The scoop on 'Wild Garden Seed (Shoulder to Shoulder Farm)'

Wild Garden Seed (Shoulder to Shoulder Farm)

Philomath, Oregon 97370 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Comments:

Positive gardensoiree
San Diego, CA
February 10, 2014
Posted on January 27, 2014, updated February 10, 2014
I have sought out seed producers who are hands on and are taking seed production and preservation to the next level (and generation).

I've planted Frank Morton's seeds in the past and they are wonderful but this year was my first direct order with Wild Garden Seed (WGS).

Order confirmation arrived via email immediately, the order shipped 7 days later (with email shipping update), and order information is available online if you set up an account.

The seeds were packed neatly in a padded envelope as well as a protective plastic bag. Opening the package was terrifically beautiful with two packets side-by-side with others behind them and the invoice in back. It is evident that the WGS folks really care about what they are doing and I really appreciated it! Which explains the $6 shipping and handling charge. I ordered 6 packets to making each packet $4 each (with shipping) which I think is a great price for the quantity of seeds in each packet.

I expect high germination rates and great color and flavor as well.

On February 10th, 2014, gardensoiree added the following:

As expected, the Wild Garden Seeds are simply wonderful! Seems like 100% germination and nice strong seedlings. I am very pleased and highly recommend these folks!

On another note: I received the 2014 catalog today and it was nice to browse and read about the Farm. The paper catalog makes it super easy to read about all the varieties which requires lots of clicking on the website.
Positive violetavale
Los Angeles, CA
June 1, 2011
A great supplier to order from!

I ordered a packet each of the golden purslane and tall green purslane and received the seeds within the week. Since then I have planted all of both and so far I've grown two+ baskets of gorgeous sprouts. I am going back for more.

See here for fotos of the purslane growing in the baskets:
[HYPERLINK@www.facebook.com]
Positive ChiTown
Chicago, IL (Zone 5a)
March 27, 2010
Very pleasant people to deal with, good source of many open pollinated greens, interesting catalog, quick service. I'm coming back to them again next year.
Positive zone3isabummer
Duluth, MN
January 17, 2009
Wild Garden Seeds make some pretty high claims about the quality of their lettuce varieties. In my experience their lettuces easily exceed these expectations. Flavor, appearance, germination and yields have been outstanding for the several I've grown. Flashy butter oak is my favorite. The shipping price is a bit steep, but otherwise I can't find anything about this company that isn't exceptional.
Positive seagardener
Southport, ME
December 13, 2007
This company is the source to some amazing salad greens and vegetables. Frank Morton is apparently a pioneer in preserving and innovating seed strains of rare edible plants. The Fedco seed catalog references his work throughout their catalog. He also to my knowledge has single handedly rescued 'MacGregor's Favorite' lance leaved beet from extinction. His 'Redventure' celery is stunning.
Positive tomstearns
Wolcott, VT
November 23, 2007
I think that the work of Frank and the entire Morton Family is a great gift to all of us who love diversity on our farms and in our gardens. Anyone who hasn't tried seeds from this company is missing out on many great surprises.
Positive cowgardener
Southport, ME
September 26, 2005
What a delightful company to do business with. We found some really unusual organic varieties of vegetables & flowers from this company namely Broccoli 'Purple Peacock' & Kale 'Lacinato Rainbow' and a Quinoa. They even threw in a free sample of Calendula 'Flashback' which was quite unusual & beautiful. If you're into ornamental edibles or establishing a potager, this catalog is a great resource . Their customer service & e-mail communication are excellent.
Young Taj Morton will be one to watch in the future of American organic horticulture.
On January 17th, 2006, cowgardener added the following:

Just to clarify, it is Frank Morton who is the much lauded organic plant breeder; Taj his son is the website developer.