The scoop on 'Sandusky Valley Nursery'

Sandusky Valley Nursery

7683 State Route 231
Nevada, Ohio 44849 (United States)

Phone: 419-927 9651

Comments:

Positive 1meanmama
Kalispell, MT
August 8, 2014
I ordered 5 black mulberry seedlings. They did arrive a week late, so I was worried. The instructions on their care were clear and thorough, and the trees were in fantastic shape, even after such a long trip. They have been in the ground for nearly 4 weeks, and are thriving. At this point, I am very happy. I will say that when I had some buyer's remorse about the variety and emailed the company, they did not reply. I was disappointed about this, but for the price, I will consider it an experiment. I will likely do business with this company again. I do wish their communication was better, but I really appreciated their handout. So I guess we are even!
Positive cratemaker
mississippi
December 2, 2013
I bought some willow starts from them. I got them and was happy with the starts, they were small with very good roots which is what I was after since they will grow better with better root systems. Overall I am happy with my plants.
Positive spoutingdoctor
November 18, 2013
I ordered some plants, shrubs and fruit plants for fall time planting. I needed them shipped later in the season and I got them in november as I wanted, as I was out of the country for a while. They came in good, moist roots ready to go into the ground. I am happy with my purchase. I will look at more stuff in the spring time.
Positive mlcmeade
Pittsburgh, PA
November 12, 2013
Ordered an english oak for fall planting time. Came last week and it looks good. Thx.
Negative Johnrobert
Winston-Salem, NC
October 23, 2013
I placed a very small order, thank goodness, for a columnar English Oak. Card was charged immediately. Never received confirmation, replies to emails, or the product. Plain old fraud. Never had this happen. Do not do business with this company.
Positive pirateradio
Waynesboro, PA
January 26, 2013
I've bought a number of trees, two different times over about the past three years: paw paws, serviceberries, black haws, buffalo berries, etc. Trees are doing very well; I've lost a few, but considering the difficult growing conditions on my property (a hollow that floods in the winter & dries to powder in the summer), SVN's success rate here has been good. Also, the seedlings are inexpensive and a lot of less-common natives are offered. I'm already planning my next order.
Positive greendoodles
zone 6a
January 15, 2013
I bought 3 persimon trees this past spring. At first I was worried that they were not leafing out in spring. I emailed them and they replied that this is normal for persimons since they are slow to leaf out sometimes About a week after that they started to leaf out and grew well the rest of the year. i am happy with the plants.
Negative hoodoodave52
Tombstone, AZ
October 6, 2012
First I have to say the 1st time I ordered from Sandusky I got the plants I ordered and was pleased but the second time i ordered I got an email from him saying that he was out of what I ordered ( Its been so long ago that I dont remember what they were) so I replied to send me chestnut trees instead and here it is 8 months later and have not recieved anything.
Positive dems_r_idiots
September 30, 2012
Posted on September 30, 2012, updated September 30, 2012
I purchased 5 dwarf cherries this past spring and they are all thriving. I now just hope we don't have a brutal winter here.
On September 30th, 2012, dems_r_idiots added the following:

Oh, I forgot..I also bought a gomi, and it is doing well too. I am pushing the hardiness zone a bit, but it is worth the risk.
Negative davon96720
Blacklick Estates, OH
September 30, 2012
I bought a large number of plants. The price and selection is very reasonable. The plants arrived in good shape but were taped and bundled tightly together and labeled with orange plastic tape. It was very hard attempting to open the bundles and not damage both the labeling tape and plants. Many "tape labels" were damaged in the process. Furthermore, whoever wrote the labels could not write legibly and the ink on the tape faded fast. I attempted to decode the labels not very successfully. Most of the plants did survive but are unidentified and the season is almost over, I though I could id them eventually; but, it is difficult attempting it over the internet.

I believe if I had only bought a few plants I would not have much problems. But, I have the survivors of 3 dozen, mostly unidentified plants.
Positive phil_dud
Meadville, PA
August 25, 2012
We purchased 2 goumi shrubs from them this past spring. They are both doing well. They have both shown good new growth. They look like they are going to do well here. I am happy with the purchase.

This was our first purchase from them.
Positive greenta12
Beverly Hills, CA
August 21, 2012
I bought 2 nankkin cherries from them this past spring on ebay, they are doing good. I have had to water them alot with the drought going on, but they are now 18 inches taller than when they came, now if i can be patient to wait for the cherries.
Negative bmann50
Norwood, OH
August 21, 2012
Don't buy from this guy.
I ordered 3 American Hazelnuts from him back in spring 2012 and he sent me 3 sticks with roots and now it's summer and they have leaves on them and they are not all hazelnuts .
He won't answer my emails.I have emailed him 2 or 3 times
Positive ilovetht
ROLLING PRAIRIE, IN
March 31, 2012
I Ordered some Buffalo Berry, from this company. Delivery was prompt, plants were what I expected. I had a question after delivery, and sent them an email. I got a prompt response. I would do business with them again.
Positive SRobin
Peoria, IL
June 2, 2011
I have ordered from this company twice. The first time was in 2008. My order was slow in coming, but arrived in early may. This year( 2011) I ordered later, and the order also arrived in early May.
All the plants are doing quite well except the one my husband broke when he tried to move it last year. I ordered another one this year. The plants came in wet newspaper, so I put them in a bucket of water for a few hours. I then planted and kept watered. They took off and the 5.00 plum I bought in 2008 is just as big as the 30.00 peach I bought the same year.
Great plants and no problems with this company. I just wish I had more room. Maybe I can buy some trees for my neighbor!
Negative JOYINTHERIDE
Cleveland, OH
April 18, 2010
Bought $40 worth of plants. Black pussy willow ,butterfly bush and honeysuckle vines.Took money off my card instantly. Does not respond to emails or phone calls still no plants. If anyone can tell me what I can do to have this guy taken off the web please reply to miltoneileen@yahoo.com. This place is a complete scam and rip off.
Negative tdekubber
Cedar Springs, MI
October 23, 2009
Purchased some seedlings on Aug 12, 2009 as of Oct 23, 2009, I have not yet received any items. The seller will not respond to any e-mails, or phone calls. There is no doubt I have been scamed..Please do not order from this nursery
Positive nohippiechick
Chuckey, TN
May 8, 2009
Placed an order for a variety of fruit trees. So far they are doing the best of all the tree's I've ordered (from various places) this season. Going to place another order today!
Positive Lmoonchild
Grove, OK
April 20, 2009
I ordered two Paw Paw trees and a rare lilac bush. My order came very quickly and was well packed for shipping. The trees and bush look wonderful and were planted as soon as I opened and got them ready. I am very happy with this company and have had wonderful communication.
Lee Ann
Positive CowboyJason
Lyles, TN
September 6, 2008
I am a Country singer in the Nashville, TN area who purchased some Nut trees from Sandusky Valley Nursery recently. Order was placed in July and my order arrived about 2 weeks later.

I now have myself some English Walnut trees which are shooting out fresh leaf buds. I am very happy with the service at Sandusky and will continue to order trees from them. With Pecan & Filbert trees on the the way it is sure to be a nutty life!.. lol

God Bless!!

Keepin' it Country,

Jason Rogers
Positive kagst29
Pittsburgh, PA (Zone 5b)
August 28, 2008
I bought 3 plants of ebay (Aronia, Fusion Quince, Lycopene Berry) on June 9th, 2008. They arrived June10, 2008. Plants have leafed out beautifully with no problems. They were 10" twigs, which I expected for the $3-$4 price tag. I will buy from them again!
Negative flyman007
Packwood, WA
September 11, 2007
I ordered plants from Sandusky on May 2, 2007, I have still not received any plants I have emailed them twice. The first time they claimed their suppliers hadn't sent them yet, this was in July. I then asked for a refund and they won't reply to my email. DON"T BUY from this outfit they are thieves!!!!
I am in the process of repoting them as a fraudulent website.
Negative seasonn
Tazewell, TN (Zone 6a)
September 3, 2007
On May 5 I sent a seventy dollar check--which was cashed-- to this company . I started on eBay where I won one item for, I think 3.95. His eBay page suggested I go to his webpage for more choices. I did and ordered approximately 66.00 more in plants. It is now September 3 and I have yet to receive my plants or have my money refunded. Also he has refused to answer emails. This constitutes the single worst business experience I have ever had. I have complained to BBB also.
Negative jenmicah
Bothell, WA
May 7, 2007
I ordered 2 elderberry bushes back in the 1st week of march, it is now may and i still haven't recieved them. I emailed the company in mid april and they said it should arrive soon and still they haven't! If I knew it was going to take this much work to get the plants I wouldn't have ordered them. It is past the time to plant shrubs in my zone now so when i do get them it will take more work to get them through the summer months. Very disappointed.
Negative maryalbr
Palmyra, PA
August 22, 2006
Did not send my order for 3 forsythia and 1 salix for 4 months.He would not answer the phone or e mails.i finally had to send a letter threatening to report him to 3 separate organizations who deal with business fraud,which this surely felt like.he received my letter on fri and I got my order on tuesday.No apology-No explanation-no touching base to let me know if there was a problem.PLUS he charged my order to my card before it got sent out which is the worst business practice.He gets no more business from me.
Positive gschlut
Waukesha, WI
August 1, 2006
I ordered a bunch of butternut trees and sumac from them. I was very happy with the order and will order form them again. All of the butternut came up and just 2 of the sumac didn't.
Negative Dougg
Saint Paul, MN
July 8, 2006
I ordered 2 spice bushs on June 21. As of this date I have no bushes and have never had any contact with John. I have emailed him several times threw his website and his email address with no response. I have a claim dispute ongoing now with pay pal. I'm glad to hear he has sent some plants, I thought he was a total fraud.
Neutral Yglo
Princeton, NJ
July 7, 2006
I ordered 2 Pawpaws, 3 goumis, 1 american elderberry, 3 aronias,1sweet shrub and 1 sweet mockorange in January 06.
I received all of them, but the paw paws, early April, perfect time for NJ. Small plants, but healthy and well packed. They all came to life almost immediatly and are growing well.
I was ready to give this company a positive rating regarding the price and the quality of their plants.
BUT, I have to change to neutral, the 2 paw paws due in back order for late April are still missing.
I sent 3 emails asking when I should expect them and telling them that if they don't have paw paw to send me 2 serviceberries instead, but never got a answer.
So, if you are ready to test your luck, it can be a good deal, but if you are use to get what you paid for,and receive a answer when you ask a question you may be disappointed.
Negative shwoniervr
Franklin, NC
June 22, 2006
I never received 3 plants ordered in March and promised for late April delivery. I sent John 4 e-mails, asking him to please substitute another plant if unable to get the ones I ordered and were still out of stock -- no response. Also, one of the plants never did come out of dormancy, and I asked John for advise on getting the plant to grow. Again, no response. If he is so busy, obviously he's making money, so let him get some help. That's no way to run a business!!
Negative marywallin
Hamburg, NY
June 19, 2006
I had difficulty communicating with John. He did not respond to emails, and did not send the shrubs I ordered when he said he would. It took a phone call on a Sunday morning before he sent a partial order. He said that the others were out of stock, and that he would refund my money through Paypal. However, six weeks later he had not done so, and did not respond to my email. Again, I needed to call him long distance (and pay for the call!) before he finally refunded my money.
The shrubs that I did receive arrived in good condition and were packed expertly.
Negative Love2Troll
(Zone 5b)
June 19, 2006
Could not get owner to respond to email regarding why hadn't received order. Contacted PayPal (thankfully, my method of payment) for step 1 where they contact seller for info. Still no response. Filed official claim with PayPal and still no response. Finally received order even though still no explanation.

Not the kind of business I want to deal with.

Positive anniemyth
Marysville, IN
April 26, 2006
I ordered 7 bushes and 6 nut trees from Sandusky Valley. I thought at just under $4 per plant, if any were bad or if the company were disreputable I wouldn't be out much. Just received my bundle through the postal service and all the plants were healthy and starting to leaf out. They were bundled securely and the roots were moist. Each plant was labeled with a hand written red tape marker.

They are all very small but I can't beat the price. I will be ordering from them again.

The only (I hesitate to say negative) thing I found was, I left a comment on the web site and didn't receive a reply. I chalk it up to being a busy season.
Positive raddog
De Soto, KS
October 20, 2005
I have purchased a large quantity of plants from John on several occasions now, and I've been extremely satisfied with every purchase I've made. As far as what I've bought, while I'll probably miss some things, what I do remember is a European Plum, Dwarf Apricot, 3 Date-Plum trees (Diospyros lotus), 2 Prinsepia Cherries, 2 Prinsepia fruiting cherry bushes, 5 Goumis, 1 Autumn Olive, 6 Magnolia Vines (Schisandra chinensis), 1 Dwarf Cherry (Prunus besseyi), 5 Serviceberries (Amelanchier laevis), 3 Aronias, and a Witchhazel.

John's not a blazingly fast shipper, but twice he's called me to follow up, and he always gets things delivered. I think some of the latency is due to his INCREDIBLE pricing which has to keep him busy filling orders: almost everything I've bought from him has been $3.95 or less! That's why, as you can see above, I've gone kind of crazy buying stuff (keep in mind I'm sure I've left off about a half-dozen or more items).

Everything has been shipped bare root, and the plants all appear to be one-year or less seedlings, all healthy and all doing well except for the dwarf Apricot which John said he'll replace in the spring if it doesn't turn around.

I don't think you can get grafted cultivars here -- Sandusky's is seed-grown saplings at a fabulous price.

I noticed the link to John's website is wrong. Try this if you want to take a peek at what he offers: http://www.svnursery.com/

You can also go on Ebay where his user ID is buckeye55 -- http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=bu...

Anyway, I've been very happy with everything I've received to date from Sandusky Valley.

- john ferguson, kansas city

Positive throneofyord
College Station, TX (Zone 8b)
January 18, 2005
The prices were very appealing so I went overboard and ordered 27 fruiting trees and bushes. Two weeks later I got a bundle of trees. I don't know if he is always this generous but the six extra trees I got were just the ones I wanted extras of. The plums, aronia and elderberries are still dormant, but the princepias, goumis and quince have been producing leaves. All of them are lovely. The plants have healty roots and nice buds. I definitly plan to order again from him next fall.