The scoop on 'Greer Gardens'

Greer Gardens

1280 Goodpasture Island Road
Eugene, Oregon 97401 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-548-0111

Visit Greer Gardens at:

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive BlackDogKurt
Seymour, CT
April 7, 2014
I ordered two rhododendrons and a mountain laurel this spring, which is the first time I had the opportunity to purchase something from Greer Gardens. One of the items that I ordered was damaged by the conditions they had at their nursery this past winter, but they contacted me promptly by email and asked if I wanted a substitution instead.

Last week, the plants I ordered arrived exactly within the date range I requested. Everything was extremely well packed and secured. All the plants were healthy and in very good condition. I would not hesitate to recommend Greer Gardens and I will be sure to use them again in the future.
Positive Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA (Zone 6b)
March 25, 2014
I ordered 4 deciduous Azaleas recently and received them a few days ago. Immediately, I unpacked them and it took me about 10 minutes to do so because the plants were so meticulously packaged! I was really impressed how they packed them. All of the plants were in excellent shape and were of superior quality. I had to pot them up for now since they broke dormancy and we're still in the low 20s overnight this week. I look forward to planting them and enjoying their flowers in the garden!
Positive vossner
Richmond, TX (Zone 9a)
February 4, 2013
What a fantastic company with whom to deal! The plants were superior and so professionally packaged. Their pride and enthusiasm for what they do shows from beginning to end of transaction. I highly recommend Greer Gardens. Would love to visit in person.
Positive mtnqueen
Ellijay, GA
October 16, 2012
Posted on June 2, 2009, updated October 16, 2012
June 2, 2009
My first experience with Greer--obviously a "class act". I ordered 2 Nandina Harbor Belle. Plants arrived in absolute perfect condition even with 90 degree heat lately here in GA. Fed-Ex driver also deserves credit since he had the plants with him in the A/C part of the truck.
Packing was perfect, very clever brace held plants exactly in place.I am completely pleased and look forward to dealing with Greer again.
On October 16th, 2012, mtnqueen added the following:

Oct 16 2012 To deal with the very best ---deal with Greer. I asked well in advance for a certain shrub (hydrangea Lemon Wave) for a gift for a friend in another state. Not only did the entire transaction go perfectly, my friend was thrilled with the shrub she received. Geoff was unbelievable to deal with. No charge until plant was shipped, it arrived exactly as I asked. Couldn't have gone better.
Positive psychloman
Brooklyn, NY (Zone 7a)
June 16, 2012
A month ago I received an enormous Crinodendron hookerIanum and a nce sized Embothrium coccineum.Neither of these plants is suitable to my climate but, so far, both are doing well in pots. Despite the three thousand mile journey, neither plant showed any sign of stress. I am very happy with the quality and service.Also a fascinating list of plants not available on the east coast.Order #75135
Positive bob6441
Doylestown, PA
June 9, 2012
I hope it is helpful to know that Greer has been excellent for decades. My first order from their catalog was in 1989. The trees were impossible to find elsewhere, arrived beautifully packaged and are still thriving. The catalog was, and is, a bit "gushy" in praise of its selections--but hey, you can't blame them for loving plants too much.
Positive neartheheart
Plano, TX
March 26, 2012
I ordered a specimen tree for my daughter, it came promptly in incredible packaging...I do not think I have ever seen packaging as they do...not even remotely close. They respond quickly and wish I had an excuse to order again...they are the poshished plant company I have ever ordered from, though they seemed new to retail one could tell they had been wholesale and were accustomed to dealing fairly with people. They are probably one of the best out there. I would not hesitate to order from this company and highly recommend them.
Positive Frank1965
Shreveport, LA
February 22, 2012
About the best service and selection you can find anywhere. The packaging is amazing- I do a lot of mail order and this is the finest that I have seen, not a broken leaf or loose soil to be seen. The rhodos were extremely nice and robust and almost looked like they came from someone's yard. This is the reason that they have been in business so long. A model other companies should take note of.
Positive 2862scooter
East Greenwich, RI
February 4, 2012
I placed an order in the spring with Greer Gardens. The plants arrived in very good condition. I ordered several Camellia and Daphne. I was a little concerned that the rootballs had been trimmed too much, but all plants seem to be thriving. The deer have started in on the camellia in the back, but Greer can hardly be faulted for that. Very good service and very good plants. A+. The only caveat I would add is that because there is some fungal or spore present in the western US region where Greer is located that has not made it east the RI Horticultural Dept took leaf cuttings to test before they would allow me to plant the Camellia. The samples came back negative, but it was a hassle. Again, no fault of Greer Gardens. Good plants, good people...
Positive plantmania
Kimje-si
South Korea
May 9, 2011
Posted on May 9, 2011, updated May 9, 2011
I am a Korean addicted to rhodies. I've been importing quite a few rhodo cultivars from the Greer Gardens in recent years. Harold Greer, the president of the company, has been fastidious in meeting the Korean plant quarantine requirements. All the necessary steps including barerooting/washing/packaging for the survival/well-being of the plants were meticulously followed. I was very much satisfied with the quality of his services and tecommend highly of his company for those who are interested in importing rhodies or other plants from the US.

Byoung Sup Ghill
an ARS/RSF/RHS member
On May 9th, 2011, plantmania added the following:

a typo
tecommend - recommend
Positive bluestar0077
Federal Way, WA
March 29, 2011
First let me say that I do not represent myself as any kind of expert on rhododendrons and certainly not on other types of plants. I have been studying and planting rhododendrons for over thirty years. I am lucky enough to live just a few miles from the Rhododendron Species Foundation in Federal Way, Wa. I spent years as a volunteer helping tend the bushes there. I do read a lot.
I believe that Harold is a product of The University of Oregon in Eugene, Or. and graduated from there. His is a duck I guess. He is indeed a world authority on rhododendrons and has a rare eye for beauty in plants.
They have one of the most extensive collections of species rhododendrons and hybrids that I have come across. Any bush you bought there would be a superior addition to your collection. Greer Gardens has extensive offerings in trees, Magnolias, Camellias, Japanese Maples are one of my interests, vines, perennials etc. etc. If he only carried roses it would be too overwhelming. I am a private customer and I do not know Harold or his wife Nancy other than to recognize them when I am at their business.
My wife and I have been taken around to look at plants by, I believe, Margaret and she is so sweet and you can feel her love of plants in her voice and her touch. I am just thankful there are business like this. I wrote this because of self interest. I never want to be cheated of special businesses like this
Positive moosewood
Dewitt, MI (Zone 5a)
March 21, 2011
I would like to put in a general good word for Greer Gardens.
They were one of the first mail-order companies I purchased from in the mid-90's, when I first began to garden seriously. (Ie. blow a lot of dough on plants).

Their "Justly Famous for the Rare and Unusual" very much stimulated my interest in plants.
Since then, I have ordered shrubs, Azalea, Rhodo, one of Harold Greer's books on Rhodos, Grasses, and perennials from them.
Their plants arrive in good order, at the as-advertised size, and in good shape.
They appreciate, but do not take advantage of, my requests for substitute items.
I don't any complaints about their product quality, and have spoken with them on the phone over the past...however many... years.
They are decidedly Family-Owned, and proud of what they offer.
Check out their website, do some research, order as you like, and enjoy their product.
Moosie
Positive metalluk
Saunderstown, RI
November 20, 2010
This fall, I placed three orders with Greer Gardens,, receiving a total of ten plants, all rhododendrons/azaleas. I found Greer Gardens originally through their website and was very impressed with their extensive inventory of rhododendrons, especially the species. Ordering by phone was a snap and the two people that I dealt with at various times were very pleasant and helpful. All of the plants were packed with great care and were in excellent condition. All are very lovely plants as well. Greer Gardens is an outstanding source for rare and unsual rhododendrons and I commend the staff for the quality of their service. I have already placed an order with them for the spring, having run out of planting time here in Rhode Island for the fall.
Positive hazy
Seattle, WA
October 28, 2010
I ordered a Rhododendron and Chinese Witch Hazel from Greer Garden's about a week ago after looking at their catalogue all year long. First of all I have to say that their inventory is impressive with many varieties that I could not find at local nurseries. I received my plants a couple of days ago and they came exactly as described. Both plants were packed with extreme care (some of the best I've seen) and appear large and very healthy. I will have to wait and see how they do after planting and give an update.

My only complaint (a very slight one) is that their online catalogue is not quite up to date. There were a few sizes of plants that were listed as available and when I called I was told otherwise and had to adjust my order. Also they listed the Witch Hazel at $29.95 for a 5-6' which would have been a screaming deal but when I called to order it they said it was a mistake and could send me a 3-4' for $39.95. The website was updated shortly thereafter and in the end I am happy with what I received.
Positive zafo
Saint Louis, MO
October 15, 2010
I have been toying with ordering Japanese Maples from Greer Gardens for a couple of years. I am glad I finally took the plunge! I received 4 beautiful Acer Japonicums and one minitature conifer. The packaging was done very well and the price was not bad considering one of the trees was over 8 feet tall. I am very impressed and plan on ordering again in the spring. I received an email confirmation to my fax order (as I requested) and an additional confirmation letting me know when the items would ship. Everything was perfect! Thanks Harold, Mike (salesman) and the rest of the Greer Gardens team!
Positive Cloisters
New Bern, NC
September 28, 2010
Posted on May 23, 2006, updated September 28, 2010
My first order from Greer Gardens arrived yesterday. My reaction: WOW! The plants are healthy, well-rooted, & larger than expected. Packaging was quite impressive with obvious attention to maximizing protection of the plants while minimizing shipping costs. This is the first shipment of plants I've received from any vendor that had watering crystals placed around roots. What a great way to help plants survive a transcontinental trip, & what a neat thing to be able to add to the planting hole! I'll certainly order from Greer Gardens again.

New Bern, NC
On September 28th, 2010, Cloisters added the following:

I just received another shipment from Greer Gardens and, once again, I couldn't possibly be more pleased. Large plants, fairly priced, and the packaging is about the best of any mail order firm I've purchased plants from.

Was also impressed with the courteous service I received when I placed my order by telephone. In every regard, Greer Gardens has always exceeded my expectations.
Neutral dannygates58
Jefferson, NH
June 1, 2010
Posted on March 19, 2008, updated June 1, 2010
I ordered 2 phormiums from Greer Gardens. Shipping was pretty fast and the plants that arrived were really beautiful... large and healthy. Really an ease to do business with. I have already placed a second order with them based on my experience.
On March 26th, 2008, dannygates58 added the following:

I recieved my second order from Greer. Once again shipping was very fast and the plants that were recieved were beautiful and healthy. My only complaint would be that I had ordered a 2'-3' picea abies pendula. The plant measured just 21 inches but it is very robust and healthy so I can overlook that. I have never ordered a 2'-3' plant from anyone and actually recieved a 3' plant anyway!! The araucaria araucana was ordered as a 6"-12" plant and in fact was 12" Greer is absolutly one of my regular shopping locations from now on
On June 1st, 2010, dannygates58 changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

I have left 2 positive ratings in the past but my most recent experience was not so good.
I found a couple trees I had been looking for on their website. I also saw a catagory for " Baby Bonsai" so I clicked on it. These are small plants and all 9.95. I found a couple that I liked and added them.. sort of like the things you pick up at the checkout at the grocery store. Its not the reason you came shopping but you add them anyway.
A few days later I noticed a charge on my card from Greer on my card but for less than 1/2 of the purchase. The plants arrived and they were beautiful and healthy no problem with that at all but the tress I wanted were not shipped! Basically they only shipped the baby bonsai as the others were not available.
I called Greer right away and while the operator was very friendly and helpful he explained that their computer does not have inventory. When you place an order they do not actually know if its in stock until someone goes and actually checks.
I was never notified that the order would be shortshipped .
I would not have bought the small plants on their own and paid shipping. they were a last minute add on.
I would have liked to have been notified that stock was not available and given the option to replace or change my order
In the future I would send an e mail first with items I wanted and make sure they are in stock before I place an order
Company representative comment on June 7, 2010:
On Jun 7, 2010 10:18 PM, Greer Gardens responded with:

Dannygates,

I am sorry that we did not completely fill your order as desired. If you consider that the Baby Bonsai, which you will have to admit are well worth the price, were only incidental, you received two of the three you ordered. You only ordered two other plants, on of which was not available, so you can't say we only shipped the Baby Bonsai. Yes, you ordered a total of five plants including the Baby Bonsai and only received three and that is not what we ever want, but you did not receive only the Baby Bonsai as you state.

Now, let me say one other thing. In December we suddenly had three very cold nights which at the time did not seem too be bad, but when the plants started to grow at the time you ordered, we suddenly found that thousands of plants were not of the quality we will send, hence why you were told the computer inventory is not accurate. We may have shown 50 plants of something available and suddenly found we only had 10 or 5 or 1. We tried to adjust the inventory as we could, but we could just not keep up. If you had placed at email and we would have even pulled the plants for your order at one point, a week later as the plants leafed out we might have found we could not send them.

We care, but also know that sometimes things don't work as we wish. It really hurts to be kicked when we were already crying at the losses we had. I hope you will reconsider your rating.

But I will add that we still have lots of quality plants to sell, but all Northwest nurseries are hurting in someway this year.

President Greer Gardens

Positive PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA (Zone 5a)
May 11, 2010
I love their catalogue, their knowledge of Rhododendrons, their selection, and the quality of their plants. Because I have ordered from them over at least 20 years, albeit infrequently, and have not been disappointed until this most recent order, I give them a positive.

This year, I received their catalogue and called, couldn't have been more than a week after receiving it, to order a Tree Peony 'Alhambra' plant. They have one listed at 5 gal. for $49.95 -- an incredible deal for a tree peony that big. I spoke with a very nice gentleman on the phone who was quite accommodating to my need to receive it by the end of the following week. On Monday of the week it was to ship, he called and left a message that there were no 5 gal. plants, and that he would ship a 1 gal plant (at $29.95) unless he heard from me to cancel the order. I went ahead with the order. The plant arrived well packed, on schedule, and in fine condition. You can't beat Greer for that. Their shipping was also reasonable on this plant (in the neighborhood of $10.00 from West to East Coast). My only disappointment was that it was a much smaller plant than what was listed (and is still listed) on their website, and not quite so much a bargain. Tree Peonies take time to grow, and I would have liked the head start a 5 gal. plant would have afforded.

That said, they are a very good company, and I would not hesitate to order from them again, 'though I might ask them to check for sure to see if a plant is in stock when I'm on the phone with them.
Positive killdawabbit
Christiana, TN (Zone 6b)
April 19, 2010
Wonderful company. One of my old standbys. Plants are excellent and service is excellent. Selection is awesome. I turn to Greer first, especially for rhododendrons.
Positive stormyla
Norristown, PA (Zone 6b)
November 15, 2009
This is a wonderful company to do business with. They have an extensive inventory of shrubs not easily found in my area. Of particular interest to me are the cold hardy Ackerman Hybrid Camellias.

I have purchased shrubs from them several times over the years and have never been disappointed. Once, one of the Camellias died within a short time of planting. Greer Gardens happily replaced it without any unpleasantness and offered good planting tips to insure future success. I will be sure to return to them for more nice shrubs.
Positive kfsphd
Feasterville Trevose, PA
October 18, 2009
Fantastic Company!
I have purchased rhododendrons, azaleas, and camellias from Greers about five times since early spring 2009, approx thirty plants total. Just placed an order for eight more.
All plants have been at a minimum the listed size, all healthy, well budded, well branched.
Harold Greer and his staff take the time to discuss plants with me, even communicating with me on weekends.
Perhaps of most importance, when you call, a real, live, person answers the phone!
Greers was the end of my search; I no longer buy rhododendrons elsewhere, neither nursery nor mail order.

Positive Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA (Zone 7a)
September 13, 2009
I fell in love with an uncommon tree (toona sinensis flamingo) while spending time on DG. I looked everywhere locally, and searched several on line nurserys, but was unable to find one. I was referred to Greer by a fellow DG'r, and not only did they have the tree I was looking for, they were wonderful to deal with. I ordered the tree and within three days had a wonderfully healthy and perfectly packaged tree at my doorstep. I would highly recommend them to anyone!
Positive doctrtim
Salisbury, VT
May 11, 2009
I ordered a Actinidia kolomikta ‘September Sun’ by telephone. The plant arrived timely, packaged well, healthy and on the large end of the advertised size range. I'm pleased.
Positive gowron
Athens, GA
April 27, 2009
I have known Greer Gardens for a long time, having shopped in person when I used to live in Eugene and also during periodic visits to Eugene. I have long been aware of their great selection and absolutely superb quality. I recently mail ordered from them for the first time and the experience was equally positive. Plant was exactly as described, shipped promptly and securely packaged. You can't go wrong with them.
Positive esteve59
Annapolis, MD
January 25, 2009
I inquired about a - Pinus aristata - Bristlecone Pine and Harold personally returned my email and actually took the time to take a couple of pictures of the tree since it was a special project (potentianl bonsai stock).
I am pleased with the service and the very nice tree they sent me...
Thanks Harold !!

Gratefully,
Streve B

Positive pipercat
Johnstown, PA
August 24, 2008
Their collection of dwarf rhododendrons was very extensive, so I decided to give them a try. I ordered 12 plants with a very courteous sales person. I thought the shipping was pricey, but felt it was well worth it after receiving the plants so quickly. They were shipped to PA from WA in 2 days. One of the plants was wilted and never did recover. After several phone calls and advice received, they shipped a replacement which was larger than the original plant. Customer service and communication was great. I highly recommend this company.
Positive prairiestyle
Omaha, NE
July 14, 2008
I purchased three Japanese Maples from Greer Gardens and was more than impressed. The tree I received were healthy, well-branched and arrived quickly in the mail.

With the huge selection and quality of trees/grafts, I wouldn't hesitate to buy more from them in the future. Thanks! Christian
Positive friskysue
Kinston, NC
March 30, 2008
I have been relying on Greer Gardens for 10 years now and am shocked upon reading negative comments.The plant material they have supplied me with has consistently exceeded my expectations. When I have had occasion to contact customer service, they have been more than obliging and I have come away feeling very assured that they do indeed care about customer satisfaction. I have done extensive landscaping in 13 years in New York State and am now beginning to landscape my new yard in North Carolina.
I wouldn't hesitate to place further orders!
Neutral juanwillis
Winchester, MA (Zone 6a)
October 31, 2007
I ordered two Japanese maples from Greer Gardens this past year. Given that I spent over $500, I was dismayed at the small root systems on each. One survived, but the other didn't live out the week.

I called and was promised that Mr. Greer would respond to me. Instead a replacement arrived a couple of weeks later. It was great that they sent a replacement, but it would have been nice to have a heads-up that it was being shipped, and it would have been even nicer if there had been a root system on the replacement (if anything, there were less roots this time).

I called and was again promised that Mr. Greer would need to respond to me. After not hearing back I called again and was told that a replacement would be shipped in the fall. I did indeed receive another replacement, again without any shipping notification but this time with a healthy root system.

So at the end of the day, I have two fine Japanese maples, but it took quite a bit of doing to arrive at this point, and each time I had to initiate contact (I never have heard from Mr. Greer). I'm glad that the company did the right thing and sent two replacements (I have no doubt that they made little if any money on this transaction), but it also wouldn't have been necessary if the root systems hadn't been treated so harshly in the packaging process.
Negative dcfidler
Alexandria, VA
September 20, 2007
Called to order 2 dwarf maple fjellheims in early September, and was told they would go out shortly. I explicitly explained (and they had it in their order info) that they needed to arrive before September 21, when we would be leaving town for 10 days. I was assured (this being September 5) that they would go out in "a couple of days" and would arrive "well before the 21st." When I called on September 20th, I was told "we don't know why they didn't go out - we still have the trees sitting here. Do you still want them?" These were supposed to be an anniversary present to my husband. No offer was made to ship them overnight (I was told they couldn't ship them on a Thursday or Friday) or to in any way compensate/fix the situation, even after I explained that these were an anniversary present. Nothing. So in essence, I was left to scramble to find them and pay overnight shipping from someone else.
Company representative comment on September 28, 2007:

On Sep 28, 2007 4:32 PM, Greer Gardens added:

I can only say we made an honest mistake. For some unknown reason the paperwork just slipped through the cracks and did not get back to the office so the plants could be shipped.

And, yes we should have offered to send the plants next day air. I certainly would have done that, but since we seldom ship next day air the employee she talked to did not realize that was possible, though he does know better.

My apologies for this error. It is not the way we want to run our business. Sorry also I was not around to immediately answer this, as I was out of town chairing the very successful Western Regional Rhododendron Conference.

Thanks to all for being understanding that even in the best of situtations, mistakes do happen.

Positive omniexist
Bealeton, VA
August 1, 2007
Excellent company!

Here's the story: I ordered 1 Swiss Stone Pine (Pinus Cembra) at the 5-6 ft size. After about 2 weeks the owner (I think) contacted me and said the shipment was bouncing around because Fedex couldn't deliver (I live in an apartment). Now this person sounded genuinly concerned for me (as I paid a lot in shipping) and for the well being of the tree (almost as if it were an animal). Thanks to his timely warning I quickly went to their office and obtained the item.

What an impressive specimen! It's about 5'5" tall and didn't have a hint of wilting or browning despite it's long stay in the box. It was very well packed with a wooden frame to prevent it being crushed.

I've had great difficulty obtaining Swiss Stone Pine in any decent size. I highly recommend this company if you want hard to find conifers at a respectable size.
Company representative comment on August 1, 2007:

On Jul 31, 2007 8:43 PM, Greer Gardens added:

Thanks for the kind words. We were concerned both for you and the plant.

Positive balvenie
Marysville, WA (Zone 7a)
June 17, 2007
1. Saturday May 26,2007 I e-mailed Greer gardens asking about a Rhodie which I did not see in the catalog and that I would call in an order for R. citriniflorum. The telephone order was made shortly afterwards.

2. On Saturday June 9th Dianne Johnson e-mailed me saying they were sorry but they did not have R. kawakamii.

3. On Thursday June 14th I received my package from Greer Gardens. It was a Lavender rather than a Rhodie so I immediately e-mailed them and stated the problem. (the Lavender was a very nice specimen of L. X intermedia grosso 'Dilly Dilly' and very well packaged).

4. This afternoon, Sunday June 17th (Father's Day) I received a phone call from Mr. Greer stating sometimes there are mix-ups, and probably someone in the mid-west now has a Rhodie instead of a Lavender. He said my citriniflorum would be replaced and to keep the lavender.

Mix-ups are to be expected now and then, unpleasant though they may be, but the response from this company has been very encouraging and I anticipate dealing with them more in the future.
I ordered from them based upon the reviews in the Garden Watchdog and have been satisfied with the results.
On June 20th, 2007, balvenie added the following:

Wed. June 20.
In todays mail I received the replacement from Greer Gardens. A nice specimen, in good condition and well packed in the Priority Mail container. Three days from our telephone conversation and the plant is in my hands. I think that is quite impressive.
On September 4th, 2007, balvenie added the following:

Sept. 4, '07 After a few weeks the R. citriniflorum began to fade and subsequently died. I then e-mailed Greer Gardens and asked a number of questions as to whether I had 'abused' the plant or not. Nothing definite ensued but they stated since they did not have another specimen on hand at the time they would replace it next spring, if that met with my approval. Today I received an e-mail from Mr. Greer saying the arrangements have been made to replace the plant at the appropriate time. I thought that was pretty darn good customer service seeing as I had not requested a replacement in the first place. Needless to say, I am very satisfied with Greer Gardens, and their willingness to replace a plant which may in fact be a stinker to grow.
Positive DaveNW
Portland, OR
June 11, 2007
For the last several months I've been looking for a Nyssa Sylvatica (Black Tupelo) which is difficult to find in this part of the country. I've even asked some of the prominent Portland area nurseries to order one for me at great expense and have had no luck.

Then I discovered Greer. Not only did they have the Tupelo, they also had several Japanese Maples I'd been looking for. So I decided to make the two hour drive down to Greer Gardens and see the place in person. Greer's employees were very pleasant and drove us around the 14 acre nursery in a golf cart helping us find the specific trees we were seeking. The prices were quite reasonable and the Tupelo was actually taller than advertised by at least 18 inches.

All in all, a delightful family owned nursery with great trees and shrubs. Definitely worth the trip if you live in Oregon. I'll be back next year for the backyard re-landscape.
Negative pollinatorbob
Dayton, OH
June 5, 2007
I have never posted a negative against any garden, and it does not come easily. But I have received 0 satisfaction and I feel I have a right to complain. I ordered a Magnolia "Vulcan" after receiving Greer Gardens Catalog in February. I found this tree very hard to find, so I thought getting my order in early would assure me the best chance of adding this to my collection. So I sent my order in Mid February. In Ohio February is the coldest month of the year with expected temperatures -10 to -20 degrees. The Greer garden order blank gives you two choices for shipping perference. One to state exactly when you want your order shipped. Then there is an additional statment at the bottom of the order blank which states "if you do not choose a specific ship date, your order will be sent at the appropriate planting time for your zone." So I left the specific date blank, knowing that they would ship my tree at a reasonable planting time. Well, almost two weeks after my order was mailed, I came home from work and here was my tree, boxed, sitting at my back door. I could not believe it had been shipped since we had been experiencing blizzard conditions, which was all over the weather reports, and that specific day it was -5 degrees. And February is the coldest month of the year here, which any experienced nursery should be aware of. So I took the tree in the house and unboxed it and not surprisingly, the roots and planting material were frozen solid as a block of ice. And it was a very nice tree. I get distrubed when nice plants get abused, so I was not happy. I called Greer gardens that same evening and spoke with a man in customer service. He pulled up my order and the first thing he noted was "you didn't fill in a ship date". I explained to him the sentence on the order blank that assures the buyer that their order will be shipped at the appropriate planting time. I think he was lost for words, so I asked to talk to his manager. Mr. Greer took the phone and told me that the tree was probably fine, simply keep in inside until planting time and I should have no problem.Not that I relished taking care of a tree in my house for 3 months, but I told him I would. I wanted to think he was right, but experience taught me that this tree might not be able to handle such a shock. "It was cold here this week in Oregon" he went on "it got down to 50 degrees this week." Mr. Greer started to give me instructions for care of the tree. Since I have been gardening for nearly 50 years, I explained that I didn't need to be told how to take care of a tree.Not feeling any better about the outcome, I told Mr. Greer that all I wanted was the guarantee of his word that if my tree didn't live, that I would get a replacement. He didn't sound happy at the prospect but assured me that if my tree didn't live to call the nursery back and he would indeed ship me the 'live' tree I paid for. Well, my tree didn't live, it just shriveled up in the pot. So I called the Nursery, spoke to customer service and my complaint was noted and I was told that they would get a replacment out for me. Three weeks later, no tree. So I called again and again spoke to a man in customer service. He pulled up my order and said, "yes, I see where you have called in, I will check into it and make sure your tree is sent." It is now June 4 and I still have no tree. So this is the reason for my negative post. I think I should be able to take a man at his word. and I don't think I should have to 'shake the tree' several times and still get no result. I would love to hear from this company and be assured that they are going to honor their promise. I would hesitate to recommend them to anyone based on my experience. Bob Faulkner. Dayton, Ohio
On June 8th, 2007, pollinatorbob added the following:

All I can say is Huh?! If all my correspondence is wrong, then why in my private email that Mr. Greer sent, is he sending me my Magolia, finally. I do want to set one thing straight. He is correct in saying that I was wrong about the ship date on the order blank. The statement is actually on page 149 of their catalog and under SHIPPING DATE reads the following: "Unless you give us a specific date to ship your order, we will ship at the appropriate planting time" So I stand corrected even though the point is the same. The remainder of my response I sent in "private" to Mr. Greer. Being an honorable man, I won't fight anyone over the internet. You may belive him if you want, but if I made up this entire story, I should take a job in Hollywood. Mr. Greer, you should be ashamed. Bob
Company representative comment on June 8, 2007:

On Jun 7, 2007 8:34 PM, Greer Gardens added:

I don't want to fight with this person, but his response is so petty. I thought I explained it in the private email to him. We made a mistake sending the plant to him as early as we did, but we were glad to correct the problem, but he gave us no way to contact him. Yes, he called, but left us no number so we could get back to him as to when we could give him another plant. In the end we sent him a 5' plant for the 2' plant he ordered but apparently that is not enough for this man. And remeber all of this for one $29.95 plant.

We try very hard to treat customers fairly, but we ask the same in return. Also, I have to say I received no private response at this writing from this man. Bob, I am not ashamed of trying to help a customer all of which could have been solved if he given as a phone number. And may I again say we provided this man in the end even more than he ordered which we would have done anyway without all his complaint. Harold Greer

Positive doss
Stanford, CA (Zone 9b)
May 16, 2007
I ordered a "Kim" from Greer Gardens and was given great service. The tree came in beautiful shape and was an outstanding specimen. It arrived within a week. I'm very pleased with the service, product and shipping.
On May 21st, 2008, doss added the following:

I called Greer's and ordered another Japanese Maple, it came right away and is a beautiful tree - packing was perfect. They had to check their stock but got back to me the same day. Another good experience.
Positive fancypantsnancy
Sandy, UT
February 9, 2007
I have been doing business with Greer Gardens for over 10 years and
I have never received more personal care at any other mail order place. Mr Greer really regards his nursery as a labor of love. His selection is unparalled and you will find few other mail order nurseries that even attempt to ship when the customer wants. Most ship at their own convenience. Also he never ships bareroot and that I love the most. There is always soil around the roots of his plants. This makes his shipping more expensive , but greatly reduces the possibility of plant failure.
Positive jillofall
Colorado Springs, CO (Zone 5a)
July 31, 2006
I know July is not the best time to plant anything, and most suppliers won't even ship Rhododendrons, but Greer Gardens was able to send me two that I needed. The Shogun I received was marvelous. I also wanted a Mother Greer, but they were out of them. They called me about replacing my order with a Nelson's Purple. I've never been able to find anything about this rhody on the web, but it was a nice plant. I was amazed at the packing. I needed a crowbar to get the plants out.
Positive snapple45
Holland, OH (Zone 5b)
July 19, 2006
Ordered and promptly received a Ginkgo biloba 'Chris' Dwarf'. The plant was catalogue listed as 6" to 12". I received a two foot bareroot plant with good structure , good root mass and in overall excellent condition. The tree had been braced in the carton with a specially made wood frame. I have never seen such careful and sturdy packaging. This is a company I highly recommend.
Positive provincialblond
Lansing, MI
June 8, 2006
I ordered an awesome maple tree from Greer Gardens:
‘Pacific Fire’ — 6'. A multi trunk tree with new growth emerging purple and orange, further offset by the bright red bark providing year-round color. Light green leaves turn gold in the fall. Growth rate of 12-18" a year.

The aforsaid tree arrived in excellent condition from Oregon: I am in Michigan; and I was suprised by the high quality of the delivery.
Neutral declfi
Fenton, MO (Zone 6b)
April 14, 2006
I made an order to Greer gardens in the first part of March I ask if the would ship as soon as possible. They made know promise but said they would do what they could. I called twice since then asking if they would ship. It is now April 14th with 1 week in transit the earliest I could receive the plants would be April 21 or 24. This is UNACEPTABLE!
When you Charge 20 bucks for a 1-gallon plant you should be jumping thru Hoops. I will not be back. There are way to many good mail order companies to waste my time.

On April 15th, 2006, declfi added the following:

I do not remember exactly when I made the order to Greer Gardens. It was made by phone. But I asked 3 times for shipping, the reason being I had ordered Rhododendrons and it was getting hot here in St. Louis. I stated this when I made the order. I called back a week or two later (By phone no record) because it was getting hotter and asked again if they would ship. They told me they would put an early ship because of weather. I called back a week later, give or take. (By phone no record) It was going to get into the 90’s and I had a vacation coming up April 22. I told them if they could not get them here by then to cancel my order. They said OK. They did not say “yes we will get them to you” or “no we can’t”, just “OK”. I did not hear from them and on April 13 I sent the following email.

Hi
It is going to be 90 Degrees here tomorrow and looks like the 80's are here to stay. If you cant ship my order Monday Please cancel. I am really disappointed in Greer Gardens I Tried to get you to send my order ASAP Because of the Heat and an up coming Vacation. Now 6 Weeks later No Plants.
Very unhappy customer
Dennis Fitzgibbons

I did not receive a responds to this email.

They never stated why they could not ship and I never received any information or email correspondences from Greer garden. Mr. Greer stated call and we will fix the Problem. How many times do you have to call? I cannot say the exact time frame because it was by phone and No correspondences.
Dennis Fitzgibbons
St.Louis

On April 17th, 2006, declfi changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Mr. Greer explained that there were some mitigating circumstances. They were out of his control. So I am changing my rating to neutral.
Company representative comment on April 15, 2006:

On Apr 14, 2006 8:53 PM, Greer Gardens added:

Dennis Fitzgibbons ordered this at the end of March, not the first part as he said. Yes, we made "know" (actually "no" promise) as delivery as a plant was not yet in from a supplier and he Dennis asked that the plant arrived before April 22 which it will, as it will be shipped by two day air next week. We fulfilled our promise and if Dennis is unhappy, he can contact us and we will solve the problem.

President, Greer Gardens

On Apr 15, 2006 8:35 PM, Greer Gardens added:

I am sure Dennis Fitzgibbons, wants to be fair, but he has not given us time to even answer. The email he quotes that he sent us was on Thursday. The two days of the week we don't have someone to answer email are the days Diane (who does our orders@greergardens.com email) has off. I have since called Mr. Fitzgibbons and left a message as no one was home and he has not returned a call to my toll free call back number. Yes, I expect he should have time to answer, but he had not given us that time. He admits he does not remember the times or dates he supposedly called.

We are a small company and we care a lot. Contrary to his statements of six weeks from when he ordered, it is now just three weeks from the day he placed his order. We try to get plants in the customer's hands even faster than that, but there are times when that is impossible. Most gardening customers realize that.

All I ask is the Mr. Fitzgibbons be fair and not say six weeks, when it is actually three weeks.

President, Greer Gardens