The scoop on 'Olallie Daylily Gardens'

Olallie Daylily Gardens

129 Augur Hole Road
South Newfane, Vermont 05351 (United States)

Phone: 802) 348-6614

Visit Olallie Daylily Gardens at:

Comments:

Positive bryana
Albany, NY
May 9, 2013
Posted on May 9, 2011, updated May 9, 2013
I ordered 6 daylily. Most were quite large but not as large as from Oakes. A couple were on the small side. All were clearly labeled and had good root systems.
On May 9th, 2013, bryana added the following:

I ordered 4 daylilys and they were decent sized plants, packed well and growing nicely.
Negative JanaJP
Rome, GA
June 7, 2012
Posted on June 1, 2012, updated June 7, 2012
I have been trying to get in touch with them at Olallie's with no success. I have left a message on the answering machine, sent an email through this website, and still, no response. I was sent an incorrect cultivar and would like a replacement.
On June 7th, 2012, JanaJP changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

Still no response from Olallie's. I can understand how mistakes can be made with incorrect cultivars when you are dealing with thousands, but a reputable company will stand behind its products considering their prices are much more than other daylily farms. I won't be ordering from them again.
Neutral lucyru
Muncie, IN
May 25, 2012
Posted on May 11, 2012, updated May 25, 2012
plants were very dry and yellow when I received them. I called to make them aware of the situation.These plants very expensive..35.00 a piece. "Chris" told me to wait a yr. I did to no avail.I called back this spring and they won't return my call.
On May 25th, 2012, lucyru changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I eventually got a reply from them and they promised to replace the plants. When I got them they were in very good condition...so am very grateful they addressed this problem with a positive response. Thanks
Positive Ispahan
Chicago, IL (Zone 6a)
March 28, 2012
I absolutely love this nursery. Last fall, I ordered 4 plants of Hemerocallis citrina Hill Type as part of their end of season sale. What I received were 6 giant lusty clumps which are all springing out of the ground in vigorous growth this spring.

Many years ago, probably in the mid to late 1990s, I ordered a division of Hemerocallis citrina from Olallie which also performed beautifully over the years and introduced me to the pleasures of growing species day lilies. It was transplanted to my parents' house when I moved to the city and it is still growing strong, producing more and more scapes every season.

I know of no other nursery with such a wide selection of species Hemerocallis or unusual older hybrids. Though day lilies are not my favorite perennial and I now probably have all that I need for my garden, I would not hesitate to order again from Olallie if I ever need more.

Negative bloominghaus
Bay Shore, NY
September 8, 2011
small fans...sometimes for the A size (large size) I receive 4 tiny single fans. Very small.
Neutral plantgnome1
nowhere land, NY (Zone 6b)
July 13, 2011
Posted on September 25, 2010, updated July 13, 2011
Received some great daylilies, growing nicely. Only complaint is the restrictive requirement of a minimum $40.00 order.
On July 13th, 2011, plantgnome1 changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

The plants received were a nice size but only two of the plants produced flowers. Very disappointed. Besides that one of the two that did bloom was supposed to be "Buddha" which is a dark red, bloomed cream with pink in it. I emailed them over a week ago with this complaint and received no answer. Will not purchase from them again and will continue to purchase from Oakes website.
Positive omasuziq
Greensboro, NC (Zone 7a)
September 26, 2010
I ordered from Olallie partly based on the few previous, but positive, comments at DG and partly because I needed a certain color daylily of a certain height and Olallie seemed to have it. I have to admit I would have preferred to receive potted stock (I suffer from "bareroot"aphobia) but I knew what I was getting and the previous bare root stock now seems to be thriving in the garden. Their selection is unbelievable. I would recommend Olallie for those who are hemerocallis aficionados.
Positive gregr18
Bridgewater, MA (Zone 6b)
August 28, 2010
I ordered a selection of species and heirloom daylilies from Olallie Gardens. The shipping was very quick, the plants were clearly labelled and clean, and the size of the fans was either as described on the web page or larger. They are also generous with the immature offsets of the larger fans.

They have a nice selection of some of the harder-to-find species daylilies and older cultivars, and the website has good and interesting information on these plants. The choice of fan size is also a nice option. Recommended without hesitation.
Positive DaylilyGardener
Fair Lawn, NJ
August 9, 2009
I was up there camping so I stopped by - for 2 hours! The place is gorgeous! The owner is super nice and the daylilies are very well cared for! I was very impressed and came home with 3 purchases. I will most likely order from them in the future but going there was GREAT! The daylilies I came home with a few weeks ago are still blooming!
Positive LostMeadow
(Zone 4b)
December 23, 2007
I've ordered daylilies by mail from Olallie for about 9 years now, and have never had any problems with their service or plants. Every plant they've sent has arrived in great condition, and every one has flourished. They've grown so well, I've been able to divide quite a few clumps for friends' gardens and for the garden booth of our local hospital's annual fair. We recently moved; I'm now looking forward to ordering more plants from them for my new gardens. We visited their nursery in VT this past summer- it was awesome! The folks there are very helpful and friendly, and the fields of blooms were just beautiful.
Positive PrimroseSue
Medway, MA (Zone 5b)
October 14, 2007
Very healthy, vigorous fans - the resulting plants are wonderful! Their catalog and on-line catalog are very professional and have detailed information. Their selection is large and varied.
Positive clumboy
August 23, 2007
Received wonderful plants. A problem with delivery caused by a mistake on the part of the carrier was immediately rectified by Chris at Olallie Gardens. He sent a replacement shipment on the next ship date. The plants arrived in good time and are beautiful divisions, clean, well rooted and carefully packed. Olallie plants are wonderful cultivars and perform exceptionally well in the garden. Their very late and late bloomers are valuable for the fabulous display they bring to the late summer and fall garden. Chris Darrow was easy to contact and very pleasant to talk to. These are hardworking honest folks who care a lot about what they do. I would recommend them without hesitation.
Positive janeairvt
Wallingford, VT
July 18, 2007
I have been buying Olallie daylilies for a couple of years, now. I also have some of their plants that my mother divided for me from her purchases, which started in '03 or '04. In her large garden, it's easy to tell the Olallie blooms, as they are extremely vigorous.

Catalog is great, but there is, I agree, no substitute for a visit. The staff are unbelievably knowledgeable and helpful, and for those of us in the same Zone (4b-5, depending on microclimate), plants are totally predictable.
Positive iheartroscoe
Goshen, IN
July 5, 2007
I ordered from Olallie in May and was very pleased. I received my plants promptly (when I requested) and they were all a nice size. The daylillies are all thriving now and are getting ready to bloom.

Positive Jebadiah
Middlebury, VT
May 22, 2007
I bought a wide variety of lilly's last summer and all of them
have thrived. The long drive to the location was an adventure and well worth the effort. The gardens are spectacular, the
staff cheerful and the flower board is a real help. ( It shows you what is in bloom). Picking high bush blueberries from a tree was also a kick for the family.
Love the catalogue- very helpful. And no, I am not being paid
for my positive comments!
Positive gdionelli
Huntington, WV (Zone 6a)
September 23, 2006
My only Olallie purchase has been from the online fall sale offerings. I love their catalog, and the fact that they have a good selection of late-bloomers. The website is easy to use. My daylilies were shipped promptly and packed well. They were quite a bit smaller than DLs I've purchased from other sellers, but the roots were well-developed and healthy. I also had the feeling they'd been out of the ground for a while, but that may be because of the ongoing sale. Anyway, they are all putting out new growth in my garden, and that's what matters. In the future I probably won't buy during the sale.
Positive lizbarr
Wausau, WI
September 2, 2006
Beautiful plants of nice size.
Excellent service.
Positive ksl
Cambridge, MA
August 15, 2006
The web site is nice, but it cannot match visiting the gardens, where you can see what lillies are in bloom at a given time, compare similar lillies, and compose a garden of selected flowers. The people I dealt with were unfailingly helpful and kind. The only downside is that choosing among so many beautiful kinds of lillies can be excruciating and visiting the gardens may become adictive.
Positive tiffanya
Sumner, WA (Zone 8a)
July 4, 2006
The Olallie Web site was easy to navigate and shop. I purchased two daylily varieties. Both arrived safe and sound and are doing well in my garden.
Positive dlmorrow
Springfield, MA
April 29, 2004
This was my first year ordering from OLALLIE. I don't know why since they are only less than a few hours drive from me. I am most pleased not only with the >>excellent<< quality of the plants (day lilies)... very generous. Plus, their customer service is timely. Any emails I sent to them were promptly answered.

I highly reocommend them and intend to visit their gardens in July.
Positive kiahjk
October 4, 2002
I made my first purchase from Ollalie in May, and was very pleased with the quality and size of the daylilies. I received prompt answers to my questions, too.
Positive CherylIsaak
April 1, 1995
Specializes in daylilies, and Olallie culitivars. Family business. Very nice people and nice bang for the buck on size. Encourage visitors (I am looking forward to the drive out this summer - over a covered bridge) B&W catalog with line drawings. (BTW this is George Darrow's family - he's the breeder).