The scoop on 'Paradiseplants (blogontheweb on Ebay)'

Paradiseplants (blogontheweb on Ebay)

1405 Lamar
Sweetwater, Texas 79556 (United States)

This company offers a variety of gardening supplies and plants.

Editor's Comment:
Question Mark As of April 2009, the URL for Paradiseplants.net is no longer working. If anyone has a status update on this company, please contact the Garden Watchdog editors.

Comments:

Positive tropicalaria
Tri-Cities, WA (Zone 7b)
July 5, 2005
I checked out this site after hearing about it on DG. I ordered a six-pack of plants and received small tissue culture cells, which is what I expected from the description and price. They were all quite healthy and have grown very well for me. I have no complaints other than the slow shipping, but he was very good about responding to my email inquiries. I would order from him again.
Positive sugarfoot
Granbury, TX (Zone 7b)
June 19, 2005
I ordered 6 plants - 3 elephant ears and 3 bananas. They came within the timeframe indicated on their website. The plants were small but well-rooted and well-wrapped. I put them in pots to get a little bigger before I put them in the ground and they are doing well. I would order from them again.
Positive twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS (Zone 8b)
April 23, 2005
I ordered two elephant ears. They arrived within a week, well packaged and very healthy. I'm a satisfied customer.
Positive vossner
Richmond, TX (Zone 9a)
April 17, 2005
I bought 1 aloc. Sarian and received a healthy and carefully shipped plant. A tender plant that willl need full attention until next year when its acclimated. It is a bargain at 4.95, shipping included. I know I could not afford a full grown plant (with all the other stuff I want to buy) but I am happy to wait and watch it get big & strong. Also, I initially meant to buy a Sarian, then changed my mind and ordered a Hilo Beauty. They sent both and when I offered to pay for the second plant, (also in excellent condition) David said to consider it a freebie. Wow, doesn't get better than that. I strongly recommend this source.

Adress info needs updating: http://www.paradiseplants.net
1405 Lamar, Sweetwater, TX 79556 1 800 281 0228
Negative dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX (Zone 9a)
April 12, 2005
I ordered a banana plant from them during a $5.00 per plant (postage included) sale they had. I ordered via their website and paid via Paypal. With the Paypal payment I added a note about being a member of Daves and that I hoped I would be able to give them a postive rating at Garden Watchdog.

A week later, after I having heard nothing from them other than a form letter acknowledging receipt of payment, I called their 800 number. The lady who answered said she was just getting ready to email me and that she would be mailing my plant on Friday for Monday delivery. Later that day and on Friday I received emails giving the USPS confirmation number. On Monday a small, healthy, well packaged banana plant arrived.

Although everything went fairly smoothly (no email for a week concerned me considering their past history), but I'm still not sure I would place a $50+ order from them at this time. In my Paypal note I asked about possibly purchasing 2 other types of plants at a later date and never received an answer.
On April 17th, 2005, dstartz added the following:

With the success of the dwarf banana plant I ordered an elephant ear. I received confirmation of payment immediately. Within a few hours I received an email stating the plant had been shipped. A few days later a small, healthy and well packaged plant arrived at my door.
On April 27th, 2005, dstartz added the following:

With the success of the other two plants I ordered 2 more, an EE and and banana. They arrived the day I requested and looked as good as the others, which are still doing great.

My only problem is getting questions answered about purchasing addtional varieties. With this last order I asked about purchasing sihngular plants of of varieties offered only in groups of 6. There were a few emails exchanged, but no answer to my question.

I'd love to buy more. Shame they keep getting in the way of possible additional sales...
On July 4th, 2005, dstartz changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

I have downgraded my opinion after numerous emails to this company about a plant that died the day after it was received.

With the successful ordering of the 4 plants above I ordered 2 more. The day after they were received, as I was preparing to transplant them to 4" pots, one of the plants greenery came detached from the roots.

After numerous emails I was told by Erin "On your next order we will throw in an extra plant for you". So now I must order something else to get a plant and I'm not even sure it will be the variety I originally ordered.
On July 5th, 2005, dstartz changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

Erin's response to the dead plant, "We cannot be responsible or
guarantee a plant after you receive it....There really isn't much more that I can do."

Be careful with this company. Once they have your money you're on your own!
Negative spectrum
(Zone 2b)
April 10, 2005
This company actively harvests email addresses from the web and sends unsolicited commercial email (spam) to those email addresses. In addition, their 'privacy policy' on their website is blank.
Positive TropicalGrower
Ponca City, OK
April 9, 2005
I ordered a few plants from them and received them in great time and they looked great. I hope to order from again soon.
Positive ElephantEars05
Alamogordo, NM
April 4, 2005
I recently purchased an Alocasia Sarian, an Alocasia Macrorrhiza, an Alocasia Nebula Imperialis, and a Colocasia Black Magic and a couple of the Ice Cream banana plants from this company. They were shipped promptly and packaged nicely. I received an email from them when they were shipped letting me know the tracking number, which was nice because it has been a little too warm for my liking here lately to leave the plants on the doorstep. Anyway, they have great prices and great customer service, I couldn't be happier with the company. I don't know how they do it, but I'm glad they do! I will be ordering from them again real soon! Thanks Paradise Plants! You're no. 1 in my book
Neutral emilyrasmus
Portland, OR (Zone 8b)
April 2, 2005
I ordered a number of banana plants and 3 types of Alocasias. For the cheap price, I was expecting small plants, but not that small. One had a couple leaves that were only about an inch in diameter. One of the banana plants was in really bad shape, which they replaced free of charge since I emailed them as soon as I received it. My order also took over a month to arrive although they did include a free plant.
Negative Cocomo
San Juan, PR (Zone 10b)
December 6, 2004
I found the website of paradise plants, promising many tropical plants a very good prices. I ordered 3 different "elephant ears", and the order was not shipped until more than one month later. Out of 3 plants, 2 were dead upon arrival, due in big part to the fact that plants were tiny, new born plants that most people would not dare to move around because it was obvious they would have trouble surviving in a box for several days. Also the packaging was poor. I have never seen a poorer packaging from a mail nursery, just a few pieces of newspaper in a big box so, of course plants rattled around in the box, killing completely two of them. I asked for a refund for the dead plants and was given a refund but still I lost in this transaction. I ended up with a tiny plant for $12 due to the high shipping charges not refunded. I feel this is a deceptive business - seller never mentioned plant size and there was no way to contact him until after the order was placed. I will never buy again from this source.
Positive amhydro
Crescent City, CA
September 4, 2004
Seller delayed shipment several times and even claimed his boxer dog ate the plants. When they finally arrived, they were very poorly packaged and the smallest little things I have ever seen shipped as retail plants. These were like starters you'd get from agristarts or such wholesale. Papayas had busted stems and bananas were all bent over from being tossed around in the box. A couple balls of newspaper were all that was thrown in the box as packaging.
I requested a refund but it was refused. I was told that I am just an angry ebay competitor and that I sabatoged the plants. Very rude person who needs a lesson in customer service.
Also, I paid within hours of auction close but he didn't leave feedback till I did. When I told him that if I couldn`t get a refund I would leave negative feedback he said "you get what you give runboy"
On September 18th, 2004, amhydro changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

After some back and forth seller made good on the situation. Was also told that shipping methods were improved. Ebay feedback seems to reflect as such.

Company representative comment on September 11, 2004:
Btw just so everyone knows things are ok now with AmHydro.