The scoop on 'Andy's Orchids'

Andy's Orchids

734 Ocean View Avenue
Encinitas, California 92024 (United States)

Phone: 1-888-514-2639
Fax: 1-888-632-8991

Comments:

Positive DaveH
San Francisco, CA (Zone 10a)
December 9, 2013
Posted on September 29, 2011, updated December 9, 2013
Although I always buy plants from Andy's directly at orchid shows in San Francisco rather than through the mail, I can say that they have by far the best selection of unusual species and mounted orchids I have ever found. Their website is great too - you can use their Search feature to find species which exactly meet your cultural conditions. Their plants are always good sized, healthy, and reasonably priced.
On December 9th, 2013, DaveH added the following:

I just received another order by mail, rather than directly at a show. The plants arrived next day FedEx, packed very well, and in good condition. Andy' has a great selection of species orchids for collectors.
Positive trospero
Corvallis, OR
January 4, 2013
I bought my first order from Andy's Orchids last week, and the experience was excellent. They acknowledged the order quickly, and the plants were shipped on the very next business day, arriving at my home in 24 hours! The plants themselves (five plants of the genus Dracula) are exceptionally healthy and larger than I expected for the price.

I will certainly return for future purchases. Five stars!
Positive Toddott
Kentwood, MI (Zone 5b)
April 14, 2012
This is the second time I've ordered from Andy's Orchids. Very nice plants both times. I ordered 7 orchids and an Ant Plant this time. All are mature and healthy and most sprouted new growths and/or flower spikes within a couple weeks of receiving them (which took less than a week from the time I ordered them). Very good customer service. I had some questions and emailed them, and within a couple days, Andy himself called me on the phone to answer my questions. It would be really nice if Andy's could come to the Orchid Shows in Grand Rapids and Lansing.
Positive ted5310
Brea, CA (Zone 10b)
February 11, 2012
Outstanding. I have over a dozen plants from Andy. Bought four yesterday at the Westminster show. I say Andy instead of Andy's because I feel like Andy is a personal friend. Whenever I see him at a show he always has time to chat. He will take the time to explain anything you want to know about orchids. He has a customer service philosophy that is tops. He believes a satisfied customer is a returning customer. He's spot on. And he delivers what he says whether you are buying on line or at a show. I have done both.
Positive TheHam
Bellingham, WA
February 27, 2011
Me and my partner just met Andy at the NW Flower and Garden show in Seattle. We purchased two orchids from Andy, both of which we had never seen before. Andy was informative and helpful and we look forward to doing business with him in the future.
Positive mphsgardener
Memphis, TN (Zone 8a)
March 23, 2010
Plants were received within a week of ordering. All plants were healthy, of stated size, and pest-free. I would definately order from Andy's Orchids in the future.
Positive balberth
(Zone 9a)
May 3, 2009
I've ordered from Andy's many times and spoken with the owners when I've seen them at orchid shows. They grow some very uncommon plants uncommonly well.

Every order I've placed was promptly shipped and exceedingly well packed. Though some of the plants are naturally quite small ( one of the things they specialize in is miniatures ), I've always felt that the size of the plants I've received from Andy's was good - most of the plants were blooming size, and definitely as specified in their catalog.

I'm sure I'll be ordering from Andy's Orchids again soon.
Positive calowell
Hooksett, NH
February 12, 2009
I have purchased orchids from Andy's multiple times. I live on the east coast and sometimes the weather isn't optimum for shipping tropical plants. I have been absolutely delighted with the care with which the plants are packaged and shipped. The quality of the plants is always top notch. I can't say enough good about Andy's! I even received follow-up calls to ensure the plants arrived in good health. I will always do business with this company and would encourage anyone to try them.
Positive Diddopony
Camano, WA
December 21, 2007
Andy's Orchids is my favorite online orchid source. He has so much to choose from. I have also called and e-maild him for species that are not listed on the site and he usually has them. The cite has tons of info! The plants arrive healthy and perfect! They even call later and check on the plants and offer advice if you need it! I hope someday I can visit Andys orchids in person. I would be in heaven! Thanks Andy and his staff! I recomend looking for your next orchid at Andys!
Positive Lorli2
Cooperstown, NY
May 15, 2007
I have ordered from Andy's Orchids several times and each time have been more than satisfied with the condition and size of the plants. They always arrive promptly, well packaged and are always bigger and healthier than I expect! Andy and Harry are very helpful with advice about selection of plants and care. I look forward to ordering again and only wish I lived nearby and could go to their greenhouses in person.
Positive noctuequus
Elkridge, MD
April 29, 2007
I recently bought a rare orchid from Andy's and I couldn't be more pleased with the plant. At the time, he didn't have it listed on his website, but I contacted him directly and he had one plant he could sell me. When it arrived, I was pleasantly surprised with the plant; it was healthy, and had two spikes. The plant was packaged well, it arrived in wonderful shape and it has since bloomed, and it is now growing. Andy even followed up with an email. I couldn't be more happier or pleased. I would strongly recommend this company to anyone, and will continue doing business!
Positive correctthought
Flushing, NY
April 23, 2007
As always, I'm always pleased when I get my orders from Andy's Orchids.
Positive toddottgardener
Grand Rapids, MI
March 30, 2007
wow! the biggest and most healthy orchids i've ever gotten from mail order with excellent packing and quick shipping. easy to use website with all the necessary information.
Positive mcsnail
Chicago, IL
October 25, 2006
The best Website for orchids I've seen--with plants indexed according to light and temperature requirements, size, fragrence, and other characteristics. I was able to order plants exactly suited to the conditions in my apartment. The plants were beautiful when they arrived, and all have continued to florish and flower.
Positive carol_okc
Choctaw, OK
July 31, 2006
I have relied upon Andy for those special hard-to-find species for 15 years or more! In all that time, I have never been dissatisfied or disappointed. Their plants are beautifully grown, meticulously packaged, and promptly shipped. Andy is one of the very few vendors I trust to the extent that I'll say 'what do you need to send me now?'... but then, after all this time, they do know my likes!
Positive chipsterdoodle
Citrus Heights, CA
February 8, 2006
Wow! Wow! Wow! Purchasing from this company has been outstanding! The whole experience was wonderful. I ordered online on 2/3/06 and today 2/8/06 I have in my possession a healthy, beautifully mounted Dendrobium amethystoglossum with 7 separate spikes/clusters getting ready to bloom. The packaging was meticulous. I can't say enought good things. And from what the rest of you have written, I bet I'll be getting a phone call too!
I will be purchasing from they again, and again.
Positive drdon
Temecula, CA (Zone 8b)
January 6, 2006
Andy's is one of those places that makes orchid collecting easy. I've ordered via the internet and been to his nursery here in southern CA. Andy himself took Pam and I on a two hour tour of his facility as if we were the only people he knew. A truly marvelous businessman with an incredible stock of healthy plants.
Positive Alfie7
Blairsville, PA
January 1, 2006
While placing my order several months ago, the company representative asked questions about my growing conditions and then provided suggestions & warnings as I ordered 5 plants.

The prices were very reasonable. The plants arrived in excellent condition. After 2 months, the representative phoned to inquire about the plants.

The plants continue to thrive and one (so far) has bloomed. I will order again and enthusiastically recommend this company to others!
Positive fisx
Wilson, WY
November 24, 2005
Excellent selection of species orchids. Fantastic healthy plants, especialy the log branch mounted orchids. Try their advanced search engine on their home page. Fast shipping, bomb proof packaging, and great customer service. One of the finest, most reiable orchid growers you will find anywhere.
Positive LynnCanGrowIt
Shenandoah Valley, VA (Zone 6b)
November 17, 2005
VERY, VERY SATISFIED with every orchid from Andy's. I am a repeat customer (website ordering) and cannot describe just how healthy and well-tended Andy's orchids are. The company has very good customer service, too, and packs with the very best attention to detail. Their website is easy to navigate and even offers culture information for the orchids you are considering. The orchids on slabs or "on a stick" are mounted very well.
Positive Susan26
Ace, TX
August 17, 2005
My experience was excellent with Andy's. The plant was in excellent condition and packed so that the spikes were not harmed by shipping. I was contacted afterwards to make sure that everything was acceptable. I'll order from them again.
Positive hi990
Northridge, CA
May 15, 2005
I recently ordered some orchids from Andy's. The plants were superb. Nice size and very healthy. Plants arrived within a week, they were well packed. About a week later
someone from Andy's called and asked whether the orchids arrived safely and whether they were doing well. What a pleasant follow through. This vendor has the lost art of excellent "customer service"