The scoop on 'Old House Gardens - Heirloom Bulbs'

Old House Gardens - Heirloom Bulbs

Old House Gardens - Heirloom Bulbs has 299 products listed in PlantScout.

Green Star: Good Old House Gardens - Heirloom Bulbs is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

536 Third St.
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48103-4957 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: $2

» Like them on Facebook

This company offers a variety of bulbs.

Company Comment, posted on November 29, 2004:
Fellow Gardeners,

We'd love to serve you! Since 1993 we've been America's only mail-order source devoted entirely to heirloom bulbs, many of them available nowhere else.

Our easy, gorgeous, fragrant, wildflowery, and unusual bulbs grow at historic sites from Williamsburg to Alcatraz and in backyard gardens from Maine to Texas to California. Among our treasures you'll find medieval daffodils, colonial tulips, Victorian iris and peonies, cottage-garden dahlias, rare hyacinths, and many other time-tested classics. We pride ourselves on the outstanding quality of our bulbs and our very friendly service.

Please visit our website and subscribe to our free email newsletter to enrich your garden, touch the past, and help us Save the Bulbs!

Scott Kunst, Owner and Head Gardener, Old House Gardens - Heirloom Bulbs

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive HopMan
Cleveland Heights, OH
June 2, 2014
I Just had to write a note with how impressed I have been with my dealings with OHG. I ordered a bunch of tulips, daffodils and a peony that were planted last fall. The bulbs all came up and prefromed beautifully. I am new to growing peonies. I had begun to worry that the super cold artic blasts we recieved in Northeast Ohio this winter had done in my Mrs. FDR peony so I sent OHG an e-mail requesting some further information about what I should be expecting. I got a wonderful respones suggesting it might be another week or so till it breaks the ground but that they would check back in and see if she had appeared and if not they would refund with 10% credit per thier policy. However, I hadn't even asked for a refund and I was impressed with how importatnt it was to them that I was happy. I got a follow up e-mail two weeks later, mind you I forgot to update them to let them know that the day after my e-mail Mrs. FDR had appeared and is settling in wonderfully. Thanks OHG for being such a great resource!.
Positive plover12
Grand Marais, MI
May 12, 2014
I just received my gorgeous "Blue Rhythm" iris and it is a top-quality plant! I was delighted to receive not one, but THREE fans, which will help it establish much more quickly. Old House Gardens has, hands down, the best service I've ever received from a mail-order garden company. Great products (I've never had a bad one!) and wonderful service. Too bad all garden mail order companies can't be run like this.
Positive earthwindandsky
Whispering Pines, NC
May 12, 2014
I love the bulbs I got from this company and am preparing to place my third order. The narcissus I planted last fall are some of the best narcissus I've ever had - gorgeous, mature size, and bloomed for weeks. I appreciate this company's commitment to high quality, heirloom bulbs and their excellent customer service. They really do seem to care about their customers and included a personal note with the packaging. They even called me to let me know that I had inadvertently ordered some bulbs outside my plant hardiness zone and asked if I wanted to substitute something else. Thank you Old House Gardens!
Positive nevadagdn
Sparks, NV (Zone 7a)
May 6, 2014
Posted on October 10, 2013, updated May 6, 2014
Posted on October 10, 2013, updated October 10, 2013
Posted on April 13, 2013, updated October 10, 2013
Posted on November 6, 2003, updated April 13, 2013
My bulbs were shipped promptly, and are in good condition. There was a nice personal note from Scott Kunst on my order. Unfortunately for my budget, I'll be a return customer! I love the selection, and am willing to pay a bit extra for heart-rendingly gorgeous tulips, daffodils and other bulbs from previous centuries.
On November 10th, 2003, nevadagdn added the following:

I didn't even make it to the next season before another sale jumped out of the Old House Gardens website and raided my budget! Again, the bulbs are lovely, and Scott included 15 Crocus tommasinianus, my very favorite of all the Crocus species, free of charge.
On March 22nd, 2004, nevadagdn added the following:

Everything is either up and budded, blooming, or already done blooming. Gorgeous bulbs, gorgeous varieties. Did I mention how much I love C. tommasinianus?
On October 13th, 2004, nevadagdn added the following:

Everything from last year did so well that I was able to harvest offsets or even blooming-size bulbs from what I planted. Encouraged by my success, I placed an embarassingly large order which has arrived in wonderful condition, and there were plenty of extras. There was a nice personal note with my order, too.

The prices are not low, but OHG carries things you just can't find anywhere else, like tulips from the 17th-19th centuries, daffodils and hyacinths from the 19th century and other beauties. I'd say the prices are justified considering the gorgeous flowers I've grown from their bulbs.

I'd say the only reason this company is not in the top 20 is because of their narrow specialty (same can be said of Odyssey Bulbs). It certainly should be in the top 20!
On November 5th, 2004, nevadagdn added the following:

The lilies I ordered this year are the fattest, heaviest bulbs I have received from any source, mail-order or brick-and-mortar retail. (I hadn't ordered *lilies* from OHG before--just daffs, tulips, hyacinths and crocus).
On April 4th, 2005, nevadagdn added the following:

I HIGHLY recommend the Hyacinth rarities sampler. Sure, it's between $5.00 and $6.00 a bulb, but what colors! Oranjeboven (sp?) is a wonderful orange-sherbet color, Lord Balfour is an unusual (and attractive) mauve, Apple Blossom is a pale pink, just like (surprise!) an apple blossom, and Blue Diamond starts an intriguing blend of cream, sky blue and light green maturing to a beautiful clear sky blue. Menelik really IS almost black. The colors are richer and more nuanced than modern hybrids. And then there's the dizzying fragrance...(Scott, I'll email you a photo tonight)
On April 27th, 2005, nevadagdn added the following:

The antique daffodils offered by OHG are incredibly gorgeous. Try the rarities samplers for some that will make you swoon. My spring order arrived today, and everything is nice and healthy.
On October 21st, 2005, nevadagdn added the following:

Ho-hum! Another absolutely wonderful order, complete with a handwritten note from Scott, notes on the condition of some of the bulbs, and a personal stickie from Charlie (the cat)! I just finished sorting all of last fall's tulips and hyacinths from OHG, and the vast majority (I think I lost maybe 2%) of them are still healthy, with good increase.
On October 31st, 2005, nevadagdn added the following:

I (finally) got my bulbs in the ground this weekend. Beautiful big bulbs. I also placed another order late last week, because I just couldn't resist some of the things I'd overlooked.
On November 5th, 2005, nevadagdn added the following:

My final order for the fall arrived this week--beautiful bulbs! Of course I'll be back for more in the Spring...
On November 6th, 2007, nevadagdn added the following:

Nicest bulbs I received from any company (and I order from several to get everything I crave). Same good service and personal touches.
On April 13th, 2013, nevadagdn added the following:

I got an order of daylilies and iris yesterday. No change. I also got an order of mostly daffodils last fall. Still wonderful after all these years.
On October 10th, 2013, nevadagdn added the following:

I got my fall order. Beautiful bulbs. I can't wait for spring to see them come up and bloom.
On October 10th, 2013, nevadagdn added the following:

Wow! 10 years! This must be the crocus anniversary, right?
On May 6th, 2014, nevadagdn added the following:

Excellent, prompt service, great plants...as usual :-) I got daylilies and iris this time.
Positive yaelbelle
Baton Rouge, LA
April 5, 2014
I can't say enough good things about Old House Gardens. The first bulb I ever planted came from them a little over a decade ago. The service, info, product, and help were so spectacular, that I have ordered from them ever since. I have never been disappointed, but have frequently been happily surprised. I buy bulbs online exclusively from them. Locally I try out a variety of other things at local plant shows, but frankly, I am most often most pleasantly surprised by Old House Gardens. My bulbs always arrive with excellent information and instructions never leaving me unclear or with further questions. I can't recall such a long-term satisfactory shopping experience anywhere else for anything else!
Positive NeliM
Henderson, NV
March 16, 2014
I ordered four Cryptomeria Radicans/evergreen trees. For this small order I received so much attention (incl. several e-mails, future discounts, instructions for my plants...). I am so satisfied because my plants were shipped immediately and I received them in perfect condition after a long way traveling.
Positive ShadowWoods
Brownsville, CA (Zone 7b)
January 13, 2014
This is an excellent company with great communication and customer service. Their unusual collection of unique bulbs is certainly their niche. The only nit I have with them is that some of their run-of-the-mill items can be found less expensively at other sources.
Positive dbarron
Hindsville, AR (Zone 6b)
November 26, 2013
I've ordered from them before (long enough I have no idea what I ordered) and something was out of stock...and I got a credit. However, I just never got around to using the credit I had with them. I'm sure it was at least seven years ago. I had no idea now much the credit was either:) I emailed and promptly got a very nice email back with a total credit. I used it this fall and was quite pleased with the visual quality of the bulbs that I received.

Most companies would have purged my records within 7 years of not ordering (maybe more than 7). I appreciate not losing the money.
Positive kywaterfowl
Russell Springs, KY
November 24, 2013
Everything is good, had bulbs arrive on time and they were real good size. I'm very pleased and will do business again.
Positive akgchickadee
ROCK, MI
November 23, 2013
I've been an OHG customer for about 12 years and have never had any problems with the staff, the way they do business or their bulbs/roots/tubers, etc. I always order way more than I should because restraint is difficult, especially when you already know that you will be getting top quality, healthy, ready-to-grow bulbs. Growing instructions are always included, and more detailed info is archieved in their on-line monthly newsletters by topic. Yes, they may seem more costly than some offered by other mail-order companies, but you aren't likely to find the precious antiques they offer elsewhere. And the only way to keep them available is to purchase them so growers recognize a "demand" for them and continue growing them. I live in an antique log house built in 1914 and like the idea of including "age appropriate" plants in my gardens. Any time a problem has occurred their staff has gone out of their way to "make it right." I had a few dud bulbs that didn't grow (less than 5 out of about 100+) this past summer and they will all be replaced next fall at no additional charge to me. In addition, I have had several occasions to e-mail or phone OHG for information or to clarify an order. Responses have always been prompt, polite and helpful. They even make it a point to contact me when I've ordered something that isn't considered hardy in my crazy zone 3-4-5 area to be sure that I know it might not survive winter conditions here. I'm aware of the disconnect, and have plans to deal with it, but calling takes up time on their part and I appreciate it. I know they care about what becomes of their bulbs as well as the customer's satisfaction and success. Give OHG a gold star!
Positive Bucky5
Lafayette, NJ (Zone 5a)
November 23, 2013
I recently received my fall order from Old House Gardens. One of the items ordered was advertised as a 3-5 eyed (peony) rootstock. Packed with my receipt was a personal note saying they (OHG) felt the rootstock wasn't up to their standards, but they'd sent it in order not to disappoint me. Not up to their standards? It was a very large, very healthy, 4-eyed "clump" -- larger than any I've received from other catalogers. I was delighted! But there's more....

While the company had no reason to be apologetic, in addition to the handwritten "we're sorry" note, they included several extra bulbs of other items I'd ordered to make up for what they felt was a shortcoming in their product. I was more than pleasantly surprised; I was sort of stunned. I've never had a cataloger provide such personalized service with such a commitment to customer satisfaction and quality of material being sold. EXCELLENT supplier.
Positive DonnaMack
Elgin, IL (Zone 5a)
Posted on October 15, 2013, updated November 23, 2013
Posted on October 15, 2012, updated October 15, 2013
Posted on October 10, 2012, updated October 15, 2012
Posted on April 1, 1999, updated October 10, 2012
I would like to add to the raves for Old House Gardens.Having read great things about this catalogue in various places, and having been disappointed in bulbs that I received from another company, I was seeking Anemone blandas, and wanted to purchase them from OHG. I did not see them in the catalogue, so I sent an e-mail to the address listed.Much to my surprise, the very next morning produced a response from Scott Kunst. This started a terrific series of messages, which I will sum up. Mr. Kunst responded that it was not in the catalogue, but if I would agree to purchase 96, he would special order them for me. Stunned, I e-mailed back asking how he would like payment. I also expressed my disappointment with the other company. The next morning he responded that he had researched Anemone blanda, and found that it was not sufficiently antique to include in the catalogue (which is, after all, his goal), but that he liked the blue ones enough to order some for himself. He added that I could order and pay for them now or pay for them when they arrived later in the year. Best of all, he found something nice to say about his competitor, urging me to be patient. Wow!! I expanded my order to 96 white anemones, 96 blue ones, as well as 36 crocuses (so far!!) You already have great comments about the quality of Mr. Kunst's bulbs. I just wanted you to know about the wonderful responsiveness of the people at this terrific company.
On October 10th, 2012, DonnaMack added the following:

I had ordered from OHG in the past, and always was happy with the marvelous bulbs, and decided to try their peonies. I ordered Mrs. FDR, a peony I had at my previous address and wanted to replace. All of the bulbs were excellent, of course, but the peony was traffic stopping. I stopped counting at 14 eyes. Amazing. Even more amazing is that I found it on another website for $26.95. OHG sold it for $17.50. I'm thrilled.

Another note. Like Forest Farm, OHG had seemed expensive to me in past years. But middling companies now charge more than these two great entities. Both have "stood their ground" in terms of price. I will now be returning to both these superior purveyors. I am a very returning customer of OHG.
On October 15th, 2012, DonnaMack added the following:

I should add that I also ordered Mrs. Backhouse daffodils, and I was installing them today. The bulbs are outrageous, not just excellent, as I noted in my review of October 10, with huge double noses. I had to dig more deeply to get these extraordinary daffodils into the ground. I have ordered from some fine companies, but I have never seen bulbs, particularly heirloom bulbs, of this size.

I am so impressed.
On October 15th, 2013, DonnaMack added the following:

I just finished installing my new peonies from Old House Gardens - and it was actually a pleasure. Besides being sizable, the roots are horizontally positioned. I have had problems in the past with vertical roots, in that the base tends to rot and destroy the entire peony. Scott's are beautifully shaped.The trilliums I ordered were packaged with great care, and a clearly visible message, not lost in paper, to plant them without delay. All of the bulbs I ordered were large and fresh.

I can't wait to see what offerings are available in the spring.
On November 23rd, 2013, DonnaMack added the following:

Received stunning lilium martagon albums from the Old House Garden sale. They are so large that I can hardly believe that they are species lilies. And Scott kindly enclosed a couple of extra bulbs. I know that typically these lilies take a couple of years to start blooming, but given the size, I have my fingers crossed!
Positive MaryLFK
DeKalb, IL
November 22, 2013
I have been very impressed with customer service. I ordered bulbs that would have failed here in my cold neighborhood and was helped to find substitutes. When they sub they add extra value - how can you lose? Plus, the order this fall included a free gift of seeds. Nice. I like knowing that I am helping to save bulbs that once probably thrived around my old house. I don't want them to go extinct - how fun to save them and enjoy their spring beauty.
Positive Colibritaquin
St-Jacques, NB
Canada
November 22, 2013
A very good supplier. All bulbs purchased were very, very nice and healthy. Customer service was excellent and prompt.
Positive wrigh084dave
Apple Valley, MN
November 22, 2013
Great bulbs, great directions on planting, great communications about orders, great service.
Positive gaylened43
Charleston, SC
November 22, 2013
Incredibly personal customer service. Huge, healthy bulbs; fast delivery
Positive GreenCarol
Painesville, OH (Zone 6a)
November 22, 2013
As much as I love OHG's mission to preserve heirloom varieties, their customer service is just as good! Orders arrive on time, in excellent condition, and with full instructions for success. Heartily recommend these folks.
Positive rbnmll
Caro, MI
November 21, 2013
LOVE LOVE LOVE these guys! Order came promptly, and they put a hand-written note on my invoice! Web site is very user friendly, and contains tons of info. I also live in Michigan, and I am over the moon that this company is based in our state! I'm telling all my friends and family about them every chance I get. They're packaging is also just about perfect. Each variety is bagged separately with a very detailed description for planting, and is sent in a box that is not way oversized for the product which helps to conserve our resources. I honestly can't say enough good about them.
Robin - Caro MI
Positive lprnana
Atlanta, GA
November 21, 2013
The folks at OHG go out of their way to be accommodating and keep you informed. Their bulbs have performed well for me and I have been ordering from them for a few years. I highly recommend them.
Positive jmorth
Divernon, IL (Zone 5b)
October 31, 2013
Highest commendation, an excellent company w/ super service. They have a lot of heirloom daffodils and tulips plus a lot of other bulbs. A periodic publication called 'Old Bulbs Gazette' may be subscribed to, it is superlative newsletter.
Positive Broncobabe73
North Spearfish, SD
October 20, 2013
I have ordered bulbs from OHG for several years. The bulbs are sent in a timely fashion for my zone and in good shape and usually perform great. When they do not they are replaced with comments to insure their proper growth. OHG is very responsive with help when needed. I just received my fall bulbs and since we were covered with 50" of snow in a rare October blizzard I could not plant right away. The OHG Heirloom How-To instruction sheet and guide handles most of the possibilities and instructed me on how to store them until I can plant. I have enjoyed each experience. I am looking forward to planting my fall bulbs as soon as the snow disappears!
Positive JBH_1950
Phoenix, AZ
June 1, 2013
In my experience, these folks just do everything right: beautiful and informative catalogue/website, prompt order confirmation, followup with shipping info, friendly and personal communication, terrific order fulfillment, great packing, and, of course, top quality plants. I've ordered from Old House Gardens over several years, both in Phoenix and Sonoma, and both service and quality have been consistently excellent. I just planted a few new iris last month, and was, once again, delighted in the quality of the plants I received. Even though I'm almost running out of space, I'll order again this fall: I need more of the superb Lady tulips.
Positive planter52
Whitestone, NY
May 27, 2013
Beautiful daylily fans- Robust, great roots, great delivery and customer service communication. absolutely desrving of the top 30 rating.
Positive cwsomm
Dundalk, MD (Zone 7a)
May 8, 2013
This is the second year that I have ordered from Old House Gardens. The dahlias and gladiolia that I bought performed so beautifully last year that I could not wait to purchase again this year. I bought 5 more dahlias and
Abbyssinian Glads this year.

They arrived healthy and packaged nicely with a wonderful handwritten note on my order form. I love the convenience of ordering online, but I also appreciate the little touches that let me know that loving and caring people are behind "the screen". Thank you!

PS. I mulched all of my dahlias from last year and they have all returned this year. I am in zone 7 with a mild winter again this year. I am very excited for this season. Thank you once again. I cannot praise Old House Gardens enough!!!
Positive Nepitella
Syracuse
United States
May 8, 2013
Repeat customer, continued excellent plants and service. Have ordered from both the fall and spring lines, and have always been pleased. Most recently, received gorgeous hemerocallis fans with an extra treat bag of glads thrown in to compensate for the small size of one fan (although it was definitely of acceptable size!). Could not recommend Old House Gardens more. Please patronize a company showing both a passion for preserving old species, varieties, and genetic diversity and a sincere desire to make their customers happy!
Positive nmulvany
Fort Collins, CO
May 8, 2013
Excellent selection and excellent quality!
Positive rocksnsandnclay
Dover, NH
May 7, 2013
Love this company.
Catalog descriptions are accurate, detailed, and very helpful.
Customer service is right on top of things.
Prices are steeper than average (I usually buy at odd lot stores), but their products are superior in the long run.
Web site is easy to navigate and makes for good shopping.
This is my 3rd year ordering, have recruited friends, and pass along their newsletter as it is a terrific tool!
Lisa
Positive NtheWoods
(Zone 5b)
May 6, 2013
I ordered from Old House Gardens for the first time last spring. They didn't have one of the flowers that I wanted and sent some free glads with a nice apology note. All the flowers that I ordered grew beautifully including the free glads. I will definately be ordering from them again and am happy to recommend them.
Positive sunni5
Springdale, AR
April 29, 2013
Spring is a time of renewal for me. It calms my heart and gives me something to look forward to! Old House Gardens is the Only place that fulfills my needs on favorite, heirloom plants.
Actually,today, I just received my order for this year, and the plants are just as beautiful and healthy! A few more weeks and I can plant them!
I have placed numerous orders from Old House Gardens and have Never been disappointed - their employees are the most professional and informed people I have spoke to.
If you want to be a part of saving and growing healthy heirloom plants, stop in at OHG, you will never be disappointed!
Sincerely,
Rose
Positive SueCatherine
Cleveland, OH
April 26, 2013
I had a very positive experience with Old House Gardens and am happy to tell about it! As anew customer, I was a little hesitant to allow this company to charge my card before shipping,but there was no problem at all. The iris plants I ordered arrived in April, as promised. They are beautiful, healthy bare root plants with 3 to 4 eyes on each. Helpful information on each variety was included.along with a personal note and a gorgeous catalog. I could not be more pleased and will order again. I appreciate the personalized service, so hard to find nowadays!
Positive lemurianne
Ida Grove, IA (Zone 5a)
April 20, 2013
I just received my first order from Old House Gardens and I'm so impressed! My experience ordering bare-root plants through the mail has thus far been less than thrilling. But these irises and daylilies are gorgeous!! They are so healthy and clean and fresh it seems almost impossible that they've spent any time in transit! The bulbs are just as lovely, and everything is packed and labeled individually. The package included lots of useful information and specific planting instructions. There was also a personal note on my invoice, which was very touching and sweet. I will definitely be ordering from Old House Gardens again!
Positive buggzter
Ypsilanti, MI
April 18, 2013
Went to pick up my order from OHG today - so excited! Their place is beautiful, spring flowers just starting to bloom around here since it's been such a cool spring. I was surprised that they are located right in an old Ann Arbor neighborhood, but it is so beautiful there. I got to meet Scott and Kelly, they told me to make sure my irises got in the ground right away because of how much they have grown so far! As soon as I got out of my car, I got the irises and daylillies in the ground - the rest will be planted once I'm done typing here!

The irises have 3-5 fans per plant and 9-12" of roots, the daylilies have lots and LOTS of roots and decent fans (2-4), and the glads are in great condition and good size. Although the dahlia tubers are just singles for all but 1, all are fat and will bloom well when they grow. I am very confident that all of these older, historic plants will grow very very very VERY well for me.

I will be ordering again for sure - I can hardly wait for my spare money to grow again so I can get a bunch of fall-planted items! I look forward to getting lilies from them, as well as some tulips, daffs, crocuses, and hyacinths.

Positive wakingdream
Allentown, PA
April 12, 2013
I subscribe to the Old House Gardens newsletter which helps me appreciate the history of these plants and their champions who have labored to rescue vintage varieties. Today I received an order of the yellow heirloom Iris flavescens, 5 sections. Each rhizome is healthy, with 3 or 4 fans and miles of roots. An amazing sight to unpack such vigorous plants, obviously freshly dug and well packed. I gleefully planted them immediately, in the rain! Personal notes often accompany the receipts, a nice touch. I greatly enjoy reading their catalog and pondering the next addition to my historical collection. Their photos and descriptions actually identified some of the plants I was already growing here, Iris Wabash and Tulip clusiana. Someone should be saving old bulbs, tubers and corms and I am sure glad this company stepped up to the plate.
Positive themikesmom
Concord, NC
April 4, 2013
Bought a large bulk order of 'Flavescens' Historic yellow Iris from here, they just arrived, and they sent us awesome tripple fans! every single one of them was a tripple! It is so wonderful that they ship so early so you can get them in the ground when the new runners are still just forming and so they establish and bloom the very first season if you get them in the ground right away! they also sent us a huge lovely catalog of many rare historics we didnt even know they carried and a nice hand written thank-you note. We recieved our bulbs within 2 days of them being shipped in Michigan all the way down here in NC, and we could even track the order online. Well worth ordering from here! Highly Recommended.
Positive gruwellfam2
Seattle, WA
February 8, 2013
Old House has such a unique array of heirloom bulbs. My order came quickly and the bulbs were in good condition. I love lilies and knowing they date back to a certain time period is very exciting.

Of course, the best thing is when they bloomed, all of them were absolutely beautiful!

Thanks!
Positive mrs_colla
Marin, CA (Zone 9b)
February 7, 2013
Posted on February 7, 2013, updated February 7, 2013
I have ordered yesterday. Today I received an email that made me uncomfortable: the credit card was charged now, but they will hold my roots until November. Also, I got charged 1 dollar for credit card refunds, which I haven't requested, and 1 dollar for 'ordering on website'. I find it cheesy they charge me two dollars for that. It is not about the money, but about the slip in extras.
Also, I wasn't aware they would only ship in November, so I would like to hold on to my money myself.
I understand some bulbs/ roots are very rarae, and they would like to have some commitment from the buyers. I am very willing to pay a deposit. But to pay the full amount 9 months ahead, that I find silly. I am going to ask to cancel my order, and what do you know, there is my 'fee' for refunding... Ironic.
On February 7th, 2013, mrs_colla changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Please allow me to say I misread the email I got sent. Kathy replied to me and said those extras were internal codes and the pay next to it shows a zero, and it does. I was explained all peony nurseries charge the full price, and therefor I cannot hold against them what everybody does.
I have asked to keep my order as it stands, and I apologised for being quick to judge.
Positive RUBYS
Wrens, GA
November 18, 2012
Posted on January 26, 2011, updated November 18, 2012
I placed my first order this fall. In my southern sampler I received hurricane and oxblood lilies. As someone here commented I was a bit skeptical about how deep to plant the lilies, but shortly after planting I did see green leaves. The daffodils I planted are also starting to come up now. I already placed my order for the spring and I have started considering what bulbs I want to try next fall. I consider Old House Gardens a keeper.
On November 18th, 2012, RUBYS added the following:

My hurricane lily bloomed for the first time this fall I will order more. My spider lilies still have not bloom maybe next year.
After receiving a double tiger lily in my sampler previously I order more this year. I also added black beauty lilium and minor monarque narcissus.
Positive Jhoensheid
Suttons Bay, MI
November 4, 2012
I have been a fan of Old House Gardens for at least a half dozen years. I have been interested in growing Heirloom vegetables and by chance ran across Old House Gardens on the web. Now every fall I read through the informative and some humorous descriptions of bulbs and end up blowing my budget on flowers. But oh the joys come spring makes it all worth it.
Thank you Old House Gardens, you are #1 in my book.
Positive Joseph_Cincy
Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6a)
November 3, 2012
I purchased heirloom bulbs from OHG last month, including English Bluebells, which I have been wanting to try for some time. Their selection is amazing. I needed the bulbs delivered during a limited time window, and the company was helpful in accommodating me. OHG = positive!

Unfortunately, the US Postal Service did not hold up its end of the process. OHG is about six hours north of Cincinnati by car. OHG emailed me the statement of shipment and the tracking information on a Tuesday morning, and I expected the bulbs Wednesday or Thursday. The USPS web site only listed their initial recording of the package in Ann Arbor on Tuesday, and the tracking information was not updated for several days . . . as I pined for the bulbs' arrival with sad puppy dog eyes each time the mailman came empty-handed. Then, on Friday, the USPS web site finally listed the bulbs in Norfolk, Virginia. Virginia! The bulbs arrived on the following Monday -- it took almost a week for them to travel six hours by car. This is no fault of OHG, but I hope that they chastise the postal system when such nonsense occurs. OHG's site and paperwork noted that the bulbs needed to be planted immediately; so, I am worried about the bulbs, but they did not seem dried out. USPS = negative!

I was alarmed to see the mold on the English Bluebell bulbs, but the enclosed information stated that penicillium mold was normal for those bulbs. Of course, I had handled the bulbs before I read about the mold, and being allergic to penicillin, I wondered if I would have a reaction. But I was fine. I survived the fungus, and, hopefully, the bulbs will survive the postal system's inanity. I'm looking forward to seeing and smelling the flowers in the spring! In the meantime, I am enjoying the Old Bulb Gazette that OHG sends out.
Positive cheekylady
Kansas City, MO
October 25, 2012
I adore dealing with Scott & everyone at OHG. I've been buying bulbs from them for a little over a year, and they always do well (even in containers). My husband and I recently bought our first home together, and I immediately knew who I was ordering my first plants for our new beds from. My fall-planted order arrived this week with a note - Scott had noticed that my name had changed and surmised that I'd gotten married - and sent his Congrats. It's that sort of interaction that makes me a very loyal customer - they know me, and take care of me and my flower needs. I can't wait to see my plants bloom next spring!