The scoop on 'Cackle Hatchery'

Cackle Hatchery

Lebanon, Missouri 65536 (United States)

Fax: (417) 588-1918
Paper Catalog Cost: $3 (full-color)/free brochure

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive ladywolfe
Danville, IN
July 3, 2014
My first time experience ordering from Cackle has gone great. I ordered 15 golden duckwing phoenix chicks from them, and they sent one extra. I didn't lose a single one and they are all very healthy, active chicks. I did have to order these weeks in advance, but I had no problems communicating via email or phone calls when I had a question about the order. I would recommend them- they have a good selection, fair pricing, and fair shipping charges on orders of 15 chicks or more. I would recommend them and would order from them again.

As far as some of the negative comments go- wow. ALWAYS keep new chicks/chickens isolated for the first few weeks no matter where they come from. Give the new chicks plain warm water when they arrive but NEVER microwave the water to warm it up. As soon as we think we know everything there is to know about raising chicks, karma will always throw us a curve ball- so take the same amount of care with each brood as you did your very first time. Lastly, make sure to plan ahead if you're looking for a specific breed- good things are worth waiting for :-)
Positive witta667
Lemmon Valley-Golden Valley, NV
May 26, 2014
We just ordered 33 chicks of several different breeds and were very pleased with our order. All of the chicks arrived healthy and there were extras. We live in NV so that is more than a two thousand mile trip. The chicks are true to type and color. I can't rate them highly enough. They are the only online hatchery that shows actual videos of their breeding stock--every chicken breed they carry. Further, their breeding stock is beautiful and true to breed type. They are all healthy and kept in very clean pens. The chicks have good dispositions and are very gentle and calm. The hatchery communicated with us throughout the process. I couldn't have asked for a better experience.
Positive mlsouth
February 26, 2014
Great company! I ordered a mix of ducks and chickens, all arrived happy and healthy, and are doing great! I LOVE Cackles 15 chick minimum (you can even mix different species of birds like ducks, turkeys and chickens all together in the same box!) I also love the fact that they are family owned and operated, and i love that you get emails from Nancy herself (thank you Nancy!) They also answered all of my stupid, annoying questions with patients and kindness! A+ Will order again!
Negative Aamanda
Linn Creek, MO
November 2, 2013
I ordered 15 Heritage Rhode Island red pullets from them in early August. I called first a few weeks before to verify that there were indeed Heritage and not "Production" Reds. They all arrived on time and spunky. However after a short time it was obvious they were not Heritage. I decided to wait a bit to see if they would darken up. In the meantime I could see that one was defiantly a rooster. No worries. They sent an extra and hey..it was just one. Then a few more started looking like roos. Pretty soon it was clear I had many more roos than should ever be in a all pullet order. I called and was told to email the pics. So I did. It was only september 17th so I know I could be wrong but they only give you a certain number of weeks to report a problem. I wanted to get the report in on time. I waited for a call or email but never got one. I called after a few days and not hearing back and was told to email again. I sent another email on September 27. I explained in the email as I did on the phone that I needed to know what they were going to do. I was sent a straight run. I needed pullets. That is why I paid extra. If they were not going to fix it I needed to know. That way I could get some ordered before shipping stopped for the year. Never heard back. I called one last time and sent one last email. NOTHING!! I ended up with 7 roosters that several judges have told me were "Glorified production reds" Sure..they are in great health. But I had to get rid of 6 of the roosters because they became very aggressive toward each other. So now im stuck with 10 chickens that are not the right kind. And no one bothered to even call me back. Not even to say I was wrong or to wait a little longer and send new pics. NOTHING. They are all nice and courteous when you order but God forbid they get something wrong and you want them to fix it. Now I have to wait till spring order the correct type from someone and feed them all summer when I should be getting eggs. I will never order from them again. And I belong to many Chicken forums and will continue to warn anyone considering purchasing from them not to do so. I live in the same state in the hatchery and tell anyone I can any chance I get what they did and will continue to do so until (like it will ever happen) they make it right. The feed store I go to all the time buys from them but I have convinced them to use another hatchery. If you want mutt poultry with no customer service than by all means order from them. I also went back and looked at their web page. I looked at their production red pic and the Heritage pic. Im not 100 percent sure but I think its the same rooster but different sides. And after reading more I don't think the pics are from their birds but rather a "Representative of the breed"
Positive crazybanshee
Clear Spring, MD
June 20, 2013
Placed 2 ordered with cackle this year. Both mixed orders of 60+ sexed chicks of various breeds. Love the variety in easter egger colors, they send both dark and light variants which is great. Haven't had an too many turn out to be roosters which is a nice change from the other hatchery I ordered from this year. I don't know what people are saying about sick chicks, all the ones I received looked very healthy and very few died. Yes if it's very cold (Nov-Feb) you risk them getting chilled in the mail but I've had no disease problems or apparent genetic defects like some people are saying. I will definitely be ordering from them next year.
Positive allendk
Max, ND
May 31, 2013
We received our order from Cackle they were great, we will order agin, and thanks Zack he was very helpful. Allen
Negative brysonjohnson65
Springville, UT
May 2, 2013
I ordered 22 chicks. After waiting several months i was so happy to get them but when i opened them there they are just laying there dead all 22 of them. And it said they ship extra chicks in case one dies and they didnt .However i did get my money back .I will neverrrrrr order from there again and neither will anybody I know.
Positive ceejls
Wasilla, AK (Zone 4b)
April 21, 2013
Ordered 25 straight run chicks (5 Buff Orpington, 5 Black Australorp, 5 Barred Plymouth Rock, 5 Easter Eggers, 5 Delaware) online back in January, asking for delivery on 4/18/13.

Received my email confirmation and invoice same day I ordered. Received email that my chicks were on their way 4/17/13 along with a link for tracking them. Received them morning of 4/18/13. Impressive, seeing as I live in Alaska!

Received all 25 (plus 2 extra) chicks alive, all looked healthy. 1 died the following day with no obvious symptoms, just flopped on his back and expired. But the others are all still completely healthy!

So far a completely awesome and easy experience ordering from Cackle, will do so again :)
Positive bill375
Beaumont, TX
April 7, 2013
I ordered 25 Golden Comet chicks, to be delivered in mid-April. In late March the hatchery called and said they had some ready to go and they coud send them early if I was able to take them. A few days later I received 26 GC chicks. They arrived in great shape and after a week and a half in the brooder I've had no problems. I have subsequently placed another order.
Positive WilliamMatthews
Elizabethtown, KY
April 4, 2013
Ordered New Hampshires from Cackle twenty years ago..The absolute best looking and laying Hamps seen since 40's and 50's...Also got several other chicks from them at different times over the years...This hatchery and these people are FIRST CLASS...Seems that most of the negative comments are from people who may not really know how to raise baby chickens or are whiners,PERIOD.
Positive StewedMammal
Pembroke, MA
March 30, 2013
I ordered the Frypan special from Cackle Hatchery back in February. I recieved 26 chicks all alive and well. I got Barred Rocks, RIRs, Buff Orpingtons, and White Leghorns. They are now about 6 weeks old and all 26 are happy and thriving. I will definatly order from them again.
Positive serenity_mar11
Jamestown, NY
March 20, 2013
Posted on March 20, 2013, updated March 20, 2013
Well I was so pleased with the order of chicks I recieved today!!! For one I want to say that I live in New York and it was definitely with a wind chill close to 0 degrees today and they all made it to me safe and sound no injeries I ordered 25 silkies they gave me 28 (3 extra) which I am so thankful and like I said they are all doing great this was my first time ordering from cackle and let me tell you I will never order from anywhere again! I previously have tried a few hatcheries and never again will I! I will admit that I really didnt care for cackles website or being on the phone with them great people but I was shuffled on the phone for awhile but it was so worth it in the end and on top of it I got 28 silkies and they ALL have beards come on now I cant even believe it still but either way great place to try would recomend to EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!
On March 20th, 2013, serenity_mar11 added the following:

I just wrote my opinion below I just wanted to add it took 2 days to get them and I sweat they are the only hatchery where you can track your order :) Great I love Cackle!!!
Positive UtahBirdMan
Mapleton, UT
March 7, 2013
All chicks arrived happy, healthy, and vigorous! Will order again. I ordered 23 Marans chicks and they all did great.
Positive KristyVannoy
Talty, TX
March 4, 2013
I ordered 30 Pekin Ducklings and 30 Khaki Campbell's all were strait run and they sent 2 extras. All arrived healthy and alert. I have ordered from them several times due to there very reasonable prices and each time was a pleasent experience and all chicks and ducklings arrived healthy. I am currently awaiting the arrival of my 3rd order this year of Welsh Harlequin ducklings. I will continue to order from Cackle Hatchery anytime i am in need of poultry or supplies. I usually recieve my orders within 2 business days with the exception of my last order in which i received my ducklings only 26 hours after they shipped them.
Positive tjj1967
Nacogdoches, TX
February 27, 2013
I ordered 5 speckled sussex, 5 buff orpingtons, 5 silver laced wyandottes, and 5 gold laced wyandottes, from Cackle Hatchery, totaling twenty. They sent me 22 chicks, the extras were 1 buff orpington and 1 silver laced wyandotte. Four were very lethargic on arrival, and despite my efforts, 3 of the four died, leaving me 19 chicks. I have absolutely no complaints, the hatchery contacted me to let me know that the chicks were on their way, they sent the tracking information, i contacted the post office to let them know and have them call me when the chicks arrived, arrival day, USPS called at 6am to tell me they were in. I went to the post office, and checked them, and brought them home. The hatcheries send extras with the shipments, because they know there is a potential for some loss in shipping. The three chicks, just didn't make it. I emailed Cackle, and they were very kind. They asked how I felt about the shipment process, and wanted to make sure that the post office had followed through on their end, and they offered to credit me for the loss. They were very friendly and professional. I will buy from them again, and I would recommend them to others.
Positive barred
Laurel, DE
January 27, 2013
feb 28 2012 i order 14 barred rock hens 1 rooster i got 15 and 0ne. great . cackle hatchery they where so nice to deal with it now jan 27 2013 i still have them all with eggs acomeimg and good hatching at 100 percent i have been in this all my life. seen all things from hatching too growing them to lost dont blame them for all bad they do a job.thanks allen laurel de give them a 10
Positive ak_birch
Fox, AK
December 21, 2012
I put in an order of 30 ducklings this past spring. When I had problems with my order they were quik to correct the problems. I was very impressed with thier service and thier obvious concern for the ducklings welfare. Before I ordered from them I had been in contact with another hatchery that when I asked about the long trip up here (Alaska) and the welfare of the ducklings I was told just to order extras as thats just how it goes. Cackle wanted to do what they could to ensure the ducklings had the best success. That speaks volumes in my mind. I believe every animal is just as valuable of a life as the next.

As far as the reviews where others state that they could not get through on th phone or through e-mail, I must say that they even called me back on thier own accord and I can not imagine that they would ovoid the phone all together as they would have no idea who was on the line trying to reach them. As a business woman this just doesn't make sense to me.
Negative CSFarm
Ronda, NC
November 26, 2012
Posted on August 8, 2010
Oh how I wish I had found this site sooner! We will never order from Cackle Hatchery again. Ordered 100 Blue Slate turkeys from them a few years back. They sent 102 and some were dead on arrival with several sick. The post office even made a written statement of this. I made numerous phone calls to the hatchery and over a few days, all but one of the 102 turkeys died. After several phone calls (many resulting in a busy signal) and e mails they would do nothing about the problem. With cost of birds, shipping, medication and long distance phone calls I ended up with close to $500 in one turkey. Buyers beware, Cackle Hatchery took advantage of me! They were very rude but maybe that is just how they act in that part of the world. I told Nancy that I would be satisfied if they would split the loss with me and send 50 turkeys replacements for the dead ones. I even sent them pictures of the dead ones. I tried to be decent and she said there was nothing that she was going to do. The last words I spoke to her was that I was going to do everything in my power to make sure I cost her more business revenue in the future than what Cackle Hatchery had ripped me off. By the comments I have just read, they are still at it. Years later, I am still bitter about the way I was treated. I have kept my word to Nancy and still seize the opportunity to tell anybody I can, just as I have done here. Murray McMurray hatchery is a little more expensive to purchase birds but their quality and customer service is miles ahead of Cackle Hatchery.
Chad Sale
Negative gweierheiser
Houghton, NY
October 31, 2012
last year I ordered 6 americanas one rooster and 5 hens, along with 10 wellsummers(SP) for their dark brown spotted eggs. chicks grew up good no complaints their, once they got to be about 6 months old I am loosing them one at a time first it was my americana rooster, I also noticed that all but one of my americana hens had deformed beaks from an arch that is to high to criss crossed beaks which in return makes it hard for them to eat/ cant eat, which in return they die. Yes I did email them and got a story about how they will have to look into their breeding program and that this only happens 10 percent of the time,,,ok so I had 5 hens and all but one was deformed that is by no mean 10 percent more like 80. I am now down to 2 americanna hens one black one with a crissed cross beak and a white normal looking hen. Now on to my welsummers... I am down to 4, 6 have just died , slowly over the last year,( always nice to go to the coop in the morning with my 2 year old daughter to find dead hens!) out of the 4, three of them are blind in one eye. It's a shame that their breeding stock is so weak. cackle can not say that its something that I am doing because I still have hens from my first batch of hens(NOT orderd through them) and 2 americana hens that I hatched myself over 2 years ago, they are doing great. I agree with the people with a negative feed back...their is something wrong with the breeding/ housing program at cackle hatchery...I chalk it up to BAD breeding/inbreeding in my case. This is my first time and last time using Cackle hatchery.BE AWARE !
Positive criplegarden
SNOW CAMP, NC
October 27, 2012
A++++ My family ordered from McMurray before & got who knows what breeds and they just kept sending replacements for the numerous deaths-it was a bad experience. However, we tried again w/ Cackle & have been extremely pleased. The lose was min. & they were very quick & nice about any problems which were few. Highly recommend....healthy chicks, few deaths and not so domestcated they can't forage. I did my research and it paid off, thanks Cackle.
Positive edhurlburt
Lincolnville, ME
September 18, 2012
Ordered 15 Guineas (hatchery choice) and 5 Americauna pullets. All arrived in excellent condition -healthy and hungry. They're 3 weeks old now and all doing great.
Cackle was easy to deal with and I would do it again.
Negative MCosme
West Chicago, IL
August 14, 2012
We bought 15 Silvered Penciled Bantam Cochins in the spring only to be told by the Judge at the Fair that they were mixed... called Cackle got some lame excuse, denying the possiblity. We took the mutts to an auction, only to be told by everyone under the sun that they were a mixed breed. Highest bidder paid $.50 a bird, what does that tell you. We (and everyone we know) will not order from Cackle again.
Positive trinekay
Dozier, AL
August 3, 2012
ordered 16 chicks , got 17- 4 months old and all are doing great.really big , really nice , begining to lay eggs .ordering from this company was very pleasant . ordered 5deleware xhamp, 5black australorp, 6barred rock would buy from them again.
Positive rockbottombirds
Cleveland, GA
July 31, 2012
I purchased a Hatchery Suprise from Cackle and so far this has been the best experience that i have had with a hatchery! I recieved 36 baby chicks and 4 Turkey. I recieved my birds on July 25 and it has been 6 days and everything i got was alive when i recieved them and they are still doing great! I will for sure be ordering the Hatchery Suprise again and any other breed i may need! Thanks Cackle
Positive gwhand42
Park City, MT
July 25, 2012
We ordered our second batch of chicks from Cackle, and couldn't be more pleased. This was our first mail order of chicks and were hoping for the best, and we were not disappointed. They are all doing great, except for one we lost due to our dog. The customer service department was friendly, and timely in notifying us of our chick's arrival date. The only thing I would have changed is the ability to pick our ship dates. But they came in the time we were hoping for anyway. I like the fact that you can order a smaller number of chicks,15 instead of 25, and their shipping rates were fair. We will most likely order again.

As for all the negative comments I have been reading, it seems as though most of you have a problem accepting any responsibility for what your part in the problems were. If this hatchery is so bad, then how is it they are still in business after all these years? And if their chicks were diseased, the state agency would shut their production down until all traces of the contamination were cleaned up and gone. So make sure you follow the directions sent to you, and if you're not absolutely sure about what to do to properly care for your chickens, then swallow your pride and ask someone who has had experience raising chickens. They are your most helpful and best source of information.

Keep up the good work Cackle Hatchery, and we hope to be doing business with you again soon.

God bless you all

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge;

fools despise wisdom and instruction. (Proverbs 1:7 ESV)
Positive heiz441
Climax Springs, MO
July 23, 2012
As a past customer of Cackle Hatchery, I would like to add a comment. I have dealt with them before and find the the transactions to be very fair. The one thing that some people don't seem to realize is that ordering poultry through the mail is different than ordering say- a book. While books are stored in warehouses and can be replenished whan the supply gets low, so that everyone can receive their book the day they were promised; the same cannot be said for poultry that is booked sometimes months in advance. The old term 'Don't count your chickens before they hatch' applies here. There are many variables here (power failures, infertile eggs, equipment failure, weather, packaging flaws, etc). All hatcheries have to deal with these problems. The people at Cackle do an excellent job to deliver as promised.
Positive stdwht
Meadow Bridge, WV
July 21, 2012
I ordered 15 pheasant checks. The ordering experience was very nice. The company rep was very helpful on the phone. The chicks were shipped on the date they gave me. Then the Post Office lost them. I called Cackle and they promised to make it right with me. I found them in another city the next day. Went and picked them up, expecting all of them to be dead or dying. I had a total of 6 lost, thanks to the postal service, not Cackle. I called Cackle to let them know and within a few days they had credit my account for my lost chicks. Great customer service! The remaing chicks are doing absolutely great at over 2 weeks of age now. I will order from Cackle again!
Positive ladymustang
Maplesville, AL
June 29, 2012
On June 1,2012 I placed an order over the phone for 15 Easter Egg Pullets, 5 Black Australorp pullets and 5 Speckled Sussex Pullets ( they was the only place that could ship all 3 breeds the same day). When I asked when could I expect to get them I was told I could get them on Wed. June 6. The Post Office called me on June 6 to let me know my chicks was in. I received 27 chicks ( my extras was 1 each of the breeds I had ordered 5 of.) All of my chicks are doing great and will be put on the ground in the next week because they are out growing my chick coop , They are almost fully feathered now and come running when I feed & water them.It has been many years since I ordered from them the last time but I am very happy with my order.
Positive greg2008
Friendship, ME
June 19, 2012
this was my first time ordering from cackle hatchery, they were very polite and eager to take my order, i ordered 25 americaunas/easter eggers, i received my order in less then a week! this was the quickest i had ever received chickens from a hatchery. i live in Maine and was curious as to how the baby chicks would take the long trip but there was 26 healthy chicks all peeping when i picked them up at my post office! there was not one single casualty! the chicks also look exactly as cackle had pictured them on their site with nice tuffs/beards and a great variety of colors. i just wanted to post my experience with cackle because i think maybe not many of the positive experiences make it here, when everything goes good most people will not post here, but when something goes wrong they probably will
Company representative comment on June 20, 2012:
On Jun 20, 2012 12:03 PM, Cackle Hatchery responded with:

thank you very much... What you said is very true. We get many, many emails about the happy experiences but of course they don't make it to the forums. Again, Thanks

Positive Piroco
San Juan, PR
June 13, 2012
Hi. Just wanted to say that 2 weeks ago i placed an order , over the phone, for 13 naked neck ´turken´ (or as we call them here ¨Piroco´)pullets and 2 roo. I was told my order would be ready to ship on june 11, 2012. That day i received an email confirming shipping. Today, june 13, 2012 i received a call at 6 am from the post office, telling me the chicks had arrived. I drove to the post office and all the chicks were great. The even sent one more, so i ended up with 16. Almost 8 hours after receiving the chicks they are all right. This is great considering the chicks traveled from Lebanon, Mo to San Juan, Puerto Rico! Thats a lot of miles if you asked me!!

I would like to add that the person i talked to when placing the order was very friendly. If nothing tragic happens in the next couple of days, i think i will be doing business again with Cackle!

Ric.

Positive Pastor_Mark
WELDONA, CO
May 30, 2012
All I can say to everyone is that I am TOTALLY PLEASED and 100%satisfied with my business with Cackle for the past TWENTY YEARS+. I have ordered everything from silkies to guineas and never had a problem, and even when I would change my mind three times on an order they were polite, to the point, and never disrespectful. So, with some of the reviews I have read I am not sure what happened or who they talked to, but my experience has been nothing but professional. Further, their stock is not inbred and weak, the Ameraucanas in particular are VERY much to the national standard and have great tufts and pea combs, and the guineas have proven themselves over and over to be the toughest I have ever bought. I have ordered "sale" guineas from another hatchery only twice to have them either die of the cold or whatever disease they came with. Guineas from Cackle were turned LOOSE after only three weeks, went feral, and we lost perhaps five to predators out of 50 of them--they all made it to maturity in the wild here in northeastern Colorado. My silkies I ordered once in 2000 I had for over ten years until the final white hen breathed her last after many many eggs being laid. I still have decendants from those birds running around! Thanks Nancy and staff--I could not be more pleased. Reverend Mark Shaver, Colorado.
Company representative comment on May 30, 2012:
On May 30, 2012 12:20 PM, Cackle Hatchery responded with:

Thanks to everyone who are posting the positive messages here. We do appreciate it. Our staff works very hard to please the customers. and our breeding program people stay on top.....The most problems we have are with postal delivery.... you all know what the post office is doing....you can help by going to usps
site and voicing your complaints. or fill out the form at your local post office....It is the only way we can ship chicks..There is a great need for backyard chicks and
poultry as more and more people are realinzing that
they need to raise their own for health purposed, hobby, teaching their children where their food comes from and i could go on and on...thanks again everyone. Nancy

On May 30, 2012 12:21 PM, Cackle Hatchery added:

I see i misspelled some words. sorry.

Positive EdenCamp
Waynesville, MO
May 25, 2012
People I know that helped me get started in poultry get most of thier stock from Cackle. I also picked up a dozen chicks and 8 cornish X's from Orshelins who carry Estes Hatchery stock. All have done well and are growing out nicely. From first hand and reviews there were a number of positives for good/superior (hatchery) type for several breeds I was intereested in.

Since I live less than an hour from Cackle I stopped in on a Wed. afternoon to make purchases directly. The sales person was polite, friendly and helpful - not to mention patient with my decision making process.
The facilities were clean. There was a seperate room stacked with loaded brooders of "older" chicks on SALE. Again, clean, not stanky, no evidence of ill or dead chicks. It's early for keets and I missed out on the few that were available.

I purchased heritage turkeys - 4 Blue Slate (got 5) and 3 Royal Palms (all on SALE). A trio of Black Asuralorps. A trio of RIRs (also on Sale). 2 Pullets SL Wyandottes. 2 Pullets EEs. 5 Pullets and 1 Cockeral Cuckoo Marans. They freebied 3 more chicks but the lil critters are so active I'm having a hard time figguring out what the extras are other than one is a EE. The clerk automatically marked the males which was helpful. I have to say I am pleased to see that the EE's are bearded/muffed and of more Americuna type than the EE's from Estes. The RIR's that are also supposed to be of superior type will have to wait and see how they develop. A few of the chicks (3or4) were smaller but seemed to be a younger hatch and not weak at all.

ALL are healthy, extremely vigerous and active 48 hours later. 8 heritage turkeys and 19 chicks, 3/4ths considered rare, for $80 I thought was VERY reasonable.

Providing they continue to thrive (other's negative health experiences in reviews noted), I will definately recommend Cackle to others and will purchase from them again.
Positive wolfwillow
April 26, 2012
Posted on April 16, 2012, updated April 26, 2012
Posted on April 13, 2012, updated April 16, 2012
Ordering was pleasent, ship date right on, all chicks arrived alive and well. So far are thriving, active and growing. A little frightened by the negative issues posted here regarding infected stock.I have 3 brooders going from 3 different shippers, never mix until all have no issues and get moved to outdoor housing. We handle as little as possible ( ocassional pasty butt)and disinfect between batches when changing water and feeders. Will keep posted on health of birds. So far a very positive order of giants.Thanks

On April 16th, 2012, wolfwillow added the following:

Our giants are very busy, growing and content. I would order from Cackle Hatchery again.

On April 26th, 2012, wolfwillow added the following:

Very pleased with our order from the hatchery, all the chicks are thriving, will order again from Cackle.
Positive lbell912
Otterville, MO
April 13, 2012
I have ordered from cackle hatchery on two occassions. Always receive on time, all chicks alive, extra chicks in order. First ordered two years ago for Buff Orpingtons. Latest order for meat cackles. Just received current order of 100. Received 106 chicks and 3 ducks. These are great folks to work with. I have no complaints.
Positive Paintchik
Nashville, TN
March 23, 2012
I am a first-time chicken buyer/owner, and I called Cackle to place an order on 03/07/12. I placed an order for 5 Australorps, 5 Buff Orpingtons, and 5 Light Brahma chicks. The lady I spoke with initially was a bit clipped, but pleasant enough.

I didn't receive an email confirming my purchase, so I called the hatchery back a few days later and confirmed my email address. I checked my "junk" box and the invoice they'd sent had wound up there - which was totally my fault. So they did send me an invoice.

I called back a third time because I'd just found out that it would be better for the chicks to be vaccinated against Marek's disease, and even on the third call back everyone I spoke with was pleasant and business-like. The chicks were vaccinated and I was sent another invoice (which I got!)

The chicks were shipped on their ship date (March 14th,) and I received all 16 of them alive and well. Yes, even the extra one survived!

It's been over a week now that we've had these babies, and they are ALL thriving and doing wonderfully. They will soon be separated because they were bought to be pets/layers for three different households, but for now are happy and healthy babies. Some of them are even starting to fly and escape the brooder!

Very happy with my experience with Cackle. The customer service was outstanding (and they answered my questions each time I called,) and the babies are each healthy. I would definitely recommend this hatchery!
Positive IdealisticRoo
Canon City, CO
March 5, 2012
I ordered by phone and was given a ship date, which was the date they shipped on. 100% arrived alive! The assortment had a great variety, which had obviously been chosen with care.

The birds are happy and healthy and growing like weeds!

Thanks Cackle!
Positive WyomingZoo
Riverton, WY
March 1, 2012
My experience with Cackle Hatchery is a positive one. Last spring, we ordered 20 surplus rare turkeys, 5 Black Breasted Red Phoenix, 5 Silver Laced Polish, and 5 Partridge Cochins. My 4-H kids were thrilled will their little friends and I have been very impressed with the Hardiness of the turkeys. One did die within a few weeks and one was killed by a dog a few weeks ago, but other than that, they have been really hardy birds. We have eaten a few and were really impressed. My daughter took Grand Champion with her BBRP in her class and my son took reserve with his Polish in his class. We had a slight problem with the shipping dates, the turkeys had to be shipped later, but they called me about that. We did receive some Golden Duckwing phoenixes by mistake, but they have been so great about that, too. The cochins are great layers, but did not excel in the county fair. We are definitely ordering from them again and have encouraged others in our 4-H club to do so as well.
Overall a very positive experience.
Positive ottobb
Rapid City, MI
February 12, 2012
Posted on February 12, 2012, updated February 12, 2012
We ordered 15 heritage chickens last April for delivery in June. They arrived all in good shape, and I am pleased to report that they all lived, and most will be in the freezer shortly. My only minor issue is that when I ordered them, they didn't give me a ship date, rather there was a comment field to leave requests. In late May I had to e-mail them to request a "general" arrival date. They emailed back apologizing for not letting me know when they would arrive. Great birds, just need a little tweek in the customer service arena.
On February 12th, 2012, ottobb added the following:

I mean heritage turkeys, and they sent one extra.
Negative r0zeep0zee
Durham, NC
February 10, 2012
We received 50 (plus the 2 extra) Cinnamon Queens in the mail yesterday morning. Over the next 30 hours, we lost 15 of them. Now that I've read this negative feedback, I have no doubt that we will lose more. I will not use this company again.
Company representative comment on April 26, 2012:
On Apr 26, 2012 3:45 PM, Cackle Hatchery responded with:

Did you call us to discuss this issue? The only way we can handle a problem is if you phone. Thanks

Positive Julieschmulie
Kansas City, KS
November 23, 2011
I ordered 15 Cornish Cross broilers that hatched Oct 4th. I received the chicks the next day at the post office, all 15 plus one extra were alive and well. All were healthy and made it to slaughter weight without any problems whatsoever. I had good customer service when I called the hatchery, no problems placing my order and they called the day they were shipped to let me know my order was en route. My experience with Cackle Hatchery was positive, and I look forward to doing business with them again.