The scoop on 'Arid Lands Greenhouses'

Arid Lands Greenhouses

3560 W. Bilby Rd
Tucson, Arizona 85746-3614 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Positive Minime8484
Chandler, AZ (Zone 9b)
May 7, 2014
Posted on September 24, 2010, updated May 7, 2014
Absolutely one of the best. Before I ordered, I called to ask a few questions - they took time and cared enough to learn exactly what I was looking for and recommend what would work for me.
Email statuses are a great bonus too.
On May 7th, 2014, Minime8484 added the following:

I continue to be incredibly impressed by their service, promptness, and plant quality.
I've ordered from them before and have always been pleased. I've also had the pleasure of stopping by the nursery and they are just as great with customer service face-to-face!
Last week, I placed and order, and within 4 hours, I received 3 emails in sequence each not long after the other: Ordered Received; Order Processing; and, Order Shipped.
Two days later I opened the box to some incredible specimens! Simply cannot be recommended highly enough!
Positive timco54
La Puente, CA
March 22, 2014
They gave me a status update, and the plants arrived quickly and carefully packed. Great buying experience, five stars.
Positive hardyinokc
Oklahoma City, OK
February 28, 2014
Posted on April 9, 2012, updated February 28, 2014
Posted on May 12, 2010, updated April 9, 2012
plant order arrived promptly, well-packed, and plants small but healthy. will definitely order from Arid Lands again in the future.
On April 9th, 2012, hardyinokc added the following:

Recieved my 2nd order from Arid Lands. I am totally impressed with their great communication (sent me 3 emails in one day to keep me informed) and prompt shipping (they shipped out my order the same day the order was placed). The plant they sent was a nice size for the price and seems very healthy (just hope I can keep it that way!). Will definitely order from Arid Lands again.
On February 28th, 2014, hardyinokc added the following:

Received cactus order yesterday...VERY nice plants...well packed...good communication...prompt delivery...who could ask for more?????? THANX!!!
Positive nancyanne
Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a)
September 17, 2012
Very extensive selection of hard-to-find and unusual plants. Plants ordered received quickly after email notice from company that order had shipped. Well packed. Plants very healthy and nice. Probably the most reasonable shipping costs I've seen in awhile.
I am pleased with the plants, the shipping, and the communication. Well done.
Positive plexippus
Chicago Suburbs, IL (Zone 5b)
August 9, 2012
I ordered from Aridlands for the first time and was very impressed with them. They sent out my order the same day I placed it and I received it in 2 days. They plants I received look great and are pest free and healthy. One of my plants was much larger than expected. They offer a nice selection of unusual plants and prices are reasonable. I will definitely order from them again.
Positive Marianthelibrarian
Rochester, NY (Zone 6a)
May 5, 2012
Arid Lands has a nice selection of stapeliads. Plants are good-sized, healthy, and arrived carefully packed.
Neutral jerrytate
Lake Charles, LA
November 14, 2011
Posted on October 25, 2011, updated November 14, 2011
i recently received my 1st order. plants arrived well packaged and true to descriptions given on their website.
On November 14th, 2011, jerrytate changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

after reconsidering, the two agave atrovirens v. mirabilis were listed as seedlings in 5 inch pots. i would say they would be something normally found in a thimble. the plants were just too small to be listed as suitable for a 5 inch pot. be wary when the description says seedling. maybe they sent the wrong size by mistake. or being a hard to find on-line species, that's what is the norm.
Positive SDCA
San Diego, CA
August 24, 2011
I've made several orders from Arid Lands over the past few years now and I have no complaints. Quite the opposite actually! They have a great selection, the orders come quickly and they are well packed. In my experience they have the best customer service as well. My emails are always answered quickly and honestly. I'll definitely be back for more.
Positive jll
Pendleton, OR
July 24, 2011
Posted on July 21, 2008, updated July 24, 2011
I have had many orders with them. Plants are great and shipping is fast.
On June 4th, 2009, jll added the following:

A few more orders from this great company. Customer service is excellent. Plants are healthy. I have always had good experience. vicki
On July 24th, 2011, jll added the following:

My new adenium came today what a nice big plant. shipping as always is fast thank you
Positive karyn1
Silver Spring, MD
December 18, 2010
I received my first order last week and am quite pleased. Most of the plants were the size I expected but a couple were much larger. They were carefully packed with a 72 hr heat pack and arrived in excellent condition. I thought the prices were very reasonable for the size plants I ordered.
Positive zone10
San Diego, CA (Zone 10b)
November 9, 2010
I recently ordered three Euphorbias and a Pachypodium from Arid Lands. All arrived in great condition. They were pretty small, but fit the description on the website. Once potted, they all showed good growth. I was pleasantly surprised at the size of one of the plants I ordered. It was a lot larger than I expected. Arid Lands has a great selection of succulents and nice photos. Shipping was quick and the plants were packaged well. I highly recommend Arid Lands.
Neutral Haworthihead
La Mesa, CA
February 26, 2010
Very good quality plants, but I was a bit disappointed upon seeing the relatively small sizes for the fairly high prices they charge. Especially because one of these had a photo of a much larger specimen on the website, so that is what I expected to receive. Their selection is their strong suit, but I probably won’t order from them again. That being said, if I had more money I must admit that I would purchase a lot of plants from them.
Positive arizonadirt
Mesa, AZ (Zone 9b)
December 29, 2009
Arid Lands is a great nursery to do business with. I have had 4 or 5 orders from them and been pleased with all of them. I was in the Tucson area this summer and decided to drop in and check them out. Wow! I was like the proverbial kid in a candy store! Rest assured, if you order from them, you will not be disappointed. They may be DG top 5 for succulents, but in my book, they are number 1!!
Positive AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA (Zone 8a)
December 5, 2009
Totally positive. The plants were welll packed, and packed appropriate for species. I expect 100% satisfaction on this order.
Neutral aridgardenr
Chicago, IL
September 18, 2009
First time I ordered the plants were perfect. The second time the quality was poor. I did send the plants back, and they did give me a full refund including shipping.
Positive balberth
(Zone 9a)
May 3, 2009
Arid lands ships well grown plants. My order arrived quickly and securely packed - they did a perhaps overly zealous job of communication sending many e-mails updating me on the progress of my order.

My only disappointment is that one plant I ordered was not included in my shipment. I was not charged, and there was a handwritten note on the invoice apologizing that they "could not find" the plant ( a bulb which had gone dormant ). Sadly, the plant remains available on their website.

In the end, however, I was impressed by the quality and size of the plants I did receive and the speed with which I received them.
Positive davidmk
Austin, TX (Zone 8b)
March 20, 2009
Arid Lands consistently sells quality plants that you cannot find elsewhere. They have a huge selection. Their succulents and cacti are healthy, they ship quickly, they have a great website. Give them a try!
Positive ooojen
Lewiston, MN
February 15, 2008
I've ordered from Arid Lands Greenhouses quite a few times, and I've always gotten healthy well-established plants, carefully packaged and shipped very quickly. Communication is excellent, and the owners are knowledgeable and so nice and helpful! They have a wide selection of succulents with an ever-changing inventory that always includes many hard-to-find gems.
I haven't found any online source of succulents that can even come close to the all-around quality and service they provide at Arid Lands.
Positive Nan
SW, WI (Zone 4b)
February 11, 2008
Wow! Absolutely the *best* customer service to date from an online seller (and I've used many!) - these folks go the extra mile.
Incredibly fast shipping.
Most importanly - great plants/tubers/bulbs, larger than expected.
Positive dmj1218
west Houston, TX (Zone 9a)
February 7, 2008
This is a great company for hard-to-find African bulb species. Toni is wonderful for customer service and the plants are healthy and ready to grow upon arrival. Although this was my first purchase with Arid Lands; it will definitely not be my last!

Positive Indigoez
Floresville, TX (Zone 9a)
January 28, 2008
Excellent! I've ordered three times in the past year (mostly aloes, but a few others) and all the plants have been of excellent quality and shipped quickly. You can't go wrong ordering from Arid Lands.
Positive golfcart
Summerfield, FL
September 17, 2007
This was my first purchase from this company, but it won't be my last. Very fast shipping and good communication. Plants arrived well packaged and healthy.
Positive Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL (Zone 7b)
September 17, 2007
Excellent - received order within a week - great looking plants and good sized :-)
Positive wsu_scott
Pullman, WA
September 7, 2007
A perfect online experience. My Pyrenacantha arrived in great shape in less than three days! Very reasonable prices, both for the plant and for shipping. Email order confirmation and updates were sent promptly.
Positive congminglaoshi
Tuckahoe, NY
May 23, 2007
I just got my order today, less than a week after I placed it on their site. I am very pleased with what I got. It is not my first order from Arid Lands, and like usual, the plants look great, ready to be potted up. Their prices are very reasonable, their inventory seems to be increasing over time, and they have many species either not found elsewhere, or if so they will often cost a lot more (and not necessarily for a bigger or better plant) from elsewhere. Plants I've ordered before have done well, and I particularly appreciate that they carry a decent selection of unusual pelargonium species. The number of species of aloe and euphorbia which they offer is simply enormous. Try them, you won't be disappointed.
Positive hostamomma
Dundee, IL
April 27, 2007
Customer service is excellent and shipping is very quick. Ordered 4 different types of Sansevieria from them on the phone and added two more they suggested that I did not have for my collection. Plants were smaller than other mail order sources but very much in line for lower prices. They have some of the more unusual varieties available on occasion and I will definetly order from them again.
Positive bbinnj
West Orange, NJ (Zone 6a)
March 5, 2007
These folks had adeniums for sale that no one has, and the prices are very, very reasonable. You pay for the size you want (if available), and the top prices are affordable for many. They charged a reasonable shipping fee (note that they ship bare-root, not potted to save you money) and only $2 for a heat pack (I've seen vendors charge up to $7 for these). They told me I'd only need 1 heat pack for my package, and they were right. The plants were shipped quickly and arrived fine.
Positive palmbob
Acton, CA (Zone 8b)
February 28, 2007
This is a great company! They have a nice inventory, and you can see actually how many plants they have when you order. Not only that, every plant has a photo to go with it, and a blurb about it. ... Amazing! The plants are relatively huge compared to most other mail order sites, and in excellent condition... no wonder... you usually get the plants just 2-3 days after ordering them (unlike my USUAL experiences with most places taking 2-5 months!). Nothing bad to say about these folks- they have got it together!!!
On April 13th, 2007, palmbob added the following:

I have ordered from them two more times, and just like the first, time, excellent plants, received just days after ordering. They even send daily e-mails telling you what stage of processing your order is in (packing, shipping, etc.). Why can't all companies be like this??
Positive lroot
Hollywood, CA (Zone 9b)
November 30, 2006
I order four plants from them and the plants I received were in good shape when they arrived and were actually larger than the ones pictured on their site. Their prices were good and the service excellent. I will use them again soon.

Lonny
Positive gone2seed
Milton, FL (Zone 8a)
June 21, 2006
This company is back up and operating.They gave me excellent service.They have some unusual plants not generally available elsewhere.I will be ordering from them again.
Positive mikevan
Comanche, TX
April 5, 2006
Excellent experience with them a while back. They're supposed to be re-opening mid-April 2006 - perhaps under new management - hope this doesn't change their wonderful track record because I have my next shopping list ready for them...
Positive gingerbaby2000
Brooklyn, NY
November 12, 2005
They are the absolute best! They get in touch w/you when they get the order and give you an idea of when its going to be sent. But what I like the best is when they make a mistake they will rectify it immediately. Imagine my surprise and dismay when I logged on the site tonight and see that they no longer are in business.

Ginger
Positive Uncarina
Seattle, WA
April 29, 2005
I've ordered from Arid Lands 6 times. Always got my plants quickly and they were always of good health and labeled properly. The only problem was they sent me the wrong Aloe once. I emailed them about it, they sent me the correct one and let me keep the wrong one. A nice gesture. I would definately order from them again. Customer service is excellent. Good selection, healthy plants, all around good place to order from.
Positive RWhiz
Spring Valley, CA (Zone 10a)
March 1, 2005
I placed an order for a couple of rare aloes with Arid Lands. I received an e-mail stating the order was sent and that they included a Euphorbia I had been looking for for a long time and that was rare in cultivation. I received the order very promptly.

First, let me say that someone must have recognized my name when I posted on the Yahoo group 'Euphorbia_etc', because I had made no mention of this plant when I placed my order for the aloes with Arid Lands.

Thank you Arid Lands! That goes above and beyond service. Will most definitely do business with again.
Positive NCcactophile
Carrboro, NC
October 15, 2004
Wow. I'm extremely impressed not only with their excellent customer service (fast email replies), but also the outstanding quality of the plants I ordered. All the plants in my order were carefully packaged, spotless, and appear disease free. They have a great website, and the plants are inexpensive, remarkably so. This company is excellent!
Positive grhse147
Southampton, NY
October 3, 2004
One of my favorite websites to use - very easy and clear.
They are quick to answer questions and give tips for growing - Friendly customer service - and the plants are GREAT.
Positive tn_angel
Huntsville, TN
August 7, 2004
This was my first time ordering from them, they sent me 2 healthy hard to fine ceropegia woodii..at a very good price..Also, the shipping great and they were well protected.I look forward to ordering from them again!!
Positive rusty2004
Lodi, CA
June 25, 2004
I received my 1st order this year, have gotten plants befor, customer service very good, speed in receiving my order, packing good, and plants were perfect. Very pleased.
Marlene Motz
On January 19th, 2006, rusty2004 added the following:

received a e.mail from aridlands today, kristy is very sick, they are putting the business up for sale. If do not find a good buyer, they will close. Pray for Kristy, send her best wishes.
On January 25th, 2006, rusty2004 added the following:

I HATE TO WRITE THIS, kristy has passed away. She was a special gal, always friendly and very good customer service. The last e.mail from her she was excited about planting thousands of cactus seed,and watch them grow. She will be remembered. We will keep her family in mind,and prayer.
On April 21st, 2006, rusty2004 added the following:

Want to let every one know arid lands is now reopen. They sold it to Bob Webb and Toni Y ocum, he has done cactus landscaping cactus for 25 years and collected for 20 years, traveled far and wide.
sounds like alot of experience, received a letter from Chuck Hanson today.
On July 4th, 2006, rusty2004 added the following:

Received my second order from the new owners, and the plants could not be nicer. Alot of roots, large plants, could not be more pleased. Shipped in a weeks time too.
Marlene
Positive gardengalca
January 18, 2004
This company has an excellent selection of Euphorbias. The plants are sometimes smaller than might be expected, but the selection is great. This is one of the best C&S mail order companies.
Positive epistaxis
December 6, 2003
I've now ordered a few times.They notify you when they've recieved the order and also when they've shipped. I've recieved each order remarkably quickly. That plants are in excellent shape and doing very well (and I don't really have a green thumb). I love their on-line catalog with great pictures and a wonderful assortment. I especially appreciate their euphorbia selections. I highly recommend them and look forward to making another visit to their website again soon.