The scoop on 'Companion Plants'

Companion Plants

Companion Plants has 99 products listed in PlantScout.

7247 N. Coolville Ridge Rd.
Athens, Ohio 45701-9432 (United States)

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive TCTerrariums
Port Orange, FL (Zone 9b)
July 24, 2014
I placed three separate orders for some hard to find plants in the past month and was very pleased with the service and the plants. Everything arrived in excellent condition. They shipped on Mondays and I received the plants here in Florida on Wednesday. They answer all emails promptly and even let me order a plant that was listed 'out of stock' on their website when I inquired about availability.
Positive hypocondro
houston
United States
June 7, 2014
I've ordered from companion plants twice and have not been disappointed. Each time they send me what i've ordered, on time, and in good condition. In my experience this is a good company, and I will continue to ordering plants from them.
Positive tkh
Macon, GA
March 1, 2014
Ever since I came to this country from my own sub-tropical environment, I had sought to grow a unique herb that has offered me medicinal properties at little or no cost. After a thirty year search, I found Coleus amboinicus, popularly known as Cuban Oregano, at Companion Plants, Inc.
Standing by for another deployment to the Middle-east, I had requested that it be sent ASAP across several USDA zones during a cold weather spell. They did just that and I am not only grateful but recommend them for your herbal needs as well. Since there had been suggestions that their plants might come infested, I inspected them carefully and found them free of any contamination whatsoever.
Positive RoseyQ
Crystal Lake, IL (Zone 5a)
May 16, 2013
Ordered several plants. 2 were damaged and Peter corrected the problem right away and sent out 2 new plants . Very quick response. All the plants were packaged very well and all are doing great.
Positive lemurianne
Ida Grove, IA (Zone 5a)
May 8, 2013
I have ordered from Companion Plants at least twice and been very happy each time. I recently received an order from them and just got around to transplanting some of the plants today -- the plants are in very small pots and quite cheap compared to other nurseries with a similar selection but they are healthy and ready to go in the ground. Their website is nothing fancy and the plants are just shipped in newspaper (and somewhat squished upon arrival, but not broken or truly damaged), but I have no complaints. Just a very solid nursery, I think. They have tons of hard-to-find herbs and such, including the lovely tri-color society garlic!! Great communication. Very easy, pleasant experience.
Positive FLAGPHARMER
Kachina Village, AZ
May 8, 2013
Ordered $300 in herbs and bareroot. Perfectly packaged healthy plants, all seem to be taking well. Will definitively order again, great communication
Positive hortusinurbe
Carbondale, IL
May 1, 2013
Exciting inventory of many hard-to-find plants. Have placed two orders - over 20 plants - this spring. Excellent, cheerful communication and fast response to questions. Plants have been thoughtfully and individually packed and quickly shipped with clear unpacking, acclimatization, and planting instructions. All look healthy with nice root structures. There was one pot of very teeny seedlings -- apparently, Peter did not have a larger Lobelia inflata plant available - so he sent it but did not charge me - wow. I will definitely be ordering again.
Positive mudder1
Nashville, MI
March 21, 2013
Great communication. FAST shipping! I ordered my Hops from them and each one was carefully wrapped, VERY HEALTHY and arrived exactly when I wanted them. The STEVIA plant was beautiful. I love the huge variety of common and RARE medicinal and culinary herbs they offer! One of the coolest sights I've run across. Being a beekeeper I was very impressed that they have a listings of plants loved by our pollinators. They made my seed hunting much easier by listing herbs as culinary, medicinal, ornamental, native, aromatic. GREAT layout! Rare to find a sight that offers so much and takes time to answer emails. Will continue to order from "Companion Plants" ~
Positive betsyr42
Townsend, DE
November 10, 2012
I found this company through Dave's Garden after an exhausting search for a supplier of a rare native. Communication and response was excellent and the plants arrived promptly and in great condition. I couldn't be happier.
Positive vitrsna
Colima
Mexico (Zone 11)
October 11, 2012
Posted on August 2, 2012, updated October 11, 2012
This is my first time ordering seeds from this company and my experience was very positive with quick ordering and speedy delivery. I can't yet comment about germination rates but i would order from them again. They have some unusual items to offer and i am happy to have discovered them.
On October 11th, 2012, vitrsna added the following:

I received a second order today...very quick turn around time. I love the excellent communication: An email acknowledging the purchase, an email confirming and verifying the purchase, and an email confirming the order shipment date. There are a lot of companies who should go to communication school at CompanionPlants. If they did, they could easily avoid a flood of emails from customers and save a lot of time and headache. The offerings from this company are interesting and unusual which makes for a fun visit. I have healthy plants growing from my first purchase so i would say the germination rates are good. Really hard for me to comment on this because usually when seeds do not readily germinate, it is not the fault of the seeds. I am a cronic over waterer, but am learning my lessons in this regard. The seeds arrived with general information about how to grow most herb seeds noting if seeds are sent that vary from the general information, they will be sent with specific information for that plant. I did go to the internet for detailed information about germinating and growing my specific plant and easily found what i needed to know. A good solid company that people can have confidence in and feel at ease about their orders.
Positive GOlch
Charlottesville, VA
June 1, 2012
Excellent company!! I purchased several plants from Companion Plants and I must say that communication was flawless, my order arrived very quickly, and everything was received in perfect condition.

Companion Plants has a great selection to include many plants that are very difficult to find. If you are interested in the usual and not so usual varieties...this is the place to go!

Will definitely do repeat business!!
Positive Old_Gardener
Calabasas, CA
May 13, 2012
Posted on April 5, 2012, updated May 13, 2012
I placed an order for iris/orris root, curcuma, thymus, both types of galangal, 5 types of mint, and a vanilla orchid on Thursday, March 29th. It shipped on Monday (as per the website) and I received my order yesterday, Wednesday, April 4. The packaging was great - each plant came individually wrapped, there was no breakage, and the soil was still damp and remained in the pots (absolutely no spillage). All of the plants look great, and all have healthy, full root structures. Also, Peter kept me updated throughout the ordering and shipping process. I definitely will re-order from CompanionPlants, again - they have great plants, a very interesting selection, very reasonable shipping rates, prompt delivery and quick, professional communications.
On May 13th, 2012, Old_Gardener added the following:

I placed another order (21 herbs) on 5/6 (Sunday). My order was shipped out promptly the following day and arrived well-packed and in great condition on Friday. As before, Peter kept me updated as to the status of my order. I highly recommend Companion Plants for herbs.
Positive Ispahan
Chicago, IL (Zone 6a)
April 20, 2012
Plants were healthy and reasonably priced, and communication was excellent. They have a wonderful selection of plants including many items that are nearly impossible to find elsewhere.

My only criticism is that although the plants are very well packed, they still use packing peanuts. These are a hassle to deal with and to dispose of and are not all that great for the environment.
Positive gregr18
Bridgewater, MA (Zone 6b)
April 5, 2012
I've ordered twice so far and the plants have been very nice and well packed. Also, the shipping was very quick.
Positive dirthound
Cohocton, NY
March 29, 2012
Ordered seed and bareroot plants. Replies are quick, shipping fast, bareroot plants exceptional, seeds have excellent germination. Will order from again.
Positive gsteinbe
Trenton, NJ
November 18, 2011
Posted on September 27, 2010, updated November 18, 2011
Posted on September 26, 2010, updated September 27, 2010
Companion Plants has *great* prices and great variety. I got my order, and most of it looked very good, but one plant (a Vietnamese Coriander) looked a little sad -- spindly, brown on the leaves. I didn't immediately complain, but now (a couple weeks later), it's got whiteflies. I'm reasonably sure that the whiteflies aren't mine. So, I've contacted Companion Plants about it. I'll give them a "Neutral" for now, but if the plant survives, or if it dies and they treat me right, I'll definitely change my rating to a "Positive."
On September 27th, 2010, gsteinbe changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I got a very quick email back from Companion Plants, and they're going to replace the plant with whiteflies (even though it may survive). I appreciate their willingness to do so, so I'm changing my rating to "Positive." One thing, however, that I forgot in my original posting: I had included two New Jersey Tea plants in my order, but Companion Plants said that they don't ship New Jersey Tea plants until spring, so they canceled my order for those two plants. I was a little surprised that they would just cancel those plants rather than back-order them and send them in spring. Now when I order the plants again this spring, I'll have to pay shipping and handling all over for a new order. I ordered from Companion Plants in the first place because I could get lots of the plants I was looking for all in one order (and not have to pay multiple shipping charges on multiple orders). On the other hand, I suppose that Companion Plants may have thought that they were doing me a favor (by not keeping my money all winter until they could ship the plants).
On November 18th, 2011, gsteinbe added the following:

The Vietnamese Coriander has proven to be a pain in the neck. It just seems to get whatever pest that happens by or has some sort of problem all the time. And it doesn't taste like coriander at all. I'm disappointed in it, but that's not necessarily the fault of Companion Plants.
Positive Allwild
North, TX
April 1, 2011
I am very pleased with my order from these folks. They are one of the few places I found offering both Mexican oregano and French tarragon.

First of all, the customer service is the best I have ever encountered. I accidently transposed my mailing address when ordering and after sending an email, I was promptly contacted. Paul, I think, was very accomodating and advised when my order would be shipped.

Well, my plants arrived the other day and I will be planting them in the garden soon. they look great. I would recommend this Co. and gladly order from them again!

Positive begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA (Zone 9a)
October 28, 2010
I was pleasantly surprised to receive such large, healthy plants. Especially since one was a harder to find variety that I had many years ago and had lost. I'm very happy to have it back in my collection again!

Well packed plants were shipped fast with great communication from the company as to when they were mailed out.

Positive lookkami
Wailuku, HI
August 17, 2010
Yes… Mexican Oregano can be purchased at Companionplants.com. After weeks of searching for a source to buy this elusive herb to plant in my garden, I was rewarded by finding Peter Borchard & company at Companionplants. These folks put the Pro in professional with their emphasis on good old fashioned service to the customer, a quality so often lost in ecommerce today.

My emails and phone calls were answered immediately and my questions were fully resolved with courtesy and humor before I placed my order. When my plants arrived 48 hours later, they were packed with care and were healthier and more robust than those in my local nurseries.

In addition, there is no minimum purchase and the plants are guaranteed to arrive safe and well… a point well taken after a comparison to their competitors.

So yes… it’s true. I am recommending them to anyone, anytime, anywhere.

Eat well and be well,

Ken
Positive Mae3812
Rescue, CA
May 18, 2010
I ordered 10 plants from this company, mostly thymus varieties and patcholi, lavender, Helleborus, and bronze fennel. A odd variety perhaps. They all came looking like they would have little trouble surviving and they all did fine. Some thymes and the lavender were slow but at this point every plant is healthy and looking great. The patchouli began blooming in a week or two and the fennel is growing so fast it is scary. I would deal with them again.
Positive weke
Mililani, HI
May 5, 2010
The plants came today to Hawaii were packed and in great condition. Peter e-mailed me on progress. Will order again.
Negative ThomasAGT
April 27, 2010
DO NOT PURCHASE PLANTS FROM THIS COMPANY! I purchased some chrysanthemum plants from them a few months ago as I was just beginning to start my vegetable seeds indoors. Stupidly, I placed their plants along side mine on my indoor seed starting shelves. A few weeks later, all of my artichokes, peppers, ground cherries, strawberries and tomatoes were infested with aphids and gnats! I've had to throw away all of my beautiful artichoke seedlings. And at the moment, I'm still battling these pests and trying to save the rest of my plants. How do know these plants were the source of my misery? - because I fail to see how these pests could have ended up in my basement in the dead of February any other way.

Because of their negligence, this company has cost me a great deal of time, money and aggravation. Purchase their plants at your own risk!
Positive hlebear
Yukon, OK
February 9, 2010
I had a pretty good experience. I ordered seeds only and received it in a timely manner. The only downside was that one item was unavailable though I ordered it online. I was refunded the cost.
Positive evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA (Zone 8a)
December 12, 2009
I highly recommend this nursery as I have ordered from them many times with good success. If any of you don't have a good experience from them, I think that they will be more than happy to correct any problems. Peter is most helpful and what I really like about this mail order house is the drought-tolerant hardy plants that are so hard to find at other nurseries, both by plant and seed, which are both very reasonable in price, considering this economy today. It is a very good investment to buy plants and seeds that grow so well, as I have had nothing but good experiences with a knowledgeable plantsman here. Thanks so much for having such a fine business.
Positive alchemy_1300
Pittsburgh, PA (Zone 6a)
May 7, 2009
Just received my order it was packed very well! no damage to the plant and the dirt still in the container when i need to order other types of herbs I would order from them again.
On June 30th, 2009, alchemy_1300 added the following:

An update both the Belladonna plants are doing real good a thumbs up to them!
On June 30th, 2009, alchemy_1300 added the following:

An update both the Belladonna plants are doing real good a thumbs up to them!
Positive wabum
Reydon, OK
April 20, 2009
Extemely happy with this nursery, all plants arrived healthy and packaged wonderfully. Very fast on shipment and will continue to do business with them. Again, extremely satisfied
Positive Celene
Columbus, OH
April 19, 2009
I drive from Columbus at least two times a year to shop here...I always get wonderful plants and herbs I can't find elsewhere! The owners are knowledgeable about the stock, and very nice.
Negative mudpiegirl
Los Lunas, NM
April 19, 2009
I ordered 4 mexican oregano (Lippia graveolens) plants from this company. I have been looking for a source for Mexican oregano for months and ended up having to pick between this company and another that would have charged me 17 dollars for shipping 2 plants. So I went with Companion Plants. When the plants arrived they were chlorotic, spindly, infested with whiteflies AND aphids, and overwatered (algae or moss was actually growing on the top soil layer--not a good environment for mexican oregano!) I should have thrown them out, and demanded my money back, but I have been desperate for Mexican oregano so I decided to try to save them. When I repotted them I found that all of them had either been recently transplanted into 4" containers from 2" containers, or maybe not so recently-- they were all so rootbound within the 2" previous container area it wouldn't have mattered how long they had been in a larger container. Except for one of the 3, which had been so overwatered that the roots had rotted. I threw that one out.
Currently I am hoping for the best, trying to coax these plants into health. I would not recommend this company.
Positive rosethyme
Denton, TX (Zone 7b)
April 8, 2009
I am so happy and pleased! Just got my first order from Companion Plants. Perfect, healthy plants, wrapped carefully...not a leaf out of place. And Peter was so kind and helpful with advice and suggestions. I just wish I could go right back on the website this very minute and start ordering more! They have organic medicinal herbs...something I'm recently beginning to study. It's fascinating how these plants are so beneficial to us.

Try Companion Plants...you will love them.

Karen
Positive toomanypotatoes
Perry, MI
April 4, 2009
I ordered 10 different plants and some seeds. Everything was sent as promised and arrived looking good.
Positive mistari
La Fayette, NY
September 4, 2008
Companion Plants is a great store. I have nothing but good things to say about it. My order took only 2 days to reach me after they shipped it on the following Monday. The plant was very healthy and adjusted perfectly. This is the only site I was able to find live centella asiatica from after ordering fake centella from Neem Tree Farms. I would recommend this site for anyone looking for rare medicinal plants! I will definately be a returning customer.
Positive gaddict
North Brunswick, NJ
August 9, 2008
In the spring I ordered plants and seeds. They are the only place I could find seeds for Unicorn Plant. All the plants came in looking great, are now large, healthy and blooming, even the perennials I ordered. All the seeds germinated and have grown to be beautiful plants. I definitely recommend them.
Positive donicaben
Ogdensburg, NY
July 27, 2008
I orderred a plant for my sister. It got there quickly and she said it was a lovely sage. Thank you for not ripping me off like the last small nursery I orderred from ! :-)
Positive Inglage
La Crosse, WI (Zone 5a)
July 1, 2008
I ordered two Sweet Bay Tree plants, a chocolate mint plant and a Pineapple Sage plant from Companion plants and was quite impressed. The plants were securely packed, bounced back very quickly, had well established root systems and are taking off in their pots as we speak. The company was timely in getting their plants shipped and I will order from them again. I really enjoyed the "Thank you" scribbled on the the invoice. It made me smile.
Positive artemiss
Toledo, OH (Zone 5b)
May 14, 2008
I was VERY impressed with the selection of hard-to-find plants offered by this vendor...and the prices were reasonable for everything.
The plant size was better than many others I have received via mail this year, and everything looks fantastic.
I will definitely purchase from them again.
Positive Kate_C
Woburn, MA
May 9, 2008
I received my hops yesterday. One was in a small pot, the other in a 4" pot. Both plants look healthy and robust. I would order from these folks again. They have a great selection of difficult-to-find herbs and plants, the customer service is above-and-beyond the call of duty and the plants are healthy.

I look forward to my home-grown home-brew this fall!
Positive Hemhostaholic
Scranton, PA (Zone 5b)
March 20, 2008
I am/was a first time customer of Companion Plants. The particular plant that I was looking for is/was the Bed of Nails Plant (Solanum quitonense-Naranjilla). This was the only vendor that I could find that actually sold this plant, and wasn't selling just seeds of this plant.
I ordered on 3/13, and received the order today, 3/19. The plants were packaged with extreme care. There was no loose dirt within the shipping box. The plants look amazingly healthy, and I can not believe the root system on both of these plants...truly amazing!
If anyone on there is looking for some unusual annuals, perennials, herbs, etc, I would highly recommend Companion Plants!
I will be a repeat customer!
Positive doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA (Zone 7b)
January 5, 2008
I ordered Milk Weed seed for a Butterfly garden. The service was quick, packaging the highest quality. And prices were a lot less compared to several other sites I looked at. I'm very satisfied and will order from these folks again.
Positive FL_Ginger
Saint Petersburg, FL (Zone 9b)
September 10, 2007
Good customer service. I hope to order again from this company.
Negative agricolarum
San Francisco, CA
September 4, 2007
I received plant materials of a quality which I deem unacceptable. Basically, I was sent a number of very spindly seedlings, two of which were nearly undiscernible, puny and mashed into the soil as they were, rather than the healthy, robust plants which I had expected to receive and have read about in other postings about this site. I contacted the vendor at once to advise him of my refusal of acceptance, after taking photos of the seedlings in their shipping box. He said that he understood why I had had the reaction I had but felt that they would do well in time. He also said he would credit the charges back on my card. While I appreciated the prompt and fair response to my complaint, i.e. no charge for unacceptable merchandise, I do not think providing grossly inferior merchandise is acceptable. And, if you yourself are aware that a customer might object to the plant quality provided, why send it in the first place? Or at least give fair warning and an opportunity to pass. So I would have to say: deserves F for plant quality, A for responsiveness to customer complaint. If I had wanted seedlings, I'd have ordered seeds, at a greatly reduced price!