The scoop on 'Merry Gardens'

Merry Gardens

Camden, Maine 04843
(United States)

We do not have a web address listed for this company.

Editor's Comment:
Closed Per notes from Watchdog users and a representative of Merryspring Park, we've confirmed that Merry Gardens is no longer in business.

Regarding any connection between Merryspring Park and Merry Gardens, it seems the property that Merryspring Park occupies was formerly owned by Mary Ross of Merry Gardens. Merryspring is a nonprofit horticultural park open to the public; they do not sell plants. The only connection between the two is historical.

Company Comment, posted on February 23, 2003:

Comments:

Positive camdengirl
Lincolnville, ME
November 8, 2012
A gift from the former Mary Ellen Ross, the Garden Institute, a 501(c)(3) educational non-profit, is the owner of the former Merry Gardens in Camden, Maine. Our website is growingfortomorrow.org. There you will see information on two current projects we are working on, and find a bit about us as well.

We own the name Merry Gardens, but it was used, without our permission, by the last person to lease the business after the business was gifted to us in 2002. You are not the only ones that had a bad experience -- they left with the our collection of the geraniums and ivies that Merry Garden was famous for and never paid per the agreement. If you find someone in our area specializing in the old scented and miniature geraniums, those are probably the people you did business with.
Positive WigglyPaw
Hastings, MI (Zone 5b)
July 8, 2007
I worked at Merry Gardens. It was one of the first places I had a job in the horticultural industry. I loved living in Maine. I planted up all the scented geraniums. I would have apple scented hands. back then, the owner was old. She must've been a hundred now.
sheri
Negative blackbarn
February 16, 2003
I am yet another customer who got ripped off by this company. I ordered $43.00 worth of plants from them last April (2002). I never got a plant, got no response to my emails, and the phone number listed had been disconnected. These people ARE NOTHING MORE THAN CON ARTISTS AND THIS COMPANY IS JUST A SCAM. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY. YOU WILL BE THROWING YOUR MONEY AWAY!
Negative lwh
February 13, 2003
I purchased plants from this site over nine months ago. I still have not received the plants. I, also never received a reply by e-mail or letter and the phone number was inoperable. They sure had no problem taking my money! What a scam! Beware of these individuals.
Neutral WebDataMan
September 23, 2002
A word to the two others who entered negative remarks about Merry Gardens:

Years ago, my wife and I shopped frequently at this really great greenhouse and nursery. We never had a problem. Now, however, I'm dismayed that it has deteriorated due to the advanced age of its owner...and probable mismanagement at the hands of some of those who followed.

In fact, Merry Gardens no longer exists. There are no longer any plant sales -- on site...or on the Internet.
Negative postie
September 22, 2002
They also took my money in May 2002 and never shipped or replied to e-mails...website and e-mail address no longer exist. They may appear again under a different name, so be forewarned!
Negative mrmadhat96
August 14, 2002
I ordered from this company, my credit card was charged but I have not received my merchandise. I have emailed them with no response and the telephone number listed here says it has been disconnected. This is a very poor business in my eyes and would not recommend them to anyone.
Negative daisygirl
Florissant, MO (Zone 6b)
June 4, 2002
This is about the worst internet buying experience that I have ever had! The order that I placed with Merry Gardens 2 months ago still hasn't arrived. Other than email (which isn't answered promptly), there is no way to get in touch with anyone associated with Merry Gardens. The telephone number supplied on their website has been disconnected! They took my money and seem quite happy to ignore my desperate pleas for information about a shipping date and method of shipping. I even asked for a refund, but was ignored. I wanted the Hardy Banana Trees so much that I didn't use good judgement. But on the other-hand .... I never found any negative info on Merry Gardens that would have warned me against doing business with them. So now it's up to me .... Don't deal with this company, AT ALL!
Positive lizybennet
February 1, 1998
I have been dealing with Merry Gardens for 10 years now and have never been disappointed. They have wonderful herbs and luscious scented geraniums. They are very helpful.
Positive PEllerbe
April 1, 1995
I bought all sorts of ivies, all of which worked out quite nicely. They also have herbs, geraniums, vines, and so on.