The scoop on 'Carnivorous Plant Nursery'

Carnivorous Plant Nursery

16128 Deer Lake Road
Derwood, Maryland 20855 (United States)

Phone: 301-519-7505

Comments:

Positive Silenicus
Little Rock, AR
April 12, 2014
Time to catch up on reviews. This past year was my first time ordering plants through the mail. The Carnivorous Plant Nursery was my first experience with bare root plants. I ordered a staghorn sundew, a lance leaved sundew, and a Utricularia nephophylla. I also received a bonus plant. There were no glitches in shipping. The plants arrived quickly and in good health. The plants adapted quickly to their new homes and are now flourishing.

I can't speak to the company's problem resolution because I had no problems with my order. I can only say that I received vigorous, healthy plants that were ready to go in a pot and start growing. I am very satisfied.
Positive camino_girl85
Bloomingdale, GA
September 7, 2012
Ordered one sarracenia and one venus flytrap. I feel like the plants were somewhat small for the money I paid, but they were healthy and packaged well. I also received a bonus plant, which was a pleasant surprise. I do recommend this nursery just because he has a lot of rarer varieties for decent prices.
Positive LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL (Zone 9a)
May 23, 2012
Posted on April 28, 2012, updated May 23, 2012
Sent very nice plants well packed with a free bonus plant.

On May 23rd, 2012, LoveBrug added the following:

I find it funny that another CP nursery owner would comment about plant size for the money. If you're a DG member check this out http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1252925/

Wish I could post PICS of what I received from FlyTrapStore
on this thread.
What I received from Carnivorous Plant Nursery is LIGHT years ahead size wise for the money then what the crap FlyTrap Store sent me.
Positive flytrapstore
Ashland, OR
May 2, 2012
Healthy plants and quick shipping. Prices are a bit high for the size of plants received, but overall a good experience.
Positive Arnie_77
Rochester, MN
March 6, 2012
I bought some Nepenthes Miranda from Carnivorous Plant Nursery and I was surprised how they looked especially my last one with the large pitchers that were almost 11 in. I would purchase from this company again.
Positive Pallas1
Williamstown, NJ
May 26, 2011
Bought the starter pack of 5 plants, cranberry and 25 pack of sundew seeds....
Shipped 5/24 & arrived 5/26 via USPS. Plants were all nicely wrapped in damp paper towel to ensure the surrounding peat moss remained intact and moist during transport.
Plants are all alive, well developed and easily transplanted thanks to the care that went into packing them.
Thanks Michael, we're looking forward to our next transaction ;)
Positive gobbleman
Sweetwater, TN
May 10, 2010
This nursery sent me beautiful plants that are growing well in my bog garden. Thank you. I would recommend to anyone who wants to grow this type of plants.
Positive Pepper88
Granite Falls, MN
May 10, 2010
Last fall I ordered one sundew as it was my first experience with a carnivorous plant. I was surprised to receive two plants in the mail, excellently packaged, accompanied by very detailed instructions on plant care. Now, 7 months later, both sundews are doing very well, thriving on the fungus gnats in my home! I'm sure I will order again from Carnivorous Plant Nursery in the future.
Positive ladyisle
Bohemia, NY (Zone 7a)
February 28, 2009
As this is my first time with carnivorous plants, the selection on their website was overwhelming. Therefore my second phone call to Michael Szesze was to ask him to select 8 plants for my project. He did just that and even included a bonus plant. The plants look great and the primulifloras even have buds and flowers on them. Not sure what I expected since these are listed as "bareroot"; but they are lovely plants, minus pots. (I never realized how pretty this group of plants could be).

Since the plants have very specific cultural requirements, I really appreciated the direction that Michael gave me. Packed well and shipped when promised. I foresee more orders in my future.
Positive suzyq53714
Madison, WI
January 13, 2009
The idea of mini egg terrariums is cute! Not to expensive and they treat your plants well!
Positive bladessf
Canandaigua, NY (Zone 5b)
April 28, 2005
I had decided to create a small carnivorous bog garden. I contacted Michael (the owner) through his email and posed a number of questions about culture, hardiness for my area and his recommendations. He responded quickly and with considerable knowledge. From his suggestions I ordered a number of plants which he kindly put up as a special collection to which he added a couple of plants no charge and gave a monetary discount as well. The plants arrived in two days as scheduled and were carefully packed. All were healthly with good growth. I contacted Michael again about care after planting if the nights got cold and he again responded quickly. I recommend his company.
Positive Ispahan
Chicago, IL (Zone 6a)
March 19, 2005
This is a WONDERFUL company. All of my plants arrived in prime condition and expertly packed and seem to be experiencing only a mininum of transplanting shock considering that they were bare root. I appreciated the thoughtfully selected bonus plants and excellent service as well. The owner made a point of e-mailing me to let me know when my plants would be shipped which was a gesture that I very much appreciated. I will definitely order from this company again in the future.
Positive Equilibrium
March 10, 2005
Absolutely wonderful man and so knowledgeable too. What an absolute pleasure to work with. If you call him and share your experience level as well as your growing conditions, he will help you make educated decisions regarding which plants to purchase to better insure your success. That was a pleasant surprise.

Evidently he is a biology teacher and works extensively with children. His online store offers some of the only materials I have ever seen available to use as educational tools with which to work with children who have an interest in carnivorous plants. Great for a classroom setting and I believe they were actually designed for same.

Regarding the plants I purchased; very healthy specimens that were packed properly, labeled properly, and shipped on the date I requested. And, he added a free plant to my order as well as the order of a friend who placed an order with him months after my order was replaced and received so this must be something nice he just does for his customers.