The scoop on 'Atlantic Avenue Orchid and Garden Center'

Atlantic Avenue Orchid and Garden Center

5217 Atlantic Avenue
Raleigh, North Carolina 27616 (United States)

Visit Atlantic Avenue Orchid and Garden Center at:

This company offers a variety of gardening supplies and seeds.

Comments:

Positive wolfchic
May 22, 2013
Just found this place and love it! Plants are well taken care of and the staff was very helpful. I found beautiful pond plants and a wide variety of tomato plants.
Positive earthmamma919
Cary, NC
January 31, 2013
I got an arrangement made at the orchid open house and it's breathtaking! I've never seen anything like it. Nothing in this area compares. I'll never get orchids anywhere else.
Positive Lisa44
Wake Forest, NC
January 7, 2013
They have the best selection and very helpful staff!
Negative lenorede
May 8, 2012
This is my second year purchasing vegetable plants at Atlantic Orchid and Garden Center. I had no problems last year, but this year I had a problem with two Big Bertha Red Pepper Plants. I purchased them on 4/27 and transplanted them on 4/29. Within two days, all the leaves on one plant had fallen off with no apparent sign of damage, and most of the leaves on the other one fell off as well. I called the garden center, and no one could explain what they thought could have happened. One person suggested it could have been voles, but I told her that wasn't possible since it was a container garden. I thought they might tell me to bring the plants back so they could look at them and possibly replace them, but they didn't. All I was told was that Bob, who has a big farming background, was on vacation, and there was no one else to help. Looks like I'll have to find a nursery with better customer service.
Positive tggfisk
Garner, NC (Zone 7b)
May 20, 2009
I sent a co-worker there to find a tree that she had been having trouble finding in stock locally. Employees had been very helpful on the phone, and equally helpful when she arrived. She found a beautiful specimen on sale. And now, she thinks that I'm very smart for sending her there:) What's not to like about that?!
Negative plantista
May 5, 2009
Expect Less/ Pay More

The retail super giant Target's slogan: Expect More, Pay Less is appropriately titled. However, Atlantic Avenue Orchid & Garden slogan should be titled: Expect Less, Pay More!

I am a garden fan and have been checking around at the local NC garden centers. I was very disappointed with Atlantic Ave. While they have variety in plants, they lack variety in outdoor furniture, lawn control, mulch products,
and garden structures. Also, in comparing their prices to some of the other garden centers, they are not competitively priced. In most cases, they are priced higher and they are lacking in product quality.

They have some staff members who are full of enthusiasm and knowledge and then others who seem bored, apathetic, and in some cases rude. You just have to hope you get one of the better ones. I unfortunately got stuck with one of the rude ones. They seemed as though I was bothering them when I asked questions and they were in a hurry to move on. That's just lousy customer service. I do not think I will be back again.

I

I
Negative Patrickgardener
April 24, 2009
I had gone to the garden center after seeing an ad in the New publication Triangle Gardener. It is not an obvious location and difficult to see from the road. Once in the garden center it looks pretty, but the store and the snotty staff were very unfriendly.

It is very expensive and the quality of the plants are not up to the standard of other centers. It was a very hot day and just no shade to relax in like the garden hut nearby.

Would I go back? No, as it was a very unpleasant experience and not worth shouting about.
Positive deboing
Cary, NC
April 29, 2006
It's a wonderful place with lots of helpful people, especially Dave. Go with your wish list and he will walk around with you and find all the plants as well as give advice on when and how to plant what you've purchased.

There is a lot more of the place then what you see out front. There is a beautiful area in the woods, filled with trees and shrubs. There's a mailbox in the woods with leaflets explaining the characteristics of the trees and shrubs.

I always purchase more than I can plant but eventually it all gets into the ground. I don't know a gardener that doesn't have this problem.

You can't go wrong by shopping here.

Debo Ing