The scoop on 'Nola's Iris Garden (Prevost Ranch and Gardens)'

Nola's Iris Garden (Prevost Ranch and Gardens)

4195 Sierra Road
San Jose, California 95132 (United States)

Phone: 408-929-6307

Posted on August 8, 2012, updated August 16, 2012
Posted on August 8, 2012, updated August 8, 2012
Posted on August 7, 2012, updated August 8, 2012
Posted on August 6, 2012, updated August 7, 2012
Receiving the iris shipment from Nola's Garden made me break into tears.

Especially after reading everyone else's raving reviews.
This is the first time I ordered from Nola's Garden.

I was anxiously waiting for my order to arrive and I was so excited when the box came.

I opened it and LO ! The iris variety I ordered had been substituted with an iris variety I already have growing in my garden.... if I had wanted to open a box and see THAT iris....I'd have dug it out of my own garden and saved myself the shipping...and a month of anticipation.

On top of it... the iris that were sent were dinky. I'm o.k. with small if it's the one I want... but DRY and DINKY of the variety I already have just made me cry. I could have dug my own and sent myself much bigger ones for free!

Did I mention that I commented on the shipping when I placed the order that I did not want substitutions? I did type that message. Apparently it was overlooked. I would have at minimum appreciated a phone call or email notifying me of the substitution. I would have contacted her immediately and ordered a different little tiny dinky dry variety of iris.

And then I wondered if I had made a mistake in choosing Nola's Garden so I read the reviews to double check and these other posts say iris they received were huge.... and it made me wonder if Nola just didn't like me and that's why I got the dinky ones. One of them was the size of a penny.

(When I ordered from another company they sent me two of any variety that was small...and the ones I got two of were twice as big as what I got from Nola.

I got two dinky bonuses... and then one large rhizome bonus. But when I looked the variety up online I almost had a heart attack. I thought that flower was so homely ... it had to be something only a mother/father could love. I would never deliberately buy such a thing. Again, I wondered if Nola just didn't like me. It was like a bonus insult to order injury.

I didn't have much money or space in my garden.

I was actually crying when I planted the little things....
right next to my plump iris of the same variety.

Next time I want a variety of "Assorted" unknown small dry bearded irises I will order from Spring Hill. Theirs are a little larger small dry irises and they are five times cheaper.

I feel like ordering from Nola's Garden was a waste of time and money for me.

Spring Hill would have sent me twice as many of the wrong variety and species for the same price.... in a way.... I feel I got jipped even in getting the number of wrong variety of irises I didn't order.
On August 7th, 2012, hornetstingme added the following:

I sent an email as well as left a message to Nola to speak with her concerning my order and both have been ignored for days now. I wondered if perhaps she would want to exchange what she sent. It appears to me she does not consider her own product she sent me worth a phone call or email reply.

During the time I was waiting for my order I had emailed her and received a prompt response. Not once in our email discourses did she mention she was altering my order. But after she received my money and dumped whatever she needed to get rid of in my box she has no time to respond....she doesn't want to talk about it.

I will not be ordering from Provost again and I do not recommend any other person order from Provost. Go to Blue J Iris or South Jersey Iris for excellent product and service and the assurance that you will be given the right to be involved with what varieties you buy.
On August 7th, 2012, hornetstingme changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I received an email from Nola's husband.

A huge misunderstanding.

He would like to re do the order and try getting me some larger rhizomes. I did not specify which iris I thought were pretty to begin with and it is unfair for me to expect Provost Ranch to use my own judgement in choosing for me.

He pointed out to me that my comment on the order about substitutions said that I wanted a color "Such As" the one I already had. Since his catalog didn't have that iris... I was shocked to get it and he thought that was what I wanted...and that he was getting me what I wanted.

He also mentioned that the drought had made some of the rhizomes very small. He asked me to make a list of around ten varieties that I thought were pretty and he would see if he could get me some larger rhizomes.

I am a compassionate person and I realize that it's got to be tough to be in business in the middle of a drought when you depend upon rain.

come to think of it....whenever my flowers do bloom I've never had anyone jump out of their vehicle and come measure the rhizome. The rhizomes he sent should be large enough to bloom by next year.

The response Mr Provost sent me was gracious and I would like to retract my statement about doing business with Provost. They say they do want their customers to be happy. I was emotional. They must be busy people and I should have more patience in allowing them plenty of time to respond during shipping season.

I want to be fair with the Provosts so I offered to go ahead and count two of the small rhizomes equivalent to one large one and still have the iris he sent count toward my order that way he doesn't have to re do an entire order. I emailed him a list of iris in his garden that I think are pretty so they don't have to try and read my mind.

For the record I told him that I would be happy with ANY of the iris I listed.... I also told him that small rhizomes would be o.k. if he sent two small ones in the place of one large one...like the other company did.

I want to be a reasonable person for them to deal with.
I want to give them a chance to made me exceedingly happy.

On August 8th, 2012, hornetstingme changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Thank You for the iris !!!!!!

I'm changing my rating to a positive
On August 16th, 2012, hornetstingme added the following:

Wow.

He sent me more iris just like he said.

They were from the list of iris I liked and they were HUGE!

Every single one. Perfectly clean and so fresh they were crispy green with lots of strong white roots.

I'm under the illusion he went out and found the largest rhizomes on his lot.

They were AWESOME IRIS!
Positive Old_Gardener
Calabasas, CA
August 11, 2012
I have struggled for a day between leaving *neutral* feedback or *positive* feedback...

This year, I placed iris orders with 5 different companies for comparison purposes. I placed my order with Prevost on May 3 and, at that time, requested that my order be shipped asap/ with the first shipment of iris. On 8/7, I emailed Prevost to check the status of my order as my iris had not yet been shipped even though I had received notice that shipping had begun on 8/2. Gary replied within a couple of hours informing me that my request had been overlooked but the iris would be dug and shipped the following day (8/8).I received my order Friday, 8/10.

On the positive side:
-customer service has been very responsive
-the rhizomes are clean and plump
-the iris were packed well
-I was sent twice the number of rhizomes for some of the iris ordered (the 3 least expensive ones).
-the two bonus iris received are nice - they were the 2 largest rhizomes in the box.

The negative (and the reason I considered leaving a *neutral* rating):
- the rhizomes were by far the smallest of all the iris I have received this year even though they cost approximately the same amount as the other companies.
-even though they sent 2 for every 1 iris ordered of the 3 least expensive iris I bought, even 2 of their rhizomes combined were smaller than single rhizomes purchased from at least 3 other companies (and I am comparing "like" iris).

I am leaving a *positive* rating, though, because I believe the positives outweigh the negatives. All in all, the rhizomes are viable and, with time, I am sure they will perform just fine. However, Prevost/Nola's would not be my first choice when ordering iris as I have received much larger, more substantial rhizomes elsewhere for the same price but I would order from them if I could not locate an iris that I "had to have" elsewhere.
Positive Kandi7
Tekamah, NE
October 13, 2011
nice sized and healthy bulbs, reasonably priced and they even added some bonuses :)
Positive JenniferRuth
San Diego, CA (Zone 10b)
September 15, 2010
Wowsa, that's all I can say. I found Nola's Iris Garden through Dave's Garden and ordered 15 iris from them. Some were on sale (I ordered toward the end of the season). They arrived a couple of days ago, looking very healthy. Some were very large, others more moderate, but they were so full of increase that on several of them I felt like I was getting an instant clump. Some were rather small, and on those they sent me two.

This company has a very extensive selection of rebloomers, and they make the effort to specify what climate zones each will rebloom in. I like the way the website is organized. It has the rebloomers grouped together, the fragrant ones grouped together, etc.

They also replied promptly to a couple of emails I sent them.

Jennifer
Positive schnauzerlady
Hillsville, VA
April 2, 2009
I first ordered in 2007 and the plants were delivered and sat unplanted for months. I finally poped them in the ground and got beautiful flowers for my effert. Last year, I wanted to order early and get the best plants and colors. My plants came. Large healthy ones. If I chose something that was extra cheap and turned out on the small size, they gave me extras.of that plant. I wrote them that I was computer challanged and couldn't find info about colors of previously ordered plant sand I was taught how to better navigate their site and find what I was looking for. Over this winter, the deer have pulled my iris out and tossed them in the air leaving the plants every where. No matter, they are starting to green up even after laying on top of the ground all winter. Now if I can just figure out what color they are!. I already have my list ready for 2009. Brousing their online catalog makes winter go by faster.
Positive BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA
October 17, 2008
Great selection, reasonable price, stress-free ordering process, quality rhizomes, and friendly service ... you can expect and will receive all of these when you order from Nola's/Prevost. I had a wonderful experience with my multiple orders from this grower this year. I will definitely be a repeat customer in seasons to come. A++++ Ev =)
Positive iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY (Zone 6a)
October 1, 2008
im speechless ! these iris are so big and the ones that wernt as big as my hand they gave 3 of !! ill be first in line next year . the bonuses were great rebloomers and fragrant my fave
Positive DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC (Zone 9a)
February 17, 2008
I placed a substantial order for shipment in fall of 2007 and was exceedingly impressed with the exceptional size, health, and quality of the robust rhizomes received, a number of which could only be described as massive. I believe these may, in fact, have been 'the' largest and most impressive I have yet received from any vendor.

My order arrived at the designated time with all items well packed and in excellent condition.

At this time I am eagerly awaiting the opportunity to place my 08 order!
On April 25th, 2008, scutler added the following:

Spring has arrived, and I am thrilled to announce the incredible success of the iris I ordered from this vendor. The truth is that after my order arrived last fall, I got busy with other things and didn't get around to planting them until WAY after cut-off date for my area. Our winters are pretty mild (8b), but I've read that irises should be in the ground here no later than the end of Nov. I'm embarrassed to admit that I planted mine in late Jan and early Feb of 2008! I felt guilty for letting such huge, healthy rhizomes go to waste - as I figured they wouldn't have time to establish healthy roots before summer.)

Incredibly, not only did they survive but a mere 2 months later, starting in April, they were blooming, and that's not all. Where as I am accustomed to seeing 1 to 2, maybe 3 blooms on a newly planted rhizome, these are decked out in a half dozen or more blooms. Some have multiple stalks, each with numerous blooms. I've really never seen newly planted rhizomes bloom like this before. I'm sure it is due to the incredible size and vigor of the rhizomes I received.

I will absolutely order from this vendor again. If you are trying to decide whether to place an order, I can't recommend them enough. (If the vendor is reading, may I say, "Thank you! Please keep up the great work")
Positive austintxplanter
Austin, TX
October 24, 2006
Nola's irises sent beautiful, fresh, healthy rhizomes. They give personal attention to your order and even thought it was late in the season, they were still able to send my complete order and they also included several additional BONUS varieties. Plants were reasonably priced, shipping was fast, the plants were well packed and arrived in great shape. I can't think of another thing a buyer could want!!! I can greatly recommend Nola's as the place to buy irises.
Positive tj0504
Saint Louis, MO
October 13, 2006
I am new to ordering iris, and I didn't start until August. Theirs was the first company I ordered from...and the last I received. With that exception, everything else was perfect. The rhizomes were well hydrated in spite of a six day trip from California to Alabama, with generous fan/rhizome size. Their e-mails were answered promptly.

Even though I placed the orders late, I received every single rhizome I ordered. When I asked about a particular variety from Leota's and not shown on their website, they included it as one of many bonus iris.

It was an excellent experience, and I will order from them again next year.
On May 5th, 2007, tj0504 changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

The above comments were made out of my belief that certain of my experiences were isolated incidents, and my own tendency not to slam anyone.
I had problems with Nola's from the beginning to the end of my experience with them. According to them, I ordered late in the season. I was given a ship date in late August, and before I received it, I placed another order. In total I spent $350-400 perhaps more. The plants were paid at the time of the order, at my request. Again at my request, the first order was to be shipped with the second, which was to have been in Early-mid September. It wasn't received. Nor did I receive a response to the email. I called, and was rather rudely advised of another ship date. That one didn't happen either. I again emailed, I don't remember the response only that it, too, was rather terse. I gave up, contacted the card company in anticipation of disputing the charges. Finally, in October, I received the rhizomes. They appeared healthy. I planted them, and as feared, our weather turned cold. Many failed to put on new growth, and in mid November or so, I dug them up to see why. They had cold rotted. I contacted the company, via email. They checked, found they had indeed promised me earlier ship dates. They said there had been a death in the family. I let it go. At no time have I asked for replacements, which is good because at no time have they been offered.

This year I contacted them with the actual number of casualties, and again I neither asked for, nor expected, nor cared about replacements. I advised them that I was leary based on last year's experience and wanted some assurance that there would be no repeats. I feel that is understandable. They have a large selection of rebloomers that I would like to have ordered from, but it won't happen.
The pattern of last year has already repeated itself. That was two months ago, and I still have received no response. My experience of their customer service left me with the belief that it is non-existent.
On May 29th, 2007, tj0504 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Soon after this post I received a reply to my last email to them. They apologized for prior oversites, and persistently offered to replace those that were lost. Customer service, rather than replacements were of greater concern to me.

This contact seems to have been triggered by this post, however I have been assured that it was an isolated incident, and that every effort has been made to ensure it does not happen again.

I did send them another order, and will update later upon its receipt. In the meantime, I am changing the negative to a neutral.
On September 13th, 2007, tj0504 changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I am changing my rating to a positive. As stated in my last post, they seem to browse this site,take note of complaints and follow up on the issues found in those complaints. Nor did they attempt to make excuses for the failures of last years orders.

This year, I again requested an early ship date, and it was honored without issue. The health and appearance of the rhizomes was never an issue. Their rhizomes are an excellent size with more than one fan in most cases. Further, the one replacement I really hated losing was sitting squarely on the top layer. This year, as last, they were generous with bonus iris.

Positive Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ (Zone 9a)
March 30, 2006
Wonderful, helpful people. Quickly answers e-mails and sends healthy, good sized rhizomes. Nice extras too. Good prices and very accommodating. Great experience! Would buy from Nola's again. Recommended. :-)
Positive RNB68
Victorville, CA (Zone 8a)
September 16, 2005
Nola's is wonderful! Rhizomes large, plump and FRESH. Substitutions were very nice as were the many bonuses. Gary is super nice and worked with me when due to personal circumstances I had to request early shippment. Will totally order from Nola's again. Highly recommend Nola's!
Positive Sally_G
Sunnyvale, CA
July 25, 2005
NOLA'S IS THE BEST !!!
I caught Iris Virus last year and ordered from 3 mail order houses a total of 80 irises, keeping the 3 batches separate (a test garden). Nola's were by far the best rhyzomes I received, they were hydrated so well and looked as though they had just been dug up. The 2 substitutions were fabulous choices and I received "many extras". All the irises bloomed! My neighbors are still talking about their beauty. MANY THANKS!
On April 8th, 2006, Sally_G added the following:

2005 was my 2nd year ordering from Nola's. They now have the b-e-s-t tags on iris rhyzomes...and all are growing well.
Positive 4LadyLeslie
Tucson, AZ
April 1, 2005
Last fall I ordered 20 Rebloooming Tall Bearded Iris' that are now covering the walls of my garden BEAUTIFULLY!! I had ordered from other companies before and the rootstock on these were INCREDIBLE!! EVERY ONE of them are THRIVING- I have even noticed that the "Hells Fire" is getting ready to send up a second set of shoots already!! I HIGHLY RECOMMMEND ordering!!

All emails were answered in a FRIENDLY and INFORMATIVE manner. Living in AZ- Gary was kind enought to schedule my shipping for the right planting time for my region. This year, I am so happy with my new iris collection that I will be addind more-- but ONLY FROM NOLA'S!!! Their prices are beyond compare and the product is OUTSTANDING!!!
Positive GardenGardner
Huachuca City, AZ
March 7, 2005
I logged on to Nola's and never wanted to leave, I spent hours looking at the STUNNING photos and realized how great this site was in comparison to the others out there.

I bought for both myself and my mom as a gift and they answered my questions quickly and in depth w/ great service and also shipped my orders separately with the one to my mom as a gift and the other to me in Arizona.

My account was billed the correct amount in a timely manner.
The rhizomes arrived in great packaging, well labeled and in great shape, and I had extras to boot!! More than I had ordered. Also, the one substitution was for a far more expensive iris that was as close to what I ordered as humanly possible.
I would definitley buy again, and when I go to Northern California, my mom and I are going to go visit in person.
Excellent service and iris for those of us who have "iris virus".
Positive Elphaba
Rockport, TX (Zone 9a)
March 7, 2005
Last fall, I bought irises from Nola's and from another company. Nola's bulbs were twice the size and have produced much bigger, healthier plants. I planted them in mid-October. Hell's Fire bloomed in January. Phantom Masquerade started blooming in February and is still blooming in March. It has a 42" bud stalk that has already produced four giant stunning flowers and there are at least three more buds ready to open. Black Fantasy is sending up a bud stalk now and the others appear to be getting ready to bloom too. I'm thrilled and amazed by the vigorous growth of the irises from Nola's Iris Garden.
Neutral 4747
Chula Vista, CA
September 29, 2004
Was very disappointed in the rhizomes, they were small and not very healthy looking. Even though they substituted very expensive plants for those they could not ship I was disappointed. My garden is extremely small and I only order those rhizomes I really would like to add to my garden.

I was impressed with the fact they did keep me updated on shipping dates, which was appreciated.

Reading all the other reviews, I see everyone was very happy with their rhizomes so I will definitely order from Nola's next year - perhaps this was a one time
happening.
Positive SciFiFan42
Grand Prairie, TX
September 24, 2004
What an excellent company! I ordered a total of 11 Iris plants from them. I received them exactly when they were scheduled to be delivered (i.e. quick shipping, no delays!) and the first thing I noticed when I opened the boxes was how healthy looking the plants were.

The second thing I quickly noticed was how many extra Iris I received! Along with the 11 I ordered, I received an additional 6 plants, several of the same variety that I had ordered, and several of completely different varieties that color-matched perfectly with what I had wanted.

Nola's Iris Garden has wonderful prices, an excellent selection and healthy stock, and great customer service. I couldn't have asked for anything more. :)
Positive gizzmo93
Iowa City, IA (Zone 5a)
August 13, 2004
I ordered $120 worth of iris. They look great & Gary was extremely helpful in getting these delivered to me quickly. All my emails were answered promptly & though I probably drove him nuts with my questions - he never showed it. These are very nice people who really care about the quality of what they send & customer service & satisfaction. Thank you again - you have earned a repeat customer here!
On September 1st, 2004, gizzmo93 added the following:

Ordered again - just couldn't help myself:) As always - great prices & rhizomes! Thanks again
Positive doss
Stanford, CA (Zone 9b)
August 12, 2004
Hi! I am writing because, while I have not received any plants from them (just ordered yesterday) . They were really great helping me with the web site and the personal service cannot be more outstanding. Just a hint to avoid some possible trouble, pay by check, as PayPal ( who is also handling their credit cards) is not quite on line yet. This is as of 8/11/04. They are working hard to solve this problem but you (and Nola and John I'll bet) will be grateful if you use the check option for awhile. See, I am on a first name basis already They ended with asking me to come and visit them. (They are close by.)

So A++++++++ for customer service. You already have someone in this string who has seen the plants and has given them high marks. Can't wait.
Positive rosetime
San Jose, CA
July 19, 2004
I visited this new garden in San Jose after reading about them in the local paper. The plants I have purchased from them are excellent and because they are new, their prices are terrific! Highly recommended!