The scoop on 'Plant Safari'

Plant Safari

3710 Via Real
Carpinteria, California 93013 (United States)

Comments:

Negative stantowns
Los Angeles, CA
May 2, 2010
I ordered some plants on line from Plant Safari in Carpinteria, CA. The website says that they will call you to get the credit card info. I never heard from them. I sent a second email asking them to call my cell, since I always have that with me. No response to the email or the original order. I called the phone number on their website and it just rang.
Maybe they went out of business. ?
Negative bcobble
Oakland, CA
November 19, 2009
Posted on November 18, 2009, updated November 18, 2009
Posted on October 28, 2009, updated November 18, 2009
I ordered 9 Galvezia 'Firecracker' on October 4th a $99 order, and have not received any plants thus far. I have sent email and left two telephone messages inquiring about the status of the order and have received no response. I will give them a neutral rating at this point, but would recommend that anybody think twice before ordering from them based on the service so far.

Bruce
On November 19th, 2009, bcobble changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

I still have received no plants, email or telephone calls from Plant Safari about my order. They have not cashed the check I sent and I have asked for it to be returned, Their website now points back to the person that build it. I definitely would not order from them.
On November 19th, 2009, bcobble added the following:

Neutral seagardener
Southport, ME
March 4, 2009
There does seem to be a bit of a laissez faire attitude with this company. We attempted to submit an internet order a month or more ago & a "transaction declined" message came up. I called the company & was told that there was a problem with the credit card processing system or something to that effect and was given instructions to try again in a month. I tried again in a month & the same message still comes up. I checked our data and it is accurate and have submitted dozens of other orders without incident. Here it is March and their website is still rejecting orders? This is a peculiar way of doing business. I was given the option to fax my order but the fax number is the same as the phone and a person picked up during our fax. I've tried four times to submit an order without success. I cannot imagine paying tech support expenses for a website that won't accept or rejects orders. Plant Safari has to be losing business because of this.
Negative j_brown
Freeport, ME
August 10, 2008
Last May (2007) I ordered $100 total (w/ shipping) for chocolate cosmos for our daughter's wedding which was to be held in our yard. Understand that we are in Maine, not California, so the growing season is more limited. Weeks, emails and phone calls went by: still no plants! In July I emailed them to cancel the order since the season here is too short. No response.

The order was still shipped! On August 26! No communication, no explanations. The smaill plants were healthy , but there was no way they could grow enough to bloom before the frost, let alone the Sept. 15th wedding. I decided to plant them and dig the roots for next season. I dug the roots in the fall and stored them to plant this spring. They were not healthy enough to plant.

I cannot recommend this company and would never order from them again. Had they simply said that they were having difficulty obtaining the plants, it would have been fine. We would have cancelled the cosmos order but would have turned to them for other items in the future. Things like that happen and are understandable. Plant Safari did not appear to care about anything except charging my credit card.

Positive SierraTigerLily
Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10b)
April 6, 2008
Just tried to place an order on the website. Received a "merchant error" warning. I will contact them by phone during the week and update my feedback here.
On April 7th, 2008, SierraTigerLily changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I called the next day and the owner quickly fixed the problem. I can't wait to see the beautiful limelight salvias!
On May 20th, 2008, SierraTigerLily added the following:

My limelight salvias arrived yesterday in perfect condition, carefully wrapped. The plants were healthy in size an appearance. He even threw in a free tropical salvia for my to try. How sweet!
Positive ecrane3
Dublin, CA (Zone 9a)
January 7, 2008
Something weird seems to be going on with Plant Safari--I placed an order from their website in July 07. Nothing happened for several months, so I contacted them using the contact links on their website. Got no reply, so then a month or two later, I tried again. Finally got an answer back at the end of November from them apologizing and asking if I was still interested in the plants. I said I was, and I'd be happy to take the plants then, or else wait until spring depending on their shipping schedule. As of today, I have received no further communication from them (and no plants). I don't want to give them a negative rating since I haven't gotten any plants yet (and they didn't charge my credit card...no harm, no foul!) but I did want to post this as a heads up to others who may be considering placing an order from them. I will be sure to update this report if I ever do get my plants.
On May 20th, 2008, ecrane3 changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

OK, I'm now updating to a positive--I came home from work tonight and was surprised to see a box on my porch, and it turned out to be my plants from Plant Safari. All the plants were healthy and in great shape, and they threw in 2 extra plants for free too!
Positive tootsiepotts
Harmony, PA (Zone 5b)
May 8, 2006
When my order arrived, I immediately opened and cared for the plants. Unfortunately, two of them dropped all their leaves within a day or two, with death being eminent. I e-mailed my problem and relayed the info that I'm an experienced grower, with about 500 plants going strong.
They promised a replacement which arrived today. Along with two additional plants! That's the kind of prompt customer service I like!
Positive ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX (Zone 9b)
December 5, 2005
Did a co-op with this Plant Safari. Great Plants and Great People.

I ordered over 140 plants. They were greatly packed and in great shape.

The Co-op started in May but due extremely hot temperatures here in Texas we could not recieve them till october.
Had alot of very happy co-op participants. Would highly recommend Plant Safari and Robert (who I spoke with)for info on their plants.

They don't just have plants you can find anywhere. I will definitely order from them again.
Positive srduggins
Garden Grove, CA
May 23, 2005
Excellent packaging, good communication and very nice plants. Not all plants were available and it was difficult selecting substitutes, but overall I am very happy with this experience.
Positive Gerris2
Wilmington, DE (Zone 7a)
May 13, 2005
I bought Thunbergia gibsonii from Plant Safari, and WOW WOW WOW they sent this massive vine full of flowers; it arrived in the mail just yesterday and I can't wait to see it grow through the summer! Such a pure, intense orange color!! I highly recommend Plant Safari, I have bought many plants from them, mainly salvia species, and each one is a well established plant with a HUGE root system...can't praise that company enough.

Joseph
Positive Brugie
Chariton, IA (Zone 5b)
April 24, 2005
I received an order this week from Plant Safari and I was totally pleased with everything. I will definitely order from this place again.
Positive ahelms
Kannapolis, NC (Zone 7b)
April 24, 2005
I received the plants I ordered from them and they are beautiful. The vines were very pretty and healthy. I've already sent them a second order and should be receiving them soon. I highly recommend Plant Safari.
Positive leeleeann
Pass Christian, MS
April 21, 2005
Received the 1st part of my 1st order, and I'm pleased. Plants ranged from small to big, but all where healthy and packed nicely. Communication from the owner was good too. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.