The scoop on 'William Tricker Inc.'

William Tricker Inc.

7125 Tanglewood Drive
Independence, Ohio 44131 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-524-3492
Paper Catalog Cost: $2

Visit William Tricker Inc. at:

This company offers a variety of gardening supplies and plants.

Comments:

Positive pondfanatic
Sandusky, OH
November 17, 2010
I have been dealing with this GREAT company for years! Called there last summer and they diagnosed my poor goldfish and sent me the proper treatment and he was good as new in a week :-) The plants I have ordered have always arrived in good comdition and grown very well...debating on expanding the pond next year. SHHH dont tell the wife!
Negative enviroplanter
(Zone 5b)
June 9, 2010
Posted on May 20, 2010, updated June 9, 2010
Posted on May 20, 2010, updated May 20, 2010
Posted on May 14, 2010, updated May 20, 2010
I have dealt with this company for a number of years and have been generally satisfied. However, when I placed an order this year: (a) they charged me for an item which could not be shipped to my state; (b) they sent only 1 of an item when 3 had been ordered (and charged for 3); (c) they shipped the wrong size of another item. Messages left on their website contact form have not been answered for the past two days.
On May 20th, 2010, enviroplanter added the following:

I finally heard from them and they blamed their lack of response on a computer problem. What would we do without computers to blame things on?! At any rate, they gave me a credit for the unshipped item and authorized a UPS pickup for the rest of the stuff. Now it appears that they have refused delivery on the return! They appear to be totally incompetent.
On May 20th, 2010, enviroplanter added the following:

Looks like the return was delivered (UPS tracking information is confusing). Apologies for my misinformation.
On June 9th, 2010, enviroplanter added the following:

Just to give complete disclosure, they finally issued a full refund. My rating remains unchanged.
Positive Froggyguy
Lakewood, OH
July 1, 2009
I was reading some mixed opinions on this compnay, and would like to say I have been doing business with William Tricker for years and have always found there plants to be some of the best in the market for there prices, and have always been impressed with the knowledgable sales staff and customer service in general
Negative Williammunny
Oklahoma City, OK
June 28, 2009
Ordered tropical lilies, two days in mail stream, planted sameday arrived. They bloomed five weeks after planting (Trickers advertises blooms in a week) with all the necessary ingredients, only to be something other than what I ordered. The "Antares Red" is white pink and the "Rio Rita" is the size of a half dollar, smaller than any lily I have ever grown. Called Trickers twice, first sales associate was anything other than a helpful SA, the second time was told to mail back the plant or plants at my expense and would be reimbursed if deemed worthy of such. It is not worth ripping apart my pond at this time of the season (Trickers should be about helping maintain a desirable water garden) and Trickers does not need my money in the future.
Positive frogfish
Cleveland, OH
October 3, 2007
I recently purchased some aquarium plants and filter replacements from Tricker's on-line store. The Plants were amazing! They even sent me a Free bonus plant for placing an order. I have quite a few aquariums along with two ponds outside and have bought plants online many times from different places, but now that I have found Tricker's I will only order from them. The aquarium plants had fantastic prices and the plants were Full and Healthy. Not like what I see at the local pet stores. I'm excited about spring now to order my pond plants from them.
Positive PCrisler
Ft. Wright, KY (Zone 6a)
August 11, 2007
After reading the posts, I decided to add my own two cents worth. My sister and I planned a day trip to Trickers late this spring. On the positive side, we were lucky enough to meet Richard Lee who took quite a bit of time with us telling us of the history, and even shared a story about the picture of the boy and girl posed on the Victoria plant. He even led us into areas that are closed to the public to show us some of the most beautiful lotus plants that I will ever see. He shared so much information, that as a beginner water gardener, I felt more confident about what I was doing, and how to go about it. I cannot say enough about the generosity Richard showed to us that day. We were overwhelmed at the lillies, and the vast varieties of other aquatic plants he has to offer. I have never seen more beauty in one place ever! The lilies are simply gorgeous. This was truly a wonderful experience until it came time to order and pay. I suppose that since they are mostly mail-order, the staff has not had to develop people skills. This was our first trip there, so we had no idea what to do, or how to do it. When we asked one person how do we go about buying our plants, we were told to grab a catalog and point to what we wanted. (?) I suppose she thought this "cleared that up" and that we understood everything, because despite the confused look on our faces, she turned away. Once we had made our selection, we found out that we had selected tropical plants when what we really wanted was hardy ones. So, then we were directed to go outside to the ponds. Again, no direction, just point and shoot. We found our way to the ponds, decided what we wanted and went back inside. We told a young man inside that we found the plants that we liked, and how can we go about getting them? We assumed that what we needed to do now was show someone which ones we had selected, they would go to the pond and get it. Wrong! It's simply "not done" like that! Usually you just pick the color you want, the guy goes to the pond, grabs it and brings it in for you.....but as horrified as they were, they said that they would ask if that could be done. A half hour later, we are chastised all the way back to the pond, given all the reasons that we MIGHT not be able to get the EXACT plant we want, but we can get one of that variety. At this point, we are sweating ourselves silly partly because it is so hot and humid, and partly from fear of being thrown in one of the ponds and drowned for not knowing proper procedure. Anyway, back inside I tiptoe to get my catalog and point to the marginal plants I've selected while a young man in a "very" bad mood writes my selections down, all the while grumbling about why he was the only one there, and where was everybody else, and so on. My guess is that he is the same one in a previous post that finally quit. He disappears for 20 minutes or so, and comes back with my plants, one of which I did NOT point to. When I let him know this, that plant got tossed on the floor none too gently. Anyway, we finally paid....this was about a $300 trip for me. Sorry to make this ramble on, but I have been accused of being chatty. The long and the short of it is.....the owner Richard is wonderful, I can't say enough good about him. His sales staff, however, need to take a swim in the "happy" pond. I will definitely buy from Trickers again, probably mail order. But....if I do decide to drive back up there, I'll stay out of trouble this time....I know the procedure now!
Positive PlantsnobIN
Paoli, IN
June 29, 2007
I placed an order online on 6-25, and rec'd it today, 6-29. Lilies had buds, and the floating plants were very generous portions. I would be happy to order from them again.
Negative Biker1
McLean, VA (Zone 7a)
May 18, 2007
DO NOT BUY FISH from Tricker. I ordered 12 large goldfish and paid the $20 shipping fee. Upon delivery I immediately opened the box. 1/2 of the fish were dead. It was really disgusting. I called Tricker and was told that they would ship 6 more fish, but only if I paid the shipping fee. Why would I pay $20 to possibly get more dead fish??? They will not issue a credit or refund for the dead fish. Moreover, the person on the telephone was extremely rude. This guarantee is a sham.
Positive outside19
Gettysburg, PA
September 4, 2006
Have been purchasing water lilies and other supplies in the mail from William Tricker for years. Had an opportunity to visit the nursery this summer, and must say that it one of the most amazing nurseries that I have ever seen. The staff was very knowlegable and courteous. They grow all the water lilies and aquatic plants and can be seen in various stages.
Negative country4ever
Lebanon, IN (Zone 5a)
January 4, 2006
I should probably preface this by saying that for several years, I ordered various marginals from this company, and they were always in excellent condition, and very well packed. In the spring of 2004, I ordered an American lotus. It arrived, and I planted it. It didn't bloom the first year. When it bloomed in 2005, I was very disappointed to discover that it wasn't an American lotus at all. It was probably Bellagio....which isn't anything like the American. I called them and they said that if I wanted a refund, I would have to wait until Fall and send them back the tuber. I had already waited over a year for this lotus to bloom, and I really didn't want to have to add more to my trouble, by waiting until late fall, digging it up, and returning it. They were very insistent about this. I spoke to a supervisor, and she said I could send a letter to their review committe. So I took pictures, and sent a letter. With much reluctance, they finally reimbursed me without returning the "wrong" lotus.
I appreciated them finally rectifying this situation, but they made it very difficult. I will not order any more lotus from them, because of this one mistake. It might be different if I could tell right away it was the wrong lotus, but I took care of this other one for over year, to find it was the wrong one, and I didn't want this to happen again.
So....in all fairness, I think their marginals are great, and I would order them again, but I definitely wouldn't take a chance on anything that might not bloom for a year.
Positive gardeninghome
Union City, OH
August 2, 2005
I had attended a water gardening lecture by Richard Lee, president of William Tricker, Inc. and receive their wonderful catalog every year. I have the Tricker book which has very useful information not only on plants but snails, tadpoles, fish, etc. (in fact, I grew the gigantic Victoria waterlily last year with help and inspiration from the book). I have ordered plants by mail, and have never had any problems but enjoyment from my water gardens. They send healthy and robust plants. I finally decided to visit their nursery in Independence, Ohio in late June. I was totally amazed at the amount and selection of aquatic plants and items they have. There are thousands of blooms and even saw customers picking out choice plants from their outdoor ponds. The staff was very knowlegable and answered a lot of questions from the customers. I highly recommend Trickers plants and, if possble, a visit to their nursery.
Neutral kin2mice
Columbus, OH
July 15, 2005
My friend and I drove up to Trickers to vist the show rooms and the retail environment. The prices were very very good, the plants healthy and well worth the money we paid for them. However, the service was completly random, there were no clear directions on how to get in line, should we take a ticket (which was hidden behind some dusty displays) or just stand in line. Then it took forever for them to get our order 30mins together. While we were waiting one customer got so upset because he had traveled even longer then we did to get fish that his sales person could not find. When another salesperson came to help him she said "sure we have the fish they are in a big tank right in back" the first salesperson then got in a fight with the second and then just said" I quit, I should have been off 15mins ago so I am just leaving now, see you later!" Needless to say we were all very not impressed we anyones actions. When I inquired if today was a normal busy day (since it took so long and everyone looked fustered that waited on us) I was informed that this was slow day since it was in the middle of july. When we inquired if the information about our plants could be found in the famous Tricker book we were told yes, every plant can be found and detailed care for them as well. The book was not worth the 20$ they wanted but it was worth the 10$ each my friend and I paid for it . While it had lots of useful information some of it was just too trival or too stupid to really have been included.
All in all this is a neutral comment since we figure the place is really a mail order/whole sale operation and retail is just a side line. Even though the display cases and merchandise was dusty it is a green house environment and everything was well stocked. Some of the plants we wanted were not available but...we did come at the end of the busy season and were told that the plants would be back in stock once they multipled.
The gardens were gorgous and it looked like they were remodeling two of their green houses. (including the one with the Victoria in it) All the plants are thriving so far in both of our gardens.
Neutral yao
San Francisco, CA
July 1, 2005
I really wanted to like this company, as they had a bunch of stuff that I'd been combing the Internet for (they have some things most other places don't have). However, there were a number of problems with the order. Eventually almost everything worked out OK, but the process in between wasn't totally what I would have wished for.
Positive mikejan
Staten Island, NY
June 16, 2002
I ordered their half-barrel pond w/tropical plants. The plants were to be shipped in June after the weather warmed up. I was not home on the Friday they tried to make delivery and they sat all weekend (hot, hot, hot) in the truck. The waterlily looked like it was boiled. The water lettuce was DOA. The iris has not recovered despite their literature saying it would within a week. The only plant showing any sign of growth is the Hedychium sp., which has a new bud popping up, the topgrowth having died. This is neutral rather than negative because had I been around to receive it, the plants might have done better. However, to ship in hot weather without a heads-up via e-mail is not smart.
On June 27th, 2002, mikejan changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I've decided to give them a positive since 2 of the plants are now showing signs of life, though it took 2 weeks rather than the 1 they advised. Since I asked them to remove me from their mailing list rather than seeking redress, I will give them the benfit of the doubt. They've been in business a long time, so they must be doing something right.