The scoop on 'HerbFresh.com'

HerbFresh.com

1812 Davis Dr
Fallbrook, California 92028 (United States)

We do not have a web address listed for this company.

Comments:

Negative rissole
Atlanta, GA
April 22, 2012
I ordered a collection of 6 herbs from this company. The names of all the herbs were listed in the item description, including "cilantro" and "chives." The description also mentioned that they might occasionally substitute one variety of herb for another (i.e., French thyme for German thyme, etc.), but never said anything about substituting a completely different type of herb for one of those listed.

After placing my order, I did not get an e-mail acknowledgment until 5 days later. And then this company did not ship out my order until 3 1/2 weeks later (even though they charged my credit card as soon as they acknowledged my order). Nowhere on the item description did it say that orders would not ship out until almost a month later. If it had, I probably would have never placed an order.

When the herbs arrived, they were a mess. Dirt was scattered everywhere in the box, along with the plant tags. The herbs were also a lot smaller than I had imagined. They were certainly not worth $26 (before shipping).

Many of the herbs didn't look very healthy either. The basil was nearly DOA, and died within a few days. The parsley didn't look very good either but hung on a little over a week--and then it died too. The thyme lasted a little longer, but within a couple of weeks, it was completely gone as well. I have never had herbs from another nursery die like that.

In addition, I was never sent any cilantro or chives at all, which were included in the description of the item. I e-mailed the owner to ask why. He said they weren't going to be ready for another month. So, he had apparently just decided to substitute 2 entirely different herbs instead, without bothering to ask me if this was acceptable. I replied that since nobody ever asked me if such a substitution was OK, I wanted him to send me the cilantro and chives when they were ready--otherwise, I would have to dispute the charge with my credit card company. He never even bothered to respond to my e-mail at all. His rudeness was pretty shocking.

I ended up disputing the entire charge with my credit card company, and I won my dispute. Please stay as far away from this company as you can. They are extremely dishonest and rude, and their plants--many of which are of poor quality--are overpriced as well.
Negative gaika
Palo Alto, CA
July 28, 2006
1. E-mails bounced - sent a week apart
2. No order acknowlegement
3. No Shipping list sent although several replacements made
4. 7 out of 11 plant tags loose in box & one missing entirely, no knowing what it should have been, due to an undetermined number of replacements.
5. One plant 3/4 dead, looks as if dying for several days.
Positive KarenChrisRS
San Diego, CA
October 12, 2005
My favorite Oregano, "Pizza," is from HerbFresh (via 'HerbanGarden' sublabel, local Home Depot.) It is so good for cooking, now I have to go visit their retail location-(my dog "helped" a transplanting effort-to deriment of my favorite Oregano!) It will be an hours drive and I expect the visit to be well worth my effort. I plan to pick up a few more of their full and well adapted herbs, too, while I'm at it. The herbfresh.com website could use directions, also hours of business for local San Diegan customers.
On October 27th, 2005, KarenChrisRS added the following:

HERBAN GARDEN, as a street location, is now closed (10/05, about 2 mo ago, land sold, I think). HerbFresh.com (online only) is very nice, be sure to check it out.

If you want a "real" location to go get wonderful herbs and scented Geraniums, the HerbFresh.com people (who were wonderful, I'd be happy to do email business with them) refered me to:

Pearson's Garden & Herb Farm
1150 Beverly
Vista CA 92083
(760) 726-0717

I went there on Monday (Oct. '05), and I got a wonderful collection of herbs, some of them more generally hard to find. I was impressed, and really enjoyed my trip! People were wonderful. Currently open 9-4p weekdays, directions I obtained via Mapquest were correct. Less than an hour from downtown San Diego, maybe 45min or so.

PS. If you go, be sure to check out their SunMar composting toilet at the back of the property. I was impressed with it, too, it was the first chance I'd had to see one actually in operation under routine use. Worked great.

OH-PPS: I found my "Pizza" basil under "Hot and Spicy" at Pearson's.
Positive KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA (Zone 10b)
February 25, 2005
Wonderful herb selection, plants grown outdoors, and are robust and handsome. Also purchased some leeks and a salvia discolor. For those in the San Diego area, the physical location is:

Herban Garden