The scoop on 'Made in the Shade Gardens'

Made in the Shade Gardens

Made in the Shade Gardens has 534 products listed in PlantScout.

Green Star: Good Made in the Shade Gardens is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

16370 W. 138th Terrace
Olathe, Kansas 66062 (United States)

Phone: 913-206-6939

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive IAmGardenChik
Middle Valley, TN
April 18, 2014
I just received my first order from Made in the Shade Gardens but it certainly won't be my last! It arrived right on time just as promised, the packaging was not only well done but also very reasonable, and what large, healthy plants! I am extremely impressed with this company from start to finish. It's very obvious Rob takes pride in his business - it shows in the superior quality of his plants, and in the follow-up email he sends to customers to ensure satisfaction with their orders. I absolutely recommend this company without hesitation!
Positive suesickels
West Falls, NY (Zone 5a)
April 17, 2014
Made in the Shade produces a full list of common and unique hostas. With over 600 cultivars of my own, I am usually looking for specific plants and I am never disappointed. The quality of the plants is excellent. They are shipped in a careful and timely manner. Good communication through emails alerts me to look for the package so my plants will arrive in excellent condition.
Positive MoDeb
Fredericktown, MO
April 16, 2014
Excellent!!! What more can I say about Made in the Shade? My first order arrived today and I received excellent service, excellent communication, excellent packaging, excellent shipping and excellent pricing. Even more important - I received ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT hostas. They are truly gorgeous! :)

I will definitely recommend this nursery to my family, friends and neighbors!
Positive moonkiss
Norfolk, VA
April 9, 2014
This was also my first time with this company, and I must say there has only been one other company where I have had such a wonderful experience. The hostas arrived quickly and in perfect condition, plus the packaging was great. I also must mention the friendliness of the staff, in particular, Rob Mortko, who asked that I email him when the plants arrived, which they did, today! And now I am going to go right back and order some more!

Awesome company
Positive Cymbelina
Prattville, AL (Zone 8a)
April 7, 2014
This was my first order with this company and it won't be my last. The selection is second to none that I could find for hostas which do so well here. Their product list can be sorted for several different characteristics and I chose size to find the largest hostas they had. I want them next to some elephant ears in a shady part of my yard. I placed my order with an email instead of a thousand clicks and quickly got an invoice and used Paypal...so convenient. Then, the very excellent communication continued with Rob sending emails to let me know when they should arrive and checking to be sure that they did. They were very well packed with some care taken to keep them moist and fresh. I popped them into the ground in no time and the experience has been a very positive one. With their selection and specials, I look forward to many more hostas gracing those shady neglected areas of my yard. I, once again, have to thank Dave's Garden for steering me in the right direction. No matter what flashy gorgeoous amazing deals some catalogs offer, if they don't rate here at Dave's Garden, they won't get my business. This highly rated company has earned this good reputation in my experience thus far. Thanks, Rob and thanks DG!
Positive najoliaj
Mandeville, LA
April 4, 2014
I purchased my very first hostas from Dave. I was recommended to him by a friend. I was very impressed. I placed my order with one date for delivery (or ship) and then our weather warmed up exponentially so I emailed and asked if we could change that date. No problem!!! The change was made and I was notified when the shipment was made. I went to the tracking link and was offered the opportunity to follow the shipment. I did that and knew exactly when they arrived (not to mention Dave followed up by email with me on the potential arrival of two specific days) I got the hostas yesterday and WOW they were in perfect shape (my husband was so concerned I was making a mistake having a plant shipped). The packaging was excellent and the plants and roots looked fabulous. My beds had already been prepared so I was able to put them right in the ground. This morning they looked very perky and beautiful. I'm just thrilled with my experience. HMMMM the hosta of the month is looking awful pretty -- maybe I need more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Positive tinnette
Matthews, NC
September 26, 2013
I first met Rob and visited Made in the Shade several years ago when I lived in Kansas City. I loved visiting his greenhouse to pick out my hosta for the year. The plants were always healthy and mature which made an instant impact on my gardens. Our gardens were open every year to at least two garden tours. My hosta beds were always a favorite on tour. When I moved to NC two years ago, I have continued to buy hosta from Rob for my new garden. There has never been a time when I have gotten less than excellent mature plants that do well in my garden. In fact, there have been times when he would not ship a plant that he did not feel was ready to go into my garden. I am a customer for as long as Rob continues Made in the Shade. Thanks, Rob!!
Positive tnobbe
Oshkosh, WI
September 20, 2013
This is the first time I have ordered and am thrilled with my hostas. They are larger than I expected and very healthy. I highly recommend Made in the Shade.
Positive maureench
Philadelphia, PA
September 11, 2013
A++. Received prompt emails acknowledging order and when to expect shipment. Healthy plants received in excellent condition. Professional, friendly, responsive. A real pleasure.
Positive jimd2
Marysville, OH
September 9, 2013
i have had two orders with them and had great service and quality plants both times.
Positive Okiepharmgirl
Tulsa, OK
August 24, 2013
Great plants, wonderful customer service, super nice guy. Will definitely order again!
Positive nls21075
Elkridge, MD
August 15, 2013
I just received my order of large and variegated hostas from Rob, and I couldn't be happier. The shipping was fast, and the plants were large, healthy, and in great condition. The roots were moist and also very healthy, and they were well packed. I'm very pleased with the quick service and will order again. Also, the selection was amazing!
Positive lilpocky
Greencastle, PA
August 2, 2013
First of all, their selection is AMAZING. I was looking for one particular hosta which I could find nowhere else and they had it! They have a great online catalog with all kinds of variety from which to choose. It is in alphabetical order, and it tells you whether it has a certain fragrance, what the color variation is, what the size is, and what color flowers each plant has. Even more, it has pictures for nearly every selection they have and gives a price.

What impressed me as well was their customer service. I was told when it shipped out. On the day I was supposed to receive it, I received an email asking for me to reply to tell them whether everything had gotten to my house to my satisfaction. What other nursery does that?!

Plus, they have Paypal as an option, so I felt safe and secure in my payment.

I'm hoping for great success with my hostas! A+ company.
Positive CementQueen
Bull Valley, IL
July 18, 2013
Plants were large and in perfect condition. Excellent customer service. This was my second order in a couple of years. The selection is great.
Positive wbrewerjr
Omaha, NE
July 13, 2013
I ordered only two plants and after receiving them, I wished that I would have purchased more. The quality was excellent and packaging also excellent. Everything about the transaction was outstanding. I will be shopping for more very soon.
Positive cbarnard
Richland, WA
July 11, 2013
I ordered a hosta with a specific mailing date. Hosta was mailed as requested and plant was received in great condition. Communication from Rob the Hosta Guy was timely and appreciated. Would gladly do business with them again!
Positive hydeparkroad
Ravenel, SC
July 6, 2013
All good! Thanks, Rob!
Positive woodsqueer
Greenville, ME
July 6, 2013
I love Made in the Shade Gardens. The Hostas are always beautiful and packaged so well. The selection is one of the best on line. This is the only place I buy my Hostas.
Positive mattsmom
Tomah, WI
July 3, 2013
I just received my first order from Rob at Made In The Shade gardens. I am thrilled at the sizes of the hosta that I ordered. Rob's communication, packaging, shipping & hosta are wonderful. I am sure that I will be a return customer! Thank you Rob!!!
Positive Eclipse
Norwalk, IA (Zone 5b)
June 26, 2013
Placed the order for hostas at 8pm and got an answer at 9:50 pm same day!
The plants were great sized,not a broken leaf or stem.Best I have gotten online! Will definately do business again,and again, and,

Kyle C.
Iowa
Positive Liberty12
Minneapolis, MN
June 21, 2013
All 6 hostas arrived - all excellent plants, generous sizes, too. Very pleased with buying experience.
Positive ConnorsCurls
Forest Hills, MI
June 17, 2013
I placed an order and all the plants arrived carefully packaged and were great specimens.
I have also sent questions to Rob about concerns with my own plants and he has always responded and been very helpful.
I will definitely order from this garden again.
Thanks!
Positive jfkiii
UNION MILLS, NC
June 17, 2013
Mr. Hosta Guy [Rob] impressed me on the phone and his attention to details prompted me to place my first order with him. My plants were shipped as promised and arrived in perfect condition. The plant sizes and especially the big root systems [[to me roots and crown are the most important sign of a plant that is healthy and will grow quickly] meet my criteria for plant success.
I was also impressed with Rob's follow-up after the shipment and his quick response to an inquiry that I made after receiving my order.
Positive KfHosta
Ladue, MO
June 14, 2013
First time to order by mail from Made in the Shade but had heard many positive comments from other members of the St Louis Hosta Society. We have had such cool, rainy weather that I didn't even think to check before telling them to go ahead and ship. They traveled over two days in the 90s. Coming out of the box, they looked so fresh I couldn't believe it was possible. They were the healthiest, largest root systems I have ever ordered. Will always check here first to see if they have what I am looking for.
Positive grammaquilter
ELLERY, IL
June 14, 2013
I am extremely pleased with my hosta plants. They arrived promptly. They were huge plants, healthy and green. The best plants I've ever received mail-order. I was shocked at how lovely the plants were as I opened the box. They have exceeded my expectations. They are now my first choice for hosta orders.
Positive gardenlarch
Saint Clair, MI
June 8, 2013
I was very pleased with my order. The communication was excellent and the plants arrived in great shape. The leaves and roots were very healthy. I would not hesitant to order again.
Positive neohiogardener
Struthers, OH
June 5, 2013
Wow! I can't say enough good things about this company. Perfect communication, careful packaging, huge plants that adapted very well in my garden. Purchase with confidence, you'll be glad you did.
Positive elfeik
Near Kansas City, MO (Zone 6a)
May 23, 2013
Good selection at reasonable prices. Made a second order to them this year, both times I have received large healthy starts.
Positive JetGal
Sugar Grove, IL
May 23, 2013
Shame on me for not posting after receipt of my 1st order with Made In The Shade last September, but, "better late than never." Was so very happy with the plants I received last year + the awesome customer service provided by Rob that I knew I would be placing more orders with him going forward, which I did this past Monday.

In addition to all of the hosta varieties Rob offers, I couldn't believe how many more he added for 2013! How's a girl to choose??? Whew ... that was difficult, but I some how managed to maintain some level of self-control!

Thanks Rob & Made In The Shade for the beautiful plants you sent me last year [which are growing wonderfully] & I can't wait to receive my new plants next week :)

Positive veryblessed
Morehead, KY
Posted on October 22, 2010, updated May 23, 2013
We received our first order from Rob. He kept me up to date from the day they were shipped until I received them! The hosta's are beautiful and very well packaged. I am already planning my spring order from Made in the Shade Gardens! Its a beautifu morning here in Kentucky, I cant wait to get them in the ground!
On May 23rd, 2013, veryblessed added the following:

I just received my second order from Rob at Made in the Shade. What can I say, the hostas were beautiful and the packaging was great. Rob always has a great selection of newer varieties at prices that canít be beat. I have purchased many hostas from Rob over the last 3 years or so and I donít think I have lost one. I highly recommend Made in the Shade!
Positive Irod
Danbury, WI
May 21, 2013
As a new customer I was concerned about the quality of the ordered hostas. The plants were in great condition, ready to plant. Rob has a returning customer because of his "customer service" and a great product!
Positive ZBestGal
Biddeford, ME
May 20, 2013
Oh it must be Christmas. Four large boxes of hostas arrived today from Made in the Shade. I am very impressed with the size and health of the plants! Thank you Rob Mortko these plants are great.
Positive SueOklaHoward
Fort Lauderdale, FL
May 20, 2013
On April 3,2013 I received 31 Hostas that I had been ordering since Nov.2012. I ordered 6 each month and sent a check with each order so in April all I would have to pay was the shipping. Rob thought that was a great idea because I'm on SS now. The plants arrived and the packing was actually pretty, I felt I should pay extra but Rob said "thats the way we do it'. The root systems were huge,every plant had 3 to 7 eyes they were all already leafing out, I mean beautiful healthy plants. April I odered another 6 plants same thing, I get an email that my order arrived and 3 days later I have my beautiful Hostas. In11/2 months they have doubled and some tripled in size. I will keep ordering each month because I"m just up to the L's . And the say Hostas won't grow in Florida.
Positive Cheryl8
Monroe Township, NJ (Zone 7a)
May 9, 2013
Posted on August 20, 2009, updated May 9, 2013
I ordered hosta "Blue Ivory" which arrived three days after I placed my order. The hosta I received was just beautiful, very healthy and in perfect condition. Rob is just a great guy to do business with. Communication is excellent as is all his plants. Thanks again!
On May 9th, 2013, Cheryl8 added the following:

I purchased hosta "Clovelly", as always hosta arrived in perfect condition and very healthy. Communication with Rob is excellent. I am always happy with all my purchases and
I highly recommended this company to all hosta lovers.
Positive Maceyboy
Westfield Center, OH (Zone 6a)
May 3, 2013
I received my shipment of Hosta's on time and in great condition. These are nice sized plants and I plan to give Rob more orders as our planting room permits. I am a long time member of the American Hosta Society and appreciate the quality of the plants they offer.
Positive Grinchie
Mineral Wells
United States
April 25, 2013
Would I buy from this company again? You bet!! I received good service, plants were healthy and had good a root system, they were packaged well, and they provided good communication.

1. They emailed me when my order shipped and provided
me a tracking number.
2. They tracked my order, and emailed me to let me know
what day to expect my order.
3. They wanted me to email them once I received my hosta order and inspected my plants.

How many companies do this for their customers? This shows me they care about their customers and their company's reputation. I'd highly recommend this company to anyone who wants to buy hostas.
Positive jackeezfarm
Port Orchard, WA (Zone 8b)
April 12, 2013
I have been a very happy repeat customer. The service is excellent, and the plant's root systems are excellent. They arrived fresh and moist and ready to plant.
Positive lannyt
Harbor Springs, MI
October 1, 2012
I was looking for fragrant hostas and they e-mailed me information that was very helpful. I order 2 different type and they inform me that a third kind was a better selection for one kind. I followed their advice and I am very happy with their choice. The plants arrived promtly and in great shape.

I will order for them agin.

lannyt
Positive alheline
Dundee, IL
July 31, 2012
Posted on June 20, 2011, updated July 31, 2012
Posted on May 8, 2008, updated June 20, 2011
By far, this has been a fantastic transaction. I recently lost two mail-ordered Fujibotan Hosta to an insane squirrel. Looking to replace them, I found Rob and his 'Made in the Shade Gardens'. I took 'that chance' and ordered replacement Fujibotans from Rob. First of all, the communications relative to the order were great. Rob and/or his staff were right atop the order. Further, they did exactly what they said they would do, when they said they would do it; not exactly the 'norm' in mail-order nurseries.

The Hosta arrived USPS Priority mail today (along with the rainstorm that Rob was so kind to supply) and were in perfect condition, well packed, mature, and ready to go into the ground (when the rain quits). I have told Rob and will tell anybody, this order has been a pleasant surprise, actually, beyond expectations and Rob has gained a new customer.

I have not been into gardening that long but, I spent over 40 years of my life as a Service Manager in the computer hardware business. Rated on a scale of 1-10, Made in the Shade Gardens gets a 12+++ in my book. He/they understand how to satisfy a customers needs.
On September 17th, 2009, alheline added the following:

Two or three orders later - - - I came upon a 'SPECIAL NEED' for a particular hosta, actually two of them, one for myself and one as a gift for a life-long friend that was undergoing a very serious medical situation. I e-mailed Rob with a question about the hosta and was surprised when he responded within minutes. He was not at home/nursery and said he would get back to by around 6PM. His response was early, which caught me off guard again. He had what I asked for, which in itself was a special request. He invoiced me so that I could pay by Pay-Pal (correctly) but I needed to talk to him. When I called, he was already (physically) packing my hosta for shipment the next morning. Both arrived today, one in Illinois, one in Pennsylvania. Both (and the one in PA was going to a Big-Time gardener) were both in perfect condition. She will not be able to plant it - so she 'drafted' her husband and will supervise the planting.

Rob and 'Made in the Shade Gardens' has raised the bar again. There is a reason that there are no Neutral or Negative reports for this company - They are GREAT and care for their customers as well as they do their hosta.
On June 20th, 2011, alheline added the following:

June 17th, 2011 - 10 more of Rob's hosta arrived in perfect condition and were planted. Eight of the ten were for a small project and were of a lesser expensive variety, but were packed with extra special care because some are already in bloom. Only one of the scapes got broken but there is another spike ready to bloom on the same plant. Yes, it was a multi-eye plant, yet another thing you don't expect to see in mail order plants. The quality of plants received from Made In The Shade continues to be great and every plant has been healthy. Thanks Rob.
On July 31st, 2012, alheline added the following:

Yet another 10 plants (Rainbow's End hosta) arrived USPS Express Mail in perfect condition this past week. Rob advised me via email that the plants were enroute and the mailman delivered them as expected. They were removed from their shipping box immediately and found to be in excellent condition. I lost one leaf out of the 10 plants. The route networks were fantastic, as usual. In this week of Olympic competition in the UK, if there was a Gold medal for 'Hosta Mail Order Companies' there would be nobody even close. 'Made In The Shade Gardens' wins again.
Positive steamrocket1
Middleton, WI
July 6, 2012
I got a lot of personal attention from Made in the Shade. They have a great selection of plants, fast shipping, and very reasonable prices. The hostas I ordered arrived very quickly and were in great shape. The both had extensive root systems. I will definitely order from Made in the Shade again and give them a very strong recommendation. You won't be disappointed.