'm impressed by their listing of rare and hard-to-find plants, such as Viburnums, Pittosporums, Bay Laurels, Sarcococcas, and Magnolias. These are but a few of their extensive offerings which are well described, sometimes with collection data. I continually visit Cistus.com since many of their plants are hard to find in my area, eastern coast of the US. Whenever I unpack a Cistus shipment, I am left breathless with the size, health, beauty, and elegance of the rooted starter plants. At Cistus.com, I receive excellent personable and friendly customer service. All of the plants that I order have full healthy growth, strong roots, and are meticulously packaged to arrive in perfect condition. I highly recommend Cistus Nursery to beginning and highly experienced gardeners alike. And to those hard-to-impress seasoned gardeners, I must say that Cistus.com is truly a new adventure in gardening.
Positive Willapa1
Youngsville, NC
July 30, 2011
When ever I travel to the Portland OR area I try to schedule a visit at Cistus. They have a great selection of plants and great staff that are very helpful. The plants are a good size for the price. Customer service is becoming a thing of the past but not here. The staff will spend the time helping you out with your selection. Can't wait to get back to the area and stop in at Cistus on the way to the coast.
Positive Plantmum6
American Canyon, CA (Zone 9a)
March 24, 2011
I ordered several plants last week and they arrived yesterday in tip top shape. I do not order very many plants online, because I work at a nursery myself and I am able to get most everything "in person". I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the plants and the shipping condition. I will order again, they have some unusual things I never see in the retail trade.
Positive musaboru
Ontario, CA
October 14, 2010
I am so grateful such a nursery like this exists. They carry difficult-to-find michelia cultivars of good sizes (not itty-bitty twigs). The prices are very reasonable. I can't wait to order again when other michelia varities become available.

The packaging is perfect. No annoying peanuts, just newspaper for padding. Yay!
Positive lscott4413
Port Angeles, WA
May 29, 2010
Recent order for yucca baccata:

Negatives: Plant was (inadvertently, I believe) indicated to be larger than it was.

Positives: email and telephone interactions were uniformly polite and civil
after discussion with nursery owner a full refund was obtained
very fast shipping
Positive skoorb
Federal Way, WA
May 8, 2010
I live 3 hrs from this nursery and nearly every time I am coming thru Portland I visit the nursery. I have had excellent relations with the nursery staff for several years now. They are always courteous, helpful and prompt to respond to particular requests. In addition it is just fun to visit there.
Positive plant_collector
Oak Ridge, TN
October 11, 2009
Have ordered from this source 3 or 4 times and I really like their large selection of plants that includes a number of unusual and hard to find plants. They also have very good customer service, fill orders quickly, and have reasonable shipping charges (not true of all mail order nurseries). Their plant prices are also very fair for the size of plants received.
Positive Fallbrookguy
Fallbrook, CA
August 31, 2008
I've ordered from this nursery on three different occasions. Each time I've been very pleased with the promptness of their delivery and the high quality of the plant material delivered. A great nursery!
Positive MarcoPolo
Dupont, WA
April 27, 2008
I have been making trips to Cistus for several years now, and have enjoyed the selection of rare plants and the impeccable knowledge of the staff. Their demonstration beds are inspirational. Several of the 650+ species/cultivars in my collection came from Cistus and they are doing well and often draw questions from the hundreds of visitors our garden has hosted..
Positive patnjbob
Blossom, TX
May 31, 2007
Ordered a plant from Cistus last week and Josh told me that he would ship this Tuesday. He did and it arrived today via USPS. That is two days time from OR to TX. Very nice plant and hope I can grow it off so that I can plant directly in ground. Josh was extremely nice and polite when I spoke with him. I would suggest to anyone, do not try to have a conversation via email with plant nurseries. Phone them and save yourself the aggravation. Very nice person to deal with at Cistus and will keep them in favorites for other purchases not available locally.
Negative DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL (Zone 10a)
May 5, 2007
I use Dave's Garden Database of nurseries to find rare plants. I wanted a Acnistus australis and they are the only people who grow and have it in stock on a regular basis.

I contacted this company by email and got a reply from the 'Production Manager'. After 3 requests by email I was told that they would only ship FedEx, that it would take 10 days to arrive and that I would have to assume all risks. I pointed out to them that US Postal Service could have it here by Priority Mail in two days, that it would cost less money to ship, they would pick the package up and they would provide the shipping box for free. I was told that I would have to accept their terms, that they didn't have time to go to the post office. I pointed out that they didn't have to go anywhere, the post office is a professional at shipping.

I have been searching for Acnistus australis for almost two years. I am disappointed in the person who handles shipping for this company. The time spent answering email was wasted, they could have been spent that time getting a plant to me and they would have had one more very happy customer. The person I dealt with was lazy and border line rude.

Company representative comment on May 24, 2007:

On May 24, 2007 2:50 PM, Cistus Nursery added:

Mr. Griep has never placed an order with nor received plants from Cistus Nursery. We continue to offer thousands of plants, including three different forms of Acnistus, to our customers all over the world. We have had an amazing shipping season and are proud to have provided hard to find plant material to customers throughout the US and world. Our actual shipping costs to the east coast are often higher than the prices we charge, and that does not include pulling the plant, the packing materials and packing time and expertise. We are a small nursery and consistently try to go out of our way to accommodate our customers. Mr. Grieps expectation for our rural mail carrier to be able to pick up 20 boxes a day is unreasonable.

Below is the entire correspondence between myself and Mr. Griep, beginning with the last comments.

On Apr 25, 2007, at 3:32 PM, Dale Griep wrote:

You are either lazy or dim, I really can't tell which.

On April 25, 2007 3:12:08 PM PDT, Joshua Mccullough wrote:

Dale,

Sorry for the amount of time it has taken me to get back to you. I appreciate all the good information. Would be glad to take your order as previously stated at actual cost ($10) with our carrier, DHL. It is just too much to get alternate boxes, call the carrier, etc. so that is all I can offer at this time. I will explore your suggested method more as I am able.

Hope you have a chance to visit some day and not have to worry about shipping!

Best wishes,

503 621-2233

On Apr 18, 2007, at 2:34 PM, Dale Griep wrote:

Josh, the USPS will pick up packages, Your letter carrier would be happy to take it with them. If you ask they will give you a free box (to help keep you costs down). I am guessing that you have rural delivery.

Yes, I am willing to take responsiblity if you ship US Mail. You should be able to ship one bareroot plant via Priority Mail in a Flat Rate box for $8.10. and it will be here in 2 days. There are other options with the Post Office and they are faster than DHL or UPS. I have sent single plants for as low as 4.05. First class only takes three days.

I ship plants all over the country and it never takes over 3 days via Priority Mail.
Here is their website...

Here is info on flat rate boxes....

With a flat rate box (weight does not matter) you should be able to ship up to three 1gallon bareroot plants, if they are modest sized (foilage). Some places I order from have cut back the foliage a modest amount, others down to nubs and some not at all.

On Apr 17, 2007, at 2:22:59 PM, Joshua McCullough wrote:

Dale,

Our ground shipping option (DHL) costs us $10 and will be 7 days in transit. The post office is 10 miles away. If you are willing to take full responsibility for how the plants look on arrival I would be glad to process an order as such.

Best,

503 621-2233 nursery

On Apr 17, 2007, at 12:53 PM, Dale Griep wrote:

I am wouldn't mind if you bare root it in a flat rate box/priority mail with the USPS. Acnictis can handle 3 days in a box.

On April 17, 2007 12:53:02 PM PDT Joshua McCullough wrote:

Dale,

Thanks for your inquiry. That is the way our shipping is set up. It does penalize people wanting only one plant in some cases. If you are interested in ordering this and dissuaded by the shipping cost I could see about a direct shipping quote.

Best,

503 621-2233 nursery

On Apr 17, 2007, at 4:22 AM, Dale Griep wrote:

You have a plant I want, Acnistus australis 'Lago Azul'. My zipcode is 33605. Do I understand correctly that the shipping on this $12 plant is $21?

Positive ecrane3
Dublin, CA (Zone 9a)
August 10, 2006
I just discovered Cistus, and they have the rarer and more unusual plants that I love! Not only that, but my plants arrived very promptly and in wonderful condition. My only suggestion would be I wish there was regular online ordering, instead of having to call or fax in the order form--a very minor gripe though and not something that would stop me from purchasing in the future. I'll definitely order again!
Positive gowron
Athens, GA
October 8, 2005
A Triple A+ rating on all accounts. The plants are of superb quality and very reasonably priced for the size and quality. Shipping is very fast and at cost, packaging is excellent. And their customer service is just unbeatable - there was a confusion with one of the plants that I ordered and they sent a replacement at no charge. They also stayed on top of the problem until it was resolved. Their inventory of rare plants is also quite impressive. This company deserves to be more widely known - I will do my part among my friends and will order from them regularly.
Positive 0007
Fresno, CA
September 25, 2005
The best..best place I ever dealt with. Plants were humongous (?) fantastic looking and with BLOOMS. Packed professionally, rec'd in superb condition. Visits their website once a week at least. EXCELLENT JOB.

Doris in Fresno
Positive RWhiz
Spring Valley, CA (Zone 10a)
August 16, 2005
Last year I ordered two Bomareas along with some other things. One did well, the other passed on. When the plants arrived, they were in excellent condition and packaged outstandingly. I take responsibility for killing the one plant.

Anyway, I e-mailed them and let them know how the plants were doing and mentioned that one expired. They promptly replied they could send another one free of charge.

I didn't take up the offer because it was my fault. But is that service or what?

Highly recommended.

Positive ching
Austin, TX
July 21, 2005
I just received my second order from Cistus. Both orders were processed and arrived in less than a week, in perfect condition. The plants are huge! This is by far the best place to buy rare plants. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Be sure to look at the 2004 catalog.

John
Positive BlueLotus
Graham, WA
July 1, 2004
I visited this nursery a couple of weeks ago and absolutely loved the place and the staff. They were immensely helpful and all the plants I purchased are doing great. I highly recommend this nursery and the prices are super.
Positive anther
June 13, 2004
Unbelievable! I just received an 8' Crinodendron hookeri from these guys. They strapped it in box on a pallet and took care of FedEx shipping. A rare plant, specimen sized arrived 3000 miles away still in full bloom. A pleasure to work with. Can't say enough good things about them.