The scoop on 'Stoney Creek Iris'

Stoney Creek Iris

1170 Stoney Creek Road
Dauphin, Pennsylvania 17018 (United States)

Company Comment, posted on June 26, 2005:
Stoney Creek Iris is located in south central Pennsylvania, where the conditions are not really perfect for iris growing. What that means is....if it grows for us, it wil grow for you! Our rhizomes are not enormous; conditions here don't lend themselves to growing the big lunkers. But in a weird sort of way that's an advantage, because you know if they'll grow here, they're tough, strong iris, and the odds are they'll grow for you. You'll get quick and honest responses to any questions, and your order will be prepared quickly and carefully. This isn't just a business - it's our way of making the world a little more beautiful, one rhizome at a time. Thanks for checking out our site! ~katie

Comments:

Positive themikesmom
Concord, NC
August 28, 2013
Plants recieved by my son and me today, and because their was a delay in recieving them, they sent us the rhizomes plus reinbursed us for the shipping and the cost of the bulbs. I thought that was really Generous and Honest. They have some really rare hard to find cultivars here. Thanks.
Positive dave12122
East Haddam, CT
August 15, 2012
I had ordered 5 different Iris from this company, 3 each of 3 plants and 1 each of two others, for a total of 11 plants. When I opened the box, there were only 5 plants. It was immediately apparent what had happened. Katie had sent me one each of all five varieties, so still owed me 6 plants. When I wrote to her, she responded immediately, stating she was going out of town for a week yet would send the remainder upon her return. In due time a second parcel arrived, containing freshly dug and dried plants, many of which were two fans! So the story had a happy ending, and this experience illustrates how Katie reacts when the world hands her lemons....she makes lemonade! More to the point, she seems like a genuinely nice person. What more could anyone ask for? Order from Stoney Creek Iris with confidence...now I can hardly wait until next May!
Positive Dave39
Mount Wolf, PA
June 3, 2012
Placed an order for variety of iris that is often 'imitated' along with some others. They took the time to check the flowers of the plants and answered my questions about its color accuracy. Super 'old fashioned' personable service for sure.
Can't wait for the rhizomes to arrive and will update the comments then.
Positive DavesGarden0302
State College, PA
January 13, 2012
Shipment arrived in great shape! Iris performed well! Extremely happy with the experience and will order again
Positive skimper
Greenwich, OH
August 25, 2009
Nice! iris plants,great communication,fast shipping.
Highly! recommend.Will buy again.
Positive Pat53
Davenport, WA
November 5, 2008
I had a great first time experience ordering from katie in 2008! Her website is extremely easy to navigate and order from.

The irises I received were in excellent condition and shipped the week I requested.

We had the opportunity to travel from WA (state) to Philadelphia last spring. We made arrangements to visit the iris gardens and although it rained buckets, katie met us with a smile and umbrellas to give us a personal tour of her iris gardens.

I highly recommend Stoneycreek Iris and plan to order from katie again.
Positive Maxsmomma
Philadelphia, PA (Zone 6b)
September 3, 2008
Katie was fabulous to order from. My order came right on time and she even reimbursed me for a rhizome that wasn't quite up to snuff when she dug it up to send. Her emails were great, and she couldn't have been more helpful.

Positive figaro52
Oak Lawn, IL (Zone 5a)
September 2, 2008
This is a great place to order iris! Communication was excellent every step of the way. The rhizomes arrived in great condition and sprouted new growth as soon as they hit the soil! The gardeners soap sample was great, too! Thank you Katie!
Positive rdougla
Pampa, TX
July 31, 2008
I am very pleased with my iris order. Katie is quite personable. The rhizomes are very healthy looking. Shipping was prompt and the prices are more than reasonable.
Positive MGinTraining
Norwalk, OH (Zone 5b)
July 22, 2008
Five Flower Rating!!! Katie is a delight to deal with, full of good information and so helpful. Emails are responded to VERY rapidly. The iris arrived in good time, shipped priority mail, and in perfect condition. I received some plants from another "big name" nursery as a gift on the same day, and, while there was nothing wrong with the other plants, the majority of Katie's plants looked a bit healthier and happier. I like that she tends to treat her iris with natural fertilizers like alfalfa meal, etc. so they arrive ready to grow and not hopped up on artifical stimulants. That helps them get rolling much faster and stronger!

Her website is easy to navigate even for someone stuck with dial up out here in the country. The pictures are lovely, and she is good to tell you shading differences between sunny and cloudy, etc. and whether the color in person differs from the site.

I will DEFINITELY order from Katie again!
Positive grannymarsh
Marquette, MI (Zone 5a)
July 21, 2008
Yes !! YES !! YES !!

Great communication.
Great Product
Great Personality
Quick to answer e-mail
Product is well packaged for shipping.
Great prices
Positive imaforester
Enderlin, ND (Zone 4a)
September 17, 2007
I can not say enough about this company.
I have purchased from Stoney Creek and look forward to doing business with Katie. It's almost like you are an old friend.
You can't go wrong here!
Positive Tntigger
Greeneville, TN (Zone 6b)
August 30, 2007
Great communications and free shipping, a good place to shop for iris.
Positive pollyk
Hannibal, NY (Zone 6a)
August 8, 2007
I was trying to locate an iris I saw a pic of on Daves Garden, and someone told me Stoney Creek carried it.

I emailed Stoney Creek inquiring about availability, and Katie responded immediately that it was available.

I ordered 3 of the iris, and my order was confirmed right away.

The irises were shipped as stated, and are of excellent size, and are healthy.

Couldn't have gone smoother. I will check with Katie at Stoney Creek in the future anytime I am looking for an iris. I will definitely order from Stoney Creek again, and would highly recommend them.

Katie is a very nice person to deal with, and a contributer of information on Daves Garden.

Please give this company a try, you won't regret it!
Positive Pinetucky
Swainsboro, GA (Zone 8b)
August 1, 2007
Great service and nice iris rhizomes! Most were larger than expected, and all appeared healthy. I especially appreciate the great customer service and excellent communication. I look forward to buying here again.
Positive nyc319
Stormville, NY
September 2, 2006
i placed a fairly large order (25+ irises) with stoney creek. katie sent additional "samples" with my order, and a personal note letting me know that one of the irises that i had ordered did not appear to be in good enough shape to ship - so she sent me a refund with my order. later, when i noticed that some of my initial order was missing, katie quickly sent me a follow-up package (express mail). the irises that i received were in great shape (although not large, as another poster mentions) and katie really seems to want to please her customers. her iris selection is huge (there are photos of more than 750 irises on her site), and this is absolutely the first place that i will look the next time i am looking for bearded irises.
Positive Willit_Grow
Loysville, PA (Zone 6a)
July 30, 2006
I visited Stoney Creek Iris personally when she (Katie) had her open garden. Irises looked very healthy and of coarse all were beautiful. Katie was very helpful with all my questions both while I visited and afterward by email. I ordered through her easy to use web site. Prices are very reasonable and FREE SHIPPING too. (which she says she wants to continue) I actually picked mine up since I am close enough so she offered me a discount. I had only gotten 8 from her. She gave me an extra one and a sample of hand soap. The iris rhyzomes are all nice and healthy looking. Most were very large and the roots were many on all. I was very pleased and would recommend Stoney Creek Iris to everyone.
Positive bluebarron14
(Zone 11)
July 22, 2006
Very pleased with my order. Katie is great with personalized communication from start to finish. The web site is easy to use with excellent photos and lots of info. Healthy rhiozomes well packaged and shipped quickly. Even though I only ordered 5, she included a bonus iris and a free sample of gardeners soap! I would definitely return to Stoney Creek for any more iris purchases I make. Highly recommended!
Positive Mitt
Philadelphia, PA
June 26, 2005
I placed an order with this new company and received my order in less then a week. Plant weren't the biggest but by far the best I've ever purchased. Plenty of bonus plants were sent along with the order. I'm so happy with the condition of the plants and the speed with which they arrived I'm working on a list for another order. I would recommend them to anyone who is looking for bearded or historic irises.