The scoop on 'Edelweiss Perennials'

Edelweiss Perennials

Edelweiss Perennials has 403 products listed in PlantScout.

29800 South Barlow Road
Canby, Oregon 97013 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive matthewhg
Charlotte Hall, MD
October 9, 2014
This is my first time ordering from Edelweiss Perennials, and I am very pleased! The order took only 2 days to come from Oregon to Maryland, and was welled packed. All plants were in quart pots. The quality and size of their Epimediums are outstanding. Since its October, I'll be thinking of a spring 2015 order!
Positive Patty57
Wake Forest, NC (Zone 7b)
September 13, 2014
Nothing but good words for me to say about Edelweiss Perennials. All around A+++. Look forward to more orders in the future.
Positive rockindtt
Altamont, OR
May 10, 2014
this nursery was great to deal with. My plants were pristine and big. They took great care to wrap each one. I've never seen this before from mail order. If you want something different for your yard, check them out. I live in Oregon but I live at higher altitude and its hard to find plants to tolerate the cold temps.
Positive Kschaufler
Lacey, WA
May 10, 2014
I can't find alstroemeria plants in my area. I ran across Edelweiss online and ordered 3 plants. They were packed so well and carefully, very impressed. Will probably order from them again if I can find space in my garden!
Positive restom
Reston, VA
May 8, 2014
I ordered several hard-to-find perennials from Edelweiss. The plants arrived fresh and healthy (across country). I would definitely order from them again.
Neutral elfeik
Near Kansas City, MO (Zone 6a)
May 5, 2014
Last year I planted two of the double blood root in an area that had wild blood root for many years, plus Bellwort, Solomon's Seal, Mayapples etc. so I assume I planted them correctly. This spring not a sign of them so far,
Positive Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA (Zone 6b)
June 18, 2013
Edelweiss is a great supplier! I was able to find a nice Alstroemeria and many Cyclamen. I figure I'll get more of the Alstroes once the first one takes hold. The Cyclamen looked very pretty this winter as they were flowering in late February as promised. Now hopefully they make it through dormancy and pop up again in the fall. The plants were extremely well packed and there was no damage to speak of. Great experience.
Positive bryana
Albany, NY
May 9, 2013
I ordered several Cyclamen, double bloodroot and some Primula - all the plants had good root systems, were healthy and packed with care.
Positive lemurianne
Ida Grove, IA (Zone 5a)
May 9, 2013
I ordered from Edelweiss because they had a couple unique plants that I couldn't find anywhere else for a sensible price. I just unpacked my order, and I'm especially impressed by two things -- the clematis recta is so much bigger than I expected and arrived completely undamaged, and there is a little note on my invoice explaining why my ranunculus "brazen hussy" is green (it's going dormant). I love little notes like that, it makes me think the sender is thinking ahead to how the recipient is going to feel when they're unpacking these plants and wants them to be happy :) The campanula cochliearifolia seems tiny, but I'm not familiar with this plant so maybe that's just how it looks in the spring!! All in all I'm very happy. I will not hesitate to order again. Highly recommended for hard-to-find plants!!

Positive Carrie45
Cupertino, CA
April 25, 2013
I could not possibly be happier with the customer service and healthy products provided by these good people. One is never sure when ordering plants not seen in person, but the things I ordered were shipped immediately, packed well, arrived with good care and planting instructions, and with one exception took hold and began to grow immediately. When I eventually wrote to inquire about the delayed growth of one item, it was replaced within days without my even having asked! Really outstanding customer service, and a great source for unusual plants not available at local nurseries. I will absolutely be ordering from them again, and have already recommended to friends!!
Positive Ispahan
Chicago, IL (Zone 6a)
April 11, 2013
Posted on March 28, 2012, updated April 11, 2013
Fabulous nursery! I received a shipment of Gladiolus 'Boone' and 'Carolina Primrose' from them last fall that were healthy and arrived in wonderful condition. I bare rooted the corms and stored them in my basement for the winter. All of them are still firm and will be planted out soon in my garden.

When I saw that they offered several forms of rare taller growing double-flowered ranunculus as well as a select form of Allium cyaneum, I placed another couple of orders for spring. These plants just arrived today and they are once again beautiful and healthy.

Here are a couple more reasons why this nursery is great:

1. The owner, Urs, combined my two separate spring orders and offered to partially bare root some of the hardier plants that I ordered. This enabled him to ship everything in one flat rate box which saved me a HUGE amount of money on shipping. How could anyone not appreciate that?
2. Urs is very honest about the size of his stock. He wanted me to be aware that the Allium cyaneum was small by nature and was still just breaking dormancy. What I actually received were very healthy little clumps of bulbs much larger than any Allium cyaneum I have seen before.

I will definitely purchase from Edelweiss again in the future In fact, I am already admiring some of the hardy cyclamens in the catalogue... :-)

On April 11th, 2013, Ispahan added the following:

Truly a classy nursery and much more than just a simple step above most other perennial nurseries. Selection is superb, plants are lovingly grown and healthy, prices are reasonable and packing is very efficient.

Every order received from Edelweiss has been amazing. I can't say enough good things.

They have the best selection of anemone and ranunculus of any nursery I know of. If only they would expand their selection of potted geophytes to include rare species and horticultural forms of Eranthis, Erythronium, Adonis, Galanthus, etc...

Positive jfzeabart
Terre Haute, IN
April 11, 2013
received 4 lilium martagon all were well started growing, but all were well packed and in good shape.
Positive Blondye78
Schertz, TX
April 9, 2013
Posted on April 9, 2013, updated April 9, 2013
My order so far is great, I ordered 9 Alstroemeria. I've ordered Alstroemeria before from other companies and they've taken more than a month to even start showing shoots.

I placed my order on 3/25 and arrived by that Friday. My plants have been in the ground less than 2 weeks and I already have shoots more than a foot tall!

Very happy with my purchase, and can't wait for the blooms.

On April 9th, 2013, Blondye78 added the following:

Let me also add that the packaging was superb, nice and moist wrapped in newspaper. And after reading the other comments I am glad you did not quit selling Alstroemeria, they are by far one of my favorite plants/flower and are very hard to find, unless you want a dwarf variety
Positive Brincelyn
El Paso, TX
April 6, 2013
Last year, I placed an order with Edelweiss Perennials for 4 Viola odorata plants. I had long nurtured the dream of having true, scented violets in my garden and finally decided to try. I was supplied with tracking information via email and my plants arrived wonderfully packaged, as others have mentioned, in moist newspaper with shredded newspaper packing. Despite my careful siting in the garden and loving attention, only half of the plants survived through to spring. One of the surviving plants produced a single, unbelievably enchanting and fragrant bloom and that was enough to make me try again. This time, I ordered a 6 pack. Two are planted near last year's survivors, two were planted in a new location and two are in the house on the kitchen windowsill. All of them are thriving thus far and have shown considerable growth. Cross fingers that they continue to thrive. I have to mention that Urs Baltensperger is a true gentleman and professional. I had emailed him for advice about my violets right before I placed a second order. He replied immediately with some suggestions and I felt confident in ordering some more. With no request or prompting by me, I noticed that the invoice I received with this year's order had credited me so that this year's order only cost about the amount of shipping/handling. What a nice, completely unexpected thing to happen! I'm a fan for life!
Positive enith
Cottage Lake, WA (Zone 7b)
October 18, 2012
I've just received my first mail order from Edelweiss Perennials. I ordered a few plants of lesser known Cyclamen purpurascens and C. mirabile and one plant of Paeonia tenuifolia. Plants arrived very well packed and in excellent condition. Communication with the nursery was easy and quick via e-mail. I am very happy with the purchase and will definitely buy more plants from them in the future. Highly recommended!
Positive CatGasner
Mankato, MN
May 24, 2012
This was my first order from Edelweiss. I had previously purchased some of the same plants from other websites and had received plants in such poor condition that there was no saving them.

The plants arrived from Edelweiss very healthy and well packaged. This is my new mail order source of choice.
Positive manifest
Playa del Rey, CA (Zone 11)
May 17, 2012
I placed an order for several dieramas from Edelweiss Perennials. I received the plants promptly and each plant was not only very carefully packed, but also very healthy. I was pleased when they arrived.

In addition, before ordering, I had called and left a message about dieramas, as I was unfamiliar with the plants. I received a call back the following day and the man with whom I spoke answered all my questions thoroughly.

I will order from Edelweiss again.
Positive ge1836
Pittsford, NY (Zone 6a)
April 27, 2012
Everything was packed very well.Wet newspaper around tops of pots.The plants were moist and larger plants well leafed were packed with shredded newspaper.
I am very pleased with this company.I will order from them again.
Positive bostonbound2
Boxford, MA
April 19, 2012
Good sized plants, appear well-established. Many unusual perennials. Quick shipping and good communication. Fair prices. All good with this company.
Positive virginiarose
Southeast, VA (Zone 8a)
March 16, 2012
Best selection of Kniphofia , I am very impressed with the size of this plant and also the Cyclamen that I ordered. Nice healthy plants, good packing and prices. Thank You.
Positive htkraus
Cary, NC
March 3, 2012
What a joy to buy plants that are excellent quality and fairly priced. Every plant that I have ever bought (and I have bought many, many plants) from Edelweiss Perennials have been wonderful.
Positive PrairieGardener
Lake Oswego, OR (Zone 8b)
March 1, 2012
I recently ordered a number of plants from Edelweiss and they arrived yesterday. The plants were packaged extremely well and did not receive any damage in transit. Further, they were an excellent size for the price (better than a number of other nurseries I've recently dealt with) and are all looking quite happy and healthy. I'm very pleased!
Negative RightAsRain
Woodinville, WA (Zone 7b)
November 2, 2011
Bought 5 clumps of Alstroemeria at the Pacific Northwest Flower & Garden Show last February 2011. Planted said tubers in sterilized pots to grow them up a bit before setting them in the ground. When the plants started to grow they seemed rather weak. Cultural conditions were correct so I was puzzled. As the plant continued to grow I started noticing the leaves were streaked and splotchy which potentially indicated virus. E-mailed Edelweiss and they sent an e-mail back stating
"Turns out some of the most reputable nurseries will ship virused Alstroemerias. We usually don’t by plugs but we had to for a patented variety. They were tissue propagated, with are usually clean of any pathogens but these actually had the virus. As much as we hate selling plants with virus, there is nothing that can be done accept to destroy them all and live without it." Caveat emptor
Company representative comment on January 3, 2012:
On Jan 3, 2012 8:09 PM, Edelweiss Perennials responded with:

In a perfect world, there wouldn’t be any diseases. Bearded Iris growers know that better than any and have learned to live with the mosaic virus. But since the Iris community is larger and more connected, Iris collectors have accepted that fact and you won’t find any negative comments on Dave’s regarding Iris growers selling virused Irises.
We almost quit selling Alstroemerias years ago but realized that because the virus is widespread, many nurseries don’t bother carry them and thus tall Alstroemerias hard to come by. So if we would quit selling them, they’d get purchased virused somewhere else but the selection would be smaller.
So we feel ourselves somewhat singled out. From what we’ve seen so far, many sources of tall Alstroemerias will send virused plants. (Of three major sources we ordered recently, all had it) The virus doesn’t bother the plants much, but only the leaves, not the flowers. The only time it’s noticeable is when the stems are about done blooming and/or the plants are stressed like in excessive heat, cold and drought. One can more likely get dwarf varieties without the virus, as they are mass produced in labs.

“RightAsRain” is the first customer that has ever contacted us about it. This means most people don’t even notice it or are bothered by it. If they did, we’d have heard it sooner and also you’d see more comments like this one on other nurseries’ reviews.

Also, we offered “RightAsRain” a full refund, but that she declined and asked us not to sell virused Alstroemerias. We also mentioned in that email reply that we almost quit selling Alstroemerias years ago and the reason why explained above.
Months later, she placed that comment, we assume she was not content with the fact that we haven’t quit selling Alstroemerias. Our intention was to talk to her in person and elaborate on this subject at the next Seattle Flower Show. Upon seeing this comment, we asked for the phone number by email but she unfortunately didn’t reply.

Positive kkirschbaum
Yonkers, NY (Zone 6b)
October 10, 2011
Posted on October 7, 2011, updated October 10, 2011
Posted on June 5, 2007, updated October 7, 2011
I was very pleased with my experience ordering from Edelweiss. Not only were the prices quite fair, they were able to reduce the shipping costs on the final package relative to what the website calculated. They have an interesting selection of plants (lots of things probably more common in Europe than here), and I was pleased with the shape the plants were in on arrival.
On October 6th, 2011, kkirschbaum changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

I placed an order on Oct 1st and the next day sent an email thru their website trying the confirm the shipment date. I had no response after two days and then replied to the email confirmation I had received about my order. There has still been no response. I am worried because I will be out of town next week. I requested shipment this week which appears not to have happened. I want them to ship the week of the 17th, but I cannot seem to get a response from them and do not know when they will ship my order. I have never had such trouble communicating with a mail order nursery. They discourage phone calls on their website, but they do not answer email either. I could understand a nursery being this busy in spring, but it makes no sense now in October. I feel this nursery does not communicate well and does not deserve a high rating on Davesgarden.
On October 10th, 2011, kkirschbaum changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Positive psychloman
Brooklyn, NY (Zone 7a)
September 1, 2011
Posted on May 8, 2009, updated September 1, 2011
These people send out some of the best quality plants you'll find.Generous size and excellent packaging.Catalog is full of temptation.
On September 1st, 2011, psychloman added the following:

I ordered two different hebes, an astilbe and a leucojum.Plants arrived in two days,beautifully packed and in great shape.I have to start ordering from these guys more often.
Positive kristinL356
Iowa City, IA
May 20, 2011
Was very excited to find that they carried the red variant of the already pretty rare in cultivation Canada lily. Ordered 2 plus a toad lily to get the most plant for the shipping costs. Was delighted to find when they arrived that the Candada lilies were potted plants (not just bulbs as I had assumed they would be). The toad lily also had a surprising amount of plant for the size of the pot. All have been in the ground for a while now and seem to be doing well in their new home.
Positive dave12122
East Haddam, CT
April 22, 2011
Plants were shipped the week I requested and arrived on a Thursday. They appear healthy, and many were in bloom/bud. The only thing I disagree with is the cutting back of the Kniphofia to fit the box. I would rather have the stringy foliage at its original length so I could decide myself whether to cut it back or not. However, that is a minor complaint, and would not keep me from ordering from Edelweiss again. I particularly liked the large flowering Cyclamen coum, it really is extraordinary how much bigger the bloom is than other forms.
Positive kjd
Parker, CO
April 18, 2011
I received my plants two weeks ago. They were well-packed and did not suffer damage in shipping. Plants were large with very healthy root systems. I contacted the grower and found out the plants were already hardened off and ready to plant in our unpredictable spring weather. They appear to be flourishing and establishing quickly. I will definitely order again!
Positive aileen246
Priest River, ID
April 15, 2011
Received my order of six "Cheaper by the half dozen" helleborus plants. What a pleasant experience unwrapping them. Each was packed in newspaper with shredded newspaper as a buffer and dampened newspaper to keep the soil in. Best packing I've seen in a long time. Received a confirmation e-mail as soon as I placed my order and it was shipped when I requested it, with tracking. Will order from this company again. I "haunt" Dave's Garden looking for companies that are in the Pacific Northwest and I have found a good one with Edelweiss Perennials. Thank You!!
Positive JAMIESMITH
Decatur, MS (Zone 7b)
April 15, 2011
I ordered six dwarf iris plants and four alstromeria plants. The plants arrived in two seperate boxes packed with moist newspaper. The soil was moist in all the containers and the plants look very healthy. I'm planning to plant them this weekend. I'm very pleased with my order.
Positive greyslate
Baltimore, MD
April 2, 2011
I was excited to find a low growing NZ native on their website and was thrilled with their "Cheaper by the Half Dozen" deal! What a fun site to peruse - where else can you find such a neat deal on 6 jack in the pulpits, or Alaskan iris, or cyclamen hederifolium? The plants arrived quickly, beautifully packed, and very well grown. I'm excited to see how they do this year, and will be back to shop again next year!
Positive geum
Mosinee, WI
August 26, 2010
The plants I received were well packed and healthy. They were much larger than expected and were delivered exactly when I was told they would be. My communications with this company were promptly answered. My only disappointment is that one of the plants, once received was promptly eaten by baby rabbits that slipped through the fence. I will reorder the same plant and better protect it!
Positive xryka
Philadelphia, PA
June 24, 2010
I was very pleased with my order from this company. It arrived very quickly, the plants were packed well, and they looked very good and healthy. I planted them, and they remain in terrific shape in spite of our horrible heat and humidity the last week or more. I would certainly buy from them again.
Positive canipity
Parkesburg, PA
June 16, 2010
One of my favorite mail order companies. Love the variety of unique plants. Everything arrives well packaged and healthy. Worth the extra expense to ship literally across the country.
Positive MarilynM2
Hudson, NH
May 27, 2010
Amazing company! I placed an order over the internet on Sunday and received my plants Wednesday. The plants are beautiful -- they look very healthy and were packed well. I would definitely recommend this company and I will surely order from them again. I am extremely pleased with the plants, the service, and the attention to detail! I look forward to ordering from them in the future!
Positive trackinsand
mid central, FL (Zone 9a)
May 6, 2010
placed a small online order last week (end of april) after checking GW on DG. asked for shipping to be executed the first week in may. it will be getting way too hot before long but didn't know how fast they'd ship. got my shipping confirmation yesterday and they arrived today! they are big healthy plants, perfectly packed and well watered. they even took some of the ship price off of my final shipping total. not too many would do that anymore! i will order again from this company. very, very pleased!!! A+
Positive JulieMichigan
Hickory Corners, MI
April 12, 2010
I read the reviews and decided to order 10 semps (hens & chicks) to add to my collection, ones that were rare and hard to find. I expected the average plugs I get from other gardens...but WOW, received big beautiful fully rooted and established plants. Packed to perfection, carefully, in every way possible to receive not a single imperfection through transport across country. Received in a timely manner with excellent communication (I added one bareroot plant after submitting the order, which was also much larger than expected). Shipping charges were much less (half) than what was listed on the order form when I submitted the order, they only charged actual costs. I cannot wait to place another order and I wish I'd found them sooner - theses are by far the nicest semps I've ever received from anyone!
Positive Pitimpinai
Chicago, IL
April 8, 2010
I just received Dicentra cucullaria from Eldelweiss Perennials. Wowwee. I had coveted this plants for the longest time. I used to order some corms?? long ago from some company in WI. The darn things never grew to anything. So I sorta forget about it until I stumbled upon a comment from someone somewhere. Now that I am more proficient in googling I found that Edelweiss carries them. I came to this forum to check it out then ordered 5 plants.

They look so very healthy I could have kicked myself for not thinking of this beautiful little plant for so long. Some of the plants came with multiple eyes. :-) I am waiting out the rain here so I can plant them in the ground. :-) Not a blemish on these lovely plants. They were packaged extremely well too. It shows how much care, much love was put into the preparation and packaging.
Wonderful plant source, Edelweiss. I definitely recommend it to anyone. If I can find room in my yard, I'll definitely order more from this place.

P.S. Shipping and handling is a bit pricey, but it is worth it. I would love to receive plants like these anytime.
Positive sillybug5
Winston Salem, NC (Zone 7a)
December 1, 2009
Posted on January 24, 2009, updated December 01, 2009
A wonderful mailorder nursery in every way! An amazing variety of very unusual and hard to find plants. The plants I received were so healthy, robust and large, I was truly pleased! I have been gardening over 25 years and had many experiences, but this stands out as a stellar plant experience! Thank you for your attentiveness and honesty and exquisite taste in plants. I'll be back!!!
On December 1st, 2009, sandnsea2 added the following:

Received my order last week and it was simply magnificent! The hellebores are large and vigorous and ready to bloom. The semps are healthy and generously sized. Bravo, also for the perfect packaging and timely shipping. AAAA++++ all the way.
Positive RohanOrchid
Santa Clara, CA
November 28, 2009
Placed my first order with Edelweiss two weeks ago; shipping was prompt, packaging was professional, communication was excellent, plants were healthy-looking and are actively growing in my backyard now.

Overall very satisfied and will definitely order again!