The scoop on 'Gossler Farms Nursery'

Gossler Farms Nursery

1200 Weaver Road
Springfield, Oregon 97478 (United States)

Comments:

Positive seagardener
Southport, ME
November 5, 2013
Posted on February 23, 2012, updated November 5, 2013
I really like Gossler Farms Nursery. They cater to plant collectors and offer a wide variety of unique & rarely offered plants for fair & affordable prices. I ordered a golden leaved Catalpa tree and three unusual mock oranges: one variegated, one with gold foliage plus a 'Bell Etoile'. All arrived in excellent condition, the mock oranges were larger than expected, bloomed soon after planting and performed well in the garden. Gossler's catalog & website have few photographs so I do Google image searches while looking at their catalog which is helpful. Some things are so rare, not much information or photos is available even online. I submitted another order this season and although I did receive an e-mail confirmation, an itemized list of what I ordered was not included ; I may have inadvertently selected that preference during check-out however. All said: highly recommended!
On November 5th, 2013, seagardener added the following:

Ordered 8 more plants from them this spring; all were in excellent health, considerably larger than expected and have put on significant growth this season.
Negative tailzzz24
Kutztown, PA
May 29, 2013
I ordered one disanthus cercidifolius plant and decided the next day that I wanted two instead. Since I wasn't sure how quick they'd ship, I sent an email asking the company if I could still add an additional plant to my order. I received no response, so I decided to call. The lady who answered seemed to be familiar with the email I'd sent, and she agreed to send an additional plant. I was a little irked that they had apparently read my email and hadn't taken the time to reply, but I didn't say anything.

Anyway, about 3 weeks went by and I hadn't received any shipment notification, so I sent another email asking when I could expect to receive my plants. Once again, I received no reply. I even resent the email - still no reply. So I decided to call once again, even leaving messages on voicemail (which is all I was getting - voicemail), but still no reply. In one of the messages I left I made sure to point out that I'd given them my credit card number and that I (therefore) deserved an answer - not that being a human being shouldn't already warrant me the respect of an answer. I did eventually get through, spoke with the same lady I'd spoken with the first time, who once again seemed to be familiar with my woes. I bit my tongue realizing that I'd (once again) been ignored. In a bothered tone of voice she told me the plants had shipped.

Okay, so the box arrives maybe 5 days later. The plants were much larger than expected (I'll give them that), but they were in pretty bad shape.

Both plants were loaded with woody nubs from branches that had snapped long ago, and the branch structure on both of these plants was similar to what you might find if you were to place a plant in a forest and allow it to grow amongst brush and fallen trees for several years - twisted branches snapped off at 90 degree angles.

The roots were dry, and one of the root balls had crumbled in the plastic bag in transit, so many of the leaves on both plants were wilting on arrival. I planted them in pots immediately, watered them, and though initially a few of the branches perked up, by the next morning they were already wilting again. As branches continue to wilt, more and more branches are having to be removed.

I would call or email the company, and still may, but I am not very hopeful that this company would ever respond. Bottom line - customers are not a priority, and neglected plants are apparently deemed suitable to sell.
Positive PlantRabid
Williams, OR
October 31, 2012
Absolutely superb and very large plants, perfectly packed to prevent damage during shipping! Also excellent prices and wonderful selection of unusual plants. I ordered about 6 plants a month ago, and when they arrived, I was so impressed that I immediately sent off for more plants, which just arrived today. The plants are way way larger than most mail order companies send, and these have the most scrumptious fall colors on the leaves right now. It has started raining today so is perfect for planting.
Positive colchie
Vashon, WA (Zone 8a)
May 31, 2012
I ordered a peony lutea ludlowii from Gossler Farms, after I saw one growing south of Tacoma. I had expected an 8-12 inch plant for the very reasonable price. Instead I received a VERY HEALTHY nicely branched 2 1/2 foot plant well packaged, and without even a shipping bruise. I am very impressed! I will definitely order from them again.
Positive Optimistic_Otto
Columbia, IL
May 31, 2010
I ordered two Michael Dodge Viburnums during late summer 2009, and they arrived in a fall shipment. They were in good condition and good size. Gossler Farm is in Oregon and I am in Illinois.
Spring 2010 my Michael Dodge Viburnums leafed out and bloomed at the same time as my Cardinal Candy Viburnums. May 31, 2010 there is evidence of a good fruit set on both varieties of Viburnum. Thank You Gossler Farms for carrying this hard to find variety of Viburnum.
Positive atajr
Detroit, MI
May 17, 2010
I received my plants a few days ago. I was very impressed with their large size, and health. Keep up the good work!!
Positive Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA (Zone 7a)
April 7, 2009
I just got my spring order from Gossler's last night, and was very pleased. Plants were well packed, healthy, and very nice sizes for mail-order This is the third order I have made from them in as many years, and I have never been disapointed.
Positive mtnqueen
Ellijay, GA
November 26, 2008
This was my first experience with Gosslers and it was first class all the way. The plants received are extraordinary. I am so very pleased. The packaging was meticulous too !!!! Great job.
On March 19th, 2009, mtnqueen added the following:

March 19--I have now received my fourth order and all plants are in the ground. All the plants received are healthy, vibrant and just what you would want them to be or even better. Gosslers has the greatest selection.Their packaging is perfect. Great place to deal with.
On March 19th, 2009, mtnqueen added the following:

Positive peter_w
Newton, NJ
October 25, 2008
Gossler Farms is one of those nurseries that always does everything right. I've ordered many times from them and have always been completely satisfied. This fall I ordered Helleboris "Neon yellow', C. Kousa "Akatsuki & Hamamelis " Allgold". All were healthy, robust plants of generous size & very well packed. One of my favorite nurseries!
Positive mwieder
Beachwood, OH
May 27, 2008
Placed my first order with Gossler this season. Despite the slow ground shipping from the West, the plant matter all arrived fresh and intact. Their packing was excellent. They are slow to respond to email - perhaps checking it only 1 or 2 times a week which I found out when I contacted them due to the following issue: 2 of the plants they sent would easily fit into a quart containers and just because they came from a gallon pots, doesn't make them gallon sized plant,s which is what I paid for. They acknowledged the issue and agreed to refund me for 1 of the 2 plants.
Negative Mike_PNW_Z7
Stanwood, WA
April 19, 2008
Gossler advertised Red Majestic Corylus. and I quote "This is one of the first offerings of C. 'Red Majectic' and these plants are layers so there will not be any understock to prune." So I ordered two as I don't want to fight suckers. when the plant arrived they were clearly grafted as well as very small, which I have come to expect from Gossler.

I called them and all they would offer is a 4 dollar per plant refund. I could have gotten the same larger grafted plant down the road at the nursery for cheaper. It is now two months later and they still haven't corrected their web ad for the same plant. So buyers beware this company knowingly misrepresents their nursery stock. I will certainly avoid them in the future as small plants plus false advertising plus poor customer service = 3 strikes you are out.
Negative plant_collector
Oak Ridge, TN
March 15, 2008
I sent these folks a simple email question about shipping for an order I intended to submit. I sent the email twice and they never bothered to answer either time. I figured if they don't think I'm important enough to answer an email they don't need my order and I never sent it.
Negative valleyclay
Staunton, VA
October 25, 2007
My experience has been somewhat different than other folks...

I ordered plants late in the shipping season last Spring and without telling me they placed the order for Fall delivery and I quite forgot about it. The plants were shipped one Monday and arived nine days later. The Davidia was not dessicated and had fat buds but all the leaves were off and the Cornus alternifolia argentea, though of good size, had a dead leader that had been dead for some time so now I am forced to train a new leader. They did not respond to three emails and have yet to do so.
Positive ecrane3
Dublin, CA (Zone 9a)
October 18, 2007
I just placed my first order with Gossler Farms and I was very pleased. They accidentally sent me the wrong plant at first, but I contacted them and they emailed me back right away saying they would fix it, and 3 days later the correct plant was waiting for me on my doorstep. The plant was also larger than I expected for the price, and was very healthy. I'll definitely add them to my list of places to shop for plants!
Positive caliloo
somewhere, PA (Zone 7a)
June 3, 2007
I ordered 2 shrubs and a tree from Gossler this spring. The shrubs were large for 1 gal plants and arrived in perfect shape. The tree was disappointing, but a phone call to Gossler's got a replacement shipped very quickly. The replacement was very satisfactory. Excellent customer service and plants, I would highly recommend this nursery.

Positive willis_mckenna
Lombard, IL (Zone 5b)
April 18, 2007
I ordered two 1 gal trees from them and they arrived in perfect shape. Trees were a very nice size and the root balls were large and in great shape, especially considering that these were slower growing trees. I would not hesitate to order from them again. Great company.
Positive tbuff
Canton, GA
December 14, 2006
Gossler Farms is a good source of unusual plants. I ordered from them back in the 1990's. Their quality was excellent then and it continues to be excellent. In a recent order I received very strong-looking plants that were packed with the utmost of care-some of the best packaging technique I have seen. I highly recommend them.
Positive gardenguy78
Seattle
United States
December 7, 2006
I ordered the package #1 from Gossler Farms. It was advertised as 17 plants for $250 and there were a couple of my favorites in there, like Magnolia denudata, a great Acer and a Stewartia. I expected small plants given their relative rarity and slow rate of growth. Wrong. All 17 plants were huge and healthy and well-packed.
Positive UKtransplant
Riverside, IL
August 20, 2006
In 15 years scouring and buying from U.S. suppliers, Gossler Farms is BY FAR the best mail order nursery I have ever used. Their plants are beautiful, they have very strong root systems, they are impeccably shipped and the place is run by really nice and honorable people.
Positive provincialblond
Lansing, MI
June 8, 2006
Letter sent to Gossler Farms-Waiting for response**
email sent June 8 2006

Dear Marj,
I received my tree(ACER CAMPESTRE CARNIVAL) 2 days ago and planted it immediately upon receiving it.
80 percent of the tree had wilted leaves with the exception of two small leaves at the bottom which seemed to be ok. The roots seemed to be moist but am concerned about the tree as a whole. I've ordered maple trees from Greer Gardens on the west coast and the leaves were quite perky and lively. What are you best tips for me to revitalize this tree: Heavy watering, special fertilizer, etc. ????

Yours truly,
Kriss Schrandt
On June 16th, 2006, provincialblond changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Gossler sent a new plant which was in excellent conditon: I appreciate the company's ability to right a wrong. Many Kudos.
Positive MaryDS
Bath, NY
May 20, 2006
We live in New York State and Gossler is in Oregon. The tree and shrub we received from them two days ago and planted yesterday and today were as fresh as if we had purchased them from a local nursery, as opposed to having them shipped across the country. Their packaging system is excellent, and I firmly believe that these items are going to grow beautifully. We will order from them again next year.
Positive isabella
Taunton, MA
May 3, 2006
Just got in my order, and I had to add a comment to GW-dawg! I was very pleasant surprised to see the size of the box; I thought it was my order from another company. The box was 3.5 feet high and contained a very green and thriving shrub. The packing was good. The plant was an usual species, so I was expecting a small mailorder plant. The tree was 2.5 feet high, well-rooted, and thriving...
I will order from these guys again.
Positive ealbr
Racine, WI
May 4, 2005
I recently received this year's order from Gossler Farms and WOW !! I was really impressed! The trees and shrubs were huge - much larger than you would expect to receive from mail order - packed well and they were growing beautifully. Unique trees I have ordered in the past continue to do well in my garden. If you are looking for unusual, healthy plants, check out their listing.
Neutral lego_brickster
Lawrenceville, PA (Zone 5b)
May 2, 2005
This company has a great selection and prices.

However, I have so far been unable / unwilling to purchase from them - their last spring ship date is well before our last frost date of May 1.
I am unwilling to risk my plants sitting in a UPS truck overnight somewhere and freezing when Gossler Farms has no firm guarantee.

They really need to extend their ship dates a little bit to accomodate some of the colder areas of the country.
Positive hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA
June 6, 2002
I ordered a small tree and shrub from this company the first summer we were hit with a bad drought. Both plants were much larger than I expected, were very carefully packed for shipping and were the only things I planted that year that survived. Despite two additional years of drought, they have thrived.

They have an unbelievable selection of magnolias, but also many other plants you won't find anywhere else and the prices for the size are very reasonable.

I just wish they had a website.
Positive Canescens
May 26, 2002
The premier nursery for magnolias. Service is exceptional. Large catalog is a wealth of horticulutral "gems."
Positive dhartson
February 1, 2000
I ordered two items from them last spring. Everything else I planted last spring died thanks to the severe drought. The Parrotia and false cypress I ordered from Gossler are doing fine. I checked the Parrotia today - it's budding out. The plants were beautifully packed for shipping. Arrived looking fresh as daisies and were larger than I expected. I will definitely order from them again.
Positive BorisBauer
Easley, SC
February 1, 1999
Being a magnolia enthusiast, Gossler Farms is my continuous fall back catalog. Each Fall I'm delighted to receive their catalog. Prices are moderate and "deals" abound within their pages. Packaging is professional (and the one time UPS did a number on a box, the Gossslers immediately replaced the plants no questions asked). I have ordered from Gosslers for nine years and have been very pleased with the plants, exceptional root development, and accurate plant descriptions in the catalog. Mrs. Marj Gossler even called me once when she questioned me on an ordered plant that she thought would be too tender for my planting area. She was most right after I had done a bit more investigation about the said plant. An exceptionally nice site to work with.
Positive rickmeigs
February 1, 1999
I have ordered from them twice now. Found them to be very responsive, the plants were well packed, and of good quality.
Positive RobertDBocksch
September 1, 1998
My wife and I have been dealing with mail order nurseries for 35 years. We have ordered dozens of fruit trees, shrubs, perennials, and annuals from companies all over the country. We have had generally positive experiences with the companies, except for a few. Gossler deals with trees and shrubs mainly, plus a few perennials. They lean toward the exotic or rare plants. Their list emphasizes magnolias, dogwoods, hydrangeas, and other "sophisticated" varieties. Prices are moderate. I have ordered from them for six years, and have always received outstanding plants (large, healthy, not destroyed in shipping).