Our annual end-of-summer contest is here, come on down to the Dave's Garden County Fair!

The scoop on 'Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee)'

Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee)

300 Park Ave.
Warminster, Pennsylvania 18974 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-333-5808
Fax: 1-800-487-5530

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Visit Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) at:

» Like them on Facebook
This company is affiliated with 1 company:This company offers a variety of plants and seeds.

Company Comment, posted on February 15, 2010:
The Burpee company was founded in Philadelphia in 1876 by an 18 year-old with a passion for plants and animals and a mother willing to lend him $1000 dollars of "seed money" to get started in business. Within 25 years he had developed the largest, most progressive seed company in America. By 1915 we were mailing a million catalogues a year to America's gardeners.

Burpee is still a family seed company and still in the Philadelphia area. Today we are owned and operated by George Ball Jr. -

The Burpee Guarantee
We guarantee all products in our catalogue to the full amount of the purchase price. We shall refund your money or provide a replacement, anytime within a year if you are not satisfied.

We guarantee that every online transaction you make will be 100% safe. This means you pay nothing if unauthorized charges are made to your card as a result of shopping at our online store.

If you have any questions or comments, please mail us at Custserv@burpee.com

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive gottfriedg
Dickinson, ND
June 20, 2017
Posted on June 12, 2017, updated June 20, 2017
I contacted Burpee when I received curly parsley instead of the Italian (flat leaf) parsley I ordered. A Burpee representative contacted me quickly in response to my email, noting that I should check the plants for a specific product number. I emailed Burpee back with the only three digits I could find on the plant labels. In my follow-up email, I also included three photographs, one of each of the plants I received, and I noted that the parsley in my photos looks very different than the photograph online at the Burpee site. Unmistakably, the plants I received are curly parsley. I have not had a response to my follow-up email. I contacted Burpee once more through the website, but I have received no response here, either. Buying from Burpee has been something of a family tradition for me, but this kind of customer service response is not OK. I understand how the wrong plants can be sent out from time to time. I don\'t understand being ignored, though.
On June 20th, 2017, gottfriedg changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Burpee contacted me on June 16 to ask if I'd like to have replacement plants or a refund. I appreciate the step they took here, and so I have changed my rating from negative to positive.
Positive LOVIE2
Boston, MA (Zone 6a)
June 5, 2017
Posted on May 3, 2017, updated June 6, 2017
Posted on March 31, 2009, updated May 3, 2017
I always thought highly of Burpee - but Burpee.com has changed that completely!
I placed my order online 3/17, I called to check on the shipping date and the $5 off coupon that did not come of on the online order. I was told on 3/19 that the order \\\"is in the warehouse and would probably\\\" go out by the end of the week (which would have been 3/21) OK fine. I called back on 3/24 because the status online never changed to \\\"shipped\\\".Again I have been told \\\"it\\\'s in the warehouse and will probably go out by the end of the week\\\"
This has been 2 different weeks! This is not acceptable and I requested for this order to be cancelled. The rep that I spoke to then says she will see if she can \\\"catch it\\\" from shipping today. I find it very odd that prior to my requesting a cancellation, the order would ship at the end of the week and now she\\\'s trying to keep it from shipping out today all within the matter of 5 minutes. I felt that Burpee\\\'s reps were making things up as they were going along, as there was a lot of \\\"uh\\\'s and I don\\\'t knows\\\" coming from them. I felt very uncomfortable and demanded the order be cancelled via email on 3/24. I recieved my refund on 3/27. I will never use Burpee.com again as the customer service is not what it should be, and that is not acceptable.

On May 3rd, 2017, LOVIE2 added the following:

I swore off Burpee years ago due to their horrible customer service. I received this years catalog out of the blue and could see from some of the items offered, they are trying to step up their game. I placed an order last night so I\'m chancing it one more time. It\'s a relatively small order (lettuce seed, pak choi seed and 3 rosemary arp plants) but this will be a test order as I\'m looking for new vendors for future needs. Praying this will go well. I\'ll be back to update my review either way.
On June 5th, 2017, LOVIE2 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

So far so good. I have my order and the rosemary looks awesome but I'm questioning if it's a true Arp. They are still alive and healthy looking. Very happy with this order. May add them to my rotation from this season on.
Positive Janna
Mahwah, NJ (Zone 6a)
June 1, 2017
Burpeeís packaging of plants is BY FAR the best Iíve ever seen! I shop online for my plants a lot, and usually get 10+ orders each season.
They do unbelievable job at packaging, itís so smartly designed, easy and super fast to unpack and recycle the cardboard, and the plants are large and healthy and happy with zero damage! None of those annoying peanuts, or shredded paper, or excessive taping... as we all know, just unpacking of plants can be such an unpleasant ordeal... This was just a pure delight, really a pleasure receiving and opening their boxes, admiring healthy plants, and I am looking forward to ordering again next year!
Positive raspberrypicket
Circleville, OH
May 29, 2017
Posted on May 8, 2016, updated May 30, 2017
Posted on May 5, 2014, updated May 8, 2016
Posted on May 3, 2014, updated May 5, 2014
For several years I have purchased Dragon Wing Begonias, tomato plants, perennials and roses from Burpee because I felt they were a good price and quality. For three years in a row the Dragon Wings or perennials were mangled or small and they gladly replaced the items. On Friday 5-3-14 I received a box of Dragon Wings (several weeks before last expected frost) and the plants were mangled. I called and the rep asked how plants could be mangled in the box. I explained it looked like they had been run through a grinder. I took pictures and tried to pull out root balls...The rep was indifferent and I told her I had taken pictures and wanted me to send the pictures or return the plants. I told her I did not want to go to all the trouble and asked for a refund (although I stressed I would really like to have the Dragon Wings. Finally I asked for a full refund and asked for them to stop sending me a catalog.
I will NEVER buy anything from them again. What has happened to this once great company?
On May 5th, 2014, raspberrypicket changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I am very happy to say I want to change my negative rating of Burpee to a positive rating. I spoke to a very nice lady named Helen and she listened to my issues and apologized for the issues I encountered. To be honest I was very surprised and thrilled they took my concerns seriously and worked out all the problems. It is obvious to me when they say they take customer service seriously they really mean it. They listened and took immediate action. I am very thankful for her help and hope to purchase plants and seeds from Burpee in the future!
THANK YOU BURPEE!
On May 8th, 2016, raspberrypicket added the following:

In the past I have had issues with damaged plants, but Burpee was quick to resolve the problems.

This year (Arrived-May 6, 2016) I purchased 12 Dragon Wing Begonias and three Starry Night Petunias.

The plants arrived well packaged and in great shape. The plants were fresh, healthy and nice sized. I have purchased the Dragon Wings for several years because Burpee\'s price is more reasonable than local nurseries. Actually the Dragon Wings shipped were in better shape than a flat I purchased at a local nursery.

I felt the Petunias were a little pricey- three for $23, however I have never seen them offered before and have never seen them for sale in local nurseries.

Over all I was VERY Pleased with my purchase! I hope to buy Dragon Wings in the years to come.

Raspberry Picket-Circleville, Ohio

On May 29th, 2017, raspberrypicket added the following:

Again this year I purchased Dragon Wing Begonias from Burpee. They were well packed and very healthy. I think it is a great price to get 12 plants for $24 bucks. At a local nursery the plants are over $4 a container. The Burpee Dragon Wings are smaller but grow very quickly! I also ordered 3 Condilla double yellow reblooming daylilies and they arrived fresh and green and are flourishing in my garden! I have become a huge fan of the unusual and beautiful Summer Gown Nasturtium. All the seeds I purchased have germinated and are growing nicely in my garden! A few years ago I had some issues with plants arriving smashed and crushed and Burpee generously replaced them and refunded my postage. I hope they continue selling the Dragon Wings at such a good price!
Company representative comment on May 5, 2014:
On May 5, 2014 9:48 AM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

We were very sorry to learn about these problems and have sent a direct message requesting more information so that we can make sure these issues have been resolved. As always, we welcome all feedback from our customers so that we can continue to meet their needs.

Negative jlindblo
Caldwell, ID
May 27, 2017
I opened up a $2.49 pack of Burpee Batchelor Buttons (I had two packs) that I bought at Fred Meyers to cover an area that was about 1' x 2 & 1/2' I had prepared for Summer flowers. Each pack contained no more that 15 seeds (and I'm being generous) ... so the total might cover a foot square ... that is, if they all live. This is about the biggest rip-off I've seen in awhile. I will never buy another pack of Burpee ... of anything. And I'll give them the advertising they deserve.
Neutral Stas88
Greenville, NY
May 13, 2017
They seem to be hit or miss. So far the gooseberries and apricots are coming in. my blackberries on the other hand have not done anything and only two raspberry bushes have started to bud, out of 5 that I planted. So I'll see what happens when the weather gets a little warmer. But I use gurneys and starkbros more than burpee because the quality of live plants seems to be better.
Neutral pugetblooms
Port Orchard, WA
May 8, 2017
I have to agree with the comments that say Burpee doesn't pack well. I placed two separate orders last spring, one with blueberry plants and some bare root raspberries, one with blueberries, lilacs, huecheras, and bare root strawberries. In both orders, I noticed the plants were smaller than my usual mail order plants, and they were not packed well. I had the most issues with my Burpee plants, with my lilac dying and strawberries not working out and some raspberries not ever growing. Also, the blueberries have struggled and are still small, with one dying. We have ordered from at least 5 different mail order nurseries and Burpee had the worst outcome for us. We thought the big name would do the best. But nope!
Positive Kirby1864
Knoxville, TN
April 7, 2017
I want to know what Burpee puts on their plants? I ordered numerous plants from burpee, I must say I was disappointed when I received them via Fed-ex. I was expecting bigger plants for what I paid for. I got angry and said I'd never order from Burpee again! Was I wrong, it's been 3 weeks since my order arrived,and I'm glad to say I planted exactly as the instructions said. I can tell you that at 3 weeks my blueberry bushes have grown about 3 inches the 25 strawberry plants I have planted are taking off like there's no tomorrow, they already have flowers and runners. I was so impressed I canceled from Stark Bro's. and re orederd from Burpee today! And I plan to order from Burpee in the future!
Negative grjmmr
Marion, IA
August 4, 2016
I normally grow from seed in my hydroponics system but 2 years ago I got started too late. So I ordered from Burpee and was amazed by their immense selection they have. The problem is, when I received my starter plants, they were puny almost dead looking things and I lost almost ĺís of them after transplant. This year I tried again but as soon I received the puny pathetic plants I dropped them into my hydroponics system. This helped a little as I was able to feed them right away and I only lost about a ľ of my plants. But selection means nothing if the plants wonít survive. I live in grow zone 5, so maybe my problem is I am getting the last of their plants, that is, all the good ones have been shipped previously. My starter plants that I got from Earl May are dwarfing the Burpee plants, so next I will just buy everything from them.
Company representative comment on August 5, 2016:
On Aug 5, 2016 8:34 AM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

We are very sorry to hear about this customer's unfortunate experience with our plants. Our plants are not recommended to be grown hydroponically. If customers want to grow our products hydroponically we recommend they grow them from seed. We have reached out to this customer to address the issue of his/her receiving unsatisfactory plants. We appreciate hearing of his/her experience.

Neutral mike6710301
Staten Island, NY
June 14, 2016
Last year I would have happily given them a positive, but what a difference a year makes. For what they charge I expect plants that grow.

First, the seed I got had a poor germination rate, then once germinated had poor top growth, and, as I recently found out, poor root growth. So I won't buy seed from them again.

Second, some of their perennials are growing well, but most have languished. The perennials I bought from them last year died over winter despite being native and hardy for my zone.

Third, I bought a six-pack of petunias. When UPS delivered them the plants were all out of the six pack. It looked like UPS had played soccer with the package. This is party Burpee's fault since they should package them to prevent this. Only 2 of the six have survived.

Since the plants I bought from them this year are doing about 50/50, I am giving them a Neutral.
Company representative comment on June 15, 2016:
On Jun 15, 2016 1:30 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

We are sorry to hear that this customer experienced poor germination with our seed, and received poor quality plants as well. We value his feedback and we have reached out to him to see what happened and how we can help.

Negative marybyoung
Medford, MA
May 26, 2016
I ordered three dahlia showtime plants from Burpee. When they arrived, I unpacked them and set them in a sheltered place outdoors to acclimate. When I checked back two days later, the leaves were developing powdery mildew, which grew worse by the day. I called Burpee customer service and they offered to replace the plants. They arrived today looking HORRIBLE. 2 of the three had broken off near the soil line and the third was very beat up, with soil scattered all over and roots exposed.

I called again and they said they'd refund my $$, but that really doesn't assuage my anger. How can they send out diseased plants or ship plants in packaging that clearly doesn't do the job??? I have ordered online from many nurseries, so I know that plants can be shipped and arrive intact. None of those nurseries sent plants that were diseased. Where's your company pride, Burbee? You should be ashamed of yourselves. That's a 100-year old brand you're destroying.

Company representative comment on May 27, 2016:
On May 27, 2016 12:18 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

We were very sorry to read about this customer's two disappointing experiences with her dahlias this spring. We have reached out to her so we can research the problems further and see how we may minimize future occurrences. We always appreciate hearing from our customers about their experiences with our products, shipping and customer service, and find this feedback to be very valuable.

Neutral Johntk
Tulsa, OK
May 18, 2016
Posted on April 27, 2016, updated May 19, 2016
Ordered some live plants that arrived as an untaped box of spilled dirt on my porch and a rapidly receding UPS truck. I was able to salvage 4 of 6 ornamental grass plants but 2 Eragrostis were beyond help. I contacted Burpee via e-mail, no response. By phone, endless hold. The upshot? High prices, unresponsive customer service and no shipping oversight. In fact, the only thing Burpee seems to excel at these days is charging customers\' credit cards and filling their in-boxes with spam. This is not the company it used to be.
On May 18th, 2016, Johntk changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

To be fair, Burpee became more responsive after this post and they got the situation resolved. Only going as high as neutral, though, because it should never have come to this.
Company representative comment on May 2, 2016:
On May 2, 2016 1:41 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

We were very concerned to read about this customer's disappointing experience with our products, and with our customer service. We do respond to every email we receive and have reached out to the customer to encourage him to try again so we can replace or issue a refund for the eragrostis that were damaged. We are committed to providing top quality products and services to our customers and we are very sorry that this problem occurred with this order.

Negative cherylhughey
Fenton, MO
May 18, 2016
Burpee has revamped their online system. It would appear that if you have been a customer with Burpee that you may have challenges gaining access to your account history. (As an avid gardener, knowing what I purchased in the past is very important.) I tried to view my history on May 1, but remember seeing some sort of note that account histories were not available, but I could request to receive my history. Thus, I sent a note to the email provided. I did not hear back and sent another message last night. I tried to logon today, but either forgot my password or it is not longer working. Here is the message that popped up from Burpee.com.

"The "Forgot Password" function can only be used if you created an account on our website after January 19, 2016.

Any account created prior is no longer valid due to the re-launch of Burpee.com.

We're sorry but you will need to create a brand new account and re-register your email address."

Company representative comment on May 19, 2016:
On May 19, 2016 5:25 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but the new Burpee.com website required us to start fresh with new user account information. Our customers are required to create a brand new account for future orders with their email addresses and password. The reset password is not valid, unless customers created an account after 1/19/16 on our website.

All orders placed online before the new site launch on Tues 1/19/16 are still in our database, however they cannot be viewed online in prior account order histories. Our Customer Service department can assist any customer with any order information he or she need from orders that were placed prior to the web launch, or from prior years.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate this customer's feedback.

Positive GrowingNVegas
Las Vegas, NV (Zone 9a)
May 15, 2016
This spring I placed an order for two "Sunshine Blue" and one "Misty" blueberry plants. When my order arrived the two "Sunshine Blue" plants looked great. The third plant looked a little rough; some dry and dead falling leaves and was a "Jersey" blueberry. Jersey blueberries are zoned 3-7 and I live in zone 9. This might explain why the third plant looked rough.
I contacted Customer Service through E-mail to let them know I received the wrong plant. They responded in less than 24 hours, were polite and helpful. The customer service representive asked for a photo of the plant (I included the label) and I received the correct blueberry plant within a week. It arrived in excellent condition.
Positive rokonrae
Battle Ground, WA
May 9, 2016
From February to March (I placed 5 orders) I ordered several seed packets along with 16 live tomato plants and 9 live pepper plants. I received them via UPS in large boxes. Their condition is spectacular. They are quite tall, slightly bent over in their plastic shipping enclosures, but look healthy. The seeds I ordered all came a week or so after my order was placed. One specific type of tomato plant I ordered 4 of, came super leggy and very limp. The plants needed sunlight, oxygen and water. Theyíve been in the garden outside for about 2 weeks and are dong spectacular.

My only problem with Burpee was with ordering onions. Firstly, for my zone (#8) onions were to begin shipping March 11. I ordered Walla Walla onions on March 22. After that it took 2 Ĺ weeks to get to me. I called Burpee a week and a half after I placed my order to see what was going on. Apparently my onions were coming from a vendor in Texas and it takes 2-3 weeks to prepare the order. Okay. If I had known that I would not have ordered onions from Burpee. The next day, after I called, the onions shipped and were delivered in great condition. Secondly, I clicked on the bulb option on the Burpee website and I got onion starts. Which is okay, I just wanted to try something new. Oh well. Also, Burpee Customer Service... if you email them a question or concern you will not receive an answer. Call if you need anything. Unfortunately, Iím pretty sure I got them in the ground too late so they will not bulb up. Next year Iíll purchase onions from a different company because this was a waste of time and money.

Nonetheless, regarding the live plants, I am surprised that mine came in such great condition since there are sooo many complaints about live plants being delivered dead. Mine were/are very much so alive and doing great. Also, I donít mind the price. I bought 9 different kinds of tomato plants, from hybrids to heirlooms from Burpee this year. I realize that buying from your local nursery or farm store is a little cheaper than Burpee but at my local stores you canít find this many different varieties, so to me, the price was fair. Also, for all five of my orders that I placed this year I never had to pay for shipping. They always have a free-shipping coupon or a 20% off coupon, which is great.

I would recommend ordering from Burpee and I will be ordering more from them next year!
Neutral soclustico
Seattle, WA
April 12, 2016
More than a 2 week delay in shipment, would not have ordered if I had known that would be the case.
Company representative comment on April 14, 2016:
On Apr 14, 2016 9:33 AM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

We were sorry to read about this customer's disappointment in our shipping time. We have reached out to him so we can determine what happened with his order. Many of our products, including live plants, are shipped according to the customer's hardiness zone, which could explain the delay.

Negative linuxbob
Wichita, KS
April 6, 2016
This year I placed my first (and last) order with Burpee for 20 raspberry plants. At first all seemed just fine and my plants shipped on the expected date. Their website states 3 day shipping and that they don't ship orders on Thursday. I received my shipment notification and noticed that it was THURSDAY and had a delivery date of Tuesday, 4 days. When I emailed customer service I was told that my order was probably being prepared for shipment and hadn't actually left yet. After I provided the tracking number I was told that yes, it had shipped but it would be 3 business days. When I advised the representative that my order had a Tuesday delivery date the rep changed her mind and stated that it was actually going to take 4 days and not 3. Well, that meant that since it shipped Thursday it would be in the truck or at the dock somewhere for the entire weekend. My plants arrived at the first UPS destination on Saturday morning and stayed there for 12 hours. Then on Monday they arrived in my city early morning and were not delivered until late Tuesday afternoon. Burpee assured me that my plants were guaranteed and would be replaced if the didn't live. So, now I wait for a month to see if they live and by then bare root season has ended. So much for fruit next year if they don't live. Very discouraging. No more ordering from Burpee.
Company representative comment on April 9, 2016:
On Apr 9, 2016 1:38 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

We were sorry to hear that this customer was disappointed in our service and that there was confusion about the shipping dates. We have reached out to him to see if we can help. We do guarantee our products and will replace the plants or issue a refund if they do not grow. As these are shipped dormant and were in shipping for only a few days, we feel it is likely that they will break dormancy and thrive this year.

Neutral doowop
Ferguson, NC
March 30, 2016
I've started keeping my empty Burpee seed packs after a couple of incidents when the seeds were not true to type and the testy customer service rep wouldn't even offer an apology without the seed lot numbers. If you buy from Burpee, save the packs! Other than that, I've had decent experiences with them, although, considering their prices, their service could be better. Some of their seeds are actually pretty good, others are so-so.
Company representative comment on March 30, 2016:
On Mar 30, 2016 4:25 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

We have reached out to this customer to apologize for the disappointing experience he/she had with our customer service representative. Our representatives are trained to ask for lot numbers for seed issues because we research every such report in order to determine what happened so we can prevent it from happening again. But we also train our representatives to make it clear that this is only for quality control purposes, and if the customer cannot provide it for whatever reason, that will in no way prevent him/her from receiving a prompt refund or replacement, according to our guarantee. It is disturbing to us to hear that any of our representatives was unprofessional and we appreciate hearing about it if it does happen.

Negative shell79
Wellston, OH
February 25, 2016
I placed an order for 5 plants on the 4th of July 2015, I waited and waited, never received anything so I checked my account on the burpee page and it said they would ship my order at the best time for planting in my area. They charged my credit card the day or the very next day, but I never saw my plants until September! I could have been enjoying them for 2-3 months. When I did receive them, they were all stuffed into a little box, that I thought only held 1-2 plants max. Oh no! all 5 were stuffed in and dry. I did not get what I paid for. My neighbor said Burpee was the best and that if I wanted to get some great plants, that was the place to order from...NEVER AGAIN! I would have understood waiting if id placed my order in December or January, but it was July! Now ive got to wait until spring to see if this mess of dried leaves and twigs are really just sleeping or if they were dead when I received them. Now im on the hunt for another online nursery that I might actually receive what I pay for.
Company representative comment on February 29, 2016:
On Feb 29, 2016 2:48 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

We were very sorry to learn that this customer was unhappy with the delivery time of the perennial plants he/she ordered. We have reached out to the customer and explained our shipping schedule, and to remind him/her that all our products are guaranteed.
We ship live perennial plants in late winter/early spring, or fall. We do not ship in the heat of summer, nor the coldest time in winter, because the plants would not be likely to survive shipments, and because the best time to plant perennials is in cool conditions, and preferably as dormant plants. The ground should be workable in winter and not frozen solid, and nighttime temperatures should be cooler in fall to give the plants the best chance to adapt to garden conditions. We include shipping schedules on our website and with order confirmations, and when a customer calls to place an order over the phone. We are sorry that this information was not effectively conveyed to this customer.
As always our products are guaranteed to grow if they are planted according to directions at the proper time.

Positive Lilyhazen
Ellijay, GA
February 17, 2016
Posted on February 6, 2015, updated February 17, 2016
Burpee has good seeds, but takes entirely too long to get them to the customer, especially considering their prices!
On February 17th, 2016, Lilyhazen changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

MUCH quicker turn around time this year! Order was here in a week!

Must also comment on the seeds from last year. I put out a lot of Super Sauce and Big Mama tomato plants I started from your seed, and they did splendidly. In July I had to have open heart surgery and my two neighbors who worked in my garden were inundated with these tomatoes! They canned and gave away so many because they couldn't keep up with it! Thanks for those great seeds!
Company representative comment on February 7, 2015:
On Feb 7, 2015 9:59 AM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

We are grateful for the kind words about our seeds, but sorry to hear that your seed order took a long time to receive. These items usually ship within a few days from our warehouse if we have the product in stock. Plants are shipped at the proper planting time from our nursery. In addition, we sell a wide range of seed varieties in local retail stores. We have reached out to you so that we can look into what may have caused any delays for you.

Positive Annakari
Campbell, OH (Zone 5b)
August 23, 2015
I have been ordering seeds and plants from Burpee for years. I am always disappointed in the live plants, which are sadly much smaller than I expected and sometimes I can kill them much easier than I expect. I have had a LOT of luck with their ferns though, and most of their bulbs.

*** I am a terrible gardener, but have been getting much better these past few years***

So far, I am going to say their seeds are AWESOME. Compared to the four other brands I have bought, most of the time their seeds not only germinate, but last longer than expected.

However, don't buy the Stevie seeds unless you are an expert gardener. Don't buy live plants unless you are at least an experienced gardener. They need more help than some other places.

I have never contacted their customer service before, and I don't know if they would help with the problems.
Negative garyontheweb
New Ipswich, NH
August 3, 2015
For many years, at least twenty, I have ordered Burpee Flower and Vegetable seeds. This year is the first year I've had a problem, well two problems. Penta (flowering annual) seeds which did not germinate, although I was meticulous with directions. No big problem, I really didn't care much about that. BUT, I ordered good old Sweet 100 cherry tomato seeds, among others, like I have done for a long time. I typically germinate about twenty sweet 100 plants, greenhouse them to about 15 inches, and give all but two to friends. The two I grew this year had GOLF BALL size tomatoes which were, in my wife's opinion, not too sweet. I felt the same way. Well I complained to Customer Service who referred me to Horticulture, and I sent them photo's of the plants, the ripened fruit, and the lot number on the packet. They returned the price of the seed packet, and postage. What do I tell the friends who got the other plants? Sorry? Is there a QA problem? Someone leave the hybridizing unit door open?
Company representative comment on August 4, 2015:
On Aug 4, 2015 8:35 AM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

We were very sorry to hear of this customer's experience with our Sweet 100 tomatoes and appreciate his letting us know. The information he provided will help our quality control team will research the problem and try to determine the cause.

Positive gardenkarma
Allston, MA
July 3, 2015
Not everything goes smoothly in any walk of life, gardening included. Good experiences with this company overall. Not particularly fond of paying so much for certain 4-inch plants (e.g. unique berries), but they are definitely grow-ers if not show-ers. Had a mixup with my order (shipped wrong product) that caused me not to get my strawberry until the following spring, but, once it arrived (healthy, albeit tiny), it was planted and, without any regard to my expectations, grew with gusto. Don't judge a plant by its top, I suppose.
Positive iceman49
Saint Paul, MN
June 19, 2015
First time order from Burpee, ordered Lewisia on sale. The plants were fantastic large plants with a great root system. Very pleased.
Negative PaulMc
Indianapolis,
United States
June 1, 2015
I live in zone 5. I ordered 9 tomato plants and 6 pepper plants, total over $100, on May 4th. I called several times asking for a shipping date. Customer service could not tell me even approximately when my plants would ship. I finally received an email from UPS on May 26th telling me that my plants had shipped. I never received any communication from Burpee regarding shipping. The plants arrived on May 28th. They were ridiculously small. I completely understand why neither the website nor customer service can tell you shipping dates. No one would order from them. Their plants are over priced, but I wanted to give them a try, thinking it might be worth it. Not only were the plants a disappointment, they cost me almost a month of growing time. I will never order plants from them again, unless they provide actual shipping dates on their website.
Company representative comment on June 1, 2015:
On Jun 1, 2015 5:15 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

We were very to hear of this customer\'s disappointment with his order and the challenges he faced finding out when it would be shipped. We have reached out to him. Such feedback regarding the information we provide and the quality of the products we ship is very helpful to us as we are constantly look for ways to improve our products and the quality of our service.

On Jun 1, 2015 5:19 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) added:

We were very sorry to hear of this customer's disappointment with his order and the challenges he faced finding out when it would be shipped. We have reached out to him to make sure the plants are of good quality and grow for him. Such feedback regarding the information we provide and the quality of the products we ship is very helpful to us as we are constantly look for ways to improve our products and the quality of our service

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/special/rebuttal.php?cid...

Negative sandy923
Pittsburgh, PA
May 27, 2015
I ordered tomatoes and peppers on May 7 and received an email on approximately May 12 stating that my order had been picked and would be sent when it was time to plant in my zone. My zone is 6 and according to their website they have been shipping to zone 6 for about 2 weeks. I called to ask when I could expect to receive my plants on May 20 and was told they would "probably" ship the next day. Still had not received on May 26 so I called again and was told exactly the same thing. When I explained that I had been told that on the 20th and needed to know exactly when they would ship, I was told that no one in the company could answer that question but that "the truck" went out with the day's shipment and mine were not on it. When I politely stated that a more specific answer was needed at this point, I was hung up on. Apparently they don't have a shipping schedule. The lady I spoke with was very unconcerned and seemed to be annoyed that I would even call and could not care less if customers are satisfied. This is their customer service. Never, never again will I purchase from Burpee.
Company representative comment on May 27, 2015:
On May 27, 2015 11:56 AM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

We are very concerned to hear of this customer's disappointing experience with our Customer Service department and have reached out to see how we may resolve the issues s/he describes. Excellent customer service is top priority at Burpee. We appreciate any feedback that will help us to improve and maintain the highest level of customer care.

Positive merrydancer
Vancouver, WA
May 12, 2015
Strawberry plants arrived in EXCELLENT condition!

I ordered 3 purple wonder strawberry plants and then happen to read all the negative comments here. My initial thought was... I just wasted $34.

But to my surprise... the plants arrived in excellent condition!

Each plant was PLANTED in a 4" pot. The packing in the box protected the tops of each plant and kept the dirt from falling out of the pots. Genius! Plants I have bought and carried home from a store have had more damage than these plants!

The dirt was still moist after 7 day shipping period.

Their communication was excellent. I was sent an email with tracking number and expected arrival the day the plants were sent.

Plants were shipped within the time period described on their website.

VERY happy!

Negative gerardtn
El Paso, TX
April 14, 2015
Each year it is something different wrong with my order. While the plants are usually good, there is almost always something wrong.

Next year I will try to find the products I want elsewhere.
Company representative comment on April 16, 2015:
On Apr 16, 2015 4:37 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

We are very sorry to hear that this customer has had repeated disappointing experiences with his orders. We have reached out to him and hope that every issue will be resolved by our customer service department.

Positive trackinsand
mid central, FL (Zone 9a)
April 2, 2015
oh, i was skeptical and really didn't look forward to ordering here but they seemed to be the only online supplier of Salvia 'Wendy's Wish' at the moment.
i ordered one plant on march 29 and it arrived today, april 2. it was healthy, with a very good root system and packed well.
i'm very pleased.
Positive manuretea
Medina, OH (Zone 5b)
March 26, 2015
Posted on February 27, 2015, updated March 26, 2015
Posted on February 25, 2015, updated February 27, 2015
Posted on February 24, 2015, updated February 25, 2015
Posted on February 21, 2015, updated February 24, 2015
I try to help out a local food bank garden. I received an email for free shipping on Presidents\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' Day. I have used their seeds more than any other company in the past. I did not hesitate to order some Espoma biotone liquid. They have great products. I couldn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t find the same product elsewhere so I called Espoma. They said they hadn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t manufactured the product for 7-8 years and it the good bacteria was only viable for 2 or three years. I called customer service back within minutes of placing the order to cancel it. They told me it would be awhile before I was refunded my money-it was already out of my checking account. Still no refund!
On February 24th, 2015, manuretea added the following:

I have called many times and was told I needed to wait at least a week for a refund to show up. I have furnished Burpee with my order number numerous times as well as my debit card numbers. Burpee has admitted they have not refunded my money.

On February 25th, 2015, manuretea added the following:

Received refund this morning, credit back to debit
On February 27th, 2015, manuretea changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Thank you for refunding my money. The gift card you are sending will be used for the community food bank garden.
On March 26th, 2015, manuretea changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I placed a new order for red wiggler worms which come from Pa. Uncle Jim's. They arrived quickly and in great shape. They will we used for Feeding Medina County to improve the community garden soil there. Many Thanks!
Company representative comment on February 24, 2015:
On Feb 24, 2015 5:18 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

Dear Burpee Customer,

We apologize that this situation has occurred with your order. It appears that this product was listed in error on our website, and we have had this item pulled from our product selection online and all items have been discarded. Please know that this kind of situation has never occurred before with our company. At this time we have reached out to you via DMAIL so we can get obtain your order information and ensure that you are refunded accordingly. Please, can you contact our customer service team as soon as possible so we may resolve this situation for you? Thank you again for alerting us to this problem, and we apologize for any inconvenience this situation may have caused you.

Negative Lilconner
Mineral, VA
March 20, 2015
I ordered 2 perennials for my central Virginia garden in Feb. One was a Clematis :Henry , not an unusual variety to grow.
On March 15th,I received two anemic 3 inch potted plants ,neither of which was marked as to name,, and sent 2 months before my last frost date. I paid $16.95 for this 3 inch plant.
I called customer service to report the poor quality and size of these plants. I was thinking they were using an outside grower who was shipping plants out early and immature. They were not. Their horticulture group responded to me with basically a shrug of the shoulders and told me to plant them NOW. They wouldn't be damaged.
maybe not but when I am paying $16.95 for a common 3 inch plant, I will baby it. I wont be buying any live plants from them again...and this after 10 years as a customer.
Company representative comment on March 23, 2015:
On Mar 23, 2015 5:29 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

We were sorry to learn that you were disappointed in the size of the plants you received, and in the timing when you received them. We do recommend planting perennials such as clematis in a semi dormant state, before the last frost, so they can establish strong roots before they produce top growth. These plants should live for years and produce strong vines and lovely flowers year after year. If they do not grow, as for all our products, they are guaranteed and we will issue a refund. As always, we appreciate your feedback.

Negative Jnette
Northeast, WA (Zone 5a)
March 13, 2015
Posted on March 13, 2015, updated March 13, 2015
Posted on August 23, 2012, updated March 13, 2015
I have had very good experiences with Burpee this year. I had a problem with some seeds I had ordered from them, but I knew these particular seeds were difficult to start, and they were. But, I wrote to Burpee and Zachary replaced them immediately. Then I had a problem with those because the thermostat on my heating mat over heated and cooked them. Zachary replaced those also.

This spring I ordered a new Honey Suckle, Major Wheeler, a red one, and when it bloomed it came out yellow. I wrote, and Colleen is having a Red one sent. She gave me my option of that or a refund.

I find Burdpee a very good company to do business with. They stand behind their service guarantees. Thanks Colleen, Jeanette
On March 13th, 2015, Jnette added the following:

No. That was last year. The red \"Major Wheeler\" if it was Major Wheeler, didn\'t bloom.
Both last year and this year I have googled Scaevola Seeds and even tho there was a lot of posts under that on Google, Burpee was the only ones that specifically said they DID have the seeds. When I went to order them, the \"seeds\" were plants for over $20. No seeds. I wrote and told Burpee about this and she said at some point they did have seeds for Scaevola but no longer had any. Well they have had them in their catalogs for the last 2 years. Come on Burpee!! How long does it take to change a catalog? As far as that goes, how many years have you said you had them and didn\'t? I just happened to want them the last 2 years. Jeanette

On March 13th, 2015, Jnette changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

That rating should have been changed from positive to Negative. I cannot believe for the prices they charge that they cannot seem to get their act together. Almost every other rating in 2013 was Negative. Jeanette
Company representative comment on March 14, 2015:
On Mar 14, 2015 9:38 AM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

We welcome feedback from our customers and appreciate your disappointment that we do not offer scaevola as seed. We have not offered this as seed for some years, and checking back in our catalogues from 2012 to the present it has only been listed as plants. When you google a product unfortunately sometimes the posts that appear are outdated and may not reflect the current offerings of our company. We recommend checking our website directly, as these are our most current offerings.

Regarding the honeysuckle, these long lived perennial vines may take a year or two to bloom. The first year it is essential that they establish a strong root system. As long as the location is good and they are growing well, they will bloom in a year or two, and for many years thereafter.

We have reached out to Jeannette via D Mail.

Neutral designwell
Altoona, PA
March 5, 2015
Posted on February 26, 2015, updated March 5, 2015
I have been a customer of this company since the early 1980\'s, and have always found them to be a good source of seed and and having a very good selection. My problem is, starting about six years ago I noticed their prices rapidly increasing, much more than the other 20 or so companies I order from. It is now at the point where Burpee seed cost is more than double, sometimes triple, the price for the same exact seed varieties from all other sources! I don\'t see how they can stay in business with this practice, with most of their seeds costing 5 to six dollars a pack!!! I now order the bulk of my seeds from Jung\'s seed company and several others, who have much more reasonable prices! Check your catalog prices folks, and you will do as I and many of my friends have done, switch!!! Why pay so much more for the same seed?
On March 5th, 2015, designwell changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

While I still think you have a great selection and are all in all a great company, the price issue is still a sore spot for so many people I know and myself! In regards to your response, what I read is that apparently the 20 or so other companies I deal with must know how to manage their business costs 100 to 200 percent better than Burpee, if that is how the seed prices are arrived at! Also, I have noticed that the seed count for the others is mostly the same or perhaps even a little more than Burpee's seed packets. Any one with the catalogs can easily verify this. While I am not pleased at all with the price of your catalog seeds, I have no choice but to order the varieties I can not find elsewhere. I only wish you could lower the prices or offer more discounts!
Company representative comment on February 27, 2015:
On Feb 27, 2015 2:41 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

Burpeeís prices, as with any business, are determined by our costs. This covers research and plant breeding for new and better varieties, production, warehousing, and catalog and distribution expenses. Some varieties are more expensive to produce, and our prices will reflect this.

Burpee sells seed in retail stores, online and through our catalog. When comparing our prices with those of other seed companies for the identical seed variety, or even our retail with our catalog/website prices, the seed count must also be taken into consideration. Typically our retail seed packets contain fewer seeds than our direct mail seed, to reflect different customer needs. We feel there is a market to offer seed for sale through both channels of distribution. Customers can then choose the method of purchase which is the most convenient and satisfying for them. We hope our customers will look at their total order cost, value, quality and our guarantee for customer satisfaction, and feel our pricing is fair.

Thank you for your feedback, as always we appreciate feedback from our customers.

Negative gravelydude
Cullowhee, NC
October 3, 2014
I ordered four different kinds of garlic bulbs for planting to expand my varieties of garlic. One was "Kettle River Giant", which was supposed to have a diameter "up to 4" ". All were 2" or less. In addition, I ordered Burpee's "Best Garlic Collection", which was supposed to be an assortment of three different kinds of garlic. All of the bulbs of the "collection" were lumped into one bag, and were not distinguishable from each other. I E-mailed Burpee these concerns, along with pictures of the bulbs of garlic, and one clove pulled loose from each bulb. The response from Burpee was perfunctory, and ignored most of my questions. I will most likely never order from Burpee again. I am convinced that mistakes were made in packing my order; but no attempt to rectify was made by Burpee customer service. I seriously doubt that anyone even looked at the pictures that we took of the garlic. Obviously, there are better sources for garlic out there!
Company representative comment on October 3, 2014:
On oct 3, 2014 12:54 , Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

We apologize for your experience with our garlic and for how your complaint was handled. We have reached out to you directly to help you identify the garlic varieties, and to offer an adjustment to your order. We appreciate your feedback and are grateful for the chance to address your concerns.

Neutral 35811
Huntsville, AL
August 7, 2014
In 2013 I ordered a new Sorbia Sem that showed delicate multicolored leaves, and what was then also a new hardy hibiscus - the midnight variety with dark red/maroon leaves and deep red blooms.
I also ordered several Echinacea for the goldfinches...
In what appears to have been a different order, my husband bought me the Ghost fern / Athyrium.

I noticed that when the Sorbia arrived, it was green. As it grew, it never resembled the image of what I had ordered. All green. I contacted the company with photos, who verified I had been sent another variety, and they offered to ship a new plant at the appropriate planting time. Very well. Worth waiting to get what I'd planned on for that spot in the garden...
The second plant, after arriving, displayed the same traits as the first. All green. Again, not what I ordered. Now I have two, and they are doing well...but not what I ordered, or wanted.
The hibiscus had arrived dormant, so I had to wait and see what that was going to do this year. It sprouted green leaves.
Not supposed to be green leaves. I waited...all green leaves.
Clearly again not the plant I ordered.
Blooms are now forming, so I will soon know what color the flower is, and I am hoping this IS a hardy variety, since it spent the winter inside my greenhouse but it now in the ground.

I have sent another email to customer service with more pictures of what I got, and what I didn't.

All the coneflower died in the ground over the winter, despite my older 'local' plantings having survived.

The only thing I can report as being successful is the Ghost fern. A very slow grower and needing a bit of coddling, it has filled out and looks lovely - true to the image shown on their website.
Neutral soaringardener
Soap Lake, WA
June 25, 2014
I gave a neutral experience, because it was not positive and most of the situation was resolved.Bought about $90.00 worth of seed online, and started some indoors. most sprouted, the seeds I planted out doors first of may with temps in 80's ,Corn , watermelon cantalope and honeydew, was poor to no germination, only 2 varieties of corn were reasonable, early sunglow and golden bataam, the peaches and cream was nothing as was all the melons. My garden is all set up with drip irragation on timers and the weather was in the 80's the ground was kept moist and plenty of heat, we live in a semi desert area of the columbia basin in central washington, an agriculture area and the corn was planted the same time as the commercial growers , their fields all did good, my garden was a disaster. contacted burpee and they immediately refunded $55.00 of my order, but that does not fix the lost time, and I have replanted with a different brand of seed, so we will see. WHY so much problem with germination??? I have gardened all my life,I am retired, and I have never had this much problem getting seeds to germinate ! ! ! any body else have that problem???
Positive cathyleal
Mansfield, MA
June 21, 2014
Very positive. I love gardening and have a half acre garden. I placed a large order with Burpee and I was very happy when they plant arrived strong, healthy and well packaged. The prices are a little higher but it was well worth it. I have done a lot of mail ordering and this has been the best.
Neutral rivermare
Lincoln, CA
June 3, 2014
My first experience buying plants online was with Burpee. My colleague highly recommended this site to me so I purchased a number of plants amounting to almost $500. I shouldn't have but the pretty pictures on their website and a number of positive reviews here made me think that was ok.
First disappointment was that the plants that arrived were small. Not all items had indicated sizes on their website but based on the price I expected at least 4'-6" pots, or equivalent plant size for most of them. No. A lot are 2.5" baby plants, some bare roots (which is fine but I was not expecting it) and a couple of really expensive ones were 4". $34 for a 4" starter plant. Not a good deal.
Second disappointment, a lot of the plants were not ready to be shipped. This should have been made clear. I received plants late spring to early summer, at least a month after I ordered, because apparently they were still growing them. If that was the case I would prefer to have known about it so I know not to order it. I waited 2 months for some plants that came to me so young they did not survive the trip. They sent a replacement for one of them and refunded the rest. The replacement looked exactly the same and died the same way. I did not bother writing again. I've sent several e-mails before and I am just tired.
I was told that this company was a good seed place. I did not buy any seeds from them so I cannot comment if that was really their specialty. All I know is that they are not the best source of live plants. For the prices they charged, you could get 4x the size elsewhere.
Negative Bowmore38
Glendale, AZ
May 20, 2014
Apparently, it is always a mixed bag with Burpee. I rated them NEGATIVE because the last two experiences were negative, with another really BIG negative not too long before that. Here's the breakdown of my walk down Burpee Lane:

Positive - Ordered two packets of cucumbers and some gourds. Everything arrived in good shape, and the cukes germinated well. (Gourds not planted yet because I like them fresh and ready for fall, but I'm sure they're fine.)

Positive - Ordered a packet of hot cherry peppers and a packet of pole beans. Again, everything went fine.

BIG Negative - Two successful orders, so I placed a larger order of melons, squash, and a few varieties of tomatoes and peppers. Big mistake. The thin cardboard envelope had no padding. Something in the handling or shipping process squished the larger seeds to bits, and the smaller seeds had come out of their packets and were all muddled together.

Positive - Before receiving the Smashed Seed Surprise, I had ordered a packet of swiss chard and and one of bush beans. Again, smaller order, nice padded envelope, all was well.

Positive - I sent an email about the Seed Mash. Got a very quick response. "Deb" at Burpee offered to replace or refund the melons, squash, tomatoes, and peppers, my choice. I asked for replacements.

Negative - When I got the notification of the reshipment, the Gold Standard Hybrid sweet pepper wasn't available. They didn't make any special mention of that fact. I just noticed it because it was listed as OUT OF STOCK on the credit for the old order, and was missing from the shipping list for the new order. They didn't offer me a different yellow sweet pepper, or offer to notify me when it was back in stock. Just... nothing. No gold peppers for you.

Negative - I still wasn't completely disillusioned with Burpee, so when I received an offer for $2 shipping using the code FLAT136, I decided to place an order. I needed some sunflower seeds, and was intrigued by the "sunflower forest" idea. I got my order together, sunflowers and a few other items, went to check out, and... COUPON CODE EXPIRED. I looked at the fine print, and sure enough, it said "expires 05/19/2014 11:59 p.m. ET." That's 8:59 p.m. here in Arizona. After a very busy day, I finally had time to place my order, and... No discount shipping for you because you live in the Wild West! I can't say that my failure to scrutinize the fine print and the subsequent time wasted is Burpee's fault. I can, however, say that most of their competitors are more considerate of those of us west of the Mississippi, even at the risk of a few East Coast insomniacs getting cheap shipping in the wee hours.

Unknown - Before this latest disappointment, I ordered a packet of radishes and a packet of carrots. I'm sure everything will be skippy-dandy, and just as sure that I believe this is the end of my relationship with Burpee and their time-sucking inconsistency and unreliability.
Company representative comment on May 21, 2014:
On May 21, 2014 1:10 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

We apologize for the issues you have encountered with your orders and have reached out to you through D mail to make sure that everything has been resolved.

We always appreciate feedback from our customers and welcome every opportunity to meet their needs.

Positive BerryPatch78
Cresaptown-Bel Air, MD
May 17, 2014
This is my first year starting a garden. I ordered some tomato seeds and bare root strawberry plants. The strawberries came much sooner than I expected, but I hurried and got the bed ready, and now (6 weeks later) they are blooming up a storm. Only 2 of the 50 have died.

The tomato seeds had a pretty good germination rate, and seem healthy so far.

Overall, very satisfied.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]