Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

The scoop on 'New Hampshire Hostas'

New Hampshire Hostas

Green Star: Good New Hampshire Hostas is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

73 Exeter Rd
South Hampton, New Hampshire 03827 (United States)

Phone: 603-879-0085

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive baufuller
Mount Carroll, IL
September 9, 2016
This, my first time order from this company, arrived promptly and was nicely packaged. I have close to 300 hosta plants and I have acquired from many sources over the years. I prefer plants in pots even though I have had excellent luck with some bare-rooted stock, which is why I chose this company for this particular plant. This little dwarf 'holy mouse ears' is a very nice size for a 3" pot and ready to go into the new commemorative glade I started this year. Am anxious to see how it weathers the northern Illinois [zone 4B] winter, which will be the ultimate test of their stock's vigor; but having read the reviews, I am expecting good things!
Positive bobboc
Charleston, IL
September 2, 2016
PJ and crew are the absolute BEST! They are helpful, responsive and deliver the best hosta! Their prices are fair and the quality is exceptional (in all the years I have used them, only a single hosta didn't thrive, and they quickly sent me a replacement).

Platinum level of service can products!

Positive Sheldon1
Winston Salem, NC
August 28, 2016
On my initial order, I ordered starter plugs. The order was processed, shipped, and arrived within two days from Connecticut to North Carolina. The starter plugs (35mm) were packed and wrapped meticulously. They were still very moist. These plugs are every bit 3". The plants arrived healthy, well packaged, and very vibrant. I usually place starter plugs in containers for a while. I reside in zone 7b and since these plugs were so robust, I decided to place them in the Hosta bed along side their "cousins." The rest is up to me to grow breathtaking Hostas. This was my first order with this company and these are professionals who know what they are doing. I received these plants at a fair price and the quality is impressive. I have finally found my "go to" company for my Hosta fetish!
Positive SgringGreen
August 19, 2016
Posted on August 9, 2016, updated August 19, 2016
Posted on August 8, 2016, updated August 9, 2016
To begin with I intended to make a positive review because I placed my first order with New Hampshire two weeks ago. I ordered 2 Extra large 2 gallon size Liberty Hosta and received beautiful plants. They were just as NH Hosta described they would be; In good condition I was so happy that I immediately placed a second order that same day. The second order was for 2 Brother Stefan extra large 2 gallon. Within 30 minutes after placing the order I noticed the sight had added another Variety to the available list of 2 gallon size... Ivory Coast and Night before Christmas. I wanted to add to my existing order so I tried to add 2 of \\\'Ivory Coast\\\' but was unable so I created a separate order
Within minutes after placing the second order that variety was removed from the available list. I assumed I had just bought them out. The next morning I called by phone to ask them to combine the two orders and they did. He said he would refund the extra shipping since the order was combined to one. Instead I asked him to just send a \\\"June\\\" 4 inch Hosta instead because it was just under the cost of the shipping he would refund. My decision to order \\\'June\\\' was based on the video on his sight advertising the size of a 4\\\" potted \\\'June\\\'.

Combining the two orders should have qualified me for the bonus Hosta because my order exceeded $150 dollars. Also I should have received a 5% discount as a returning customer which I also qualified for yet it wasn\\\'t added. They were in a huge rush because Fed Ex had already been called since this was the morning they were shipping. If they could have at leased warned me there was a problem with stock...

It took a week for the order to arrive because the distance was so great. I couldn\\\'t hardly wait to receive my Hosta and when they came I opened the box and started crying. Both \\\'Ivory Coast\\\" had leaves that were brown, yellow dis colored, and what looked like black moldy spots. Also one of the \\\'Ivory Coast\\\' had one division not two or more as was advertised. Brother Stefan had an odd white mold growing on many of the leaves. To make matters worse the 4 1/2 inch potted June That I ordered was not included. However a small June plug was shipped instead. (One size smaller than what I paid for.). The 2 gallon size \\\"Night before Christmas was also not the right size. I was sent a plant that had been pulled out of a Much smaller pot. I know the difference because the other plants had dangling roots where the soil from the 2 gallon pot had been shaken off. The \\\'Night before Christmas\\\' had no loose soil or dangling roots. It was in the tight compact exact shape of the pot side and bottom. We all know how a plants roots look when we pull a plant directly out of a pot. The roots and soil are undos turned in the exact shape and of the pot it came out of. I tested the tightly compacted roots and soil by setting it into one of my old saved almost a gallon pot from a local nursery. . A perfect exact fit. (You know... the pots nurseries call a gallon size but are really just barely two quart size. Well that was the fit of the Undisturbed roots.

That\\\'s when I knew for sure someone had just pulled a smaller size plant than what I ordered because no soil had been shaken off. You could still see the pot drain hole indentures on the soil and roots. I assume it was done because the 2 gallon extra large size must have been sold out. (Whoever packed it must have thought I wouldn\\\'t notice if they wrapped it in a bag like the others.) No soil was shaken off because the plant was small enough it didn\\\'t need it. This order must have rushed through so fast they didn\\\'t have time to let me know there was a problem with stock.

I was so embarrassed that I didn\\\'t want my friends and family to see what I paid so much for.... and got moldy plants and plants one size smaller than I paid for. I actually had tears streaming down my face as I put the Hosta in the ground in my garden. It just took the wind right out of my sails.

I am a member of the international forums of Garden.Org. This summer was my first summer buying Hosta. I was a complete Newbie and I had started a thread called \\\"Hosta Newbie beginning my journey\\\". On this thread I was posting everything I was doing and experiencing so other Newbies could follow any successes and failures I had and learn from it.

So in tears I posted the pictures of the Hosta I received from NH Hosta and was very embarrassed at what I paid top dollar for. Anyone can go to that sight and see the pictures on my thread. Another sympathetic member advised me to post here if I didn\\\'t get a response to my email. I think they are busy and have not read it yet.

I don\\\'t know what to do. The sight says to send the Hosta back if I am not satisfied and they will refund me for the plants but then I\\\'m still out the cost of shipping everything back and forth. I can just be stiffed financially and have some sick looking plants and some that are no where near what they advertised or what I ordered.... or I can have nothing at all and still be out.

I just wanted them to send me some pretty plants with the discounts and bonuses I was entitled to and of course the size of plants I paid for.

I just wanted some pretty Hosta for my garden and I thought surely NH Hosta could provide that.
On August 9th, 2016, SgringGreen changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

NH Hosta contacted me. He was very kind. He apologized for the condition the plants arrived in. The shipping company took over a week to deliver in the heat and caused the plants to mold and deteriorate. He said he will ship me replacement plants with a more rapid shipping service. He has offered to refund me half of the expense for the inconvenience as well as sending me the bonus plant. It feels like everything will be ok. I didn\'t feel like crying after he called me. The replacement plants will ship next Monday.
On August 19th, 2016, SgringGreen changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Today some beautiful replacement plants arrived. They were fresh and arrived in just 4 days all the way across the country. Also, I was discounted and my bonus Hosta Blue Angel was included and absolutely lovely.

I am happy and I will order from NH Hosta again!!
Positive MCFE
Huntington, NY
August 6, 2016
I've received two deliveries of hostas from NH Hostas in the past few years. Both contained plants of really good size, in robust health and were extremely carefully packed and in excellent condition. Delivery was overnight, literally, I think, or second day.

I've never lost a plant from my first order, and the hostas have grown admirably in the few years I've had them.

Great growers and business folks to deal with.
Positive peartr
Watertown, MA
August 5, 2016
I ordered 5 hostas a few days ago and today they all arrived in great shape. They are beautiful. I am happy to have found such an excellent place to buy hostas !
Positive 1_Acre_Garden
Parkman, OH
May 24, 2016
I have placed an order with New Hampshire Hostas for the past two years, and I'm very happy with the entire experience. I like buying plants in pots. My hostas arrived in excellent condition, and I'm very pleased with the way they pack the plants in the shipping box. The hostas I bought last year are doing very well, and I'm sure that the ones that I planted this year will thrive as well.

I read one negative comment here about a giant hosta not growing as quickly as the person expected it to. I can tell you from experience that the giant hostas in general mature more slowly than most of the smaller hostas do. Also, there are differences in vigor between the different hosta varieties. Some hosta varieties are just better plants than others.
Positive greenheart107
Newton, MA
May 24, 2016
I ordered nine ferns from NH Hosta on a Saturday at the height of May gardening season and a box of wonderful plants arrived on Tuesday to my home in Massachusetts. What more could one ask for? Moreover, the quart-size plants were the perfect size for the pot. NOT pot bound and ready to take off in the garden.
Thank you, New Hampshire Hosta.
Positive MarianneME
Falmouth, ME
May 24, 2016
My order was for a half dozen mini hostas. They were well-packed and arrived in great shape.
Positive BvrCtyGardener
Monaca, PA
May 20, 2016
New Hampshire Hostas are the best. I order only starters, but every one of them from New Hampshire has had hardy root stock so I've never lost one. This year, my "Skylight" is pushing several leaves, my six "Rainbows End" which took a bad hit with a late frost have REALLY bounced back, and my newest treats for this year: "Eternal Flame" and another "Rainbows End" (because I like it THAT much) are happily settling into their new homes.

I'm happy, and I'll keep coming back until I run out of space.
THANKS, NH!!

Negative PennPlanter
Pittsburgh, PA
May 14, 2016
Bought two Hostas in 2012, paid premium to get larger rootstock plants. Plants arrived OK, but growth has been very slow. After 4 years plants are 17" tall but nowhere near the 40" x 70" full plant description.
When I contacted NHHostas they responded requesting a photo of the plants. I sent them one to which they replied that plants look ok, they don't mature until 5 years and that I had inappropriately planted on a slope near a tree where its dry.
These plants are watered regularly, are mulched and the Homedepot hostas 3 feet from them are twice the size.
Not pleased with the reply from NHHostas and I suspect the Hostas they sent aren't the Giant species I paid for. Plants are healthy, just small.
Positive jtilley
Marietta, OH
May 2, 2016
Very nice plants. My mail order source last spring sent plants that would fit in a thimble. The plants received from NH were good sized ready to plant & compete & thrive.

Prices were very nice for varieties not readily available in this area.
Positive kanron
Topeka, KS
April 23, 2016
First time order and am very pleased. I ordered some large hostas and root balls came moist and well packaged. I got them into my shade garden right away and am looking forward to the results. Quick shipping and a pleasure to do business with NH Hostas.
Positive wraytram
Ponchatoula, LA
April 22, 2016
My first time order...very impressed with selection and super fast delivery...

Was amazed at the packaging care and condition of the plants when they arrived...

They sent an extremely detailed set of instructions on the care and maintenance of hostas as well as their light (sunshine) requirements according to leaf color...

Highly recommended...
Positive hlh555
Durham, NC
April 8, 2016
Posted on September 11, 2015, updated April 8, 2016
I live in NC and I ordered two hostas on Wednesday and they were waiting for me Friday mid day! I couldn\'t believe how fast they arrived. The two hostas are a very good size and were extremely well packed. I am very impressed with this company and I won\'t hesitate to oder from them again.
On April 8th, 2016, hlh555 added the following:

This is my second order from NH Hostas and again I am very pleased with the plants I received. The three were well packed, and each plant was very healthy with at least 3 leaves. I recommend this company for their extensive selection of hostas of all sizes from miniatures to extra large.
Positive mphgreens
Williamsburg, VA
April 5, 2016
I recently purchased the Hosta of the year collection from NH Hostas. The order was shipped as requested and the plants were received in great condition. All 22 plants in the order were potted and covered with wet newspaper and rubber bands to hold the soil in place.

I planted the hostas the next day and now three days later they look terrific. NH Hostas delivered healthy plants and took great care to ensure they shipped safely. They were easy to work with and accommodating to my requests. I would recommend NH Hostas to anyone looking to buy plants online.
Positive Shaken
Scottdale, PA
October 15, 2015
This was my first foray into ordering a plant online. I regraded a side of my house and now have a very nice shade garden to fill. New Hampshire Hostas had a Cherry Tart Hosta that my wife wanted so I ordered. We received it in a couple days, very well packaged. The plant looks very healthy and we couldn't be happier.
Positive DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH (Zone 5b)
September 30, 2015
I ordered two hostas from NHH earlier this month and requested a specific date for shipping. I was impressed by the way my request was followed exactly, and both plants arrived in excellent condition. Their selection is excellent, prices are good and shipping method was excellent as well. What's not to like?!!
Positive lkfriedman
Washington D.C.,
United States
August 7, 2015
Posted on July 17, 2013, updated August 7, 2015
I recently ordered half a dozen heuchera and hellebores plugs from NH Hostas. At the time I placed my order, we were having relatively mild summer weather in the northeast. Shortly thereafter, however, we got hit by a heat wave.

I worried whether these plants would survive 2-3 days of shipping in hot trucks, but I shouldn\'t have. NH Hostas had packed them so well that they arrived in great shape, notwithstanding 95-degree outdoor temperatures.

And the plants look terrific -- extraordinarily healthy with vigorous root systems. I\'ve put them in pots so I can nurse them through the rest of the summer, but I\'m very confident they\'ll do well when I put them in the garden in the fall.

I should add that NH Hostas sent along a couple of nice extras that I don\'t always get from mail order nurseries: (1) plastic plant markers (I usually have to make my own) and (2) detailed cultivation instructions.

Will I order from them again? You bet!

(Many thanks to the very professional folks at NH Hostas. You really couldn\'t have done a better job!)
On August 7th, 2015, lkfriedman added the following:

Update 8/7/15. I just received another order of plants from NH Hostas, including hostas (4.5-inch pots), hellebores (starter plugs), a fern (4.5-inch pot), and Chinese wild ginger (starter plug). As with my previous order, the order arrived lickety-split (the order was placed on Wednesday, shipped out the same day, and delivered on Friday), and all the plants looked great and were packed beautifully.

(Another grateful attagirl/attaboy to NH Hostas' excellent staff! And thanks so much for the complimentary Vulcan hosta you included with my order.)
Negative vitz
July 28, 2015
placed an order by PHONE, explained i didn't want any account info created or stored on their site. sure enough, next day i'm informed, via email, that they created an account for me, since THEY decided it was 'convenient' for ME to do so. i'm more than capable of deciding what i consider to be a convenience, and what i consider to be a violation of my privacy. what's w/ the arrogance and presumption w/ all of these internet biz clowns? what ever happened to BASIC CUSTOMER RESPECT? next time they may want to actually listen to what their (prospective) customers actually tell them!! all of these places need to worry more about how they do business w/ the people actually paying them and putting food on their table, instead of the biz they do w/ their metrics/data collecting goblins. issue was resolved by me canceling the order, and dropping them as a potential source, for anything. no further action or response by the company is required. anyone concerned about privacy shouldn't be dealing w/ these folks. even by phone. if they had honored my simple request, they'd have gotten A LOT more orders from me.
Positive Catmint2
Auburn, NY
July 12, 2015
Just received my order from NH Hostas. All of the plants arrived in excellent condition. Great packaging, speedy delivery, and very healthy plants. would definitely recommend this company.
Positive Vickyc63
Washington, IL
June 24, 2015
I recently ordered Hostas from this company and was thrilled with the exceptional service I received from the beginning of the order to the end. I received a confirmation from them right away and the hostas were shipped in less than a week. The plants arrived in perfect condition and I was very impressed with the quality of the plants. I will definitely order from this company again and again!!
Positive JeffR47
Rockville, MD
June 23, 2015
Posted on May 19, 2015, updated June 23, 2015
Outstanding! Really fast shipping, great selection, good prices, and really healthy plants. After receiving my first order from them, I placed a second order and was not disappointed. I would order from them again without the slightest hesitation.
On June 23rd, 2015, JeffR47 added the following:

In three separate orders from NH Hostas, my experience continues to be very positive. The hostas look great.

Minor issue - their website could be more friendly. Especially late season, it would be nice to be able to filter out items that are out of stock, for example.
Positive Poquott
East Setauket, NY
June 21, 2015
The hostas I ordered arrived quickly. They were packed very well, using good materials. The plants are healthy and were well watered so they could have survived another couple of days of shipping. They are a good value compared to what is available in local nurseries.
The web site experience could be better, especially on a mobile device. Items out of stock are clearly labelled which is great, but it took a lot of scrolling through an extensive inventory to find what I needed. I love to be able to sort/ filter by size and color, and it would be great to have the option to filter out unavailable options.
Overall great product and service, and I expect to be back for more.
Neutral pbgardens
Anoka, MN
June 19, 2015
I am definitely odd person out in my review of this company, but I am left wondering what all the fuss is about. They have a good reputation here, and in the hosta community at large, so I was expecting good things, but overall was left unimpressed.

I ordered $200 worth of hostas (about 13 or so) on 5/11. They acknowledged the order right away, and I had it in hand at the end of that week. That IS impressive, and is the fastest order to door time I have found. If you have to have it now, this is your p lace.

The plants themselves were OK, but just that. The plants were shipped potted, which again is great -- no re-hydration needed, and they can go right in the ground, which they did. Size was just average though; single eyes, something I would consider just an advanced starter, or slightly more. I have received less from other companies, but also have received much more. They were healthy, and that's important, but of average size and above average cost.

For negatives, I start with their website. It is horrible. First, if you want to page through it, you only have three points in the alphabet to enter. You must do a LOT of paging or guess-jumping. I hate that. Second, about 2/3 of items were out of stock. Thanks for letting me know what I can't have, and making me page through it all to see what I can. Put these items in a "sorry you missed it" or "not for sale" section. We can then see what you carry without the burden of all the paging. I understand you want to show us your vast inventory, but it isn't so vast if you don''t have it. Third, at least for me, it would not save my cart across sessions. I had to rebuild my cart several times before I checked out, finally resorting to saving things in a "wish list," but this adds extra clicks. In short, the site is a lot of work to wade through, among the worst of sites I have ordered from. It in itself is a barrier to me ordering again from them. Another negative was that their extensive packaging, although necessary for the potted plants, creates a lot of waste for me to dispose of. I shred it for the compose pile, but there is a lot of it.

I would order from them again, but it would not be my first choice. There are just better value propositions out there with plants just as good.
Positive lovehostas
Sykesville, MD
June 17, 2015
New Hampshire Hostas was my first experience at ordering hostas online. Their website is easy to use, and they have a very large inventory to choose from when buying hostas. The hostas were shipped very quickly, and the packaging was incredible. All of my hostas arrived in perfect condition with nary one leaf damaged! The plants are extremely healthy and vigorous. Will be placing future orders with them whenever I need more hostas for my shady gardens.
Positive TN_Hosta_Guy
Jackson, TN
May 31, 2015
New Hampshire Hostas is one of the best. I just ordered from them this week and had a great experience. The shipping was fast and the plants were securely packaged. The quality of the plants is unparalleled. Selection is great as well, as you can find plants here that aren't offered elsewhere. I would not hesitate to order from them again.
Positive ellenfoster
Hinesburg, VT
May 21, 2015
Buying plants from NH hostas was a wonderful experience. The web sight is easy to negotiate and I could select by a large number of criteria easily, slug resistance, sun tolerance, several specific color choices, and size, to name a few. The descriptions of each variety was very complete, listing the above for each plant and having the size pop up whenever I clicked for more details. They have an enormous selection so I could pick exactly what I wanted. My plants arrived 2 days after I ordered with very inexpensive shipping. At first I was unsure about ordering from them, because most of their plants are shipped as 4" pots and I wanted bigger plants. The plants are actually as big as a 2 gallon plant from my very good local nursery, but not pot bound. I've never received such healthy plants by mail order before. I only regret that I didn't find this company before I ran out of room for more hostas.
Positive thaneva
Mission, TX
May 6, 2015
I live in deep South Texas where the heat of summer can be awesome. I could not find anyone in the valley that carried hostas; therefore, I contacted NH Hostas to see if it was possible to grow hostas in my area; they encouraged me and recommended some plants for me to try.

The plants they sent me arrived in great shape, and I began my journey with these wonderful plants. I have ordered 11 plants and 10 have survived me. When I have questions, NH Hostas reply with helpful hints and encouragement almost immediately which amazes me since I am such a small time customer. I don't know if there are any other growers of hostas in my area, but I know that I would encourage others to try; hostas have become my friends and New Hampshire Hostas has helped me cultivate that friendship.

When one thinks of the geographic distance between the supplier and the grower in this case, it becomes obvious that the supplier is someone special. Thank you!
Positive bonsaiguydw
Mendenhall, PA
April 24, 2015
Beautiful, healthy plants! Nice varieties. Some plugs were full out plants. Packaging great for hostas. Plan newspaper, easy to open and dispose of! Won't buy Hostas elsewhere!
Positive Cheryl8
Monroe Township, NJ (Zone 7a)
April 17, 2015
Posted on April 16, 2014, updated April 17, 2015
I just received my order from NHH, 7 Hostas and 3 Heuchera. All the plants were packed perfectly, not one leaf damaged. They are all big and very healthy. Just beautiful.
Thank you NHH, you will see me again and again. I highly recommend this company, you will NOT be disappointed.
On April 17th, 2015, Cheryl8 added the following:

Received another order from NHH, 9 Hostas and a bonus Hosta 'Victory'. As always they were packed exceptionally well and every Hosta is just perfect. My order arrived in 2 days. Communication is answered promptly. Very courteous people to do business with. Thank you NHH. Again I say, I highly recommend this company.
Positive pgrtennis
Lawrenceville, GA
April 10, 2015
I ordered two giant hosta from New Hampshire Hostas and they were to me within a few days. They look healthy and are just sprouting from their soil. The packing was perfect and they were still moist. My mom (constant yard of the month winner) has been ordering hosta from New Hampshire Hosta for years and now I know why.
Positive Petuniarabbit
Scottsdale, AZ
April 8, 2015
I made a second order this February after ordering five hostas last fall. On arrival, the plants were smaller than the first set. I'll chalk that up to winter ordering. I'm happy with how fast they have leafed out. Except one which rotted in the soil. Maybe I overwatered it. Surprisingly the five I ordered in fall are springing back up. I though they were dead.
In all, I'm very pleased with the quality of plants I have received from NH hostas. Hostas in Arizona have a tough row to hoe. My hostas are lovely!
Positive PracticalAg
Raleigh, NC (Zone 8a)
January 9, 2015
I like everything about this company. They're fast with shipping, knowledgeable about their product, have an enormous selection at great prices, and are willing to spend the time on the phone with someone new to hostas. I purchased three hostas, two "guacamole" and one "biggie". The plants look great, and I talked to them on the phone regarding the ins and outs of cultivar selection in marginal zones. Excellent website, excellent service, and I can't wait to see how the hostas will look in the spring. 10/10; will purchase from NHH again.
Positive watchdogal
East Hartford, CT
September 20, 2014
Placed my very first order with NH-hostas this past week after seeing the beautiful hostas my daughter had ordered the week before. I only ordered 3 plants and they were shipped very fast and packaged great in pots. Very well protected and all the soil was intact and the plants were of high quality with great root systems...Would definitely order from again...There wesite has a lot of information about hostas and nice videos and fantastic pictures....you can spend lots of time on their home page. This is a top notch company...
Positive sullivan11
Concord, MA
August 14, 2014
A few years ago I ordered my Hostapedia Book from NH Hostas. I had decided this year to give mail order a try. I was not disappointed. The plants were here in no time and packaged beautifully. All healthy, well marked and ready to plant. I will probably take a ride up to NH soon and visit!
Positive rehaber67
Waukegan, IL
August 8, 2014
Not only were the hostas that I ordered in perfect condition upon their arrival here in Illinois, but they were packaged fantastically. The plants were hearty and healthy. This was the first time I have ordered from this company, but it certainly will not be the last. I just love a company that can not only fulfill an order accurately, but they send fantastic merchandise!
Positive TrailPony
(Zone 5b)
July 4, 2014
Posted on July 4, 2014, updated July 4, 2014
I am very impressed with New Hampshire Hostas. I ordered a bunch of hostas from them this spring and the quality of their plants and the packaging was excellent.

I ordered seventeen plants and the shipping was only fourteen dollars. They arrived in a big heavy box, and each plant had been carefully mulched around the top of the pot with newspaper held down with rubber bands to hold the soil in place. They were neatly packed in layers with a ton of paper cushioning to keep them safe. They were all so healthy you'd think they hadn't just been shipped; not a single plant was fazed. They had tons of healthy roots and one variety bloomed the same week I put them in the ground.

One of the varieties I ordered turned out to be out of stock. They sent me an email asking what I would like them to do but I didn't get back to them, so they shipped my order with a substitute. Instead of 'longissima' they sent me 'longissima 'Manzo,'' the only difference being that this one had white stripes. Then I went to their website and saw the price. I had payed $8 a piece for the 'longissima,' but the 'longissima 'Manzo'' they sent was priced at $15 each on their website! There were five of those plants -and for each of them they sent a substitute of almost twice the value! You can see why I'm so impressed!

The plants were smaller and more expensive than the ones sold at the grocery store, but then the ones at the grocery store aren't named varieties. I imagine that once these plants are grown I'll be happy that I spent a little extra money to start with good stock.
On July 4th, 2014, TrailPony added the following:

I forgot to mention that they sent a free extra hosta with my order, it's very nice too.

Here's a photo of my order just after being unpacked, and one of the roots.

Positive Moskowib
Bethesda, MD
June 3, 2014
I ordered 32 plants from New Hampshire host -- three kinds of host and a variety of other plants to complement them. This is the only place I have found that has such a great variety of plants sold as small plugs. I have a very large area to plant and cannot afford to pay the high prices charged locally for large plants, so I was grateful to find the N.H. site. The plants arrived very quickly, in excellent condition, and with clear instructions for keeping them healthy.
Positive BostonJudy
Sherborn, MA
May 31, 2014
I was very impressed with the number of hostas this outfit offers. Their prices were reasonable, some of the special sale items were very appealing. My order arrived promptly via FedEx. The plants were carefully packed, the foliage in fine shape and the root stock was impressive. I would order more now but I have to make a hardwear cloth basket for every new plant due to an invasion of voles ( which is why I need to replace so many plants ).

Copyright © 2000-2016 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.