The scoop on 'New England Seed Company (NE Seed)'

New England Seed Company (NE Seed)

3580 Main Street
Hartford, Connecticut 06120 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-783-7891

This company is affiliated with 1 company:This company offers a variety of seeds.

Company Comment, posted on March 22, 2003:
Check out our Pink Pumpkin!

Porcelain Doll F1 Pink Pumpkin

Porcelain Doll is an Exotic Pink Pumpkin perfect for fund raising October activities. This Pink Pumpkin is very eye-catching for all Holiday decorations. Porcelain Dollís deep-orange, sweet flesh can be used for Pies, soup, and gourmet culinary delights. Full vine plant habit. Wait for the stem to get corky before harvesting for maximum pink potential.

Fruit: 20-24 lbs. Color/Shape: Deep ribbing with an almost square appearance. Exotic Pink exterior and deep-orange, sweet flesh. Maturity: 100 days with prolific plant cover. Tolerances: Good Powdery Mildew tolerance.

Comments:

Positive dmac085
Greensboro, NC (Zone 7a)
December 16, 2012
Very pleased with ease of ordering and order fulfillment. I'm placing another order for some clearance celosia seeds that I am unable to find anywhere else. I hate that they are becoming impossible to find and that leads to varieties disappearing forever, but I am very happy to have the opportunity to purchase them from a company that is so easy to do business with.
Positive taufgardner
American Fork, UT
March 27, 2012
Posted on March 8, 2012, updated March 27, 2012
Posted on January 26, 2011, updated March 8, 2012
I tried this supplier for a specific variety of artichoke. My order arrived promptly, the price was good, the quantity of seed generous, the packing (unique "ziploc") was great and the order arrived in terrific condition. I'll update when the seeds germinate, but I am very optimistic and plan to use the company more in the future.
On March 8th, 2012, taufgardner changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

Sorry for this late update. Germination was deplorable. I have grown artichokes for years and they are tricky, but this experience was beyond poor. Only one seed germinated. I planted three artichoke varieties from three different companies in the same starting tray, so under the exact same conditions. The other two companies' seeds did very well, including some older seeds from one of them.

This artichoke will have to be extremely good for me to consider ordering these seeds from that company again.
On March 27th, 2012, taufgardner changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I received an email from this company's customer service department offering to send replacement seeds. They did this promptly and I had a good experience. Stuff happens and I hate to base a whole rating on one limited isolated experience as I had described in my March 8th posting. I had tried NE Seed because they carried a unique variety and it was the only thing I ordered from them. I will try them again because their selection is somewhat different than the garden variety (pardon the pun) suppliers. Because they stand by their product (and they did so without me contacting them and asking for it), and my experience with the replacement was good, I feel much better about the company and its products.
Positive rulien
Fruitland, ID
March 20, 2009
Fast shipment of some hard to find hybrid vegetable seed. I'll order again next year...
Positive goofybulb
El Paso, TX (Zone 8a)
March 15, 2009
Placed an online order with NE Seed, for a variety of squash I could not find elsewhere (of course I added another seed pack of peppers to the order). Quick order confirmation, fast shipping, and the seeds look great! Since then, I actually started 4 squash seed (I'm a small scale gardener), and they all germinated (that's 100%)!
The shipping is a bit expensive if you order just a pack or two, but next time I'll be prepared with a longer list! If one orders over $100 worth of seeds, shipping is free.
They have a variety of seeds not to be found elsewhere, and I'll be back for them. A great place to shop for veggie seeds.
Positive obbirds
Olive Branch, MS
August 25, 2008
Ordered the first time from them last week and service was great.
Negative FranklinFlowers
Franklin, MA
August 19, 2008
My first and only online ordering experience with NE Seed is the worst online buying experience that I've had. I ordered a soil tester to maximize production of my backyard garden. The description did not state that I would have to purchase two types of "calibration solutions" in order to accurately program the meter. The manufacturer of the tester does not sell direct to the public. You must go to one of their distributors to order the solutions. The lowest cost I found was $26/per solution. So, the $41 meter actually cost $93+shipping. When I called to return the meter, I had to wait for a callback so that they could figure out how to handle the return. When I received a callback, I was told that I had to send it to the manufacturer, not back to NE Seed. The manufacturer charged a $10.25 restocking fee. Shipping cost me $14.00. The credit was posted to my credit card only after having to call NE Seed to bring it to their attention. The net is that I spent $24 plus my time and fuel to get nothing in return. Like many, I buy hundreds of dollars of merchandise online each year. Based on this experience, I cannot recommend NE Seed.
Positive couleurvanille
Rockport, MA
April 24, 2008
My first time ordering with them went awesome. Really fast, great service. And no problem with any of the seeds. Will order from them again.
Positive Farmerdill
Augusta, GA (Zone 8a)
January 8, 2008
I ordered from this company, because they had cultivars I could not get elsewhere. Prices are very reasonable, excellent amount of seeds, and service was excellent. Definitely on my list of preferred companies for next year.
Positive Turtlegaby
Decatur, AL (Zone 8a)
January 27, 2007
New England Seed is one, if not the best company, I have dealt with. Their customer service is outstanding and prompt and my last order arrived 1 day after they charged my CC. It doesn't go any faster. I've ordered from them twice now and I can recommend this company to everybody. They don't even charge any postage on bulk orders, and always include a cataloge in their package. If you are a reseller, they really have great deals and a huge selection of seeds.
Neutral Fosson
Grand Blanc, MI
April 8, 2005
Ordered Wednesday night...paid extra $ for 2 day delivery. Seeds never arrived till the following Monday. Our order never had a catalog in the envelope as the other customer stated. We have yet to see the seeds come up..will have to post again as to the quality and robustness of plants at a later date.
Positive PERRYLAWRENCE
SARANAC, NY (Zone 4a)
February 9, 2005
Ordered on line Sunday 2/7/05 - Received my seeds Wednesday 2/9/05 - What service!!!! These people personify customer service - I will recommend them to every gardener I know - They enclosed a copy of their catalog with my order and I am impressed by the selection it contains; I will be doing business with this company again - No doubt about that !!!