The scoop on 'Eldon Tropicals'

Eldon Tropicals

Eldon Tropicals has 175 products listed in PlantScout.

6654 NE 25th Avenue
Ocala, Florida 34479 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-685-1533

Visit Eldon Tropicals at:

Company Comment, posted on January 10, 2006:
CHECK OUT OUR FEEDBACK ON EBAY/ community - USER ID: bugiha

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative RealMac
Long Beach, CA (Zone 10b)
June 22, 2014
After I placed my order through the web site in March, there was no news for several weeks. Eventually I sent an e-mail asking if they could estimate when my order would be shipped. They replied that part of the order should arrive about next Tuesday, the rest has not been shipped because the plant hadn't broken dormancy. Nothing happened, nothing ever arrived. I have inquired several times since, never got a reply, and it is now almost July. I regret very much that I have to give them a negative rating, as I know they have been a reliable vendor in the past.
Neutral magnaastra
Charleston, IL (Zone 6a)
June 19, 2014
Posted on June 14, 2014, updated June 19, 2014
Placed two orders on March 1. No communication in the interim, never received plants, no refund if unable to fulfill. Have contacted them, am waiting for response, will update then.
On June 19th, 2014, magnaastra added the following:

Received 'replacement' plants, mostly in pretty rough shape right out of the box. Sure one of the papaya is DOA, broken clear in half, elephant ears' stems pinched and crimped, packed too tightly in a too small box? Also received one smaller plant than what I'd paid for, larger size probably out of stock by now. Not happy, but not changing my rating since they did make the attempt. Probably will only buy here if I can't find it anywhere else.
Positive khalidjameel
Diwaniya
Iraq
June 12, 2014
The company Eldonaccess excellent in terms of
1 - The plants that I requested and sent to me are certain items that are offered on the website.
2 - There is interest in the packaging and conservation so as not to be affected plants during shipping.
3 - Commitment by the date specified in the international shipping without delay.
4 - On top of that she gave me free two plants did not order it purchase.
Positive lamarcoux
Middleburg, FL
April 18, 2014
Beautiful plant! I ordered an EVERGREEN WISTERIA - MILLETTIA RETICULATA. It arrived in great condition, looks very healthy, great service.
Positive alexgr1
Ocala, FL (Zone 9b)
July 24, 2013
Great place 5 star treatment and beautiful plants. I found plants here that I couldn't find in Puerto Rico and the prices are the best I've found in Florida for pre-bonsai. Love it and will return again and again.

Alex
Positive trackinsand
mid central, FL (Zone 9a)
July 18, 2013
Posted on September 12, 2012, updated July 18, 2013
Posted on March 22, 2007, updated September 12, 2012
i am very pleased with the plants i purchased recently. the customer service was awesome too. the box was damaged in shipping (not their fault) and one of the plants was broken. i emailed and was given a replacement plant immediately. they have a good selection of tropical plants and the prices are right. on a side note, i found this company quite by accident while looking for a specific plant. the company name leads you to believe that they don't sell plants, but perhaps garden "objects". check them out for unusual tropicals!
On September 25th, 2007, trackinsand added the following:

i just received another order today from eldon. what a fabulous customer service they have. brigitta sent a special free plant and went out of her way to hold my plants at the last minute due to illness in my family. she unpacked them and waited for me to let her know when they could be shipped. the vanilla orchid is huge as is the firespike and the other plants too. i continue to be impressed by their quality and kindness. you really can't go wrong ordering from eldon!
On September 12th, 2012, trackinsand added the following:

just received another order and as always, a treat to do business with!
if you love tropicals, you really should try this great seller.
On July 18th, 2013, trackinsand added the following:

just received another order and i must say again just how pleased i always am with this nursery. the communication is first rate, the shipping is fast and the plants are big and healthy.
i also must say that i wish more, no, all companies packaged plants the way eldon does. no muss, no fuss, no overdone, needless stuffing inside....just good common sense packing. i received an order from another company last week and the plants were double taped to the inside of the box in such a way that it was almost impossible to get them out with breakage. not so with eldon! they have it down pat and i applaud them for that.
i'll be back!
Positive Jnette
Northeast, WA (Zone 5a)
June 19, 2013
I placed my order in the spring so the weather wouldn't be too hot or too cold for them. I waited several weeks and saw my bank account had been charged for them right when I ordered. So I called the company and she said they would send them out the next day. So, I waited a couple more weeks and then called again. 2 long distance phone calls from Washington State, and was told they had been sent so would have to be replaced. Within a week I received the plants.

I had to think about the rating on this, but decided since the plants are growing and healthy, to give it a positive.
Negative lmclaren
Whitemarsh Island, GA
June 4, 2013
In early January, i ordered 4 plants. In mid- March, 2 plants arrived. The plants I received were well packed and are doing well. It took numerous emails to receive 2 plants. After 4 months and 6 emails I cancelled the remainder of my order. Communication and status updates were very poor.
Company representative comment on June 5, 2013:
On Jun 5, 2013 10:22 AM, Eldon Tropicals responded with:

We are very sorry that customer was not happy with our service. Ginger plant was not shipped with order, since it did not break dormancy Refund on ginger & full shipping charge for whole order was refunded promptly.

Positive voytek
Chicago, IL (Zone 5b)
April 5, 2013
I ordered from this company first time. Perfect service, wise packing method to set stress-less shipping. I recommend to buy from this company. Voytek from Chicago
Positive virginiarose
Southeast, VA (Zone 8a)
February 22, 2013
Posted on January 17, 2013, updated February 22, 2013
Posted on January 17, 2013, updated January 17, 2013
Ordered two Irises from this company after a google search for a beauty called 'Ann Chowning'. I was very happy to get them and surprised to get them so fast. Great packing method, love the care that went into this, and the plants were happy and healthy upon arrival. I love this company!
On January 17th, 2013, virginiarose added the following:

Highly recommend this company. I just ordered again!
On February 22nd, 2013, virginiarose added the following:

Got my second order and love this company. Big healthy plants and great packing.
Love my Banana Tree! :))
Positive hedy
Ocala, FL
October 15, 2012
I am posting now a long overdue feedback. I know the Eldon Tropicals nursery for almost 10 years. It is an excellent on-line nursery, but usually I go there in person to browse among their plants.

They have a unique selection of a few hundred kinds of rare and hard-to-find plants. The nursery is clean, free of plant diseases and it really is a paradise for plant enthusiasts. They have sometimes only a few of a single kind of plant, but the variety of selection is just amazing.

I know from experience and from seeing their operation, that they send nice sized plants, and more often than not the plants are way larger, nicer than their listings suggest. They are generous with gift plants to many of their customers if you order on-line or go there in person. Of course you can't expect a gift plant every time, but with larger orders, returning customers or having any other good excuse, you will likely to end up with an extra plant on top of what you have paid for.

They charge my card only at the time of shipping – or when I go their to pick up. (Most on-line companies charge for the plants at the time of the order placed. If later on it turns out, that they are out-of-stock of a particular plant, THEY make THEIR decision about a replacement plant. Than, in a couple of weeks they will send the plants. Sometimes it takes longer. Some companies have a practice to send the shipments quite late after the credit card charge was made, thus preventing complaint about the merchandise, or getting back the price of it, if otherwise it would be the course of action. I'm sure, some of my fellow plant-shoppers had such experience too.)

Thank you Eldon for being there for the rest of us plant-nuts for hunting down new and new plants every time I go there, or browse your inventory on-line.
Negative biggfurrydogz
Auburn
United States
October 13, 2012
My experience with Eldon's did not go well.

After placing my order I waited four or five days and did not receive my tracking information. During this time I realized the payment method I used had a hold on it due to an address change so I sent an email to inquire about my order. Their response was oh sorry no your payment did not go through. Most companies notify you immediately if there is a problem so it can be rectified, Eldon’s did not. This really surprised me especially since I had previously communicated with them about my interest in several plants.

When the plants arrived, one of them had light brown spots on the leaves but we repotted it anyway. This was a free plant, I'm guessing because of the issues with the payment although that was never made clear.

I waited about a month or so as I recall to update Eldon's on how the plants were doing. I informed them of the brown spots on one plant and that another plant had died. The third plant was holding on and the fourth plant had grown a small leaf. Their response was you're overwatering. Excuse me but the brown spots supposedly caused by overwatering were on the plant when it arrived....so, WHO WAS OVERWATERING the plant???

They did replace the plant that died with another small plant, one leaf died on the replacement plant and the other leaf went limp, this plant has not grown any new leaves.

This experience left me with plants that barely made it through the Summer and I would be very surprised if they survive the Winter. The worst thing for me is being told it is my fault and I’m to blame, what happened to “the customer is always right”???

I have been a gardener for over forty years and know how to water plants. One of the plants that I supposedly overwatered I have grown for years and know how to take care of.

Not only was this an aggravating and disappointing experience it was a waste of time and money. Why would I want to be a repeat customer or refer anyone to Eldon’s?

Company representative comment on October 14, 2012:
On Oct 14, 2012 9:15 AM, Eldon Tropicals responded with:

I am really sad & disappointed- After not being able to sleep after reading feedback- checked hundreds of orders- trying to identify customer- by 3 am, I’ve found the customer in Auburn & then checked all correspondence with customer(15 emails) and then remembered…. - We have really tried & tried to satisfy this customer ....... The plant- Alocasia plumbea nigra- that the customer has complained about , that 'it lost all but one leaf' - was promptly replaced with another- growing in 5" pot- it even had a small pup (USPS Tracking nr:
9405503699300090806703) . ...- NEVER heard any acknowledgment-as to receiving free replacement plant- or any complaint about it ........... The other plant- Alocasia African mask( sanderiana) - that 'developed brown spot on the middle of leaf' ( was a bonus plant) - as per my own personal experience- can happen by overwatering and /or bad air circulation – this was just a suggestion about possible reason for ‘brown spot’ –& definitely not a criticism of gardening abilities -since all plants are different -needing different care & many have different sensitivities . Just to recap :July 24th- received a really unfriendly email –scolding me for suggesting over watering …… but in spite of this unfriendly email – questioning the quality of our customer care - (that he read about on Dave’s) etc - his replacement plant was shipped out shortly after ., - In any case- all this happened late July - Did not hear from customer since 7/24/12- replacement Alocasia was received first week of August -Now it is mid October . Last contact w/ customer was prior shipping replacement plant on 7/24- nothing since …….As to not contacting him about declined cc- unfortunately declined credit cards are more frequent now- we try to run charge a second time about a week later- if it does not process- we contact customer- but I do not think it would be proper to repeatedly ‘push’ for payment- maybe customer just changed his mind ……… Order was placed 6/12- paid for 6/17 –shipped 6/18 . We are really sad, to find out 2 ˝ mo later here- that customer is unhappy even with replacement plant …….

Positive knoxgal
Knoxville, TN
September 14, 2012
Very pleased with the size and quality of my plants.

Also, they went out of their way to deal with a shipment problem. They replaced my plants without question and were responsive to my emails.

I would definitely buy from this company again.
Positive Silphion
Portland, OR (Zone 8b)
August 10, 2012
3 important factors: Were the plants what i ordered, healthy and undamaged? Yes\yes\yes. Was the financial transaction smooth and without drama? Yes. (Most important) were the plants packaged well? Oh YES. I've recieved plants from other companies who clearly have no idea how to package for cross country shipping and I'm glad to say that Eldon Tropicals knows what they are doing...couldn't be happier!!!
Positive Toni05
Brookfield, IL
June 21, 2012
Posted on November 1, 2007, updated June 21, 2012
This is the first time I've ordered from Eldonaccess, and it won't be a last.
Today I recieved 2 beautiful, healthy and colorful plants from Eldonaccess. ..A Pink Princess Philo and Picasso's Paintbrush Croton. I've been looking for this Philo quite some time, discovering prices as high as 29 and 39.00. When I found Eldon's, and there staring me in the face was a pretty Pink Princess for 20.00, I didn't know what to think..You all know how some people say you get what you pay for..On the contrary, at least in this case..I was shocked at its size after opening the box today.
She also sent a free Anthurium, which I thought a nice surprise, and even the freebie is good-size and healthy.
I spoke to the owner? on the phone. She's a very nice person and loves discussing plants..and helpful, too.
Plants are well-packaged..No broken stems or leaves.
Shipping time was super quick.
I hope Eldon's adds more plants to their site..Thanks Eldon's, and to the woman I spoke with on the phone..You were very helpful..Toni
On June 21st, 2012, Toni05 added the following:

Eldon's Tropicals have good-sized, healthy, rare plants.

I ordered Licuala Palm and Anthurium 'Vittarifolium.'

Both plants are good-looking, pest-free, and quite large.

Order arrived within a week.

Plant prices and shipping are very reasonable.

Thanks Eldon's. A 5* nursery.

Positive peony1066
Sugar Land, TX (Zone 9a)
April 12, 2012
I ordered two plants and received them within the week. They were in such good shape I was amazed. The prices were great, too.

I ordered an African Mask and a Snow banana. I'm not sure they even realized they've been boxed up and shipped. They are healthy with large leaves on the African Mask and nice looking leaves on the banana. I had expected a seedling or tiny pup but got much better.

I will order again from Eldon Tropicals.
Positive lostinthejungle
College Station, TX
February 10, 2012
Mid February and I'm doing my last minute ordering for spring. I've been looking for some Colocasia Gigantea Thailand bulbs for sometime, but most were over priced or not in stock or they wanted more in shipping than what the plant cost. Found them at Eldon Tropicals, ordered and received one a few days later and paid a very reasonable price. I thought I was getting a bulb in a box, but instead I got a beautiful young and vibrant plant, about 14" high with two beautiful leaves. The plant was packed VERY well and arrived in great condition. This was an online order, no hassle and immediate shipment and I am VERY pleased. I will recommend this company to friends and will no doubt be ordering more plants from them in the future.
Positive ashly204
June 7, 2011
Excellent customer service, plants are doing very well, timely shipping and delivery. Will use again and recommend to others.
Positive 1ronmar
Sacramento, CA
April 1, 2011
Great experience! My order was shipped quickly and packaged very carefully. The plant was good sized and I even received a couple dollars back since shipping wasn't as much as initially charged! I would never expect that from any company. And they gave me handwritten tips on how to care for it in my zone. Greatly recommend doing business with this company.
Positive Florida9
Palm Harbor, FL (Zone 9b)
March 28, 2011
I just received my first order from Eldon Tropicals, and I am extremely pleased. I ordered ginger, philodendron, and a golden lotus banana during the winter. Due to a very cold winter, Brigit offered to ship the others while waiting for my banana to break dormancy. I was fine waiting and everything shipped 3/21. The packaging was great and the plants healthy. They are planted out and doing well. I'm very pleased to find a good, reliable online nursery in FL, where I am confident the plants will be ready for our FL climate. I am preparing a new order for them now including some of their edible landscape plants!
Positive rhpfman
Lompoc, CA
November 12, 2010
Big, beautiful, healthy plants, great prices, speedy service. Who could ask for more? Thanks!
Positive Billblaise
Inverness, FL (Zone 9a)
October 31, 2010
The plants are very healthy and Briget is helpful and friendly. She is also a kind and selfless person, helping the people of Hungury after their flooding and loss.
Positive DoctorWho
Lakeland, FL
October 17, 2010
Consistent, reliable quality. These are simply the healthiest, freshest, and most viable plants you can order online. My multiple orders have always been timely, extremely well packaged, and better than expected. The plants I've received have always been even more mature and well established than their photos, so I always get more than my money's worth. When unpacked, the plants look like they came out of the greenhouse only moments before. Unexpected, free 'customer appreciation' gifts in your shipment are often a pleasant surprise. Email shipping notifications, fast answers to questions, and all other communications represent their outstanding service after the sale. They have my highest recommendation. You will not be disappointed. -Mike
Positive RI_Winemaker
Citrus Springs, FL (Zone 9b)
September 2, 2010
I went to visit them about a month ago along with my father. We where both impressed with the quality of plants offered and the pricing. Her knowledge and enthusiasm for her work was very evident. Definitely a good place to do business with and I highly recommend them to anybody looking for healthy and strong plants
Positive ycn4chin
Dickson, TN
July 30, 2010
Got my plants yesterday. Packaging was great. It has been extremely hot, and the plants did not look stressed. They were in transit only two days from FL to TN. I was glad I read the comments on Garden Watchdog before placing my first order with this company.
Positive plantswoman
Nashville, TN
July 25, 2010
this is the best experience I've had with a nursery found on the internet---I was looking for a specific rare tropical plant. they had it, they patiently and kindly told me in loving detail, and delivered the plant in perfect condition--packed carefully, shipped promptly--and priced fairly....what more can you ask for in a mail-order situation? bravo--HIGHLY recommended. Leann Barron, TN
Positive sassynay
Houston, TX
June 24, 2010
I had my order within 5 days and am very pleased with it. Even though the outer package had gotten pretty banged up, there was another strong inner packing that kept the plant safe.
Positive olddude
Big Pine Key, FL (Zone 11)
May 20, 2010
I had a great experience with this company. Shipping was within 2 weeks. One anthurim I ordered hadn;t survived the during the winter at her nursery so she adjusted my order, removed the charge and sent a complimentary plant. Packing was excellent, plant size was as expected, quality was great. I will do business with her again.
Scott(olddude)
Positive MBreen55
Philadelphia, PA
May 8, 2010
Great communication. Waited to ship when weather was warm and plants arrived very well packaged. I'm going to order more from Eldon.
Positive CherokeeGreg
Fresno, CA (Zone 9a)
March 25, 2010
Great Great Great !!!!!!!!!! This is my first order with this company. I love my plants. They waited to send them to me because of the weather. They care. They pack great. Plants are big they were not stressed out from Florida to California. I will be back again for another order for sure. They are the best I have delt with so far.
Thanks
Positive jaythestingray
Jackson, MS
March 24, 2010
Great experience! My order was shipped quickly and packaged very carefully. The communication was great also....thats always important to me. I was notified every step of the way and every question I had was answered quickly.
Positive veganman
Peoria, AZ (Zone 9b)
February 18, 2010
Exceptional quality, great size, AWESOME customer service! Plants arrived in perfect condition. I am very happy with my purchase!

Thanks Brigit!
Positive Floralkingdom
De Funiak Springs, FL (Zone 8b)
November 15, 2009
Posted on October 05, 2007, updated November 14, 2009
I just placed my first order with this company this week, and I have already received my plants! Fast shipping, the plants arrived well packaged and look great very healthy. One of the plants was out of stock which I understand it happens, they sent me a refund for that plant and even gave me a gift plant in its place all within the same order, and to top it off they included culture and care sheets for each plant! Great plants, healthy and large. I must say they pay attention to detail, I'm very happy with my order, and I'll be ordering lots more soon, highly recommended!
On November 15th, 2009, Floralkingdom added the following:

I placed two more orders with Eldon Accessories just recently. All the plants arrived safe and healthy, packaged with great care, they are wonderful to deal with over the phone, answered all my questions, they respond to emails fast, the shipping is fast, the owner even sends extra plants, and gift plants with the order, truly amazing. I keep coming back for more plants. Highly recommended!!
Positive Bonheur
Bonifay, FL
September 13, 2009
I have never dealt with a better company of any kind! The plants are beautiful, healthy and so well packed that even on a large order not a single leaf was broken! The customer service is awesome, too. The company has a toll-free number and you get to talk to the owner herself. She is very friendly, kind, and incredibly knowledgeable about the plants she grows and sells. She is extremely helpful and will give you any advice and answer any questions you have about her plants. When you place your order, expect really fast shipping. There is absolutely no way this company can improve. I wish all companies were even half as good as Eldon Access, it would be a great leap forward.
Positive DanKistner
Winter Haven, FL (Zone 9b)
July 21, 2009
I visited Eldon Accessories in person, I was working in the area and stopped by. It didn't seem like anyone was around so i left her a voice mail and started to leave. She called me back about 10 minutes later... She was in the green house and didn't hear the phone ring. Long story short, I turned around to see what she had. She had a great selection especially of aroids which I loved. I picked up a few things and she even gave me a discount for my troubles. I would definitely recommend this Nursery to anyone. She is extremely knowledgeable and very friendly. Good Company!
Positive nyvamp
Galveston, TX
May 10, 2009
Eldon is the best vendor period. I have never been more impressed anyone. Personable, professional, knowledgeable. Unfortunately my experience dealing with exotic growers has been less than pleasant. Eldon is the exception and I will purchase exclusively from them from now on. Their follow-up is exceptional, their stock is beyond compare. I found them through Dave's Garden and thank them for having a great grower.
Positive HoosierGreen
Danville, IN
December 21, 2008
I just this week received my first order from Eldon Access. I am extremely pleased and impressed. I called on Monday (to pay with credit card). We discussed the nasty weather forecast for my area, and she shipped the plant to arrive exactly on the one warm day the same week. On top of that, she shipped a larger plant than what was ordered, at no extra charge, and a with reasonable shipping charge. Delightful person to talk to, with great email confirmations. I'm calling in my second and larger order next week! I wish that all mail-order places were this well-organized, dedicated, and knowledgeable.
Positive PamelaQ
Navarre, FL (Zone 8b)
November 20, 2008
I received my 2 plants yesterday, which was Wednesday. I just placed my order Friday. Very fast shipping, well packed with NO damage at all, well rooted plants with very healthy green leaves and the start of two buds - what more could one expect? A great experience and I would definetly buy from here again!!!
Positive dreamscapers
Westford, MA
November 18, 2008
I ordered a Papaya and Vanilla Orchid from Eldon, and bothe were much better size than I'd seen in other catalogs for a great price. The orchid got irreperably damaged in shipping, despite being really well packed, and a perfect, even lustier replacement was sent immediately. Really nice, professional company. 'Brigitta' gave lots of great care advice on the phone, too.
Positive jdo1217
El Mirage, AZ (Zone 9b)
November 17, 2008
Just received my first shipment from Eldon Accessories and am extremely pleased with the quality of the plants and the care of the packaging. Great communication and service. I definitely recommend this company.