The scoop on 'Twombly Nursery'

Twombly Nursery

163 Barn Hill Road
Monroe, Connecticut 06468-2029 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: $4

This company offers a variety of gardening supplies and plants.

Comments:

Positive dave12122
East Haddam, CT
July 2, 2008
I have visited Twombly's several times over the last 20 years and always find their plants to be very healthy and obviously well cared for. They have probably the best selection of Cypripedium and Arisaema in New England! While I would not characterize their offerings as cheap, they do give discounts for quantity purchases. The staff is unusually knowledgable and friendly. If you happen to be traveling through Connecticut, this nursery is definitely worth a look!!

Positive superplantgirl
Monroe, CT
July 1, 2008
I recently visited Twombly Nursery for the first time. I've lived in Monroe Connecticut for years, and never knew it was here. What an amazing experience! The inventory was AMAZING! I've never seen so many rare or large specimen trees in one place.
The sales staff is both friendly and extremely knowledgeable. I found everything I was looking for plus a few extra "special plants" that I didn't even know I wanted...
I've heard that Twombly Nursery is a bit pricey - but in my opinion, they are no more expensive than most other local nurseries - but the material is just so much better. Not a bug or disease to be found.
I plan on spending every season shopping at the nursery and strolling its beautiful gardens.
Positive grthumb
Westport, CT
January 7, 2007
Amazing selection of trees, shrubs and perennials - even well into the season. Found what I wanted in October! Very knowledgable staff. Best nursery east of San Francisco. Can't wait to visit again this spring.
Positive jjpm74
Stratford, CT (Zone 6b)
September 24, 2006
Lots of great perennials at prices that are lower than most other area nurseries. The selection carries into the autumn which is a welcome site since mkost other nurseries are all mums and Halloween decorations by now. The shrubs are a little on the pricy side, but are well cared for and disease free. The staff is knowledgeable and helpful.
Positive ctgardener
Sherman, CT (Zone 5b)
April 24, 2005
Great plants, shrubs and trees. Staff was very knowledgeable and steered me in the right direction. Every purchase has been a winner.
Positive threepools
Springfield, MA
February 19, 2005
Well worth visiting. Beautiful mature gardens to give you inspiration. They have a nice selection of dwarf alpine plants. They really specialize in large specimen plants. Because the trees and shrubs are so large, they are also very pricey. But that can be worth it. I bought a Sky Pencil Holly from Wayside gardens, and after three years it is not as big as one I could have bought at Twombly's for only a little more money. A great place to go for old Japanese maples. Expect to pay $300 to $1200 for a magnificent specimen that would take decades to grow from a $40 sapling.
Negative trig6ger
September 5, 2003
Used to be a great place to buy woody shrubs although it was a bit expensive. However, it now is more interested in the wholesale trade.