The scoop on 'Niche Gardens'

Niche Gardens

Niche Gardens has 476 products listed in PlantScout.

1111 Dawson Road
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27516 (United States)

Visit Niche Gardens at:

» Like them on Facebook

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive Maece
Colorado Springs, CO (Zone 5b)
November 17, 2015
They had Japanese Beautyberry and Winter Honeysuckle, both of which were on my want list but I couldn't locate them locally. Everything arrived in good condition, can't wait to see how they do next spring.
Positive rosada
Cedar Falls, IA (Zone 4b)
November 1, 2015
Very nice plant, well packaged.
Positive floria
Athens, GA (Zone 8a)
August 27, 2015
Posted on May 2, 2008, updated August 27, 2015
This is my first experience with Niche gardens. I ordered 6 gingers and they arrived in excellent shape. The packaging was incredible and completely environmentally friendly. I will definitely order from them again.
On August 27th, 2015, floria added the following:

Many years later, Niche Gardens is still excellent. Ordered 4 Hemerocallis Autumn Minaret (not easy to find). Meg contacted me to verify that it was not too hot here for planting at my requested date, which I really appreciated. They arrived perfectly packed, with wonderful root systems. Will definitely order again.
Positive annemod
Buffalo Grove, IL
July 10, 2015
I ordered 4 plants from Niche, after first emailing them about availability, and getting a prompt reply. The plants were mailed in a timely manner, and arrived very well-wrapped and looking healthy. I will definitely order from them again.
Positive sarahthering
New Albany, OH
July 2, 2015
I ordered 2 Autumn Minaret daylilies from Niche Gardens and 2 days later I received them! They are the largest plants I've received by mail, packed beautifully, and I couldn't be happier. Do not hesitate to order from Niche Gardens. I certainly will in the future.
Positive Leslieandkeith
Charlotte, NC
June 8, 2015
Plants we have ordered were all healthy and selection is great! Would order from them again-and will!
Positive nannyjanice
Cedar Bluff, AL
May 8, 2015
My first order arrived, packed nicely. One of the plants did not thrive as I expected, and after calling, I received a prompt replacement. The catalog is very nice, offering many different perennials. Continue the good work!
Positive heathershannon
Manteno, IL
April 25, 2015
Plants were in excellent condition. Packed well and came in a timely manner. I will be ordering from them again.
Positive bobbishelly
Middletown, DE
April 18, 2015
Niche unfailingly ships large healthy plants. If a plant fails to thrive it is replaced promptly without question. I have purchased from Niche for years and have never had a problem. Excellent company!
Positive vikkifinch
Mobile, AL
April 15, 2015
Love Niche Gardens. I am planting a new garden in a new/old house, and just received my spring order from them. The plants are healthy and BEAUTIFULLY and securely packed. So now I've sent in ANOTHER order. I have a crush on this nursery. Truly. Will order again!
Positive eminkler
Pawleys Island, SC (Zone 8a)
March 5, 2015
Niche Gardens certainly deserves their Watchdog Top 5 rating. Meg Sorrel worked with me with delivery dates several times since our weather was so bad here I couldn't begin to prepare my beds. She always responded promptly with a new date and said if that date didn't work I could change it again . My plants arrived today and they are beautiful. They were packed so well that not even small crumbs of dirt fell out of the pots. I will definitely order from Niche Gardens again. They have moved to the top of my list of companies from which to order.
Positive Auryla
Norfolk, VA
October 9, 2014
Love this company! First time I have ordered plants from them and will be doing so again in the future! Wonderful plants, good prices, and prompt shipping!
Positive tgiforever
New Bern, NC
August 25, 2014
Ordered two Red Star Hibiscus on-line, Both arrived within only three days, in excellent condition. Will use them again when I need other plants.
Positive memays
Atlanta, GA (Zone 8a)
August 13, 2014
I recently ordered some butterfly host plants from Niche to add to my butterfly garden. Plants arrived as scheduled and well packed. But Niche sent along a special bonus - a spicebush caterpillar!
Positive TonyC513
Baiting Hollow, NY
United States
August 9, 2014
Aug. 4, 2014 My first order with Niche Gardens. The experiece was online plant shopping the way it should be. Communication was fabulous, my order arrived quickly and the plants were in A-1 condition. I will be ordering again.

Positive Feebs
Baton Rouge, LA
July 31, 2014
Package shipped & arrived on dates promised. Packaging was excellent - environmentally conscious packaging & not a leaf out of place or damaged. The plants were good quality and healthy. I will order from Niche again.
Positive Keyrad
Elizabethtown, KY
June 30, 2014
I have ordered plants from Niche for the past 3 years, they are very prompt and friendly, have great plants, and are very reasonable price wise.
Positive gingerbee1
Back Mountain, PA (Zone 5a)
May 7, 2014
Posted on March 9, 2014, updated May 7, 2014
I have been ordering from Niche gardens since 2013. It is like ordering from a friend they are so helpful and attentive. Always returning emails quickly. The plants are healthy and a good size for the price, they offer an excellent selection of natives too. I only wish they were within a quick drive from my home.
On May 7th, 2014, gingerbee1 added the following:

Once again, my order arrived carefully shipped and in great condition! I love this company
Positive lilwren
Brooksville, FL (Zone 9b)
May 1, 2014
This was my first time ordering with Niche Gardens and I was apprehensive, but I'm glad I did.

The two plants that I received were very strong and healthy mature plants. They were packed extremely well. Both were labeled professionally ... and with the correct names.

They were shipped out quickly and not damaged.

I thought $16 shipping and handling was high, but I would buy from them again if I really wanted a plant they had.
Positive colordiva
Amherst, MA
April 28, 2014
I'm a newbie with Niche. Their selections and prices looked good, and I ordered 3 plants. These arrived exactly when promised, were beautiful, and beautifully packed. I will order from Niche again!
Positive nerois5
Ramsey, NJ
April 25, 2014
I'm a first-timer with this company, and the the experience was very, very good. Plants arrived on time, of a good size and in great shape, and their packaging was excellent. Not one but two how-to-care-for sheets!
Will order from them again.
Positive Pinxter
Winona, MO
February 21, 2014
I have ordered from Niche Gardens for at least 3 years. They carry an excellent selection of native azaleas, among other things. The plants are very healthy, and they pack orders with the utmost care. Meg and the other members of the team are
most helpful. I will continue to be a faithful customer.
Positive peterbm
Carrollton, VA (Zone 8a)
October 9, 2013
Placed an internet order over the weekend. Wanted to add a plant, so I called Monday. They were in the process of packing my order, and cheerfully said they could add the extra plants. Plants arrived the next day. Packing was good, condition of plants on arrival was good. Plants will be going into dormancy soon, so only time will tell how health the plants are and if they will emerge from dormancy in the spring, but I have the utmost faith that they will. I have bought plants from Niches before at their NC location and was pleased. All of those plants are still doing great.
Positive merryaustin
San Antonio, TX
September 22, 2013
Plants arrived quickly and were really well packed. They are growing like weeds (which they may actually be since they are verbena). Thank you for such great service.
Positive kimkid
Hilliard, OH
May 27, 2013
Ordered a fragrant honeysuckle vine from Niche a couple weeks ago. Their standards are so high, I really appreciated the care they took from all levels. They emailed me to let me know for the shipping cost I could add more to my order, they also had UPS send me an email regarding delivery... and the care they took wrapping up my plant for safe delivery was wonderful too! Upon receiving my plant there was a comment card (stamped), Unpacking and planting instructions, shipping notes and a catalog. No wonder they rate this high I will be using this company again in the near future!!!
Positive springforme
Raleigh, NC
May 23, 2013
I had been looking for celandine poppies and had been told that it was too late this year to find them, that March was the month. But Niche Gardens had them and shipped them immediately. They were beautifully packed and the plants are healthy and beautiful. An altogether positive experience.
Positive Am4butterflies
Holley, NY
May 20, 2013
Posted on May 20, 2013, updated May 20, 2013
Posted on May 20, 2013, updated May 20, 2013
I love this supplier and recommend them without hesitation. I ordered some hard to find shrubs after looking for them in many places. They had them and were able to confirm that what I was seeking was indeed what they had. I'd ordered what I'd thought were these bushes last year and gotten a different version, so I was a bit gun shy about it.

They arrived quickly and in superior condition. I've ordered shrubs from other places and the condition of the plants upon arrival from other nurseries was nowhere near as healthy as the ones I received from Niche Gardens. These were truly ready to plant.

As I said before, the email interaction was most excellent as I asked for and received some clarification. And in spite of (on my part) a solid lack of proofreading and a dubious bit of spelling, they understood what I was asking and we all enjoyed a hearty guffaw together!!

These folks are just delightful. They are knowledgeable and engaged in the business of plants, obviously taking great pride in their products. I have absolutely found the niche I've been seeking in mail order gardening. Plus, if I ever get down that way, I'll be stopping in, credit card in hand!!!

I LOVE this place!!!
On May 20th, 2013, Am4butterflies added the following:

To clarify... the plants I ordered and got last year that were a different version of what I sought, were NOT from Niche Gardens, but from elsewhere. Niche had the shrubs (a specific variety of spirea that has both a double and single flower ~ I wanted the double) and this was the question I had. They were able to assure me that I was getting what I wanted.
On May 20th, 2013, Am4butterflies added the following:

Positive virginiarose
Portsmouth, VA (Zone 8a)
April 19, 2013
I got two wonderful plants from Niche Gardens. Both are big and healthy, one vine and one shrub. So glad I got these!! Niche was great to work with, good communication and fast shipping. Good packing method, no soil lost and all was still moist. :)
Positive arinazina
Westford, MA
April 4, 2013
First order from Niche Gardens. Have been looking for red sprite winterberry for a while. My order came today and I was very impressed at how well the plants were packed. Can't wait for them to come out of dormancy.
Positive whaisname
Oyster Bay, NY
April 1, 2013
Just finished planting my order from Niche. Not my first order nor will it be my last. Very pleased and Meg makes you feel as if you are their only customer.
Positive Isvlives2
Huntersville, NC
March 21, 2013
Ordering was easy. Staff stayed touch on order progress and answered questions promptly. Plants arrived packaged well, no damage and healthy.
Positive wmpeebles
Spring, TX
February 19, 2013
As I was going through different plant companies and searching for the plants I wanted, I came across Niche Gardens by perusing the PlantScout on Dave's Garden for Aristolochia tomentosa, which is something I've desired (perhaps too unhealthily) for a while for the vine's ability to be a host to the pipevine swallowtail (a beautiful caterpillar I might add, and an even more beautiful butterfly). They had good reviews and so I looked at their website to see what else they had. I was also searching for native passion vine (Passiflora incarnata) which they also had, as well as another variety of milkweed. They didn't have much in terms of milkweed selection, but I went with Pink Swamp Milkweed (Asclepias incarnata) and also threw in a Salvia plant (Salvia farinaceae x longispicata), a good plant whose flowers attract bumblebees. Also continuing on my binge plant shopping at 1 o'clock in the morning, I found Monarda fistulosa, which rounded out my order. So, 5 plants totaling $49 with $16 in shipping. I was happy to finally place my order with my tired red eyes peering at my credit card one last time. Hey that's a great deal I said to myself! Not only did I find the plants I wanted, but I was going to save in shipping by ordering plants from only one nursery. And this factor turned out to be a great deal.

I had lined up all the plants I wanted to order from a different online nursery, but I had to stop myself from ordering plants after finding out that the shipping was going to cost a ton. Niche Gardens was very affordable compared to other options out there.

So after placing my order, less than a week later my plants came in the mail in a re-used box (hey, that's eco friendly!) with a notice of live plants inside. I opened the box up with excitement and found all five of my plants in tiny quart pots with newspaper covering the soil and held in place by tape. Bamboo sticks were also placed in each pot to stabilize them in the box. To me this seemed like a very novel way of packaging plants and it worked fine. The milkweed was dormant, but the four other plants were in fine condition. Part of the stem on the passion vine seemed to die back days after arrival, but a new bud seems to be shooting out at this time. The salvia plant is also growing. So, I'm very optimistic that these plants are going to survive and do well for me.

Thank you Niche Gardens for satisfying my plant addiction! I WILL see you again in the future, and will recommend you to all of my friends!
Positive Mitchella
Pownal, ME (Zone 5b)
January 22, 2013
I've been ordering from Niche for many years, and I can't think of one negative thing to say about them - they are fantastic and my favorite (of many) mail order nurseries. The many native plant offerings, quality of the plants, shipping, and customer service are all outstanding. I'm amazed they're not in the Top 30. Highly recommended.
Positive betsyr42
Townsend, DE
October 25, 2012
I found Niche Gardens through Dave's Garden and I couldn't be happier. The plants were shipped the day I placed the order and two days later they were in the ground. Can't wait for spring to see how they survive the winter. Will definitely use them in the future.
Positive Rollandh
Wilmington, NC
September 17, 2012
Very satisfied with my plants from Niche. Ordered 3 Ilex glabra 'Nigra' and 1 Ilex glabra 'Red Tip'. They were packed securely yet with a minimum of packing material easy to unpack. The pots were quart size yet their overall plant size was big enough to be well-established, very healthy, considerable foliage. Very reasonable prices, fast shipping. I will definitely use them again.
Positive Ispahan
Chicago, IL (Zone 6a)
August 25, 2012
Gorgeous healthy, robust plants at a very reasonable cost. Even shipping is reasonably priced. This is now one of my "go to" nurseries for natives, grasses and other wonderful perennials. Great value!
Positive Mrlynn
Ringgold, GA
May 16, 2012
Gardenia jasminoides x Michael arrived 2 days after shipping. It was packed very nicely and was received in great condition. It was larger than I was expecting
Positive matthewsrj
Silver City, NM (Zone 5a)
May 10, 2012
I was impressed with the customer service and especially how my plant was packed and its condition when it arrived. It's up to me now to get my Red Buckeye in the ground and to nurture it.

I'm looking forward to perusing the catalog that was included in the shipment.
Positive Meredith17
Bethesda, MD
April 23, 2012
Beautifully fresh ornamental raspberry plants -- each leaf was perfect, and the shipment was immaculately packaged! The packing method involves bamboo stakes which suspend and protect the plants perfectly. The vines arrived well-hydrated, they planted beautifully, and immediately showed signs that they are happy in our garden.
Positive Ever_Blooming
Camden, ME
April 21, 2012
Beautiful plants, FLAWLESSLY PACKAGED! They have a brilliant packaging method involving pencil stakes which suspends and protects the plants perfectly. I ordered a dozen rather unusual plants for trials I'm doing (I have a garden design/build business and I write gardening books). One plant (an iris) is a little feeble looking but it could be fine once it gets some light. Great job by Niche Gardens, and I would definitely buy from them again.