The scoop on 'White Oak Nursery'

White Oak Nursery

White Oak Nursery has 92 products listed in PlantScout.

801 W. Washington Street
Geneva, New York 14456 (United States)

Company Comment, posted on November 19, 2004:
White Oak Nursery grows over 80 species of native shade trees, flowering trees and shrubs all native to the Northeast. I continue to propagate and offer new varieties of native plants that you won't find anywhere else.

I supply container grown plants that are actively growing with a healthy root system. Healthy roots means a healthy plant. The roots determine whether a plant will live and flourish or languish and die. Container grow plants suffer little transplant shock, are quick to establish and begin growing in their new home. Why buy a bareroot stick and take a gamble when you can have a live actively growing plant immediatley.

My plants are reasonably priced to make these plants more affordable to you. Affordability will encourage you to use more plants in your landscapes so you can create larger and more diverse plantings.

Native plants provide two important values for the price of one. They provide important benefits for native wildlife like birds and butterflies that are entirely dependent on native plants for their very survival. They also provide all the amazing ornamental interest that you want in your landscape.

Besides providing you with the healthiest plants possible I want to share my knowledge an interest with you. My website http://www.whiteoaknuyrsery.biz provides numerous how to articles to help you create wildlife habitat, control invasive species, grow your own plants from seed and landscape your own piece of nature.

I limit my sales to surrounding states of the Northeast, Mid Atlantic states and Midwest that have a similar climate to New York State. Because native plants are genetically adapted to local climatic zones in which they evolved, I will not ship to the West Coast, Plains States, Southwest or Southern States. For best survival, purchase plants grown from stock plants as close to your planting site as possible. Support your local native plant nurseries.

I strive to supply you with the healthiest plants possible that will provide you with many years of enjoyment and beauty. I also hope to increase your interest in native plants and preserving our natural horticultural treasures.

I look forward to serving you.

Sincerely,
Jim Engel

Comments:

Positive rbarry99
Andover, MA
September 18, 2014
I've purchased many plants from White Oak over the past several years and have always been very satisfied with the experience. I have evolved in my gardening into only growing native and/or edible species and White Oak carries many native tree and shrub species which are very difficult or almost impossible to find anywhere else. Their plant and shipping prices are very reasonable and the quality of the plants has consistently been excellent, shipped in generous pots full of soil. The tops of the plants are often on the small size, but being as healthy as they are and with such excellent root systems they become established and grow very quickly. Jim has always been a pleasure to deal with. Plus his book on growing native plants you can order through the web site is excellent and a wonderful resource regardless of your level of experience! A+!
Positive upstatetj
Central Square, NY
August 30, 2010
Posted on August 9, 2010, updated August 30, 2010
I purchased 7 plants 5 decidious trees 2 shrubs. Jim helped pack them up for a 50 mile ride on the backseat of my little car. They are so healthy and doing great, Jim gives great advice for his plants, I have some knowledge but am just a beginner. He answered countless of my questions, it was like a class. I could have payed money for all of the information he shared with me on a warm august morning at his nursery. I have decided to go with 90% native plants at my property after reading the website and talking with Jim.
On August 30th, 2010, upstatetj added the following:

Positive doctrtim
Salisbury, VT
May 12, 2009
I appreciate the personalized information service Jim provided via email and his philosophy of supporting native plantings. I ordered four items (three trees and a shrub). The price for each was $7. The size of the root media/pot was much larger than found with other more expensive mail order resources. There were even live worms in the soil. Good size and quality plants packaged incredibly well for shipping.
Positive Jsorens
Buffalo, NY (Zone 6a)
May 12, 2008
I picked up some trees & shrubs from Jim about a month ago, and a month later they are all showing new growth. You can count on his plants' being healthy and enjoying good root development (he uses pots that allow roots to grow into the soil beneath if necessary). Highly recommended.
Positive treeguy_NY
West Seneca, NY (Zone 6a)
April 25, 2008
I ordered two plants from this company this spring. Both were in excellent condition and a very good size for the price paid. Jim was even nice enough to work around my schedule and travel plans, allowing me to pick up plants at a time that was convenient for me. I have no experience with receiving mail order purchases from this nursery, but the plants I received were large, healthy, and relatively inexpensive for their size.
Positive cathyb53
Newfield, NY (Zone 5a)
March 21, 2007
Jim Engel provides a unique and valuable service, with his emphasis on using native plants and restoration of natural landscape. Best of all for me, he is actually located within a couple of hours drive of my recently-acquired property! His philosophy of gardening is perfectly aligned with my own - plus I actually live within range of his extensive services.

His website alone is well worth a look. Very informative, even if you don't buy plants or services from him. Check it out - there's a lot to learn.

He provides an excellent consultation service. Rarely have I learned so much in such a short time as when he came, in the deep snow of a March storm, to assess my land and discuss the possibilities! He spent 2 1/2 hrs with me, for the very reasonable fee of $150, and I am more than happy to be able to hire him to supply and install native trees & shrubs that will provide beauty and habitat, all the while helping to restore natural balance to my old-field land. If you live within 100 miles of his business (nursery is in Canadaigua, home in Geneva NY) and order at least 20 trees/shrubs, he provides a service that includes the plants (in 5"x8" pots) and planting, staking, and caging them against deer & rabbits, for only $13.00/plant. What a bargain!

But best of all, Jim is passionate about the importance of restoring our native landscape for its optimum health as well as the beauty we seek. Rarely have I met an individual as committed to the environment, and to maintaining natural communities in a vital, balanced, & mutually beneficial state. I am thrilled to be able to work with him, and I expect that the plants he provides will add to the positive balance of nature rather than fight against it as so many gardening practices do. I'll keep you posted - I'm expecting this planting to be a long-term one, so there should be plenty more to tell in this story!
Positive betsyacorn
South Milwaukee, WI
November 20, 2004
I appreciated working with Jim at White Oak because we shared a passion for native plant material and habitat restoration. He collected seeds locally, and his trees and shrubs were reliably hardy. As a landscape designer, I had difficulty finding locally grown material, as well as plants that could be handled comfortably without heavy machinery. White Oak fills a great need.
Positive HYardGarden
Seneca Falls, NY
November 19, 2004
I have purchased nursery stock from White Oak Nursery both for my own use and for clients, and have always been pleased with the quality. In fact, I tend to incorporate their stock into my designs. Jim has a great knowledge of native shrubs and trees and also volunteers this knowledge to community groups in the Finger Lakes area.