The scoop on 'West Coast Seeds'

West Coast Seeds

3925 64th Street
Delta, British Columbia V4K 3N2 (Canada)

Fax: 1-877-482-8822

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

This company offers a variety of seeds.

Company Comment, posted on October 1, 1998:
At West Coast Seeds we specialize in organic, open pollinated, heirloom and heritage seeds for your organic growing. With over 500 varieties of untreated seeds to choose from, you will find what you are looking for.

Comments:

Positive hummerplants
Campbell River BC
February 3, 2012
Posted on February 2, 2012, updated February 3, 2012
Ordered two Hummingbird Feeders online price listed $24.95 each.
Received order today Charged $28.95 for each feeder plus
more shipping & taxes. Owe another $11.70
Hello! West Coast Seeds the reason I ordered from you was for the price listed $24.95 . You could have called letting me know amount sent was not correct. I should have been given the right to cancel my order. Terrible customer service. I was thanked for letting then know that the price listed 0N LINE was a mistake and they would correct it.

On February 3rd, 2012, hummerplants changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Recieved message early this morning (Feb.3 ) from West Coast Seeds regarding my phone call to them on (Feb 2) .
They are sending a revised Bill in the mail. Because of this I have changed rating to positive.
Positive plantsandrabbit
vernon
March 2, 2011
This is an excellent company. They have good customer service, are reliable, and are committed to ethical/organic growing. This is my 3rd year to order from them, and as usual, my order was in my mailbox within 10 days. I've had good germination rates with their seeds, and appreciate their informative catalogue.
Positive taufgardner
American Fork, UT
January 26, 2011
I ordered artichoke seeds from this company. Order arrived promptly and in good condition. Quantities standard, not generous, but what one would expect for the price. Seed packets are resealable (don't just rip a corner as I usually do - carefully open the flap and it will reseal). I will update as germination and production proceeds, but I am optimistic by what I've experienced so far.
Negative Oliver19
Victoria
July 20, 2010
I bought a packet of cauliflower seeds from this company. They were the Heirloom overwintering variety, Galleon. I'm looking forward to growing them in my enclosed cloche that I built. The packet stated an approximate seed count of 35, but I was really disappointed to find only 21 seeds in the packet. Especially since these seeds are supposed to keep for a couple of years. I emailed the company with no response. All the seeds germinated well though. I think I'll look at other seed companies for my hierlooms/heritage varieties.
Positive nigelia23
Vancouver, BC (Zone 8b)
April 15, 2010
THE best seed company I tried. Great quality, price and germination rate.
Positive Spookycharles
Langley, WA (Zone 8b)
November 24, 2008
West Coast Seeds is a fantastic source for Pacific Northwest heirlooms and OP varieties that grow well in the region. The seed packets are very large and generously filled I received far more seeds than I was expecting for the price.

They now ship to the US (which is so very appreciated) and delivery is fast. Shipping was more than most seed orders but I ordered a large quantity of large seeds that came well packaged in a small box from Canada so the extra shipping cost is certainly understandable and worth every penny to get these rare varieties from this wonderful company.
Positive plantenthusiast
Montreal, QC (Zone 5a)
April 14, 2008
West Coast Seeds is the place to go for Organic Gardeners. What a truly unique seed company that offers tried and true varieties selected especially for the West Coast. We have ordered from them for many years, and they have fantastic products. We always get very good results with their seeds. Many of their seed varieties are available at garden centres as well as online.

Excellent online ordering site and process. Extensive vegetable catalogue. They also have lots of great things such as sprouts for sprouting at home, soil amendments, and many more useful things for gardeners. Seeds are also available in larger than standard quantities, which is useful to those with large gardens or produce stands.

I recommend this company to everyone I know, they are great! I have since moved to the East Coast of Canada and still order from them; there is no place that rivals their Organic selection.

Positive tofinosurfer
Vancouver
April 13, 2005
What a pleasure it is to deal with this company. As I look around my house I count roughly 300 little starters, all doing brilliantly. I have nothing but positive things to say about these people.

I am hoping that they fee free to add some more exotics to their collection.

I am also hoping that they can make their telephone number easier to find.

Positive floralover
January 17, 2003
Superb catalog if you are interested - instead of fancy pictures - in excellent information re growing plants, mostly vegetables from seed . Most detailed on soil requirement, Ph, watering. I learned a lot from their catalog: when to plant, when should not I plant certain vegetables and so on. I am grateful to them. Very much tailored to home gardeners and I truly appreciate that!

I found their catalog by chance in a gardening shop while visiting Victoria, and as soon as I got home I contacted them and asked for their next year catalog.
I ordered seeds from them and was happy with what they sent me with the exception of one tomato seed packet. Also, I bought the best row covers from them.

I use their catalog and Stokes' when I start seeds, and I tresure these two catalogs, keeping them with my seeds or around my seedstarter bench. Hope they will not drop me from their mailing list because I did not order from them anything last year. {But I always order too much considering the size of my garden:-)
Positive helen_vancouver
August 7, 2002
I always buy my vegetable seeds from them. Top rated company. Visiting their demostration garden was a delight
Positive Zorro
Kelowna
May 11, 2002
I've been buying stuff (mostly seeds) from these guys for years. They're great. Their catalogue is a thorough how-to manual for growing stuff here (west coast) year-round. I have ordered from maybe 20 seed companies over the last 10 years and I would rate this company at the top alongside Johnny's and Pinetree (I am a regular customer of these companies as well).
Positive Marjorie
January 18, 2002
This is an excellent company for growers in the Pacific northwest. Their vegetables are bred specifically for this climate and quite often can't be obtained elsewhere. Most garden shops in this area carry their seeds so you don't have to bother with mailing in an order.
Positive margtaylor
January 12, 2002
January 12, 2002
I have been a customer of West Coast Seeds for the past 8 years, first as Canadian Territorial Seeds then as West Coast Seeds. My experience is that they sell excellent products that are suited to the climate of south west British Columbia. Their catalogue rates plant performance and gives planting instructions for best results. Their mail-order service is very fast. If they are out of stock they will either substitute with a similar seed or will ship your choice as soon as it is available. The past couple of years I have visited their outlet in Vancouver with my order in hand. It is usually filled within a half hour and at a discount. Again, any seeds they can't supply they will either substitute or ship when available - at no extra cost for mailing! I will continue to give them my business and to recommend them to anyone wanting seeds guaranteed to grow in our climate.
Positive Colin
January 11, 2002
I have lived on the West Coast of Canada for some 7 years. During each of those years I have purchased seeds from West Coast (formerly Territorial) Seeds. They select and test seeds specifically for this area. Their extensive catalogue is not only chock full of seed varieties that do well here, but also a first rate "how to" manual for growing plants specifically in this area (year round). I have not ordered from the company but have bought their seeds from local stores (probably they are the most common brand here). So I can't say anything about their mail order service. Recently they expanded their offering of oriental seeds, to the point where it is impressive. Highly recommended but area-specific.