The scoop on 'Texas Tomato Cage'

Texas Tomato Cage

807 B Veterans Blvd 303
Del Rio, Texas 78840 (United States)

Phone: 1-877-983-4646

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Positive gardenwheels
Athens , NY (Zone 6a)
June 29, 2012
I don't know if it's new policy, but shipping is now part of the price, and I had very good luck with the (nationally known) shipper. And while the price is hefty, so is the quality of the product. They're amazingly strong. I find the two-part design gives them real flexibility, too -- I use one piece to cage shorter plants (like eggplants and dahlias), and stick the two together for tomatoes. I've had one set for close to a decade and they're still in service. Just ordered another six. Such nice people, too.
Neutral elkwc36
Elkhart, KS
July 31, 2011
The best cage on the market. They only offer the option of one shipper. The shipper that I've experienced the most trouble with. The first six cages arrived in good shape last year. The next 12 and the boxes they were in looked like they had been ran though a durability test. As sturdy as they are they were distorted. Appeared to have been dropped on their ends among other things. It is hard to fit the top on the bottom because of this. I would like to order 18 more. But they won't use any other shipper and I don't feel at the price I'm paying I should have to straighten out cages upon arrival. As soon as they decide to offer other shipping options then I will upgrade my review to positive.
Neutral Californian
Fullerton, CA
May 6, 2011
After some research I think these may be the best tomato cages currently available, but they are way overpriced, especially after you throw in the $32 they charge to ship a box of six cages.
My main complaints are:
They are two piece, and I was told they designed it this way so they wouldn't have to pay oversize shipping charges to ship them, but I think this weakens them.
Second, they tend to want to fold up on you, the only thing that prevents this is the legs being stuck in the dirt. They should have some positive locking mechanism to prevent this. This year I will pound a piece of rebar into the ground along side one edge of the cage to try to prevent this.
Third, the tubular connectors are not galvanized on the inside and will rust.
Fourth, the lowest circular hoop did show some rust where it made constant contact with the ground.

But that said the company ships promptly, and unless I find something better I will probably order another box.
Positive loonybin
Vergas, MN
January 22, 2011
Ordered 6 large cages last year 6' by 24". I used them along side four 54" heavy duty conical cages I bought at the box store. By the time the plants filled both types out, the 54" cages were bending over -- while the Texas Tomato Cages didn't even flinch. To top it off, I had the row of 6 Texas Tomato Cages planted from east to west, and we got documented 70 mph winds from the north during a bad storm. My tomatoes didn't topple! The other cages bent over from ground level. There were trees down everywhere -- but this single row of tomatoes in the TT cages were standing up straight! I give them an A-1 rating. These cages looked great with no rust by the end of the season. I will be buying more, and tossing out the old, bent cages "heavy duty" I bought for $10 each at the big box store.
Positive VAgardener2
Richmond , VA (Zone 7b)
April 13, 2010
I ordered a six-pack of the large tomato cages (6 ft by 2 ft). They arrived very promptly. They look very nice and sturdy. Ordered another six-pack today to have enough for my tomatoes.

I would recommend this company and their product.
Positive AZPHATMAN
Mesa, AZ
March 21, 2010
I ordered some cages and extensions from this company a few years ago. These cages are very sturdy and fold well for storage. However mine have been out in the weather for three years now and there is not a sign of rust anywhere. Can you say built to last?
Positive txgal2
Lake Jackson, TX
March 20, 2010
I've used these for several years and they are as advertised very study and use them over and over. About to order six more. Very prompt delivery.
Positive Dpar1
Santa Rosa, CA
October 11, 2009
These are without a doubt the best purchase I have made in a long time. The service was fast and courteous and the product is the best tomato cage you will ever own. They have with stood vines that normally cruch the standard cages sold else where. I am so happy with them that I am adding 6 more cages for next years garden. The cost is well justified for what you get.
Positive Moby
Lincoln, NE (Zone 5b)
July 29, 2009
With my tomatoes already outgrowing their standard "heavy duty" cages, I did a lot of research believing that there had to be something better out there but everything looked no better than what I already had. Thankfully I found the Texas Tomato cages ~ now these are what I call heavy duty!

Shipping was very prompt. I ordered the 24" x 6 ft. cages and the fact that they come in 2 parts made it super easy to slip right over the plants and existing cages. More expensive than other supports but you get what you pay for. After seeing the quality of the product I think it's a bargain.

You have to call their toll-free number to order and the gal that took my order was very quick and pleasant. I'll order again and recommend these to everyone.
Positive Barbsbackyard
Santa Barbara, CA (Zone 10a)
April 21, 2009
I've used these tomato cages for 3 years now. I love them.
They fold flat when not in use thus saving storage room in the
off season. They are quality built but are a bit on the expensive side at our local nursery. I finally ended up purchasing directly from the Texas Tomato Cage company.
They have always given me excellent service, shipped on time and delivered right to my door.
Positive nksps
Redwood City, CA
February 2, 2009
Love the tomato cages! They are sturdy and do not rust. I bought them locally at a garden store and have been using them for a couple of years now. They are easy to set up and easy to fold up and put away.
Neutral catapult
Walnut Creek, CA
January 21, 2009
Great product but overpriced. Would look for a local version. They are selling a product that you can buy retail at boutique nurseries for the same price. $25+ for shipping is too expensive for $100 worth of bent wire.
Positive ROLANDTODDS
Baytown, TX (Zone 9b)
May 1, 2005
hello,
I ordered 3 6 packs of the texas tomato cage and they are 8 foot 1/4" construction and the fold up cool!
they work good for me and if you dont see them you really cant apprecite them.

Mr. Todds
Neutral rubyredress
Beeville, TX
March 8, 2005
These cages are the best I've seen. They are heavy duty and fold up flat when your not using them. They will mail your cages right to your door. Some nurseries carry these cages but you can order off their website http://www.tomatocage.com! Maybe you will get lucky and get them at a show like the Neil Sperry Garden Show! Any way you choose, they are better than all the rest!
On March 17th, 2005, rubyredress added the following:

Find these cages at http://www.tomatocage.com

Note from the Garden Watchdog editors:

It is the policy of the Watchdog that companies may not pose as its own customer in order to leave feedback. The rating, written by a representative of this company, originally positive, was changed from positive to neutral so that it would not affect the overall rating given by customers.