The scoop on 'Swenson Gardens'

Swenson Gardens

Howard Lake, Minnesota 55349-0209 (United States)

Phone: (763) 350-2051

Comments:

Positive LaurenGormly
Dallas, GA
October 11, 2011
I ordered 4 peonies (Joker, Rose Pearl, Norma Volz, and Petite Elegance) and the roots are so huge with several eyes on them. They have a great selection of peonies, but not as many as Klehm's nursery. But the size and quality of their roots are much much larger than anything I have ever seen from Klehm's! The quality surpasses the somewhat limited collection. Yet they have a lot of peonies that are rare that I've never heard of before. And their prices are a little better too. I love that this is a family owned business. Thanks for taking great pride in what you do and providing beautifully grown peonies for those who love them! I can't wait to see the blooms on these beauties. Oh and I love how they show three stages of the peony bloom on the website (just opening, middle, and full blossom.) No one else does that!
Positive bryana
Albany, NY
October 5, 2011
I ordered three peonies - the roots were the longest, fattest roots I have ever received. Smaller selection then some other catalogs but very good plants. I would order from them again.
Positive jatroxel
South Bend, IN (Zone 5a)
October 16, 2010
I ordered 6 varieties of peonies. Three of them were ITOH, The roots sent were HUGE! I will be surprized if they don't all bloom the first season. Previously I had ordered Bartzella from another mail order company that sent a 4 inch pot for $40. Four years later I am still waiting to see a bloom! I would highly recomment this company. You can order from them without worry. The packing material is all green so there is no worry about the environment. Thanks for a great ordering experience!
Positive akitalady
Albany, NY (Zone 5a)
October 11, 2010
I found Swenson's website during an extensive Googling session. Their site appealed to me - it was well-designed, and I liked that they are a family-run business.

Their selection was very good, with some varieties listed that you don't find everywhere, e.g., "fragrant rose", which I'd been searching for. So, I took a chance and placed an order.

My order arrived on Friday, 9/8. When I opened the box, I actually gasped in amazement - in all my years of purchasing peony rootstock, I have never received anything like the roots Swensons sent. One root had 18 big eyes, others, 12 to 14. The least amount was 8 eyes on a root. And, the roots were in perfect shape, and just the right size for planting.

Almost forgot to mention - all packing material used is "green", nothing plastic or non-recyclable.

Thank you, Swensons!
Positive ricochetvigil
Santa Fe, NM
October 4, 2009
I ordered two peonies from Swenson Gardens. I just received them in the mail and the box was so heavy that I thought they sent more than I had ordered. When I opened it, I was amazed at the size of the peony roots. One root was almost 15" long and had 16 eyes on it. I can hardly wait for spring to see the beautiful new peonies now in my garden. Added benefit is that the Swensons are such nice people. Will definitely order more from them!!
Positive lily_digger
Spring Park, MN (Zone 4a)
July 4, 2007
Purchased Peony 'The Fawn' from Swenson Gardens fall of 2006. It was a strong root, wintered well in zone 3 where I planted it, and produced two perfect blooms the first year. Very nice stock and super nice people to do business with.