The scoop on 'Rick's Custom Nursery'

Rick's Custom Nursery

48 Cold Run Drive
Lexington, Virginia 24450 (United States)

Fax: 540-464-1864

This company offers a variety of plants and seeds.

Comments:

Positive BvrCtyGardener
Monaca, PA
June 21, 2011
The plants I ordered, 2 caryopteris "Snow Fairy" arrived in excellent condition and were a more than generous size for quart pots. Not only was Debbie so professional and knowlegable, she stayed in close email contact while we searched for a shipping "window" in hot, miserable weather. My conclusion: these folks really know and love their plants, and listened intently when I described why I needed the plant. I couldn't be happier with the results! And for the record ... this plant does NOT smell like cat urine or turpentine to me. It is gorgeously perfect for my landscaping needs! Thanks, Debbie & Rick. I plan to be back again.
Positive dirt_idig
Stuart, VA
May 23, 2010
Posted on April 26, 2008, updated May 23, 2010
This is a wonderful company to do business with. The contact was made by e-mail and always the morning following my message. The plants I received were "Top Notch". I will definately order again. They carry many plants that are not widely available. Prices were very reasonable as well. Plants were packaged very well. One of the best companies I have ever ordered from.
On May 23rd, 2010, dirt_idig added the following:

Have ordered from Rick's a few years now, with no bad experiences. Their service is unbelievable......and the plants are too. This company should be a top 5.....just can't say enough good about them. I see many years together for us in the future. You can't go wrong with Rick's Custom Nursery!!
Positive dirthound
Cohocton, NY
May 8, 2009
Excellent plants,communication and shipping, even got refund of ship cost not used. Debbie answers all questions,
keeps you informed all the way.They should be in top 30 in Daves Garden,check them out,you will not be disappointed.
Positive tonykaz
Fishkill, NY
April 23, 2009
I was looking for a specific plant. Contacted Rick's. Said they would check their stock the next morning to see if they had good stock that wern't hurt by the winter. Contacted me the next day and told me the condition and price. I ordered and they delivered prompty. Plants were in good shape and well packaged.
Positive mimimc
Ridgeland, MS
September 30, 2008
I ordered from Rick's Custom nursery for the first time after seeing all the positive responses on the web site. I highly recommend them. They were quick to respond to my e-mails and the package arrived just as they promised. All the plants are so healthy and quite a nice size for mail order plants. They have adjusted well to their new home.
Positive stormyla
Norristown, PA (Zone 6b)
September 30, 2008
This nursery is a "Must" for all shade gardeners, and for that matter, all gardeners.

I recently placed a VERY large order from them and the plants and service exceeded all expectations. 90% of my plant purchases are made via mail, so I am well familiar with the plants and services available.

The size and quality of the plants are much better than any of the well know catalogue companies and the prices are very reasonable. This nursery grows their plants outdoors and they are "Garden ready".

The owners are helpful and friendly and won't sell any plant before it's time or past it's prime! I received personal emails from them with growing tips and suggestions.

Their only shortcoming is the lack of an online ordering system. But don't let that stop you. They accept orders by email and fax . A trip to Rick's is sure to please!!
Positive carok
Continental, OH
August 31, 2008
I'm very pleased with Rick's Custom Nursery. I've ordered heucheras from them twice this summer and have received beautiful, healthy plants from them both times. The plants were all well rooted and are looking very happy in my garden now, unlike some I've received that seem to melt away in the heat.

Rick's has kept me informed each step of the way after I've placed my orders.

They even gave me a free plant. I had ordered an item that they no longer carry but they had a few plants left over in their stock so they shipped me the plant free of charge (postage paid). Needless to say, I'm very pleased with this nursery!
Positive petrossp
Washington, DC
August 29, 2008
Absolutely one of the BEST nurseries I have ordered from -- hands down. Plants are large and healthy (or they'll usually tell you otherwise.) They are packed beautifully. Prices are very good. They're informative and ready to help (focusing on plants right for you, not ones they're trying to push.) Can't recommend them highly enough!
Positive EFBrandt
Rochester, NY
June 19, 2008
If you want extremely healthy plants that will have you exclaim "WOW" with every gorgeous specimen you pull out of your well-packed box, by all means, order from Rick's Custom Nursery.

If you want fantastic service and 101% customer satisfaction, by all means, order from Rick's Custom Nursery.

If you want extremely reasonable shipping costs and be charged only for plants that are sent out for you, by all means, order from Rick's Custom Nursery.

I highly recommend this nursery and it should be on Dave's Garden Watchdog “TOP TEN”.

On June 22nd, 2009, EFBrandt added the following:

I was abit late in getting my order into Rick's Custom Nursery this year (2009), so I had to contend with a reduced order and quart sized plants instead of gallon. The quality of the plants at Rick's remains top-notch and the service is hard to beat. I will remain a steady, satisfied customer at Rick's and I highly recommend them to any gardener.
Positive tgiforever
New Bern, NC
June 7, 2008
Just received my hydrangeas from Rick's Custom Nursery. They were as nice as if I had picked them out myself, maybe even better! Their continued support goes well beyond what I've experienced in on-line nurseries before. They provide answers and advice well after the sale, even to the point of suggesting a plant not to buy because they had found it to be difficult, but offering another better suited for my climate and experience level.
I will definitely order from them in the future.
Positive bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA (Zone 7a)
May 19, 2008
I placed an order from Rick's Custom Nursery for ferns, tricyrtis, euphorbia, primula and a few other unusual cultivars this spring. I received terrific customer service and the dozen plants that I ordered were in great shape and generous in size. I was even given a refund for the actual shipping costs. They arrived at the requested time. Their web site is well done and they have a wonderful collection of unusual plants. I was beyond pleased. Patti
Positive jhart63
Murfreesboro, TN
May 12, 2008
Excellent quality plants arrived carefully packaged. Owners used some creative packaging and saved me $12.00 on shipping costs. Owners kept me informed about the status of my order at each step of the process. I will certainly order from this company again.
Positive mwieder
Beachwood, OH
July 2, 2007
Plant matter delivered was superb. 2 of the plants they delivered in quart size were as big as I would have received locally if I had paid for a Gallon. Communication was always by email the day after I sent my email. They packed very well, and kept me informed once it shipped and when I should expect it. The only room for improvement I can offer is the addition of an online shopping cart; as it currently stands, the only way to use a credit card for payment is to email them your CC information, which is not all that secure. Fantastic mail order company and I would not hesitate to order from them again.
Positive figfarmer
Virginia Beach, VA
April 9, 2007
This is a terrific nursery. We've purchased plants from them each year at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden's sales and are looking forward to more. Great folks, great plants!
Positive Alexandraava
April 9, 2007
I just received my plants from Rick's Custom Nursery. I am very pleased with my order as I have ordered many plants/shrubs from different mail order nurseries in the past and the condition and quality of Rick's plants are far superior. My plants came in a condition as if I had personally hand selected them from my local nursery.
Positive Equilibrium
November 5, 2006
Phenomenal customer service. I was kept up to date every step of the way. I truly appreciated being kept apprised of the status of my order with personal notes as opposed to automated replies. I realize it takes time to do this but it’s one of those little added extra touches that sets some nurseries apart from others.

Their plant selection is quite extensive and I kept adding more to my order every time I went back to their website because of the great photos. I truly enjoy photos at website offering plants for sale. It really helps me in the selection process. Added bonus is when the photos accurately reflect the plant one will receive.

I will place more orders with Rick’s Custom Nursery in the future.
Positive myloki
Richmond, VA
May 9, 2006
I have purchased plants from this nursery at the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden plant sales several times. Last fall, they recommended several plants for a hot, dry slope where many plants have perished. Every plant they recommended and sold to me is doing great! They are very knowledgeable and helpful and have a great assortment of plants that are less common, especially shade plants. I can recommend this nursery without hesitation and look forward to buying from them again!