The scoop on 'Made in the Shade Gardens'

Made in the Shade Gardens

Green Star: Good Made in the Shade Gardens is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

16370 W. 138th Terrace
Olathe, Kansas 66062 (United States)

Phone: 913-206-6939

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive gingerburr
Lynn, MA
June 16, 2016
Rob at hostaguy.com made it all so easy! The hosta selection is truly amazing. My order arrived on time and in perfect condition and the plants are thriving! I wish I had a bigger garden so I could get more from him.
Positive Hilarysucks
Ava, MO
June 5, 2016
I received my order on time and was impressed with the quality.
Hostas were healthy looking and the root system was awesum.
I could not ask for more !
Positive kailunkat
Chicago, IL
May 13, 2016
Ordered two different Hosta plants - both sets arrived well packaged, moist, and plants were very healthy with excellent root growth. Made in the Shade followed up to make sure everything was to my liking. Very very pleased with this purchase, I will use them again and highly recommend them to others.
Positive southcentral
Edgewood, IL (Zone 6b)
May 12, 2016
Great email communication from placing the order through to follow up after delivery. My hosta order arrived quickly, packaged very well. Lovely plants, very healthy, I'm super pleased. I'd definitely refer my family & friends & would order from Made in the Shade Gardens again.
Positive mmosillo
Villa Park, IL
May 12, 2016
My experience with Hostaguy.com / Made in the Shade Gardens was great! I couldn't find the varieties I wanted from my normal source so I took a chance here. Communication was excellent! They let me know when they shipped so I could watch for them. Packaging was excellent - it looked like they were just dug up. They were much more robust than the ones I got from my previous source. I'm thrilled and will definitely place my orders here in the future!
Positive Palrdh
Saint Louis, MO
April 24, 2016
I received my hostas last week and couldn't be happier. Not only did they have a very well developed root system but the foliage was full and not a damaged leaf in the bunch. This was my first experience with mail order for plants and would highly recommend Made in the Shade to any hosta lover. I just I had more areas where I could plant!
Positive Chiefsfan60
Maryville, IL
April 20, 2016
I called Made in the Shade several weeks ago to order several hosta. I sensed immediately that I had reached the right place, in that I was treated courteously and actually neighborly. I guess if you don't like your neighbors that could be construed negatively, that's not the case here. The order was placed quickly and professionally with any questions regarding when said order would be filled and shipped. I received an email to expect my hostas on a certain day and was not disappointed.
My new hostas arrived in pristine condition, leaves vibrant and fresh. All that is left is to plant them and watch them grow!
The next time I order hosta for my garden, there is zero doubt that they will be ordered from Made in the Shade.
Positive honeybells
Portland, OR
April 18, 2016
This company is an incredible resource for shade gardeners! When the plants arrived, they looked like I had picked them up at the nursery instead of them having spent time in transit. The packing was impressive, both in how the plants looked, but also in the econ-friendly lack of excessive packing. Communication was fast and very friendly. This has been the best mail order experience I have had in many years of ordering plants via mail.
Positive cottelpg
Hamilton, OH (Zone 6a)
April 14, 2016
I ordered from Made in the Shade in the spring 2015. The hostas arrived on time and in fine shape. The plants were beautiful. The customer service was excellent. This company deserves its excellent reputation. I recommend Made in the Shade to anyone ordering hostas.
Positive yankeeshagger
Vass, NC
August 7, 2015
Website was easy to use and informative. Was able to contact via phone to get additional information. Order follow-up initiated by human rather than computer. Good experience.
Positive mrswilb
Leoti, KS
July 10, 2015
This is my first order with Made In The Shade and everything was fantastic. Great selection and good communications. The plants arrived well packaged and were very healthy. I ordered eleven plants and a month later they are doing great. I have ordered several plants thru the mail and these were by far the healthiest and most well packaged I have ever received. I highly recommend this company and will be ordering again.
Positive Steveo3366
Oshkosh, WI
July 10, 2015
I will defiantly order from again, Rob was very helpful and followed through with exceptional communication from the time of purchase to the shipping date, and even making sure my plants are doing well after planting. All plants were very healthy, large, and packaged well.

Thanks again for a great buying experience!!
Steve
Positive veryblessed
Morehead, KY
July 2, 2015
Posted on May 23, 2013, updated July 2, 2015
Posted on October 22, 2010, updated May 23, 2013
We received our first order from Rob. He kept me up to date from the day they were shipped until I received them! The hosta\'s are beautiful and very well packaged. I am already planning my spring order from Made in the Shade Gardens! Its a beautifu morning here in Kentucky, I cant wait to get them in the ground!
On May 23rd, 2013, veryblessed added the following:

I just received my second order from Rob at Made in the Shade. What can I say, the hostas were beautiful and the packaging was great. Rob always has a great selection of newer varieties at prices that canít be beat. I have purchased many hostas from Rob over the last 3 years or so and I donít think I have lost one. I highly recommend Made in the Shade!
On July 2nd, 2015, veryblessed added the following:

I skipped adding any hosta's last year, but placed an order with Rob again this year and as always excellent communication, customer service AND plants!
Positive scott55tx
Duncanville, TX
June 19, 2015
First time buying from this company.Placed an order for 10 hostas.Received plants very quickly. Plants were packaged very well. The plants themselves were excellent.Large plants
with excellent root systems.Definitly very pleased with purchase.
Will be ordering again from them when I'm ready for more hostas.
Positive k9crzy
Ankeny, IA
June 7, 2015
Wonderful plants with fantastic root systems. I have mail ordered hostas before but nothing compares to the quality of plants from Made in the Shade hostas. Rob is just as nice in person when I was in Kansas last year. Couldn't rate them higher!! Great hostas!
Positive Nina12
Milwaukee, WI
June 4, 2015
Ordered three hostas. (First time with company). Good sized healthy plants with generous amounts of roots. Already picking out my next order! Customer service is a 10+.
Positive mal28
Chagrin Falls, OH
June 3, 2015
Posted on April 30, 2015, updated June 3, 2015
Very pleased, plants arrived on time, very healthy and very well packaged

I will highly recommend them
On June 3rd, 2015, mal28 added the following:

Ordered from them again and am VERY pleased, beautiful healthy plants, excellent roots and very well packaged

If you want Hostas, this is the place
Positive 10Olsens
Bangor, WI
May 7, 2015
I was very pleased with how quickly I received my order. The hostas are in beautiful shape and much larger than I had expected. I will definitely be buying from them again.
Positive mgcmember07
Arkoe, MO
May 6, 2015
Large selection online. Can look by color or size etc. Heard back quickly regarding when they would ship. Came exactly when they had said. Packing was wonderful. Plants very nice size. Better than any other hostas I have ordered from other places. Root system is gorgeous. Will use them again and again. Thanks.
Positive rowtreeman
Roswell, NM
May 3, 2015
The Hostas arrived quickly and very well packed. They loked healthy and so far are doing well. Good advice too.
Positive Hostageorge
Metuchen, NJ
April 30, 2015
First experience. Absolutely satisfied with purchase. Plants are decent size with well developed root system. Well packed.
Will definitely use Made In the Shade again. Thanks, Rob
Positive bughunter99
Downers Grove, IL
April 22, 2015
I ordered five very special hosta's from Made in the Shade this spring. They arrived today. All are in great condition. Nice size and with well developed root systems. They were packed well and delivered during the time expected. The email that told me to expect them today or tomorrow was a nice touch from Rob since our mailman is often lazy about bringing packages to the door. I am a repeat customer of Made in the Shade. They can always be counted on to provide an excellent selection, with descriptions and photos that are true and plants delivered in great shape.
Positive jmmerrifield
Warner Robins, GA
April 16, 2015
Posted on May 23, 2014, updated April 16, 2015
If you are an avid hosta fan, look no further than Made In the Shade. They have a stunning variety to choose from, and the processing of your order is superior from start to finish. They ship on Monday\'s and Tuesday\'s so your order is there before the end of the week, usually within a couple of days of shipment. Each specimen is carefully packaged with tender loving care, and they arrive in excellent condition. The Hosta Guy is the one to turn to if you love hostas like I do and have bountiful shade in your yard that needs some stunning additions!
On April 16th, 2015, jmmerrifield added the following:

Update for 04/15/2015 - I just received my latest hosta additions from Dave at Made In the Shade, and as always they were perfectly packaged and were in fabulous condition. I will of course be ordering again from Made In The Shade, and I am always excited to receive my latest additions to my hosta collection from Dave.
Positive kbradymd
Houston, TX
October 2, 2014
The hostas I ordered arrived promptly the day after they shipped them. They were in great condition, and seem to be tolerating the move well. Rob is VERY generous with the size of the specimens, and they arrived with many leaves attached, unlike many other mail-order nurseries. I really appreciate the great customer service, which included a quick phone response to a previous inquiry. I will order again with confidence!
Positive mrsjschu
Middletown, OH
September 4, 2014
I ran across a reference to hosta plantaginea ("Venus") and decided I would like to have one. I did a google search and the only place that had Venus was Made in the Shade Gardens. I placed my order and had to wait less than a week (with a holiday thrown in there) for Venus's arrival.
This morning, I received an email that alerted me to the delivery and asked that I contact Rob if the plant did not arrive by tomorrow, at the latest. How's that for useful communication?
Venus arrived, and she was packaged so carefully and safely, that when she was removed from the box, she looked fresh and primed for her new home. Planting directions were included, which were great for me since I am a novice.
I am so happy with this purchase. I expected a little nub with a couple of sad-looking roots, but I wanted to give mail order a try. My Venus is much bigger and healthier than those that I have seen at big box and garden stores.
Everything about this experience was positive, and I will not hesitate to spread the good word about Made in the Shade Gardens, and to turn to Rob for future purchases.
Positive Cheryl8
Monroe Township, NJ (Zone 7a)
August 28, 2014
Posted on May 9, 2013, updated August 28, 2014
Posted on August 20, 2009, updated May 9, 2013
I ordered hosta \"Blue Ivory\" which arrived three days after I placed my order. The hosta I received was just beautiful, very healthy and in perfect condition. Rob is just a great guy to do business with. Communication is excellent as is all his plants. Thanks again!
On May 9th, 2013, Cheryl8 added the following:

I purchased hosta \"Clovelly\", as always hosta arrived in perfect condition and very healthy. Communication with Rob is excellent. I am always happy with all my purchases and
I highly recommended this company to all hosta lovers.
On August 28th, 2014, Cheryl8 added the following:

My new order with Made in the Shade arrived today. The hosta's 'Praying Hands', 'Tickle Me Pink' and 'Curly Fries' are just beautiful. Big, and I mean big healthy roots. Doing business with Rob is always a pleasure. Communication is A+, prompt, helpful and courteous. That is why I always return to this company. Thank you Rob!
Positive lynverk
Columbia, MO
June 19, 2014
Last year we did a hardscaping project on our backyard and this year we needed to landscape the area. Out backyard is full of shade so hostas are the ideal plants for us. I was looking for some unique plants to add interest to our area and was thrilled to find Made in the Shade! They have so many different varieties! I was able to find hostas with various sizes, shapes and colors! The plants are good sized and very healthy! What a wonderful experience! Thank you!!!
Positive cabbageleaf123
Bayard, IA
June 13, 2014
Posted on June 6, 2014, updated June 13, 2014
Made in the Shade Gardens has got to be one of the most outstanding for quality plants, (large healthy, great roots, pristine plants!) customer service, and care in their packing and shipping of these plants. Rob was in contact with me to let me know when the plants shipped, and they want to satisfy their customers. Excellent! I will definitely be doing business with Made in the Shade Gardens again. This is the way to do business. Refreshing! 10 gold stars!
On June 13th, 2014, cabbageleaf123 added the following:

Placed another order with Made in the Shade Gardens because I was so impressed with the service and quality of the plants. Again, I was very pleased with the Hostas. Quality and Superlative service. Exceptional! This is the place to go! Thanks again!
Positive lindaisling
Viroqua, WI (Zone 4b)
June 12, 2014
I have had such a great experience with Made in the Shade Gardens that I just had to write about it. The communication between myself and the "Hosta Guy" has been exceptional! My emails were answered promptly with all the information that I needed. The plants came this week and I cannot begin to tell you how amazed I was to pull out plant after plant in excellent condition. I ordered 11 hostas this year and if finances allow it I will be ordering more every year from now on! I have purchased hostas from area stores in the past and not only did they not have any of the interesting hostas that I found at found at Made in the Shade Gardens but I had to work hard to get them to grow in the fertile composted soil that I have here on the farm. I have had most of the hostas in the ground for 2 days now and even though they came bare root to save on postage, there is not a sign of transplant shock! I am so happy with this experience that I just don't have words that are good enough to describe it! Thank you "Hosta Guy", I am glad to know that there are honest companies involved in mail order businesses. You can bet I will be telling everyone who comes to the house or that I meet in my journeys about your company.
Positive Sarabird
Bremerton, WA
June 10, 2014
The plants I received are very well packaged and very big! I am quite pleased with my ordering experience from this provider :)))
Positive bj4dave
Spring, TX
June 7, 2014
You can believe all these great reviews...... Made in the Shade is a wonderful company to order hosta's from..The site is full of information that is so helpful....The plants I received were outstanding, and healthy .......and packaged so carefully...The shipping is so fast that I put them straight into the garden, and did not have to pot them first to recover from the trip....lol.. A+ all the way around bjm
Positive onagadori
Lexington, KY
June 4, 2014
I had an excellent experience with Made In The Shade this year. I received 20+ plants, all larger than expected for the excellent prices. I will tell others and plan to order again. Very pleased and highly recommended.

B. Reeder
Positive Casseopia
Arkoe, MO
May 30, 2014
I just received my first order from Made in the Shade. The plants arrived quickly & were in great shape! In fact, they were gorgeous, nice sized hostas. I will be placing another order very soon! Rob was great to do business with!!!
Positive farmerbarrie
Fayette, ME
May 17, 2014
This was the first time I have ordered plants from out of state. A friend recommended "Made in the Shade Gardens" as her favorite hosta site. She knows a lot about hostas having over 75 plants in her garden.
My 6 plants came on time and looked terrific. I planted them a few days ago and they look more healthy than my older hosta plants that are just emerging. The new plants continue to look healthy and strong. Their root systems were dense and moist upon arrival. They did a super job packing them for me. All in all, I am very impressed with this company and plan to do more business with them in the very near future.
Positive LinkMNY
Harris Hill, NY
May 15, 2014
I am a veteran mail order gardener and Hosta grower, but had never ordered from Made in the Shade before. I guarantee I will be ordering from the Hosta Guy again! I ordered 8 mini and dwarf varieties that are not always easy to find locally and they arrived well-packaged, on time, and in great shape.
Positive rosies_garden
Walkerton, IN
May 9, 2014
Posted on April 17, 2008, updated May 9, 2014
This was the best experience that I've ever had when ordering anything!!!

I was looking for hosta "Stitch in Time" and found Rob's website. I emailed questions about another hosta and was amazed by the prompt courteous reply that I received. I was so impressed by Rob's sincerity that I ordered 6 hostas. They were ordered on the 7th and received on the 16th. They are healthy, beautiful plants with very large roots. They are in perfect condition - can't ask for anything better. I am creating a new hosta garden and will be ordering more as soon as I can get the area ready.
On May 9th, 2014, rosies_garden added the following:

I received a shipment of hostas from Rob on Wednesday. They are big, beautiful, healthy plants - just what I expect when I order from Made in the Shade Gardens. I emailed Rob on May 1st with a list of the plants I was looking for and he replied immediately. The plants were shipped on May 5th and arrived by Priority Mail on May 7th. Can't ask for better service than that! I also have the privilege of buying plants from Rob when he vends at Hosta College. The plants he sells while vending are just as spectacular as the ones he sells online. I've never had a bad experience and I've been buying from Made in the Shade since 2008.
Positive MtnGardener
Longmont, CO (Zone 5a)
May 9, 2014
Posted on May 8, 2008, updated May 9, 2014
The plants were delivered priority mail and arrived in terrific shape. They are beautiful! I have mail ordered from other companies and have always been disappointed. Not this time!! I would recommend Rob to anyone.
On May 9th, 2014, MtnGardener added the following:

Last fall, 2013, I made another order with Rob. The plants arrived in box that had clearly been crushed during transport. I contacted Rob and he assured me that they'd be a-ok. The root system on the hostas were incredible. I planted them and held my breathe all winter. Well, he was right! Both of the semi crushed hostas are up and look great. Now to keep the pesky rabbits off them!
Positive melanie3979
Lynnfield, MA
April 26, 2014
I ordered four hosta plants and they arrived this week looking gorgeous! Very carefully packed with healthy foliage and long roots, looking forward to planting them in my shade garden this weekend.
Positive BrisbaneAnne
Brisbane, CA (Zone 10b)
April 24, 2014
Based on the positive reviews on DG and the very useful website, I decided to place my first hostas order (13 plants) from Made in the Shade. Order arrived quickly, nice plants, helpful communication. All good. I planted them the same way: in pots the same day they arrived and placed them in the same location. All growing very well except one, which eventually died. I sent Rob a picture of them and asked for advice. He promptly sent a replacement. I was very pleasantly surprised by the large beautiful looking replacement I got. Thank you Rob. Definitely recommend Made in the Shade .
Positive skidmorea80
Jeffersonville, KY
April 23, 2014
I have just received my first hosta order from made in the shade gardens and it arrived lightening fast! The plants were so well packed and healthy! It's clear that they really care for each plant personally. Can't wait to order a few more!!

Copyright © 2000-2016 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.