The scoop on 'Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee)'

Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee)

300 Park Ave.
Warminster, Pennsylvania 18974 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-333-5808
Fax: 1-800-487-5530

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Visit Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) at:

» Like them on Facebook
This company is affiliated with 1 company:This company offers a variety of plants and seeds.

Company Comment, posted on February 15, 2010:
The Burpee company was founded in Philadelphia in 1876 by an 18 year-old with a passion for plants and animals and a mother willing to lend him $1000 dollars of "seed money" to get started in business. Within 25 years he had developed the largest, most progressive seed company in America. By 1915 we were mailing a million catalogues a year to America's gardeners.

Burpee is still a family seed company and still in the Philadelphia area. Today we are owned and operated by George Ball Jr. -

The Burpee Guarantee
We guarantee all products in our catalogue to the full amount of the purchase price. We shall refund your money or provide a replacement, anytime within a year if you are not satisfied.

We guarantee that every online transaction you make will be 100% safe. This means you pay nothing if unauthorized charges are made to your card as a result of shopping at our online store.

If you have any questions or comments, please mail us at Custserv@burpee.com

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative gravelydude
Cullowhee, NC
October 3, 2014
I ordered four different kinds of garlic bulbs for planting to expand my varieties of garlic. One was "Kettle River Giant", which was supposed to have a diameter "up to 4" ". All were 2" or less. In addition, I ordered Burpee's "Best Garlic Collection", which was supposed to be an assortment of three different kinds of garlic. All of the bulbs of the "collection" were lumped into one bag, and were not distinguishable from each other. I E-mailed Burpee these concerns, along with pictures of the bulbs of garlic, and one clove pulled loose from each bulb. The response from Burpee was perfunctory, and ignored most of my questions. I will most likely never order from Burpee again. I am convinced that mistakes were made in packing my order; but no attempt to rectify was made by Burpee customer service. I seriously doubt that anyone even looked at the pictures that we took of the garlic. Obviously, there are better sources for garlic out there!
Company representative comment on October 3, 2014:
On oct 3, 2014 12:54 , Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

We apologize for your experience with our garlic and for how your complaint was handled. We have reached out to you directly to help you identify the garlic varieties, and to offer an adjustment to your order. We appreciate your feedback and are grateful for the chance to address your concerns.

Neutral 35811
Huntsville, AL
August 7, 2014
In 2013 I ordered a new Sorbia Sem that showed delicate multicolored leaves, and what was then also a new hardy hibiscus - the midnight variety with dark red/maroon leaves and deep red blooms.
I also ordered several Echinacea for the goldfinches...
In what appears to have been a different order, my husband bought me the Ghost fern / Athyrium.

I noticed that when the Sorbia arrived, it was green. As it grew, it never resembled the image of what I had ordered. All green. I contacted the company with photos, who verified I had been sent another variety, and they offered to ship a new plant at the appropriate planting time. Very well. Worth waiting to get what I'd planned on for that spot in the garden...
The second plant, after arriving, displayed the same traits as the first. All green. Again, not what I ordered. Now I have two, and they are doing well...but not what I ordered, or wanted.
The hibiscus had arrived dormant, so I had to wait and see what that was going to do this year. It sprouted green leaves.
Not supposed to be green leaves. I waited...all green leaves.
Clearly again not the plant I ordered.
Blooms are now forming, so I will soon know what color the flower is, and I am hoping this IS a hardy variety, since it spent the winter inside my greenhouse but it now in the ground.

I have sent another email to customer service with more pictures of what I got, and what I didn't.

All the coneflower died in the ground over the winter, despite my older 'local' plantings having survived.

The only thing I can report as being successful is the Ghost fern. A very slow grower and needing a bit of coddling, it has filled out and looks lovely - true to the image shown on their website.
Neutral soaringardener
Soap Lake, WA
June 25, 2014
I gave a neutral experience, because it was not positive and most of the situation was resolved.Bought about $90.00 worth of seed online, and started some indoors. most sprouted, the seeds I planted out doors first of may with temps in 80's ,Corn , watermelon cantalope and honeydew, was poor to no germination, only 2 varieties of corn were reasonable, early sunglow and golden bataam, the peaches and cream was nothing as was all the melons. My garden is all set up with drip irragation on timers and the weather was in the 80's the ground was kept moist and plenty of heat, we live in a semi desert area of the columbia basin in central washington, an agriculture area and the corn was planted the same time as the commercial growers , their fields all did good, my garden was a disaster. contacted burpee and they immediately refunded $55.00 of my order, but that does not fix the lost time, and I have replanted with a different brand of seed, so we will see. WHY so much problem with germination??? I have gardened all my life,I am retired, and I have never had this much problem getting seeds to germinate ! ! ! any body else have that problem???
Positive cathyleal
Mansfield, MA
June 21, 2014
Very positive. I love gardening and have a half acre garden. I placed a large order with Burpee and I was very happy when they plant arrived strong, healthy and well packaged. The prices are a little higher but it was well worth it. I have done a lot of mail ordering and this has been the best.
Neutral rivermare
Lincoln, CA
June 3, 2014
My first experience buying plants online was with Burpee. My colleague highly recommended this site to me so I purchased a number of plants amounting to almost $500. I shouldn't have but the pretty pictures on their website and a number of positive reviews here made me think that was ok.
First disappointment was that the plants that arrived were small. Not all items had indicated sizes on their website but based on the price I expected at least 4'-6" pots, or equivalent plant size for most of them. No. A lot are 2.5" baby plants, some bare roots (which is fine but I was not expecting it) and a couple of really expensive ones were 4". $34 for a 4" starter plant. Not a good deal.
Second disappointment, a lot of the plants were not ready to be shipped. This should have been made clear. I received plants late spring to early summer, at least a month after I ordered, because apparently they were still growing them. If that was the case I would prefer to have known about it so I know not to order it. I waited 2 months for some plants that came to me so young they did not survive the trip. They sent a replacement for one of them and refunded the rest. The replacement looked exactly the same and died the same way. I did not bother writing again. I've sent several e-mails before and I am just tired.
I was told that this company was a good seed place. I did not buy any seeds from them so I cannot comment if that was really their specialty. All I know is that they are not the best source of live plants. For the prices they charged, you could get 4x the size elsewhere.
Negative Bowmore38
Glendale, AZ
May 20, 2014
Apparently, it is always a mixed bag with Burpee. I rated them NEGATIVE because the last two experiences were negative, with another really BIG negative not too long before that. Here's the breakdown of my walk down Burpee Lane:

Positive - Ordered two packets of cucumbers and some gourds. Everything arrived in good shape, and the cukes germinated well. (Gourds not planted yet because I like them fresh and ready for fall, but I'm sure they're fine.)

Positive - Ordered a packet of hot cherry peppers and a packet of pole beans. Again, everything went fine.

BIG Negative - Two successful orders, so I placed a larger order of melons, squash, and a few varieties of tomatoes and peppers. Big mistake. The thin cardboard envelope had no padding. Something in the handling or shipping process squished the larger seeds to bits, and the smaller seeds had come out of their packets and were all muddled together.

Positive - Before receiving the Smashed Seed Surprise, I had ordered a packet of swiss chard and and one of bush beans. Again, smaller order, nice padded envelope, all was well.

Positive - I sent an email about the Seed Mash. Got a very quick response. "Deb" at Burpee offered to replace or refund the melons, squash, tomatoes, and peppers, my choice. I asked for replacements.

Negative - When I got the notification of the reshipment, the Gold Standard Hybrid sweet pepper wasn't available. They didn't make any special mention of that fact. I just noticed it because it was listed as OUT OF STOCK on the credit for the old order, and was missing from the shipping list for the new order. They didn't offer me a different yellow sweet pepper, or offer to notify me when it was back in stock. Just... nothing. No gold peppers for you.

Negative - I still wasn't completely disillusioned with Burpee, so when I received an offer for $2 shipping using the code FLAT136, I decided to place an order. I needed some sunflower seeds, and was intrigued by the "sunflower forest" idea. I got my order together, sunflowers and a few other items, went to check out, and... COUPON CODE EXPIRED. I looked at the fine print, and sure enough, it said "expires 05/19/2014 11:59 p.m. ET." That's 8:59 p.m. here in Arizona. After a very busy day, I finally had time to place my order, and... No discount shipping for you because you live in the Wild West! I can't say that my failure to scrutinize the fine print and the subsequent time wasted is Burpee's fault. I can, however, say that most of their competitors are more considerate of those of us west of the Mississippi, even at the risk of a few East Coast insomniacs getting cheap shipping in the wee hours.

Unknown - Before this latest disappointment, I ordered a packet of radishes and a packet of carrots. I'm sure everything will be skippy-dandy, and just as sure that I believe this is the end of my relationship with Burpee and their time-sucking inconsistency and unreliability.
Company representative comment on May 21, 2014:
On May 21, 2014 1:10 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

We apologize for the issues you have encountered with your orders and have reached out to you through D mail to make sure that everything has been resolved.

We always appreciate feedback from our customers and welcome every opportunity to meet their needs.

Positive BerryPatch78
Cresaptown-Bel Air, MD
May 17, 2014
This is my first year starting a garden. I ordered some tomato seeds and bare root strawberry plants. The strawberries came much sooner than I expected, but I hurried and got the bed ready, and now (6 weeks later) they are blooming up a storm. Only 2 of the 50 have died.

The tomato seeds had a pretty good germination rate, and seem healthy so far.

Overall, very satisfied.
Positive raspberrypicket
Circleville, OH
May 5, 2014
Posted on May 3, 2014, updated May 5, 2014
For several years I have purchased Dragon Wing Begonias, tomato plants, perennials and roses from Burpee because I felt they were a good price and quality. For three years in a row the Dragon Wings or perennials were mangled or small and they gladly replaced the items. On Friday 5-3-14 I received a box of Dragon Wings (several weeks before last expected frost) and the plants were mangled. I called and the rep asked how plants could be mangled in the box. I explained it looked like they had been run through a grinder. I took pictures and tried to pull out root balls...The rep was indifferent and I told her I had taken pictures and wanted me to send the pictures or return the plants. I told her I did not want to go to all the trouble and asked for a refund (although I stressed I would really like to have the Dragon Wings. Finally I asked for a full refund and asked for them to stop sending me a catalog.
I will NEVER buy anything from them again. What has happened to this once great company?
On May 5th, 2014, raspberrypicket changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I am very happy to say I want to change my negative rating of Burpee to a positive rating. I spoke to a very nice lady named Helen and she listened to my issues and apologized for the issues I encountered. To be honest I was very surprised and thrilled they took my concerns seriously and worked out all the problems. It is obvious to me when they say they take customer service seriously they really mean it. They listened and took immediate action. I am very thankful for her help and hope to purchase plants and seeds from Burpee in the future!
THANK YOU BURPEE!
Company representative comment on May 5, 2014:
On May 5, 2014 9:48 AM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

We were very sorry to learn about these problems and have sent a direct message requesting more information so that we can make sure these issues have been resolved. As always, we welcome all feedback from our customers so that we can continue to meet their needs.

Positive stormcloud
Posted on May 21, 2013, updated May 22, 2013
Posted on April 11, 2012, updated May 21, 2013
Posted on April 8, 2012, updated April 11, 2012
Posted on February 19, 2010, updated April 8, 2012
I ordered some early seed starting supplies a few weeks ago from this company.
An error was made by their shipping department.
One phone call and the replacment was here within a weeks time . I am very happy with their pleasant response and will surely be ordering from them again.
On April 8th, 2012, stormcloud changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

I am so very disappointed with Burpee this Spring 2012.
I placed 2 orders, one was for Sunflower seeds and eucanachia seeds and a few odds and ends and the second order, which just arrived was for live plants.

#1 I planted the seeds indoors in the heated burpee seed starter which i had purchased last year and not a one has sprouted !
#2 the live plant order which just arrived was shocking.
2 hydrangas, 1 at $13.95 and the second $16.95.
Could not even refer to themn as twigs they are so tiny for that price !!!
6 little teeny eucanachia seedlings...over $50. cost in thae little box...WOW I am not happy with Burpee in spite of the their long reputation for goodness.
On April 11th, 2012, stormcloud changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I do still stand by my earlier comments about the poor quality of the plants in my order but I would say it is safe to buy from Burpee as thery have been extremely communicative and reliable in offering a refund.
I do believe the plants were shipped too soon for my zone 6 which was the cause of the problem.
Have no reluctance to order from Burpee....I would say they are willling to resolve all issues for customer satisfaction unlike several other online companies.Marsha from customer service has been both pleasant and helpful to me.
On May 21st, 2013, stormcloud changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

I bought several orders from Burpee's this Spring
The first order contained Crape Myrtle, Coral Magic PPAF and Hibiscus, Midnight Marvel PPAF in addition to some perennial flower plants.
These 2 shrubs arrived as 4-5 inch high sticks. I decided to just plant them and watch if they grew. Well all they did was grow DEAD. So I wrote to Burpee and they wrote back asking me to send pictures which I did.
I requested replacements if available as these were rather costly" sticks".
Once again I am waiting to hear for the company for a resolution of this issue.
On May 22nd, 2013, stormcloud changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I am changing my review to POSITIVE because I have heard from Joe and he explained that they are out of stock of the crepe myrtle now. But they are issuing a refund for that as well as replacing the Hibiscus. Cannot ask for anything more from the company.
On March 15th, 2014, stormcloud changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

I am quite aggravated at the moment with Burpee.
I have place 2 or 3 orders offer the winter which obviously have not been received yet,
So, I have several $10 off $50 coupons here from past orders.
I finally remembered.,..so when I got the free shipping in y email today I went and spent quite some tie getting together an order. Since I added that it took away the free shipping offer.

This is totally unfair since the $10 certificate was a reward for a previous purchase and the Free Shipping was a new email offer.
I have abandoned my cart and an very aggravated with Burpee and their scams.
Stormcloud
On March 19th, 2014, stormcloud changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Amazing...I wrote to Burpee about a problem I was having using their free ship offer and a coupon I had had fro a previous order.Totally surprised when I received a quick reply and a credit for the shipping the next day.
This sure did restore my confidence in Burpee !
On April 4th, 2014, stormcloud changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

oh boy was I wrong about this company
Today I received the replacement plant for the one that was missing from my order....in a deplorable condition !!
Along with a note stating the missing lavender I BO....no other info.
I will like to send you apicture of this thing you sent me..Scabiosa, Fama White if you would send me a direct mailing address.
Sheila2u@yahoo.com / stormcloud@dmail.com
On April 4th, 2014, stormcloud added the following:

oh boy was I wrong about this company
Along with a note stating the missing lavender I BO....no other info.
Sheila2u@yahoo.com / stormcloud@dmail.com

P.S Each of my orders has a problem this year.
On May 3rd, 2014, stormcloud changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Burpee has kindly resolved all issues with this years orders and I am once again pleased to deal with them. Thank you.
Company representative comment on April 10, 2014:
On Apr 10, 2014 8:42 AM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

We were very sorry to learn that your replacement plant arrived in poor condition. We have emailed you directly with the email address where you can send images. We appreciate these as they help with our quality control at our nursery. We do apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to resolving the issue.

Negative webchemist
Vista, CA
May 1, 2014
I no longer even consider ordering from Burpee after the headache I went through last year. First they short me half my order, despite the website saying in stock when I bought them. They never notified me, I just opened the box to find items missing with a note saying the were back ordered. I called to find out what the deal was and they told me it was too cold to ship my pineberry & purple wonder strawberries... I checked the weather online and in their area it was high 60's to low70s that week.. They told me they would call back with a shipping eta, but when they did call the customer service rep accused me of lying, saying I had already received all items. I hung up and called back, spoke to a different person who told me they oversold and wouldn't have more ready for another month. So I ended up getting a refund, highly annoyed that the main items I wanted were the ones they shorted me.

Of the other items that did arrive, all the other strawberries and 4 of 5 raspberries died. The only item that was healthy and vigorous was a fig plant, which was a rip off for the size/price paid and a year later still has not yet given me fruit.

After I had already been refunded, they mis-shipped me the strawberries that had been back ordered. I wish I could post a picture, they were the saddest pitiful wilted seedlings I had ever seen. Of the 4 strawberries they sent, the only one which survived wasn't even the right variety.

Never again!
Company representative comment on May 2, 2014:
On May 2, 2014 4:08 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

We are so sorry to learn of your unfortunate experience and have contacted you directly to see if we can resolve any outstanding issues. The satisfaction of our customers is very important to us and we appreciate having the opportunity to respond to their concerns.

Positive mac24
Litchfield Park, AZ
April 26, 2014
Expensive seed but always high quality with excellent germination. Customer service is helpful too. I've grown Burpee seed successfully in several very different zones. Good selection of OP seed and hybrids.
Negative devinevegan
Igo, CA (Zone 9a)
April 9, 2014
Posted on April 4, 2014, updated April 9, 2014
Posted on March 16, 2014, updated April 4, 2014
I ordered seeds and live plants from this company last year and was very disappointed. The seeds are overpriced and come in a plain & ugly thin seed packet that rips when you open it. I did not get good germination or healthy thriving plants from any of the seeds. I ordered a Papaya that was listed for zone 9 but it turned rubbery and was unhealthy anytime the weather was under 60 degrees. It died within a few months even though the temperature was never near 20-30 as zone 9 gets. I tried twice to get off their mailing list but they keep sending catalogs even though they agreed to take me off their list. Many of their seeds are treated because they never say they are not, and most are hybrids and PVP's. Just awful, I cannot believe they are still around!
On April 4th, 2014, devinevegan added the following:

Unbeleivable, I have sent two emails asking to be removed from their mailing list, and got two confirmations they would remove me. BUT, I keep receiving catalogs and just received another one again! TAKE ME OFF YOUR LIST!!!
On April 9th, 2014, devinevegan added the following:

I received a reply from Burpee stating their plants and seeds are guaranteed for one year and I could receive a refund or a replacement. I sent them an email about this and will post the results.

They also state it takes 6-8 weeks to be removed from the list but I received 2 catalogs well after 8 weeks of my requests. I will post any updates on this as well
Company representative comment on April 7, 2014:
On Apr 7, 2014 3:00 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

Thank you for your feedback. We guarantee our products and will reach out to you directly to resolve any issues you have experienced with them. We appreciate your request to be removed from our mailing list, and will honor that request. It does take a number of weeks for this to take effect and it is possible that you will receive a catalogue during this time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Positive lovelola
Williamson, AZ
March 17, 2014
I received several dormant raspberry and blackberry canes, as well as two leafed-out blueberry starts from Burpee as a birthday gift from a friend. The dormant canes were well rooted-out and packed with moist woodchips in a plastic bag. As far as one can tell with dormant plants, they seemed healthy enough. I received two blueberry plants, which I think is one more than was actually purchased. Granted, one of them looked rather weak and wilted, but I appreciate the extra plant and the attention to detail that was extended to the packing of the plants. I just ordered several grapevines from the company, and am hoping for consistency. It is a bit of a bummer that you can't combine special offers- it makes it so much more fun when you feel like you've gotten a killer deal. Especially because they seem to have rather high prices.
Negative Taylor2012
DeSoto, TX
March 14, 2014
Ordered a couple of plants, one of which was a passion flower vine for $16.95, from Burpees. When I received the order, most of the soil was out of the passion vine pot with the roots exposed.... since all they did was put packing paper around the plants. Well, the thing looked dead, needless to say.

When I contacted them about a replacement, they asked for a picture of the plant, which I sent. Received an email stating that that was the way the plant was supposed to look....and that if they sent me a replacement plant, it would look exactly the same, so they essentially said "No" to a replacement. And no mention of how badly the plant was packed (roots exposed), of course. That's their idea of customer service?

So I just asked for a refund. Burpees may be ok for over-priced seeds ordering, but apparently they don't "do" plant orders very well. And their 'customer service' ticked me off...since they tout, on their website, a Burpees product "guarantee of satisfaction".

I won't be using them again.
Company representative comment on March 17, 2014:
On Mar 17, 2014 12:37 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

Thank you for sharing your experience and we apologize that it was not to your satisfaction. Please know that the issues you experienced with the shipping of your Passiflora were sent to our Nursery Team for review. Our Nursery team makes every effort to ensure our plants are in good growing condition when they leave our growing facilities, even dormant plants; and we are disappointed that your vine arrived to you in such poor condition.

Please also accept our apologies for the problems you encountered with our service. Our customers are very important to us and we are working to fix the issues you’ve indicated. We are constantly striving to improve the service experience for all of our customers and value these types of exchange. Thank you, and our apologies, again.

Negative kellmach
Portland, TN
February 8, 2014
Burpee has the highest price on seeds that I've ever seen, but I ordered from them several years ago and was happy with the germination rate, so when I saw all of the discounts they were offering I decided to give them another try.

They offer $10 off with a coupon in their catalog, 25% off a $100 order with an online coupon and free shipping with a $50 order. None of the coupons say that they can not combined with any other offer - but after spending all the time getting an order together, I find out in check out that only one offer will be accepted. If that is the policy, that's fine - but it would be more honest to say up front that the offers can not be combined, rather than the big surprise at the end. I emailed Customer Service with this complaint, but they replied only that offers can not be combined at this time.

With seed packets as high as 6.95 each and the feeling that I've been misled about the coupons, they can keep their outrageously priced products.

Company representative comment on February 11, 2014:
On Feb 11, 2014 11:46 AM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your feedback.

We apologize for the problems you have encountered with our online & catalog promotions. Please know that Burpee will be making changes to our promotional information in the near future based upon your feedback.

At this time we have reached out to you on via direct mail on Dave’s Garden to resolve this issue.

If you require additional assistance please call 1-800-888-1447 or email custserv@burpee.com.

Positive 8209
Louisville, KY (Zone 6b)
January 18, 2014
Today I ordered 3 Tomato plants from Burpee's. I was unaware of the many negatives of this company. However, I will give them a positive until they prove different and then I will post results. The reason I ordered so early was to be sure I got first dibbs on the good plants. Will post later with results.
Positive taufgardner
Posted on January 26, 2011, updated October 9, 2011
Posted on March 23, 2010, updated January 26, 2011
Posted on January 26, 2010, updated March 23, 2010
Posted on March 23, 2004, updated January 25, 2010
I got what I ordered, in a timely fashion and in good condition. Germination was fine. I found this company to be reliable and predictable, though better prices are easy to find elsewhere.
On January 26th, 2010, taufgardner added the following:

2010 order received timely and in good condition. Burpee is consistent and I know what I'm getting. Big Mama tomato is a real winner for those who make sauce. One of the few "indeterminate" plum tomatoes and they are huge, with easy to peel thick skins.
On March 23rd, 2010, taufgardner added the following:

I opened my "Big Mama" seeds to find most stuck to the adhesive in part of the seed packet. The germination was only about 40%, which is unusual in my experience with Burpee and this particular variety. I contacted Burpee and was given a no-hassle assurance that a replacement is on its way. I'm a little behind the curve now for planting by seed, but think the timing will be adequate if not ideal. One other note that is not a problem with Burpee: Big Mama is more susceptible to cold than other varieties. I like to set my plants out during the day from the get go in order for them to grow sturdily and slowly in natural sunlight. This process is labor intensive, but has served me well. I got a cooler than expected day (but no frost) and lost all of the Big Mama that did germinate. The other tomatoes and peppers all did fine. So be careful in the cold with Big Mama. Although this particular seed experience (germination and packaging) hasn't been stellar, Burpee has given standard, reliable service over the many years I've ordered from them, so I know what to expect. Plus, they promptly responded to this, the one and only concern I have ever had with them. So I'm leaving my rating positive and will definitely order from them again.
On January 26th, 2011, taufgardner added the following:

Sorry I did not update last year after Burpee quickly replaced the aforementioned Big Mama tomato seeds. The next batch worked out fine, and did well enough that they were ready when I needed them. This year, Burpee was my primary supplier (out of about 10). I like their predictability and consistent results. A good company with solid results. Varieties are always true to type, germination rates at an acceptable level and customer service is good.
On October 9th, 2011, taufgardner added the following:

The White Wedding Zinnia variety was the best zinnia I have ever grown. All flowers on all plants completely double. The giant Tetra were another story. I ordered a mix, but all of the flowers were one color and single flowering, not dahlia flowered as advertised. Not at all what I expected. The Biker Billy jalapeno was terrific. Large fruits and prolific, but not as hot as billed. That's okay, because the family doesn't like the heat, but don't buy if you're expecting hotter than usual jalapenos. My results were actually milder than usual (and I planted normal jalapenos right next to the Biker Billy). The Brandy Boy tomato started out slow, but really picked up a head of steam and was the most prolific and consistent variety I grew this year. However, beware that this is a tomato that is thin skinned, easy to bruise, and does not hold well. All in all, my experience with Burpee is predictable and solid so I'll keep my review positive, but I am somewhat mixed in my opinion this year, due to less consistent results than usual.
On October 26th, 2011, taufgardner added the following:

On October 14th, I received a gracious response from Marsha, a customer service rep from Burpee, inquiring about the Tetra zinnia lot number, etc. for investigation. She offered a replacement. I did not feel this was necessary as my overall value from Burpee is great. She further explained that the jalapeno's heat will vary depending on growing conditions. I know that she is right and am certain that different varieties will react differently to conditions, even when planted by each other. I reiterate that the Biker Billy is a real winner and that I will plant again, likely instead of other jalapeno varieties. We liked it that much. Thanks to Burpee for good customer response and for providing consistent seeds and service year after year.
On November 3rd, 2011, taufgardner added the following:

Very appreciative of Burpee's response to a comment I made on this site. I was not seeking any sort of replacement and feel my overall experience with Burpee is very positive and consistent. I never contacted them directly, Burpee reached out to me after reading my earlier review. In spite of my not requesting or even feeling that I needed replacement seeds, Marsha still sent some replacement seeds on her own accord. Very gracious, and I appreciated that.
On March 8th, 2012, taufgardner added the following:

Another great year! Seeds came timely, germination was as expected. Am always satisfied with Burpee purchases. No unpleasant surprises. Good results.
On November 25th, 2013, taufgardner added the following:

This year, I tried Super Mama tomato. I LOVED this sauce tomato. Each plant was LOADED with HUGE and meaty tomatoes. Although I thought they were to be indeterminate, their habit was determinate. Ended up liking that as the tomatoes all came during a good time window. I ended up getting about 5 bushels from three plants.

I ordered other seeds as well. If I want consistent, true to type seeds, I order from Burpee. In my experience through several years of growing at a level and quantity beyond a home gardener, but not at a commercial scope, I have not been disappointed with the reliability of Burpee.
Positive Newfs
Vineyard Haven, MA
November 9, 2013
Called Burpee customer service on 11/5/13 to make sure the seeds I wanted were in stock. Everything I wanted was in stock. I proceeded to place my order right then over the phone. I was assured my order would be in my mailbox in 7 days....my order was in my mailbox on 11/9/13--> 4 days later! I am a "seasoned" gardener, and Burpee vegetable seeds have never failed me. I have been eyeing their website for weeks, patiently waiting for their "2014 exclusive" seed line-up. When I checked on 11/5/13 and saw it was online, I was on the phone! Thank you Burpee for consistently having great seeds. And thank you * Robin * in Burpee customer service for your kind help........Laurene
Positive Stu77047
Houston, TX
October 23, 2013
I have ordered seeds from burpee about 15 times over the years. I always get what I order and it is shipped on time. I have ordered seeds from other companies too, but Burpee has become my go to for seeds. I have always had success with their seeds and they have a nice selection and nice prices.

I have never ordered live plants from them. I live in Houston, so I have a lot of better options around for live plants. This is the main reason I have never ordered live plants from them.

I have also never had to contact their customer service for any reason, so I do not have any information to share in that regards.
Negative FavaMama
Pismo Beach, CA
October 16, 2013
I placed an order on July 21, 2013 for a variety of tulips, I received my order today 10/16/2013, thinking my order was fulfilled only to find that Mother's Love Tulips was substituted with Red Riding Hood Tulips, which I already had ordered.Now, i figured that by placing my order early Burpee would have at least reserved these Tulips for me or at least let me know, so I had the option of choosing a substitute.Instead they sent order confirmation misleading me to believe I was gonna get Mother's Love Tulips.I am upset to say the least and recommend to my fellow gardeners everywhere to never believe by placing an early order with Burpee, that you will actually get your item.It is a little late now for me to try to find the Tulips I desired, so now I will have to wait till next year but I will never order from Burpee anymore.
Company representative comment on October 17, 2013:
On Oct 17, 2013 8:37 AM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

Dear Customer,

Many different factors impact our inventory levels of live goods. Our tulip bulbs are shipped directly from Holland and at times production issues may occur. When these issues occur, we try to substitute a similar variety for the original product selected, and we do apologize your original selection was not available to be sent to you.

After reviewing your comments we reached out to you on via direct mail on Dave’s Garden and via email to resolve this issue.

We hope you feel that this matter has been resolved. Please contact our Customer Service team at 1-800-888-1447 if you require additional assistance or email custserv@burpee.com.

Positive krissypoo
Long Beach, CA
September 20, 2013
i've only ordered seeds from burpee so i can't comment on plant orders. i've gotten a few bad batches of seeds with poor germination rates but in general, i've been pleased with germination rates and the resulting plants. i have dozens of seed packets from them and will continue to order from them in the future. one of my order took over two weeks to arrive but all the other orders arrived fairly promptly.
Positive nowMNzone4b
Kasson, MN
June 18, 2013
Ordered 3 seedless tomato plants rather late because I couldn't find locally. Live plants arrived three days after on-line shipping notice in excellent condition. Rest of order came 3 days after live plants. Well pleased. Distance apparently not a problem. Will not be hesitant next year to order from Burpee.
Positive lssfishhunter
Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b)
June 5, 2013
I thought that I had written a review for this company before I guess I have not.
I occasionally buy vegetable seeds from this company. I have had good results. They only have smaller amount of seeds in the packets on the seed racks so I will buy cantaloupes, peppers, cukes, etc. For corn, beans and okra for example, I will not buy from them because I need more seed. I am very satisfied with what I have purchased from them because the germination rates are dependable.
Negative sandwalker
Greenfield, OH
June 1, 2013
Posted on May 26, 2013, updated June 1, 2013
I've ordered from Burpee in the distant past and never had a problem. However, due to their link with Monsanto, I cannot with good conscience order from them again until they sever ties with any company that produces GMO seed. Goodbye Burpee.
On June 1st, 2013, sandwalker added the following:

As long as Burpee is buying seed from Seminis, then Burpee is supporting companies whose main goal is the production and proliferation of GMO seeds. Seminis is a subsidiary of Monsanto.

Burpee implying it is not involved in GMO seeds is preposterous! As long as Burpee is sending money to Seminis, Burpee is sending money to Monsanto and therefore supporting GMO seed production. Until Burpee makes a commitment NOT to do business with any company involved with GMO seed production, then myself and thousands of others will NOT BE DOING BUSINESS WITH BURPEE. We have been trying to tell Burpee that for quite some time now and they just don't seem to get it.

Company representative comment on May 31, 2013:
On May 31, 2013 8:47 AM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

Burpee is the nation's leading purveyor of both heirloom and hybrid vegetables seeds and transplants. Burpee purchases seeds from a select list of suppliers throughout the world including Seminis. However, none of the seeds purchased from Seminis or any other supplier are GMO. Burpee has never bred or sold GMO seeds and does not intend to do so in the future.

The following link will provide more information about our company's view on GMO seed:

Negative SpikeDaCat
Cedar Hills, UT
May 29, 2013
After the experience I've had, I would not recommend Burpee to anyone. If you don't feel like reading the rest, I'll just say that their lousy shipping method killed the live plants they were sending me, and their customer service is lacking. Read below for the full details.

I placed an order on April 14th for three live plants, with the understanding that they would ship around April 29th or so (due to different growing seasons). April 29th came and went, and I received no shipping notice. I finally called on May 12th to ask what was going on, and why my order hadn't shipped. Their brilliant customer service rep kept telling me that it could arrive the next day... even though it hadn't shipped yet. Guess what. It didn't arrive on the 13th. Big surprise.

The shipping notice came on May 16th. Then I waited. And waited. And waited.

I was excited to finally receive the package on May 23rd. Talk about slow shipping, especially for live plants! My spirits were crushed though when I opened the box and discovered that the two little tomato plants were badly, badly wilted, and nearly dead.

I emailed customer service that day to complain and to ask for expedited shipping on replacement plants since I had been waiting so long already. I received a timely, but abrupt reply which lacked appropriate capitalization. It said that they were shipping replacements to me. No mention of shipping type or speed.

I called again today (May 29th) to inquire about the status of my replacements, and to request expedited shipping if they had not been sent yet. I was told that there was no way at all for them to expedite shipping on anything. I finally asked to speak with a supervisor, and the representative said that he would take my number and that she (the supervisor) would call me back as soon as she gets a chance.

Not surprisingly, my phone never rang. However, I did mysteriously get another shipping notification by email not long after I called. Same slow shipping method as last time. So here I am, six weeks after placing my order, waiting for replacements to arrive, and hoping that they don't die en route too. All of our other tomatoes have been in the ground at the garden for two weeks already. My poor tomatoes (if they survive this journey) will be off to a very late start.

I think they owe me an apology and a refund. I didn't pay $22.00+ for dead plants, slow shipping, and lousy customer service. I don't think I'll ever buy from Burpee again.
On Sep 4, 2013 3:57 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

Dear Customer,

We are very sorry for the poor experience you’ve encountered with Burpee. After reviewing your comments we reached out to you on May 31, 2013 via direct mail on Dave’s Garden to resolve this issue.

We hope at this time you feel that this matter has been resolved. Please contact our Customer Service team at 1-800-888-1447 if you require additional assistance or email custserv@burpee.com.

Negative fanofherky
Oakland, IA
May 24, 2013
Order of 3 tomato plants, with all 3 plants limp with stems unable to support plants upon arrival. As I was in the garden when plants arrived, they were all planted according to the package directions within 10 minutes of arrival, with sun and wind protection; temperature in the upper 60's, a plastic pot with the bottom cut out, placed around the plants at time of planting. 24 hours later, two plants (Big Boy and Brand boy) are barely alive, but with leaves that are not wilted, so I believe they will recover. The sauce tomato hybrid appears dead, with wilted leaves and no support from the main stem). Purchasing tomato plants from the local grocery or hardware store would have been a better choice, even if I would not have gotten the desired hybrids.
On Sep 4, 2013 3:55 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

Dear Customer,

We are very sorry for the poor experience you’ve encountered with Burpee. After reviewing your comments we reached out to you on June 3, 2013 via direct mail on Dave’s Garden to resolve this issue.

Negative JoParrott
Richland, WA (Zone 7b)
May 23, 2013
I placed an order online to Burpee on March 30, 2013. It was for a Goji Berry Plant-in a 3" pot. It arrived on April 26, having spent 8 days in transit ! The plant was essentially dead- all the soil was out of the pot, and all the leaves were brown. I took a photo and called Burpee's customer service- the rep. told me that a live plant should NEVER be shipped on a Thursday and spend 8 days in transit. She was very helpful, and reordered the plant for me. This was 5 weeks ago, and after several emails & phone calls by me (none of which were satisfactory) today I got a shipping confirmation from UPS that the plant was being shipped today, and scheduled arrival was May 31-(8 days from now!) I called and voiced my resistance to another 8 day journey- I said I know the plant will be dead-again! I get US Priority packages from FL all the way to here- WA in 2 days. I asked to speak to someone from the nursery that shipped it, but that is not possible. This has all been totally frustrating and I will NEVER do business with Burpee again.
On Sep 4, 2013 3:54 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

Negative julianchandler
Stillwater, OK
May 17, 2013
I ordered three 'Fireworks" Gomphrenas from Burpee's. The plants were wilted and falling out of their pots and most of the dirt was in the bottom of the box. I sent an email to Burpee's customer service and got an immediate reply asking whether I wanted a refund or replacement plants. That doesn't make up for the fact that the plants were in horrible shape to start with, however.
On Sep 4, 2013 3:52 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

Dear Customer,

We are very sorry for the poor experience you’ve encountered with Burpee. After reviewing your comments we reached out to you on May 20, 2013 via direct mail on Dave’s Garden to resolve this issue.

Negative ellenr
Highland Park, NJ
May 7, 2013
Ordered for the first time from Burpee.
2 packets of California poppies-
one sup'd to have 350 seeds
the other sup'd to have 100. They cost me 5.00 and 4.00/per packet. Expensive compared to other companies.$6.00 shipping.
The one had (generously) maybe 100-150 seeds. The other had 30 seeds (I have a seed spreader, and I actually counted how many seeds.)
I called and they are going to send me more, but I am burning mad.
1st- my seeding is now another week behind.
2nd- this must be their standard practice. It isn't logical that I order two packets and both have less than have of the number of seeds, unless this is their usual practice. And the reason they keep doing this is bec. they can. I bet most people don't complain. I'll never order from then, and I'll make sure no one I garden with ever does either.
On Sep 4, 2013 3:40 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

Dear Customer,

After reviewing your comments we reached out to you via direct mail on May 8, 2013. We hope you feel the matter was resolved in just and timely manner.

Positive 50Carrots
Chesapeake Ranch Estates-Drum Point, MD
May 3, 2013
Last year I ordered seeds and plants from Burpee. My seed germination rate was about 99% for quite a variety of flowers and vegetables In fact, last year’s lettuce is once again thriving this spring with no help whatsoever from me. I had a few failures (pink Lily of the Valley and White Calla Lily) which were all refunded when I called the company. (with an apology “I’m sorry it died.”) Great customer service. Excellent packaging and shipping. Some of the tiny flower seeds are shipped in a mini plastic tube in the package and are brightly colored so you can see them. Some items shipped early due to March 2012 being more like summer. I also use quite a few bags of the Burpee Wildflower North American Mix seeds and the results are exceptional. A few of the smaller flowers bloomed all through winter. Last year in August I planted four types of sunflowers with success and this year I planted 15 types starting in mid-March including the Strawberry Blonde Hybrid “The first rose-pink sunflower!” As of mid-April, they are sprouting right on schedule. (direct sow Zone 7b)
The Burpee website is very user friendly – it’s great for planning your flower and vegetable garden. I appreciate all the How To information and customer reviews. I am also impressed by all the new introductions for flowers and vegetables and decided to try planning the On Deck Hybrid Corn – which I planted in the garden and in a large container. I am glad I ordered early as the On Deck Hybrid Corn is listed as “sold out” in mid-April. The printed catalogs and website both feature stunning true-to-life photos that certainly motivate my buying habits.
Negative rmtrout
Hopatcong, NJ
April 26, 2013
Ordered two Echinacea Pink Double Delight plants. Paid approx 11.50 each with a discount and had free shipping. For the price, I expected decent sized plants. Plants are very, very small. Very small. They are in 4" containers and one is about 1 1/2" tall and about 3" in circumference. The second is half that size. Packaging was almost non-existent. One container was completely emptied within the box and the plant out of the container. Did I mention that the shipping box has large holes so the dirt which emptied out of the container was also coming out of the box? It looks like both plants were recently repotted into the containers that they were shipped in as the one plant that fell completely out had it's roots in a compact ball. I am certain with TLC I can get the smaller, tramatized plant to grow, but I shouldn't have to. I should be receiving plants in beautiful condition, yes? I am re-doing a bed and have ordered from many places the past few weeks. This is the first situation I have had like this.
On Sep 4, 2013 3:38 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

Dear Customer,

After reviewing your comments we reached out to you via direct mail on April 29, 2013. We hope you feel the matter was resolved in just and timely manner.

Negative eyfng
San Gabriel, CA
April 20, 2013
Order placed on 4/11 for eggplant supports and Hydrangea Everlasting Revolution with free shipping and $10 off. Regular price for Hydrangea is $26.95, it is overpriced. Full payment was charged on 4/12.

On 4/16 contacted customer service to check order status. I was told that:
1) they are in peak season, long delivery date is to be expected.
2) delivery dates posted online are incorrect. Hydrangea won't be delivered until the week of May1. Eggplant supports should be delivered from the warehouse within a couple of days.
3) I can cancel the order if I don't want to wait.

On 4/17, received shipment confirmation for the eggplant supports. Until today 4/20, the UPS tracking # still not showing the expected delivery date, the shipment is still in the orgin scan place, PA state. (I have placed a lot of online orders, I have never seen this happened with UPS.)

Just contacted Burpee customer service. I was told that:
1) they ship UPS the same way as the others. They don't know why the UPS delivery date is still not showing. If I don't see any shipment progress, I can call UPS, there is nothing they can do about it.
2) customer complaints can be seen anywhere on the internet as I mentioned other customer had complainted the tracking problem on Dave's Garden.
3) I can cancel the order if I want to. I can return the eggplant supports at their own shipping cost.

The way their customer representatives answered you is very irritating and so irresponsible. Burpee doesn't care about any customer complaints and doesn't welcome any customers not happy with their shipping problem.

Even though I placed the order mainly because of the Hydrangea, I have decided to cancel out the whole order. I will return the eggplant supports. Thank God that my order is free shipping, so I don't have to waste the shipping charge. NO more business with Burpee. Dump the catalog to trash bin.

God bless me that I will get my full refund without too much problems. Worry about the eggplant supports return.
On Sep 4, 2013 3:35 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

Dear Customer,

After reviewing your comments we reached out to you via direct mail on May 31, 2013. We hope you feel the issue was resolved in just and timely manner.

Positive doghill6
Central Point, OR (Zone 8a)
April 13, 2013
I placed a small order because they had something I couldn't find from my usual sources. That variety was quite expensive, but even more expensive from another company. The seed count was correct and they were packaged in tubes to avoid crushing, a plus with such expensive seeds. I ordered a couple of other things too and all of them germinated well. Also, they arrived quickly so my experience was quite good.
Negative maranser
pittsburgh
United States
April 13, 2013
Every year Burpee gets worse! I always tried to figure out a way to take the blame for something I may have done to account for Burpee's poor seed germination and this year answered the question. I planted 8 different kinds of peppers, all in the same seed flat. After a few weeks in the germination incubator, my problem was answered. 7 out of the 8 had the usual Burpee germination rate=2 sprouts out of 20 on average. Every year thier seed packs get smaller(wieght by millionth of a gram now!) and the germination drops another 10 % down to where now only 10 % is the germ. rate. The bad part of that was the one pack out of the eight had over 90% germ. rate in the same flat/enviroment as the others. The Patio Pleaser Peppers had the same germination as my own saved seeds-over 90%. It's pretty bad when Burpee's makes themselves look bad when comparing thier own seeds with each other. I have seeds that are over 15 years old that are NOT Burpee's that have better germ. rates then the 7 out 8 seed packs. I figure Burpee's seeds must be well over twenty years old to be so close to the edge of non-germination besides being brown/black in seed color. If only Burpee would of tested the Patio Pleasers and seen that they out perform by ten fold thier other seeds, they shouldn't of sold them so to have nothing good to compare to. Most of Burpee seeds are raised over seas and few are from the U.S.A. I would love to grow Burpee seeds here in the U.S.A. but the problem is that they too would out-perform thier other seeds and make the rest look bad like the Patio Pleasers did. I was ok when I was only able to compare Burpee's bad seeds with all the other bad seeds of thiers in the past years, and I would of been better off if I never would of got a good seed of theirs to make the rest look so bad and realize its not something wrong that I've been doing.
As far as Burpee's having a nice variety of seeds, that they do! I planted thier Chinese Giants two years ago and I swear no two plants where of the same variety. I would think if thier seeds are over twenty years old, that they would know whats not true to variety by now and not continue selling them. I was always told that a seed variety must breed true for 5 years running to become a variety and if thats the case, they got another 6 more years to go on the Chinese Giants variety. Burpee's reps are always quick to put the blame of poor results on the grower since they claim they have way better results then I do and it s got to be something I've done wrong, well, how is it my fault for the mixed variety? The answer is truely that it IS my fault for buying thier seeds in the first place. When will I ever learn?
To top that off, their seeds are worth more than GOLD! Here's the math! There are 165,000 tomatoe seeds in a pound or 10,312 seeds in an ounce. Burpee's Steak Sandwich Hybrid seed pack (45 mg-about half the size of a baby aspirin!) contains 22 seeds(counting 2-3 half seed pieces!). That works out to 469 seed packs @ $2.49/pack=$1167.81 an ounce! Now if your lucky and get a 50% germination rate, that comes to $2335.62 an ounce for growable seeds!! Yes, Its cheaper to by your wife a gold necklace than one made from Burpee's tomatoe seeds! Good thing Burpee's Steak Sandwich Hybrid seeds come from China with cheap labor because could you imagine how much Burpee would have to charge if they where grown in the U.S.A. and have to pay probably minimum wage at that! No wonder the seeds are so old, at 45 mg. a pack, it probably would take 20 years to sell a bag of seeds big enough to ship here from China!
On Sep 4, 2013 3:59 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

Dear Customer,

We are very sorry for the poor experience you’ve encountered with Burpee. After reviewing your comments we reached out to you on April 16, 2013 via direct mail on Dave’s Garden to resolve this issue.

Negative SteelCloud
Sterling, VA
April 10, 2013
I ordered over $50.00 of seeds almost 4 weeks ago. Then I received an email that stated my order had shipped. The email provided a tracking number without stating the actual shipper. I tried tracking the order thru UPS, FedEX and USPS to no avail. The tracking number was never found on any of them.

First: why wasn't the shipper disclosed?
Second: why would it take 2-3 days for the tracking number to be available on the "shipper's tracking system? Our company uses UPS and FedEx to ship our goods and the tracking info is available within hours.

Sadly, we never did find any usable tracking information using the tracking number provided by Burpee.

We eventually contacted Burpee and informed them that we did not receive our seeds. Burpee then cancelled the original order and placed a new order for our seeds. Then several days later, we received a notice of shipment of our seeds. Unfortunately, the same poor information appears on the email. No shipper is disclosed. The tracking number does not work on UPS, FedEx or USPS.

We are very disappointed with this situation. As you certainly know, customers order seeds early to begin the germination process indoors so as to provide a bigger seedlings when the outdoor season begins. Now we are at least 3 weeks behind, IF WE EVER RECEIVE this reorder.

While we have for many, many years used Burpee seeds, we are unlikely to ever order Burpee seeds online again.

I contacted Burpee's customer service. Their sole response was "The package should arrive Friday. Have a nice day."
On Sep 4, 2013 4:00 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

Dear Customer,

We are very sorry for the poor experience you’ve encountered with Burpee. After reviewing your comments we reached out to you on April 10, 2013 via direct mail on Dave’s Garden to resolve this issue.

Negative quiltergardener
Ann Arbor, MI
April 1, 2013
Received my order of Double Scoop Raspberry Echinacea. THEY ARE 1.5 INCHES HIGH!! Are they kidding???? Never again. This company has seen better days.
On Sep 4, 2013 4:01 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

Dear Customer,

We are very sorry for the poor experience you’ve encountered with Burpee. After reviewing your comments we reached out to you on April 3, 2013 via direct mail on Dave’s Garden to resolve this issue.

Negative calandpey
Alamo, TN
March 21, 2013
Purchased a package of Burpee seeds (Better Boy) at retail store for $1.99. The package was for 50 mg. weight but only contained five seeds. Emailed company concerning disappointment with quantity of seeds in packet. Was told their prices are determined by costs and no offer of compensation made. Dissatisfied with answer I called company and asked to talk to person in authority. That person was the one who answered my email. Again went through spill about costs involved and that since I got five plants up from the five seeds planted I should be satisfied with the 100% germination and that Burpee seeds were superior to other sellers seeds so price was justified. Was told that their catalog had package of thirty seeds selling for $6.50. Looked up on internet and they're listed for $3.95/30 seeds. Asked for refund of price or coupon for another pack of seeds. Would like to see if all retail packages only had five seeds but was refused any compensation. Again told their seeds were superior to others. I've been gardening a long time and know this is not the case. Will never buy Burpee seeds again, either retail or catalog. Apparently customer satisfaction has no priority with them.
On Sep 4, 2013 4:03 PM, Burpee (W. Atlee Burpee) responded with:

Dear Customer,

We are very sorry for the poor experience you’ve encountered with Burpee. After reviewing your comments we reached out to you on March 21, 2013 via direct mail on Dave’s Garden to resolve this issue.

Positive lilygrandma
Ellijay, GA
March 7, 2013
Posted on May 12, 2009, updated March 7, 2013
With some trepidation after reading the reports here, I ordered 12 tomato plants at a whopping price of almost 60$ including shipping. They arrived about 2 weeks later (good) but 4 of the 12 (one third!) are completely ruined. They look like they have been through the blender! The others look fair or okay--only a little broken and messed up. Three are iffy; the others should make it. I think their shipper must have used the box for baseball practice and then put it by a heat vent in 90 degree weather. The ruined plants were just SLIME. The packaging appeared to be sturdy and the box was not damaged, so I think the shipper did not take the proper care. For the price of shipping they should have HAND carried to me!

We will see tomorrow what kind of reply I get from customer service, and I will post back here.
On May 15th, 2009, lilygrandma changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I am changing my rating to neutral. I am pleased to report that Burpee contacted me through this forum quickly. I also (after about 20 minutes on hold) got to speak to someone who promised to refund the money for the ruined plants, and encouraged me to call back if the others, which were not in great shape, did not make it. I am coddling them, but a couple look pretty iffy. I will post back on how long the refund takes.

Unfortunately waiting another 2 or more weeks to get the plants replaced was not feasible, and the service rep could not promise I would ever get some of the plants. So I chose the refund.

I really think Burpee needs to look at their shipping process. It hurts to see plants mistreated so badly. Next year I will get seeds from Totally Tomatoes, probably, and grow my own. I did some this year for plants I could not get, and it worked out pretty well.

My previous experiences with Burpee in years past have been good. I hope they can get some of these bugs (heh heh) worked out.
On March 7th, 2013, lilygrandma changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Great, quick service. Hate how expensive they have become, but if the seeds are as good as usual I will be molified.
Neutral ladysoth
Alexandria, VA
February 3, 2013
I've never had any issues with Burpee customer service or their products, but I am giving them a neutral rating simply because of their outrageous prices - they are one of the highest retailers out there and their prices for most of their seeds is crazy.
Positive redmenace8
La Puente, CA
February 3, 2013
I have ordered from Burpee from time to time and have no real problems. I tend towards ordering vegetable seeds, and only rarely flower seeds. The seeds have been of good quality, and produced excellent results. While I now look for seeds coming from smaller producers, I have to praise them for what they have done for me. The one time I had problems, sunflower seeds that turned out to be the wrong color and corn seeds with poor germination, the company immediately offered a refund with no problems, which I received quickly.