The scoop on 'AAA Ornamentals'

AAA Ornamentals

8S953 Jericho Road
Big Rock, Illinois 60511 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free (price list)

Visit AAA Ornamentals at:

Comments:

Positive rkr4cds
Elmhurst, IL (Zone 5a)
May 1, 2012
Due to health issues, we Northern Il. customers know that AAA Ornamentals have had to close their business. It's too bad, too, because visiting their property was a treat, seeing the actual plants one is purchasing in the natural setting of a very, very large front garden/yard of a real family.
Positive sillybug5
Winston Salem, NC (Zone 7a)
May 7, 2009
Qaudruple POSITIVE experience with this gem of a company!!! The biggest, healthiest hostas I have EVER received by mail in many years of gardening. You get alot for your money here, unlike about 4 other companies I have ordered from this year. I was truly amazed. The packaging was excellent as well. BRAVO to you, AAA Ornamentals!!
Positive ConeflowerCate
Rockford, IL
July 16, 2005
I live in Illinois so was able to purchase plants (hostas, ornamental grasses, huechera) on site for the past 2 summers. Great plants, friendly/helpful people/competitive prices for this area--they'll see me again next year.
Positive maxxy
Aurora, IL
May 2, 2005
I have been to AAA a couple of times, since I live in the area. I would highly recommend AAA for the hosta finatic. High quality plants, and many to choose from. A little pricey, but, well worth the trip!
Negative Sunny10
Dunlap, TN
April 24, 2004
I purchased from this company when I found they had the Hakonechloa I was searching for. I ordered five of them as well as several other grasses and a couple of hosta. None of these plants looked healthy but I gave them excellent care and hoped for the best. I lost all but one of the Hako grass which is tiny but should make it now. The other plants though very small are doing well. I contacted the company about the ones I lost and got no response. I feel that for the price I paid they could make some kind of compensation but I didn't even get an answer to my email.
Company representative comment on August 23, 2007:

On Aug 22, 2007 7:04 PM, AAA Ornamentals added:

I researched this comment thoroughly and found that this customer contacted me via the email contact information that was listed on the Garden Watchdog. Unfortunately, the email address listed was not a valid address at that time because of heavy spam issues. It wasn't until this spring (2007) that with better spam tools I was able to 'reclaim' my favoriate address.

I've also sent an email to the customer offering $50 worth of hostas to be sent to compensate for the loss.

Sincerely, Gregory Miller

Neutral Coni
Milford, MI
July 8, 2003
Purchased and planted a Miscanthus sinensis "purpurascens" in the spring of 2002. The plant arrived in a very small pot, root bound and struggled for the rest of the year. To my surprize this plant took off like crazy this year and it very large and healthy. It just goes to say that you never really know how the plants will do until the next year.
Negative grassgirl
May 31, 2003
I placed my order, online, in February for delivery at the end of April / beginning of May. When I placed my order, I received a confirmation that my order was received and would be charged when the plants were shipped. Good news is my card was never charged. Bad news is I haven't heard ANYTHING back from them and of course, no plants.

When the delivery date came and went with no acknowledgement, I sent 3 very polite emails over the course of 5 business days inquiring where my plants were, could we reschedule, etc. No response at all.

Perhaps they are too busy to take care of online orders? If so, they should remove that functionality from their website.

So I took my business elsewhere to Bluestone Perennials and Santa Rosa Gardens - both online - both successful and I received nice, healthy grasses and plants.

Company representative comment on August 12, 2007:

On Aug 12, 2007 11:40 AM, AAA Ornamentals added:

Having just seen this comment 4 years later on this website, my only response is that had we received an email we would have responsed, or the shopping cart encountered some type of processing error which prevented us from picking up the order. In our electronic world things do go wrong or mistakes are made. We appologize for the errors that happened to prevented us from corresponding to a new customer. Sincerely, Gregory

Positive jzazz
May 9, 2003
Was very pleased with the quality of plants I received. Though one or two were potbound, they nevertheless performed well. Would recommend this company for purchasing hostas and ornamental grasses.
Positive cowgardener
Southport, ME
February 3, 2003
We ordered the annual Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum' for our New England garden and the plants performed very well through the season. Hosta 'Patriot' was also of excellent size for the price. Festuca 'Golden Toupee' was extremely small. We have been generally pleased with their plants. The website is a bit cumbersome but we did receive a follow-up phone call regarding our order.
Positive Vicky7080
March 29, 2002
Great place for mail order hostas with quite a selection. Excellent advice on hosta care at their website. I WILL buy from them again!