The scoop on 'Monticello Garden Shop: Twinleaf Catalog'

Monticello Garden Shop: Twinleaf Catalog

Charlottesville, Virginia 22902 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Visit Monticello Garden Shop: Twinleaf Catalog at:

This company offers a variety of seeds.

Comments:

Neutral gsteinbe
Trenton, NJ
May 17, 2014
Posted on June 6, 2013, updated May 17, 2014
Posted on May 12, 2013, updated June 6, 2013
I ordered Formosa Lily seeds, a Sourwood Tree, and a Rosemary. The seeds and Sourwood seem fine. The Rosemary, however, was tossed around in the box and is pretty much certain to die. It's damaged and wilted and showing no promise of life. It's also incredibly small, considering that Monticello charged $8 for it. I realize that part of the price is meant as a donation to Monticello, but surely $8 should get me more than a barely inch-high plant.

I've contacted Monticello to complain about the Rosemary and ask for a replacement. I'll post again after they respond.
On June 6th, 2013, gsteinbe added the following:

Initially, I received an email saying that a replacement Rosemary would be sent the following Tuesday. When I never received anything I emailed today to ask about it. It turns out that it was never sent, and of course now they're sold out of Rosemary plants. I'm leaving my rating as neutral, but I'm not really very happy. They're supposed to refund my money, but I'd really have preferred to have a live Rosemary plant and to have had decent customer service.
On May 17th, 2014, gsteinbe added the following:

The Sourwood Tree died within months of purchase. It just shriveled up and died as soon as temperatures got above 90. I suspect that it didn't have much in terms of roots, so high temperatures just undid it.

All in all, I was *not* impressed with my purchases from Monticello. The Formosa Lily seeds have done well, but all the plants sucked. Big time.
Negative Gratitudeheals
Springville, UT
May 11, 2013
I am really disappointed with Monticello.org. I ordered in February a Caracalla bean. It said on the website they didn't ship until May 1st. I hadn't received any information about the plant being shipped, so I contacted them. They said that UPS lost the plant and they didn't have any more. They suggested to order early next year and ask for April shipping???? The website said it didn't ship until May. They will refund my money, but I don't have the plant and could have got it from Burpee. I would suggest any plant company having extra of any plants just in case something happens. In the past I had good experiences with them, but sadly not this year. BUMMER. I think you may have lost a customer. We all make mistakes, but this could have been prevented.
Positive RUBYS
Wrens, GA
April 12, 2011
I am so surprised that this company has so few reviews and none in recent years. I received part of my order last week and everything was great. These are full size plants that they offer in quart size containers. I would highly recommend their website to anyone looking for historical plants or shrubs for their home.
Positive Windy
Belleville , IL (Zone 6b)
April 13, 2005
I love to look at the site and its on-line catalog. I have ordered seeds from them in the past and decided to try some roses.
I ordered Feb. 10 th. this year with shipping to begin in April. I had forgotten all about them until I found the order form in my files.
So today, April 13 th. a good time in my area to plant them out, they arrived.
They were neatly packaged so as not to be bumped and bruised on the ride in.
I am very happy with their full leafed appearance and one even has a bud about to open on it.
I would order from them again as I love the "old fashion" and heirloom types of plants and seeds they offer.
Positive JustJen
Dansville, NY (Zone 6a)
April 23, 2004
I ordered a Vigna Caracalla vine from Monticello on 4/5. The website clearly stated that shipping would start on 4/19. I received mine on 4/22. Awesome!!. The vine arrived in great shape.
I also made the mistake of ordering seeds, thinking they were bulbs. I emailed customer service and they adjusted my order for me.
I highly recommend this company.
MsJen
Negative changspa1
April 22, 2004
While I have liked some of the plants I've received in the past, I am disappointed with the roses I ordered. They are tiny rooted cuttings, and the prices are similar to those one pays to other companies for 2-3 year-old plants. I wish that the catalogue had made this clear.
Positive bigaxon
August 8, 2003
I am fortunate to live 1 mile from Monticello and enjoy visiting their garden center several times each season. Always an interesting selection with friendly folks. My only complaint (which only effects local buyers like myself) is that not everything in Twinleaf is available at the nursery. So that, though I live so close, I had to mail order Vigna caracalla this spring and pay tax AND $7 shipping. On the plus side, the plants were large, professionally packaged, and the two vines have exploded all over my trellis. Highly recommended!
Positive mystic
Ewing, KY (Zone 6a)
April 5, 2003
I love the catalog so full of history of the plants.The packing is nice and you get your order quick. A nice amount of seeds and I am having good germination. The money goes to help preserve apart of our history so I feel its for a good cause.
Positive dianthusman
Pecos, NM (Zone 5b)
December 3, 2002
A great catalogue, your money is going to a great cause (preserving Thomas Jefferson's historic farmsite at Monticello), and the unusual plants are always healthy.
Positive planman38104
Memphis, TN (Zone 7a)
December 9, 2001
Ordered for the first time this year and order was quick and professional. Unusual items are available and responsive to email. Inquired about shipping date of my order and within 24 got answer.
Positive Anonymous
February 1, 1998
I have been a customer of the center for many years. Twinleaf and its catalog are full of wonderful information. They give the reader a delightful romp through old-fashioned gardening. Seed packaging is so nice you want to keep them. The people are eager to help.