The scoop on 'Prejean's Nursery'

Prejean's Nursery

8964 Our Rd.
Lake Charles, Louisiana 70607 (United States)

Comments:

Positive jsurette
Exeter, NH
June 10, 2014
Posted on June 9, 2014, updated June 10, 2014
ordered 220.95 of bougainvillea's they shipped them to the wrong place and I was Suppose to get a refund.
no refund yet and its been 2 weeks
On June 10th, 2014, jsurette changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

finally received my refund
Positive MrHill
Stallings, NC
July 18, 2011
Rod and his wife have been absolutly wonderful to me. I am just a small consumer. but he always has time for tips and advise. his plants have always arrived on time and in great shape. i love this guy.
Positive Passionflowerz
Punta Gorda, FL (Zone 9b)
June 16, 2011
I just received 3 healthy, beautiful brugmansia cultivars I ordered from Mr. Rod Prejeans and his wife. They were also kind enough to send me another brug that I did not even order, a double white bloom that I was considering ordering from another company at a later time. Rod just saved me some money, and time.
He answers emails very promptly, and I have spoken with him over the phone. They are receptive as well as polite. I would do business with this company many times over.
The shipment to me was also prompt, via FedEx.
My brugs came to me packed properly, healthy, pest free.
Nice root systems that will easily take to new soil.
The Ecuador Pink trunk is thicker than a large man's thumb.

I'm sorry to read the last man before me's experience, but mine was nothing like that. I think this is a very reputable company well worth doing business with.
5 Star rating from me!!! *****
Negative nolabug
New Orleans, LA (Zone 9b)
April 29, 2009
I was landscaping for a client and, inspired primarily by the positive reviews on this website, I placed a 'test' order of several hundred dollars for two brugmansias, five bougainvilleas, a monstera deliciosa, and two plumeria on March 12.

I was *extremely* disappointed with the size and even more disappointed with the condition of the plants I received. In years of many internet plant orders both for my own garden and for clients, I have never seen plants so sickly, so infested, so badly packed for shipping, or so much smaller than the website description. The plants were shoved into a box much too small. They had no packaging for buffering and had been soundly beaten by the cardboard as a result. All of the smaller stems were broken off the brugmansias. Many of the woody stems of the bougainvilleas had broken.

In addition to the obvious shipping damage, the plants were severely infested with aphids, to an extent that I have never seen in 10 years of gardening. Of course, as a landscaper I am used to combating aphids and have never had any real trouble handling them (ultimately). However, this infestation had been allowed to go so far that now, 6 weeks after receiving the plants, I am still spraying and treating several times a week and still having recurrent outbreaks. (Mr. Prejean's response to this was to tell me that there couldn't possibly be aphids on bougainvilleas, as they don't live on those plants)

Ok, so keeping greenhouses aphid-free is impossible. And in the busy time of year shipping mistakes happen. What makes me feel that Prejean nursery is worse than incompetent as a plant seller and quickly sliding into the zone of rip-off is the size of the plants. The Prejean website did specify that the plants would be removed from their containers and shipped bareroot, so I hardly expected 3 gallon sized roots when I ordered brugmansias from a 3 gallon pot. When they arrived, however, their roots wouldn't have filled a standard 4" pot. I know because I tested it. I also received plants from a separate order (from Almost Eden, whom I highly recommend) on the same day and got to compare their 4" pot plant with my supposedly 3 gallon brug. Let me tell you, the comparison was revealing. The bougainvilleas were sold to me as coming from a one gallon pot. When they arrived the rootball, including the shredded newspaper in which it had been wrapped, was about half the size of my fist. The plants were approximately 4-5 inches in height, if you included the branches that were broken in shipping. Either these plants did *NOT* come from the size pot advertised or they were violently ripped out of their pots, leaving the majority of the roots behind. The monstera's roots were infested with as-yet unidentified larvae and the plumeria had similar too-small root ball problems.

I emailed Mr. Prejean about these problems and did not receive a response. There was no phone number on their website but some internet research turned up the phone number and I was able to contact Prejean. Mr. Prejean was not unfriendly, but was condescending and unwilling to listen to or in any way acknowledge the problems with the order. He didn't flat out call me a liar, but he came as close as I guess you can. I offered to take pictures and discuss the problem after they had a chance to look at them and he agreed. When he finally responded after receiving the photos he said, "I feel that I need to send two replacements [for the brugmansias], plus 1 "California Gold" [bougainvillea], for the one that had a broken branch." I felt this was a vast understatement of the actual damage done to the plants, but I'd already wasted far too many billable hours on this fiasco, so I agreed.

When the 'replacement' order arrived (late, as before) there were no replacement brugmansias. The bougainvillea that was sent was dead (and despite very careful babying did not revive) and Prejean had included 2 plumeria (I guess in lieu of the brugs??) that were no bigger in root size than anything else I'd been sent. I wrote and explained the problem and asked for a refund, not for the whole order, as in retrospect I feel would be more fair, but only for the brugmansias for which I had never gotten replacements and some sort of partial compensation for the bougainvilleas, which had to be replaced. Mr. Prejean responded with an irate email in which he claimed I had never told him the plants were inadequate and that he would not issue a refund unless I pulled up all the plants (which had been planted for 3 weeks now) and ship them to him, upon receipt of which he would write a check to refund this order that had been paid by credit card. My client preferred to let it drop rather than continue paying me to waste my time negotiating with this impossible charlatan.

I had to replace these plants for my client out of my own pocket and I took on Prejean's sickly plants to try to nurse back to health. Six weeks after they arrived, despite every supportive condition I could imagine or devise for these plants, they have not grown. The bougainvilleas aren't dead (aside from the one that arrived dead) and I have at least reduced the aphid problem to a manageable level but not one new branch from any of them. The brugmansias have grown leaves but no length of limb and have struggled against mites and aphids among other things. The plumeria have in the last week sprouted a leaf or two but are far behind my own plumeria I purchased from a local nursery. These are the worst plants I have ever purchased and if I weren't such a bleeding heart gardener, I'd have thrown them away weeks ago.
Positive drnick
Rocky Hill, CT
July 10, 2008
Rod Prejean's plants and service are superb. I ordered 12 bougainvilleas from him and asked for some recommendations as well. He responded to me instantly and in great detail via email. The plants sent were large, healthy, beautiful speciments and arrived in perfect shape. Most highly recommended!!!
Positive gwendylena
La Salle, MI
May 17, 2008
This was my first time ordering from this nursery. I ordered quite a few bouganvilleas. When I opened the box two were broken off at the soil. I emailed the nursery explaining what happened and also asking a question. I received an extremely polite reply within a day answering my question and telling me replacements were on the way.

The other plants I received were large and had good looking roots. The plants were sent exactly when I requested.

I am very happy with my experience with this nursery.
Positive 1sweetannie
Saint Paul, MN
April 27, 2008
Received very robust, resonably priced, plant material. When I unwrapped the plants, the words WOW came to mind.

Very responsive to e-mail queries. I am a most satistfied customer who will return.
Positive Cruxcorvus
Tomahawk, WI
February 29, 2008
I ordered three varieties of bougainvillea vine, February 2008. They were shipped within days to me (and I live several states away) and arrived in great condition. Their prices for the vines were the best I could find on the internet as well. I highly recommend them!
Positive themisnike
Houston, TX
January 14, 2008
What a wonderful company! The owner was quick to respond to my online inquiry, and was very personable via the e-mail. My plantlings arrived beautifully packaged, and VERY quickly. I will certainly order from them again!
Positive zoomaster4
Northport, NY
September 24, 2007
Wow, talk about customer service. This had to be one of the easiest and nicest on line shopping experiences I ever encountered. On a tip from a friend I looked into this site. I can't believe how beautiful and healthy the specimens received were. I can't wait to tell all my garden club friends about this find.
Positive BigAbigail
Harford, PA
September 18, 2007
Thinking of the cold and dreary days coming soon I decided to liven up my sun room with some new plants. My neighbor has been very pleased with a nursery down in Louisiana and suggested I contact them.
I found their web site and placed an e-mail order. It seemed almost instantly I received a personalized messae thanking me for the order and telling me when it would be shipped. Three days later the plants arrived in excellent shape and were much larger and stronger than I expected.
I now know why my neighbor recommended them and certainly I will be doing the same.
They are a joy to do business with.
Positive stilllovejazie
Orange, CA
August 30, 2007
This is the best customer service I have ever encountered -
for any product, any where. I have ordered twice and
received 9 types of Bougainvillea. They arrived perfectlly packaged about a month ago, about 8" high - and all types are already blooming beautifully. Rod Prejean makes you feel like you have made a friend, and is always ready to respond warmly with good advice. He even apologized for not being able to send a thank you for order email when he had been going thru a family loss. Ordering from this company was a delight and I have forwarded to everyone I know. It makes the plants even more special.
Positive lastingbud
Katy, TX
August 10, 2007
Many times I have placed plant orders and only felt like another order but I was greeted by the owner as a person with open arms of a friend, just liking the same type of plants.
This nursery's plants arrived with full instructions and looking like I was just moving it from one spot in my garden to another. No plants with half dead leaves or screaming for help after a long trip. As promised, the order arrived in a timely manner with packing delicate enough for the content to be as beautiful as pictured in cataloge but strong enough for a unaware postal service. These are far better plants than some of the most popular ordering houses have sent me in the past. After the first order and the results of a healthy plant I returned for another and with it being in the same region the owner understood what I was dealing with and made great suggestions as how to expand my garden. I am proud to say I got more plants and will surely return for more and more.
Positive bigbeaver
Harford, PA
July 30, 2007
I recently received my second order from Prejean's. I placed the order on the internet late Sunday evening, it was postmarked the next day (Monday) and I received it Wednesday morning. Fast !!!
Everything packaged was in great shape, much stronger than expected, and one of the bougainvilleas even had some blooms
The post office had bobbled.my first order and when the owner learned of it I received a personal e-mail from him followed by two telephone calls to verify receipt and check to see if I was happy with
the plants. It's very hard, if not impossible, to find that kind of customer service anywhere these days.
All this and at the right price too!
I give these guys a Big 10!
On July 22nd, 2008, bigbeaver added the following:

Because of the success I had with the bougainvilleas and plumeria I bought from Projean's some time ago I decided to order more for my home greenhouse Almost before I hit the send button on my e-maIl order I had a response telling me a tprnado touched down in his area and some of his greenhouses were damaged or destroyed. The twister altered his procedure and thus he wasn't sure about his inventory or ability to ship. I told him I understood and to just hold off until things were settled. I guess he could read between the lines and could detect my disappointment because I then received a phone call from Mr. Prejean personally. He advised me he did find some plants in good shape and would see that they were shipped the next day. He did and when I received them they were in perfect shape. Some were even blooming while in the carton. I was happy, the plants were healthy and Prejean Nursery once again came through as promised. I can't recommend them high enough and on this one I rate them with a whole bunch of gold stars.
Positive susiegirl812
Hurst, TX
July 30, 2007
It is such a pleasant experience to conduct business with a highly recommended, reputable, professional mail order nursery like Prejean's. My most recent order of 3 bougainvillea's (blooming no less) arrived in record time and in excellent condtion. I can always count on Prejean's Nursery for going above and beyond the normal in packing their orders with precision to safeguard against breakage of the plants or damage to the root system. I anxiously await the deliver of the order I placed today. I'm trying something new this time, I'm venturing out from the "norm of bogies" with a complete different type of plant. I know I can count on Rod's willingness to share his vast knowledge of these plants to help me along with my learning experience.
Positive bagthepi
Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10a)
July 21, 2007
I ordered 4 brugs from Prejean's. They arrived earlly January 2007. The owner took the time to email me and let me know exactly when they would ship and when to expect their arrival. Every one of these brugs survived our deep freeze and are now blooming happily in Southern California. The owner went out of his way to make certain that I knew what to expect from each brug (growth rate, blooming, etc) and even gave me advice on what to do in the event of another freeze. I would happily order from them again. Excellent service and product!
Positive cholla7
Lindsay, CA
April 25, 2007
I am very pleased with this nursery! Rod Prejean offers
fast and concise replies to emails; the shipping was
very fast; and the plants arrived unbroken and unwilted.
I would not hesitate to order again (probably will) or to
recommend this nursery to anyone. The bougainvilleas
came with well packed and moist root balls (not in pots)
and are well branched though smaller than what you might
get in one gallon containers from your local nursery. However
anyone who's grown bougainvilleas know they don't
remain small very long and that smaller, "quality" plants
will quickly outgrow larger, unhealthier plants.
Positive DiamondD
Baton Rouge, LA (Zone 8b)
January 3, 2007
I've ordered several times with Prejean's Nursery. They have more than met my expectations every time! I actually have another order out as I type. If you have any questions simply send an e-mail and you will get a quick response. My last shipment my bogie arrived in bloom! You definitely want to bookmark their site if in the market for brugs and bogies. Of course the Birds of Paradise arrive in top shape too! I've found a friend for life.
On January 10th, 2007, DiamondD added the following:

I just received my pony tail palm from Prejean's Nursery, oh my! I was going to post a picture here but I'm not able to. If you are interested in seeing the quality of their plants send me a d-mail, I always take a picture when I receive my order and then when they are potted.
Positive tolate
Salida, CA
December 15, 2006
The owner goes out of his way to help they are the best online nursery I have found
Positive Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL (Zone 7b)
June 24, 2006
Received order in great condition and fast, the plants were very well packed and I am very pleased with them! The Plumerias have nice roots and look in great shape, the Bougainvilleas are beautiful! Thank you!
Positive DRH2
Brunswick, ME (Zone 5a)
July 30, 2005
I decided to play around with growing a Brugmansia this year and as an after thought I ordered a Plumeria (which may not bloom up here in this zone). Dealing with the company was interesting. Got a confirmation e-mail with a personal note from the owner (Rod) with a bit of humor given his location versus ours (deep south vs. far north). Plants arrived and I almost fell over. The Plumeria looked like a funny stick with no roots and a couple of leaves on it; the Brugmansia had a few wilted leaves on the this 'Y' shaped stick and roots (it turns out that they deliberately prune them this way to get better shipping and better growth later on). But I planted them as per instructions. Here I am several months later and all are doing very well. Many, many blooms on the Brugmansia - even here in zone 4!!! Very impressive display for the pink variety. Service was personal, timely and pleasant. I would buy from them again (if I can't winter them over this year).