The scoop on 'In The Country Garden & Gifts'

In The Country Garden & Gifts

2587 Quasqueton Diagonal Blvd.
Independence, Iowa 50644 (United States)

Phone: 319-934-3620

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive Shadesofblue18
Mount Pleasant, IA
August 30, 2014
I've purchased beautiful hostas from In the Country Gardens, both from the nursery and via mail order. They are extremely helpful, friendly, and have a great selection of classic and new varieties. I also really enjoy their website which is easy to navigate and is filled with a wealth of helpful information about hosta growing. My recent order arrived in 2 days, after a notification of when it was shipped so I could be ready, very carefully packed with the generous sized plants, some with several eyes, in perfect condition, very abundant roots, ready to thrive! I couldn't recommend them any more highly!
Positive ycn4chin
Dickson, TN
August 22, 2014
Posted on July 16, 2012, updated August 22, 2014
Posted on May 13, 2011, updated July 16, 2012
Josh provides excellent customer service. He answers emails promptly. My plants arrived in perfect condition with great roots. I was pleased to get hard to find plants at good prices. I will buy again from this nursery.
On July 16th, 2012, ycn4chin added the following:

I ordered three recent introduction hostas from In the Country and when they arrived I was so pleased. Nice healthy plants with good root systems. The box had been crushed by the carrier, but the plants were packaged so well there wasn\'t a problem. Highly recommend this company.
On August 22nd, 2014, ycn4chin added the following:

I ordered five Hostas and a Carex. Friday Josh sent a note that they were shipped and when I got home from work Monday they were there! I was very pleased with the plants I received. Most were hard to find varieties that were in stock at In the Country Garden and Gifts. I feel I always get the best customer service from them. Their plants always do well in my garden.
Positive speedoo
Orange, MA
July 10, 2014
I've set up this login just so I can comment on In the Country. I saw a plant called Albuca spiralis Frizzle Sizzle at the Tower Hill Botanic Garden here in Massachusetts, and I had to have one. Google found just a couple of vendors, and I liked In the Country's web site, so that's who I ordered from. Almost immediately, I got a polite inquiry from Josh thanking me for the order and asking how I had happened to find him. That impressed me. The plant came today, and wow, now I'm really impressed! Beautifully packed, in perfect condition, larger than I expected and with a large spike, ready to flower. I am really happy, and I'll continue to rely on In the Country for new plants (and will tell my friends the same).
Positive lrpetrilli
Highland Mills, NY
June 3, 2014
Very nice plants, arrived in good condition, look great on their first day planted.
Positive tailzzz24
Kutztown, PA
June 2, 2014
Posted on May 28, 2014, updated June 2, 2014
Posted on May 23, 2014, updated May 28, 2014
I placed my first order on Wednesday, May 14th. Though I was told today (May 23rd) when I called that they usually ship on Fridays and Mondays (I believe that's what she said), my order had still not shipped - 'processing' is what my account still showed.

It's the holiday weekend now, so I was told my order would have to wait until this coming Tuesday to ship, so May 27th it would finally be on its way to me, almost 2 weeks after my order was first placed - unless I wanted the plants to sit an extra day and have her ship Saturday over the holiday weekend.

When I asked why my order hadn't shipped sooner since my order had been placed on Wednesday over a week ago, the woman got a little snappy with me explaining that they had 60 orders they had to get out. She was very impatient with me as I tried to decide whether she should ship now or wait, and from all these glowing reviews I'm still scratching my head?

I'm giving them a 'neutral' in hopes that at least their plants are nice. They'll have to be REALLY nice though or hard-to-find for me to consider ordering from this nursery again. Santa Rosa Gardens is still the best online nursery out there - nice plants, timely shipping, great sales, and most importantly, courteous customer service. They never make me feel like I'm just a number amidst 59 others.
On May 28th, 2014, tailzzz24 added the following:

The plants arrived carefully packaged and healthy, a good size, and very little trimming necessary. Very happy with the plants.
On June 2nd, 2014, tailzzz24 changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Hello Josh,

I just wanted to thank you for the gift certificate. I surely didn't expect that, thought I'd read something wrong, and I feel that was a wonderful gesture for you to have gone out of your way, above and beyond to apologize like that.

As I already said in my updated review, the plants I received from you were healthy, beautiful, and carefully packaged. That coupled with a VERY sincere apology means I will probably purchase from you again in the future, once I find room for all these plants. Thank you again! Excellent customer service - I stand corrected.
Company representative comment on May 30, 2014:
On May 30, 2014 9:46 PM, In The Country Garden & Gifts responded with:

I'm very sorry to hear your experience was less than wonderful. You certainly are not just a number to us. We value each and every customer, as we know you have many other options for fulfilling your plant needs! Spring is an incredibly busy and often stressful time. There is so much to do and never enough hours in the day. I certainly understand why you were wondering about your order and apologize that you happened to catch us on an "off" day. I'm glad you were pleased with your plants and I hope they do well for you. -Josh

Positive Neysa
La Puente, CA (Zone 10a)
May 8, 2014
My first time ordering from this company. My plant arrived today in great condition. Was surprised that the plant was so nice.
I ordered Albuca spiralis 'Frizzle Sizzle' I would order from this company again when I want something different. I am so glad I happend upon them from looking around on google. Thanks for a nice size plant.
Positive Ispahan
Chicago, IL (Zone 6a)
June 28, 2013
I ordered Athyrium 'Ghost' and was extremely pleased with both quality and price. Plants were gorgeous and healthy and were shipped at exactly the time I requested. I will definitely order from them again in the future, especially if they expand their selection of non-hostas!
Positive Lfoss5
Goodview, MN
June 27, 2013
Plants shipped are gorgeous. Thanks much.
Positive plantgnome1
nowhere land, NY (Zone 6b)
June 6, 2013
Posted on June 14, 2012, updated June 6, 2013
Received my first order today in a very timely fashion, I only ordered one Hosta as I never used them before and I am very satisfied with my purchase, I received a nice sized High Society packaged very well and was notified of the tracking number quickly. Very polite email correspondence. Will do business again as a matter of fact I already ordered a Heuchera and a trailing Heucherella from them.
On June 6th, 2013, plantgnome1 added the following:

Ordered a hard to find Hosta called Humpback Whale from In the Country and received it today in excellent condition a nice size and healthy root system. Fast shipping and reasonable shipping cost, packaged very well. I check their website regularly as they carry some unusual other plants besides Hosta. Will continue to do business with this company. Great customer service also.
Positive corgilady
Hartford City, IN
May 28, 2013
Just received my order of 12 heucheras.....beautiful plants!!!
Positive frankie1222
Lincoln Village, OH
May 24, 2013
I had a terrible experience with ordering plants though the mail and made the decision that I would never put myself in that position again however I am addicted to heuchera and the beautiful new varieties that I could only obtain by ordering online/ mail finally got the best of me!!! I searched forever looking for someone that I could count on and decided on josh from in the country garden and gifts. I could not have made a better decision and if there were a higher rating I would give it to him !
I order14 heuchera in December - I travel for work so I asked if I could be notified when my order was shipped- not only did I receive an email from josh when my order shipped but I received an email from" the package" every time it moved through the system( 10 in total!)
When the mail carrier approached my door with the package it was completely smashed- the top of the box was ripped open and the bottom almost torn off- he commented" I don't know what is this box but it doesn't look good!!!" before I opened the box I took several pictures knowing what I found inside would probably be a problem....when I opened the box I found fresh beautiful healthy plants( two that were on the crushed corner a little worse for wear) I was thrilled- so much time and effort had been put forth in wrapping these plants that they not only survived what must have been a very hectic trip from Iowa but even though the box they were in was so damaged they were still in excellent condition- but what impressed me most was I emailed josh pictures of the unopened box and mention the two plants that were a little crushed- just so he would know how the box had been handled( when I ordered a $200 +in the past from another company the box showed up late in the season even though I had ordered in midwinter full of not dying but dead scraps/ crap!- emails- phone calls-letters went unanswered- I never to this day two years later receive any response- I got not one live plant for my $200+ order!)
within minutes!! I received a phone call from
Josh !!! He was kind- helpful- offering to replace any plants that were damaged( the two in question were so healthy when they left Iowa that I am sure a little tlc will get them back to 100% in no time!)
I could tell you a million things wrong with the last company I used( in fact I did!!!)- I could tell you a million GOOD things about this company and I can assure you that this will be my go to company every time my heuchera addiction acts up!!!!
my faith has been restored that there are honest reliable people out there that can provide us with quality healthy plants!!!
Josh and in the country garden and gifts deserves an A++++ for not only there healthy beautiful plants but for their wonderful customer service!!!!!!
I will be a forever customer!!!!!
Positive lazzieboy
Martinez, CA
October 6, 2012
I have bought a lot of plants over the internet over the past years. I have almost always had a problem with some of the plants I received. Either dead ,almost dead or crushed and the soil dry. When I received my plants from this company(In The Country Garden & Gifts), I was very pleased to open the package and find the plants of a very nice size in excellent condition and all intact. Even the packaging was done well. So all I can say is this company produces a fine quality product for a very reasonable price and can deliver, hands down, the best company I have found to date.

Thank You. Lazzieboy
Positive Yooper63
Calumet, MI
June 11, 2012
I received very healthy plants, Athyrium 'Frizelliae', Hosta 'Curly Fries', H. Blue Mouse Ears, and H. Big John, from In The Country Gardens. They were very good sized and took right off growing. It's been two months, since I got them, and they look great. Josh was very accommodating, with a misunderstanding on my part, about the shipping. I will order from him again.
Joanne from the U.P. of Michigan
Positive rocknhostas
Central, WI
June 5, 2012
Posted on August 2, 2011, updated June 5, 2012
Posted on May 21, 2010, updated August 2, 2011
They offer good communication and friendly service. The hosta I received was perfect. Beautiful and very healthy looking. Another hosta that I ordered was not available and I was issued a refund along with the hosta I received. Thanks for the quick refund. I understand that this happens sometimes when ordering hostas and I have to be quicker with my order next time. :)
I am 100% happy with this company and will shop again.
On August 2nd, 2011, rocknhostas added the following:

The hostas I ordered recently are beautiful, healthy plants and arrived in excellent condition. I love the great selection and friendly service. Would definitely order from them again!
On June 5th, 2012, rocknhostas added the following:

I am a returning customer and am always happy with my orders and shopping experience from In The Country Garden and Gifts. Josh is super friendly and helpful, and is great with communication about your order. The plants have always been wonderful and this order is on par with previous orders from them. Nice healthy plants with good root systems. Thanks again!
Neutral kaybee3
Richardson, TX
June 2, 2012
The plants I received were way overpriced. No one would have bought those plants for that price had they seen them in person. I bought two hosta that were barely more than tissue cultures and were, with shipping, $25.00 each. Although the pots were removed, one was about 1.75 inches, the other was about 2.25 inches square. They were about 6" tall. They weren't new, exclusive varieties, either.

They were in good condition when they arrived.

I will not buy from them again.
Company representative comment on June 2, 2012:
On Jun 2, 2012 9:32 PM, In The Country Garden & Gifts responded with:

I'm very sorry to hear you are not happy with your plants. Please contact me with your order number so I can look up the plants you received. info@inthecountrygardenandgifts.com

Positive jayC96
Saginaw, MI
June 1, 2012
This was my first order with In the Country Garden and Gifts and I was very pleased. Several of the plants I ordered were relatively new introductions, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but they arrived both healthy and much bigger than I expected. Nice plants, excellent packaging, and good communication too. I would definitely do business with them again
Positive veryblessed
Morehead, KY
May 23, 2012
This was my first order with Josh and In the Country Garden & Gifts. I was very satisfied with the plants, the customer service and shipping. I ordered 4 hostas - Bam Bam Blue, Fruit Punch, Mango Salsa, and Raspberry Sundae. They all arrived in great shape and are already taking off in my gardens. I would recommend them to anyone without hesitation. Thanks, James
Positive Glassladi
Bettendorf, IA
May 20, 2012
I ordered an Empress Wu hosta from Josh. I found his prices to be competitive, and Josh's communications to be excellent. The plant arrived well packed, very healthy, and ready to plant. I will most certainly order from him again!
Positive jaguarlady53
Natchez, MS
May 19, 2012
I am a repeat customer and received my Heuchera and Heucherella order of 6 yesterday and am VERY pleased with my order, again. The plants were well packed, a very nice size and healthy. They were still moist in all this heat and that is a plus, no wilting at all. There is great communication, a big plus. Thank you so much In the Country Garden and you too Josh.... Now if you guys would only open a branch down here in MS.... ;)
Positive reeve1
Plano, TX (Zone 8b)
May 3, 2012
My first experience was great! Everything was well packed, nice sized and very healthy. Two thumbs up and I would order again! Thanks so much!
Positive plantnutz
Austell, GA (Zone 7a)
April 30, 2012
Just received my hosta order - I'm doing the happy hosta dance here. plantnutz - Atlanta, GA area
Positive Bobs_Place
Raleigh, NC
January 4, 2012
I ordered a nice, hard to find, hosts from Josh at "In The Country Garden Gifts" and it arrived in excellent condition with a very healthy root system. I especially enjoy his annual Hosta Exchange during the summer. This is a great opportunity to see all his plants, meet other enthusiasts, and get some great plants for the yard. Great friendly and knowledgable people to do business with. Check them out......
Positive steve_mass
Millbury, MA
October 6, 2011
i received my first order from In the Country Garden and Gifts and I was impressed with the plants and the customer service. Josh emailed me after my order to let me now when the plants would be shipped. I ordered an Intersectional Peony and it arrived with over a dozen eyes on the division. The Hosta I ordered with it had only one eye, but it is a rare cultivar that I couldn't find anywhere else, so I was pleased to be able to find it. Excellent service, great plants.
Positive Bartell
Rochester, MI
August 30, 2011
Posted on July 28, 2011, updated August 30, 2011
I ordered two plants from this company last week (during the heat wave - 7/20) and asked that they hold the order until the weather improved.

I received my order today (7/28) and was wonderfully surprised! Not only were the plants (a heuchera and heucherella) expertly packed (not a speck of soil out of place) but the plants were healthy and a great size for the price. I expected small starter plants, as I received from a couple other online growers (who charged a few dollars more, as well). But these were large enough for a medium-sized pot (rootballs were carefully wrapped in plastic and newspaper)...beautiful plants and great price.

I've bookmarked their website and highly recommend them. I would do business with them again in a heartbeat!

Thank you, Josh!
On August 30th, 2011, Bartell added the following:

Ordered and received another heuchera and heucherella. Same great packaging, same good-sized and vigorous 'starter plants'. Great job!
Thanks, Josh!
Positive MNhostaLover
Farmington, MN
June 29, 2011
Generally, I'd say my experience with ITCG&G has been pleasant. The owner, Josh, is knowledgeable and friendly and always willing to help. I ordered hosta and heuchera and generally they were fresh and healthy, however, they were small. Many were new varieties, and I'd expect them to be small, but it would have been nice if the website had stated something like: "Second Year TC" so that we know what we're getting. I will be ordering from them again.
Positive J9Bennett
Boone, IA
June 13, 2011
Fantastic service. Received an email confirming my order the same day and letting me know when to expect shipment. Received my order 3 days after placing my order and the packaging was great.
Positive Whirlwind2000
Monroe, CT
June 3, 2011
Posted on May 19, 2011, updated June 3, 2011
After I read the previous comments reagarding 'In The Country Garden & Gifts', I placed an order for 4 heuchera (Autumn Leaves, Cherry Cola, Ginger Peach & Midas Touch. The plants arrived healthy and in good shape. I was a bit hesitant at first as the plants were to be shipped unpotted. But to my surprise they came in great shape. I will be purchasing again from this vendor.
On June 3rd, 2011, Whirlwind2000 added the following:

I placed and received two more orders of Heuchera's and Heucherella's. All of the plants arrived in good shape. I am extremely pleased and will order again.
Positive iceman49
Saint Paul, MN
May 27, 2011
Normally I purchase from my local nursery, but have found when I need to find plant material that is different and unique I have to expand my horizons. I have been watching the "In the Country Garden" site for quite awhile and liked the variety of plant material. When I finally decided to place my order, I asked if it was possible to get them delivered during the last week in May, since my order was placed on the 17th of May..I thought I might be pushing it. My plants arrived on the 25th of May! The plants looked in great shape, with a nice root ball attached. Additionally when I asked a question of Josh, he responded promptly and accurately. I will be placing more orders in the future.
Positive HEKelly
Cottage Grove, MN
May 26, 2011
My plants came today and they are beautiful and big! I was very pleased with the plants and the prices. I found the same plants on another site for almost twice the money. I will be ordering more plants from you in the future.
Positive loujak63
Collinsville, IL
May 18, 2011
This was my first order and am very please. The hosta were packaged very good and arrived in very good condition. They were good size and had huge root balls. I will order again from them.
Positive tepelus
Nashville, MI (Zone 6a)
May 13, 2011
Posted on June 20, 2009, updated May 13, 2011
I ordered three heuchera and brunnera from Josh and the plants, though smaller than expected, are doing great. They are all doing very well in their new homes and have put on some new growth. They came with their root balls with bit of moist soil, wrapped in moist paper and then wrapped in plastic in very good condition. He answered my emails promptly and sent my plants when he said he would. The prices on the plants were the cheapest I could find anywhere through the mail and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from this company again. Thanks Josh!
On May 13th, 2011, tepelus added the following:

This is my third year (and order) from Josh and I will always buy plants from him. The heuchera are some of the best priced out there and they are nice, healthy plants and don't come to me puny. I bought 'Captain's Adventure' hosta from him this year, the first time I've ordered a hosta from Josh and it was much bigger than I expected. I was expecting a little two-year-old from TC plant. It's going to replace the 'Tattoo' hosta I lost, at the front of the narrow bed along my front patio so it'll be the first plant in the bed all who stop buy will see. Great plants, great company, I will always by from In The Country.
Positive 7B_8A
Fayetteville, GA
May 6, 2011
Received healthy green nice sized plants promptly after ordering. Received on Thursday just in time for weekend planting (nice timing). Shipping doesn't appear to be a profit center for them (which I really like) as opposed to others where the shipping costs as much as the plants! Are the hostas at your local garden center bigger and cheaper? Of course they are but the locals don't have Devil's Advocate or Empress Wu. In fact there aren't many mail order nurseries that have both of those which is how I found them in the first place. Great selection, great customer service, great plants.
Positive n2hostas
Saint Louis, MO
April 29, 2011
Ordered from Josh for the first time, but certainly won't be the last. Josh was great about keeping me updated about my order and my plants arrived as scheduled in great shape.
Thanks for the wonderful service. Mary Lou
Positive hostalady04
Georgetown, KY
April 23, 2011
I order often from Josh and am ALWAYS pleased by the size of his plants and the quality of the same! Keep up the great work!!
Positive chris_e
Germantown, MD
September 11, 2010
This is the second year I have ordered plants from Josh and I am always happy with the plants and the service I get. My garden is getting very full by now but as long as I see something I like in his site, I can usually find a, place for it! The latest, Mourning Dove was bought at the request of my grandson who is 9 and "into birds" right now. He was here yesterday when it arrived and was impressed by the size of the plant you sent. So was I! Thanks Josh!
Positive Bad_Seed
Loma Linda, CA
September 7, 2010
"In The Country" was recommended by a friend who was pleased with her purchases. My plants arrived quickly, and were well packaged. All were good-sized, and with well developed roots. Can recommend this company without hesitation, and will definitely purchase from them again.
Positive HighPointFarm
Augusta, ME
August 16, 2010
This was the first time I've ordered from this company and I am very pleased. The plants arrived when they said they would and they are wonderful. They even put in a free liner. Great customer service and I will be ordering again.
Positive blueford
July 20, 2010
I have ordered many hosta from Josh over the past few years. The plants are always healthy and good sized. He will go out of his way to help you.
Positive toymr2mk2
Chesapeake, VA
July 6, 2010
My first order but definitely will not be my last. The plants shipped were huge. Shipping was fast and plants arrived in perfect condition! Thanks Josh and Co!
Positive basketnut
Waterloo, IA
May 21, 2010
Very large healthy plants. Packaged well. Great communication. Thanks so much!