The scoop on 'The Appalachian Rose Nursery'

The Appalachian Rose Nursery

782 Old Belltown Mill Rd.
Tellico Plains, Tennessee 37385 (United States)

Phone: 423-519-0480

Editor's Comment:
Question Mark As of March 2010 their website is no longer working. If anyone has a status update on The Appalachian Rose Nursery, please contact the Garden Watchdog editors.

Comments:

Positive divvajacko
Hinckley, OH (Zone 6a)
May 7, 2009
Excellent. I ordered Julia Child and French Lace, both floribundas.

There wasn't a spot on either of them. Extremely healthy and ready to plant.

Great Customer service.

I will definitely be back!
On May 20th, 2009, divvajacko added the following:

And I am back. I ordered Elina, Lavaglut and Margaret Merril.

Great out of the box. I can't wait to plant them.
Positive vossner
Richmond, TX (Zone 9a)
April 29, 2009
I was so extremely pleased with my first order from Appalachian. Shall not be the last. I totally agree with other postings regarding how well the roses were packaged. They were very well protected against rough handling, not that I thought mine were "roughed up". Just saying those babies were not going anywhere, no matter what. Communications were great, prices were great, Appalachian is great.
Positive BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA
November 30, 2008
Working with Ron Johnston of Appalachian was a very pleasant buying experience. At the time I ordered, Mr. Johnson was testing a new shipping method to help save customers money with the hefty price increases imposed by most shipping companies. He communicated with me every step of the way and even sent one of the roses for a deeply discounted price as a thank you for trying the new packing method. The seven roses I received had already begun to enter dormancy in his location and arrived at my zone 8b home showing the signs of this dormancy, but most quickly began leafing out upon arrival. Only one is still leafless, but the canes are green so I feel confident it will come through fine. The plants are all one-gallon size, priced quite nicely and are harder-to-find cultivars. I'm very happy to have found such a fine nursery, and I will definitely purchase from them again in the future. A plus nursery! =)
Positive Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA (Zone 9a)
April 13, 2007
I had always wanted to order roses from this nursery, because they carry some that are exceptionally hard to find. Unfortunately, they don't ship to the West Coast states, so I never had this opportunity until I acquired my new Florida address.

The nursery is distinguished by a large and varied selection of roses, highly competitive prices, friendly and helpful customer service, and flawless packaging methods. The roses are delivered in 1-gallon containers and are large and healthy.

They do not accept credit cards, but they do hold the roses in reserve until your check arrives. This may sound like a slow process, but it was extraordinarily quick in my case. E-mail inquiries are answered right away. The roses arrived in Florida just 7 days after I first contacted the nursery to ask whether the roses I wanted were available.
Positive jojomood
Saint Joseph, MO
October 26, 2006
I bought several own-root hybrid tea roses from Ron Johnston at Appalachian Roses in Spring 2006 and was very pleased. The roses arrived in a timely manner and were well packed for shipment. The quality of the plants was excellent and they thrived and grew well when transplanted to the garden the entire growing season. The service, price, and quality were all good enough that I placed another order this year which is the highest compliment I can pay to the company. For very nice roses, give this place a try if they carry what you want.
Positive Nigella
Wilmington
United States
June 14, 2005
I bought six roses from Appalachian Rose Nursery recently. I am very happy with the plants and I will definitely buy from this nursery again. The owner is the strictest in terms of 'no virus' policy I know of. He sends every plant for Agida tests and does not sell any that test positive for RMV. He bought mot of his bud wood from UC Davis virus free stock.

Everybody who is concerned about getting roses with RMV should give this grower his/her business. Besides, he has some varieties that are not found everywhere else or very difficult to locate.

I highly recommend this nursery.