The scoop on 'Composters.com (GREENCulture)'

Composters.com (GREENCulture)

32 Rancho Circle
Lake Forest, California 92630 (United States)

Phone: 1-877-204-7336

Comments:

Negative mariposaCalient
Vienna, VA
May 17, 2010
Horrible experience with this company. I was careful to read the terms of purchase that went on and on and on about what to do if the shipment was damaged. There was so much verbiage about shipping that I now see it was put there to cover up what is at the bottom of the disclaimer: that being, a small blurb, written in very poor English, about charging huge percentages for cancelled orders that I did not comprehend on the first reading. When I changed my mind about the order later that Saturday (it was for rain barrels and I decided I wanted to try DIY) I sent emails and left voicemails to this effect. It was not until Monday afternoon that I got a very defensive and rude person on the phone after several attempts to reach the company via email and by phone. I was informed that the whole affair was my fault and would I like to pay the $269 restocking fee to cancel the order? I declined, reminded the lady I was talking to that ducking would be a good idea because bad Karma does come back around and that I would be reporting my bad experience here at Dave's Garden. I will NEVER do business with this company again even if the rain barrels turn out great. All they do is hold water, for goodness sake.
Negative Angel_D
Quincy, IL (Zone 5b)
March 6, 2007
I ordered a pound of red wriggler worms (Eisenia foetida) and a worm tower from Composters.com, which is a subsidiary of Green Culture, Inc (which is the name on all the e-mail receipts that I got). I assumed the tower would arrive before or at the same time as the worms. Instead, the worms arrived March 2, and the projected delivery date for the tower is March 12! Nothing arrived with the worms regarding care instructions. I had to go online to find some information (not much) on their website.

When I called their customer service (the day the worms arrived) they said that normally the tower would have been shipped first.

So far the worms are doing okay in their temporary home (the cardboard box they came in, with some damp newspaper strips on top and bottom, along with a little lettuce and some crushed eggshell) but the whole reason I ordered a tower was so I would not have to make a homemade worm bed. I hope I can keep them happy and healthy until the tower arrives.

(I'll try to update this post once the tower arrives, and provide further feedback)

Note: the customer service rep I dealt with was very nice and as helpful as he could be under the circumstances. Composters.com does not "produce" either the worms nor the tower, I think ... I believe they coordinate all that stuff through third parties.
On March 12th, 2007, Angel_D added the following:

The worm bin arrived today (12 March) as anticipated. The instructions with the worm bin (for both the bin and the worms) are pretty good. If the bin had arrived before the worms, this company would have received a positive rating from me. They've got a lot of neat stuff on their website.

Also, I managed to keep the worms alive in the temporary home, and so far they seem healthy. Either I did a really good job, or they are high quality worms. Or perhaps worms are just tough little critters. :)
Positive phat5150
Costa Mesa, CA
August 21, 2006
Composters had a great selection and got me my rotating drum on time.. Nothing but good things to say!!!!
On August 24th, 2006, phatbastid5150 added the following:

The negatice comment for this website is wrong Eco-gardening is a diffrent website than composters I think
Negative cologardner
Grand Junction, CO
March 24, 2006
a lot of the garden items are out of stock i wish thet would keep the
items better stocked
Positive soilserf
douglasville, GA (Zone 7a)
March 22, 2006
this company has very good customer service. they also do not charge your credit card until the product is shipped.