The scoop on 'Ideal Poultry Breeding Farms, Inc.'

Ideal Poultry Breeding Farms, Inc.

Cameron, Texas 76520-0591 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive Amanda907
January 24, 2014
I placed my order twice online but their website is very outdated and needs work. It is often down and not working and I never got an order to go through on it even though I completed the orders online. They just never got to ideal for some reason.

They staff was very nice and helped me place my order over the phone. I changed my order a few times and they were nice about that as well. I ordered around 35 birds from ideal and they all shipped on January 21st which was a day earlier than I was expecting. I thought it odd that they shipped them at 8:30 at night on Tuesday knowing that the birds would have to sit overnight but I figured they knew what they were doing.

The birds did not arrive and I called Ideal on Friday morning knowing that I live in Alaska I knew that the birds were more than likely all dead at that point. The post office tracking still said they were in TX so I assumed something happened within the post office.

The person on the phone was very very helpful and immediately reordered my birds to ship on Monday. They did end up at the post office this afternoon and as expected non were alive. I am hoping that they ship them in the early am this time and that they get here in a more timely manner next week but I am still marking them with a positive review because of the way things were handled on their end.

I will update my review next week with how things turn out, hopefully they show up alive this time. Its the first time I ever lost a shipment and I have been bummed about it all day. At least the hatchery was nice about it though, that really made all the difference.
Positive Stu77047
Houston, TX
October 31, 2013
Ordered chicks and had issues. Contacted Ideal Poultry after hours and left a message. Got s resolution to my issue the next morning. Will use again in the future and will recommend them to others.
Positive Express128
Mansfield, TX
October 22, 2013
Friendly staff, quick shipping, chicks arrived healthy (no extras were given.) One didn't make it but a quick call to ideal and a refund was issued. Overall, Great Service & Pricing. Will buy from again in the spring.
Positive StewedMammal
Pembroke, MA
September 29, 2013
This July I ordered 15 Cornish cross chicks. They all arrived alive, but there weren't any extras. One chick died 3 days later due to a severe case of pasty butt and 5 died a few weeks later from coccidiosis. The remaining 9 were HUGE by the 8th week! A lot of meat and it tasted delicious. I will defiantly order from them again.
Positive GritzandGravy
Memphis, IN
May 9, 2013
Ordered 40 bantams from ideal poultry. 5 oeg silver duckwing, 5 oeg brown red, 5 oeg mottled, 5 oeg spangled (oeg=old english game), 5 cornish dark, 5 cornish bluelaced red, 5 cornish spangeld, and 5 blackbreasted modern game.
Got exactly what I ordered. Chicks hatched may 1 and I picked them up at the post office on may 3. Chicks are over a week old now and I only lost two due to overcrowding and one just got wet. The rest are healthy as can be.
I would deffinately recommend Ideal Poultry to anyone considering ordering some birds. The web page is easy to navigate, the customer service is great, and the prices are reasonable. Ill deffinately be a return customer.
Positive etherealsunshin
Wyanet, IL
May 9, 2013
Just got my Silver Sebright chicks this morning...two extra added to my order of 8 and all arrived healthy and chirpy!
I requested no "packing peanuts" and was a little worried about those tiny little guys bouncing around in the box alone, but they added an extra straw mat to make the box a bit smaller on the interior. The weather also cooperated so the chicks didn't have to endure any extremes (except, perhaps on a USPS flight).
Silver Sebrights are often priced much higher from other hatcheries and since I don't have room for many chickens, I appreciate that they will ship small orders (and without extra roos, to boot)--there is a $25 minimum on orders and shipping is reasonable.
I was notified when my chicks shipped via e-mail. The box says they hatched at 10AM Tuesday and the post office called me at 8AM today (Thursday). I'm very happy with my order.
Positive jamesofloyd
Manning, SC
May 3, 2013
Posted on April 6, 2013, updated May 3, 2013
Positive- good customer service!!!

Negative- I lost all but 11 of 64 for chicks on my last order. I buy chicks wholesale from 2 hatcheries and 6 breeders and have never lost so many chicks from any one place. I was considering using Ideal for wholesale, but im afraid my reputation will be tarnished. These chicks were week and could barley stand. it appeared the were hatched early or with help. the little guys did not stand a chance.

we will see how they handle such a big fumble. i'll return and vent if im not satisfied with the results.

positive- i got 100 silkies in febuary at and unbelievable price... they refunded me for the ones i lost.
On May 3rd, 2013, jamesofloyd changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Ideal has handle my bad order fantastically! they recent my lost chicks in a second and 3rd order!!! they never once made me feel like i was a bother. customer service is awesome!!!
Positive gldrgrl
Vinalhaven, ME
March 25, 2013
I have ordered twice from Ideal in the past year. Both times my shipments arrived 100% alive and thriving. And you can't beat Ideal's prices!

My first shipment consisted of two goslings and a bunch of "packing peanuts" (production red roosters, in my case). The goslings were sexed correctly and grew up into beautiful adults. (I feel I should note here that, to my knowledge, Ideal is the only hatchery that will sell single sexed geese.) My brown Chinese goose lays an egg every other day! I kept two packing peanuts and they grew up into the most incredible roosters ~ calm, friendly, beautiful, and protective. I wish I still had them but they died valiantly to save their flock.

My second shipment was 13 female ducklings. All 13 arrived active and healthy. There was one sexing error, and I ended up with one drake, but you know, that is not a big deal, and mistakes happen. I was impressed that my order (1 or 2 of many different breeds) arrived exactly as I had requested it. I have ordered from other hatcheries that consistently seem to mess up when it comes to putting the right quantities of the right breeds into the box. All the ducks are a year old now and they are beautiful representations of their breeds.

I would not hesitate to order from Ideal again!
Positive jasonj
Leary, TX
January 25, 2013
I have ordered from Ideal 4 times in the past 6 years. I did lose 2 chicks from one order but all the rest have thrived. That order had 3 extra chicks and an extra duckling. I didn't report the loss because I still got more than my original order.
I think Ideal goes above and beyond to ensure the customer is satisfied with their orders.
Negative frugalfarmer
Auburn, AL
November 27, 2012
I have been breeding livestock for over 20 years. I have traveled the US in search of "good" livestock for my farm. I have always taken great pride in what I raise and sell. I do not go to auctions to buy, therefore I know where all my animals come from that are not bred here. This past spring I needed 2 new bloodlines of chickens for my farm. I have 21 breeds of NPIP birds. I needed a new rooster for my Silver Laced Wyandottes and a couple of new pullets for my Barred Rocks. I normally order from Cackle if I need something new but since my former feed store was ordering some chicks from here they asked if I needed anything. I said yes since I would not have to buy more birds than I wanted to meet the requirements from Cackle or any other hatchery. I ordered 5 barred rock pullets and 5 SLWyandotte cockerels..Boy was I surprised after about 3 months...None of the cockerels had rose combs...all straight combs and actually had lots of brownish/red color in them. The pullets were faded grey like roosters were and not dark at all like good quality Barred Rock hens have. I called Ideal on 4 different occassions and had to leave messages for "Russ" who I was told would be the only one to correct the problem. Well that was in April and it is now almost December and never recieved one single phone call. First of all the customer service was a joke and the quality of birds was a bigger joke. Needless to say those birds were culled and no longer exist on my farm. I understand that they contract with outside breeders in order to get their hatching eggs just like all the hatcheries do but come on ...not one phone call...And at this point, I am still need of a SL Wyandotte rooster..I have run adds all around the neighboring states and not one reply..That is sad...0 out of 5 correct roosters...Pathetic...I will never ever buy from them again. I am opening a small organic farm store this next spring and I will offer birds from my own flocks as "chick days" to ensure that my customers get what they pay for....When people get as many messages from me and dont return the call...it wasnt missplaced...they ignored the call and dont want to fix the problem...with companies like that ....we are all just another paying customer and if we dont come back then no loss...they will just get another customer that was not satisfied with the birds they got from another supplier...It is a vicious cycle...Just remember good views and negative views come from all sorts of people. Nothing is ever perfect...If you want it done right....do it yourself...I will next year as soon as I can get a "clean" rooster!!
Positive trishmcd86
Conway, SC
October 21, 2012
WOW! what an experience. All my chicks arrived alive and healthy. I ordered 20 straight run standard blue cochins, and 5 cuckoo maran pullets. On the website, it stated that the marans were no longer available, but when i placed my order on the phone, the lady said that she would make it happen, and she did! I did have one of my maran chicks that arrived spraddle legged, but with some hobbles and three days, she was good to go. I ordered the Cochins straight run because i was hoping to get at least one rooster of each color (black, blue, and splash) wouldnt you know... i did! And those are the only males i got. They gave me two extra cochins, and out of the 22 i recieved, only three were males. They all have beautiful leg feathering, except one of the splash hens. In total, there were three black, three splash, and the rest were all blue. Some of them are dark blue, and some are light blue.

Another thing, I had the order date set for 10/10/12. i recieved a call on 10/01/12 asking if i would be okay with them shipping them 10/02/12... i was pleasantly shocked :-) they even got my marans early, so i said absolutly!

The birds are now 2 1/2 weeks old and all are doing fantastic. They are very pretty chicks with loads of personality. I will be placing any future orders for chicks with them from now on. I will say that their customer service on one of the calls i made left something to be desired, but all the rest of the people i spoke with were very helpful and friendly. I am so pleased with the quality of the chicks i recieved from Ideal!
Neutral jack_mcdowell
Eugene, OR
August 29, 2012
First I would like to clarify that while this was my first order from Ideal, we have successfully raised chicks from a variety of local stores in the past.

For my birthday in July I received 30 random bantams from Ideal. Although they arrived quickly, within the first 72 hours I started having casualties.
When I called Ideal, I believe no more than 7 days after the chicks had shipped, I was told that they could do nothing about it since the 4 days since hatching for which they guarantee the chicks had passed. I asked if there was anything that they could do about it and I was told no again. Since then, I have had more sudden deaths and we are now down to 21 chicks, a pretty high mortality rate. However, the chicks that are left have been doing great, hence the neutral review.

PROS:
Fast and reasonable shipping (unlike its competitors)
Excellent variety in the random order (hardly any two chicks look alike)
Great prices (look for their weekly specials or subscribe to their mailers)
They may add extra chicks (not just packing peanuts)

CONS:
Poor customer service (make sure you read the fine print)
High mortality rate with bantams
Some chicks exhibit DQ features such as vulture hawks (They claim the chicks aren't show quality and I don't plan on showing them, but FYI)
Negative bagpiper8
Weldona, CO
August 28, 2012
Posted on August 24, 2012, updated August 28, 2012
I've never written a nasty letter to someone until now. Customer service person was making one assumption after another, saying I did not report losses of an order on time (I did it the day they arrived) and then disregarded en total another set of messages I had been dealing with concerning another order where a large amount of birds had died unexplained. Also referred to me by my first name, but never left their name which I find particularly disrespectful to customers. Either tell me your name or call me by my title or Mr., not as you would a child in familiarity. If you are going to refer to someone with familiarity then you should treat them as such, not like they are trying to pull something or get away with something. Very very disappointed, and this was not the first time either. Therefore, the negative experience stands as such.
On August 28th, 2012, bagpiper8 added the following:

Update: I went through and read ALL the neg. and neutral reviews here, on Ideal. We have ALL had the same crappy experience with whomever they have down there in the office that is not only unprofessional but rude as well. In my complaint I made here, what had happened was that I put in my report for 4 DOA ducks the FIRST DAY and then was told later I made NO such email. Did they even read it? Then I was simply CONVERSING, making NO demand for reimbursement for a problem I had 2 weeks into getting a hundred sebrights (LOST 30+ and still going) and someone offered to let me report the loss that Friday, which then they changed to the next Monday--why I do not know?? Then when I did finally report it, I get this curt bordering rude letter saying "You had plenty of time to report this" and it was all waaaay past the four day guarantee. Well...DUH...I knew that and wasn't even ASKING--(AT FIRST)--to be reimbursed until the rude comments started.

So, I sent the duck email report that I made the day OF the losses AGAIN, and still it was argued I had not done that, and also that "we do not have someone checking the email 24-7 so if you do not get a reply you need to call customer service"--why would I do that?? to talk face to face with some unprofessional _______ and lose my temper? Good grief, do an evaluation of your employees for pete's sake and get some ACCOUNTABILTY down there. Last year I had a problem with an order and a guy there actually sent me AN ENTIRE NEW ORDER! I didn't even ask for it! Now this year I am treated like some punk trying to pull a fast one. IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO BUSINESS WITH THE PLACE, CALL AND FIND THE "FRIENDLY" PERSON, otherwise you will have to block their emails like I did finally. BTW--as if it matters, I am a very peaceful person by nature, a pre-school teacher and pastor by trade. NEVER have I been treated with such disregard, further I have never written a negative review such as this. Appalled.
Positive TimHenson
Paw Paw, MI
August 9, 2012
I ordered 25 assorted bantams in a special that Ideal was offering. Including shipping, I only spent $1.38 per chick. Instead of getting 25, they sent 29!!! All chicks arrived alive and chirping up a storm. Seem to all be very healthy even though we live over 1,200 miles away in Michigan! Not only that, but they arrived to us in one day! Have already sent in another order for 25 more chicks to be sent next week. Thank you, Ideal!!!
Positive flowerchik1
Guyton, GA (Zone 8b)
February 27, 2012
I placed an order for a variety of 10 hens at the end of January. The ten I ordered plus an additional 15 for warmth appeared healthy upon arrival. I did lose one within the first week, but with so many thriving I simply can't complain. They are continuing to grow like crazy and seem healthy. The only thing that could have been a problem is that I requested that they be delivered at the end of February, but I ended up getting them the first week in February. Thank goodness I was so excited for their arrival. I had things ready to go early on so it worked out fine for me. I am thinking about ordering some ducklings and Ideal will be my source if they still have them available when I am ready to purchase.
Positive gothhuntress
Ballston Spa, NY
February 26, 2012
I have ordered ducks and chicks from Ideal 5 times at all different times of the year. I just got a shipment of 18 chicks, 12 I ordered and 6 male warmer chicks. All are healthy and happy and full of energy. I have never had a DOA or sick peep in any shipment. I would highly recommend Ideal. I would not order from any other hatchery.
Positive robbdogr
Long Beach, CA (Zone 10a)
July 25, 2011
This review is for my 3rd order with Ideal Poultry. I have ordered from them in the past, mainly based on reviews I found here, and have been a happy customer.

I am 1500 miles across the country from Ideal Poultry. With the recent heat wave, I was unsure if my baby chicks would be okay in transit. They packed the chicks very well for the weather conditions with lots of room and air holes.

Ideal shipped 26 bantams on Wed. when it was 100 degrees in TX, and all 26 made it alive Friday morning to Southern California, despite the record heat across the country. With my two previous orders, I did not receive any extra chicks, but when there were a couple losses the second time, they credited my account, no problem. This was the first time they have sent an extra chick in one of the shipments. 26 made it, but one was very lethargic, and didn't make it past the 2nd day.

I am very pleased with Ideal poultry's customer service. When I ordered their "last hour assorted bantam special" on Wednesday, July 20th, I ordered over the phone. They were friendly and helpful, eventhough it was hatching/ shipping day and just before closing.

In the past I have just ordered cochins from them, but I tried the last minute assortment on a whim. It had a really nice variety. Cochins are my favorite breed and I was delighted to receive seven different colors of them, plus a bunch of other nice clean legged breeds. I will be ordering from them again in the future.
Positive sweetchick
Oakland, CA
May 31, 2011
I had recently placed an order for 9 baby chicks just enough to meet their $25 minimum. Flash forward to Friday when my chicks arrived. Instead of me picking up the chicks when they arrived, the post office smart as they are delivered it instead. Now there was a note that said to call on arrival, but I guess they can't see because they obviously didn't do that. So I opened the box and half of them were dead and the rest were one the verge of dying. I called Ideal Poultry to report the problem immediately. They said to feed them some sugar water and to call them Tuesday for the total count of death. Tuesday came around called to tell them that 7 of the 9 chicks didn't survived they said that they will refund me all the chicks that died even though it wasn't even their fault. They had great customer service, I will order from them in the future.
Neutral Redbellyspider
Albany, OR (Zone 8a)
March 14, 2011
I ordered 24 straight run bantam chicks, they came, they were in terrible shape (cold & weak) lost a bunch of them within the first 24 hours. I reported the problem to Ideal right after they arrived, they sent my replacement chicks about 2 months later with a bunch of live warmer chicks. They didn't have the correct replacements so I got a mixed group of chicks, this screws up my plans to pair my bantams up for breeding pure bred chicks to sell locally. (I still haven't figured out exactly what some of these mis-matched purebreds are suppose to be but I think half of them are hens! There were 2 dead chicks smashed in the bottom of the box and from the smell they had been dead a while. Lost 2 more within 48 hours. They did refund part of my money, thus the reason I didn't rate them a Negative. The bantam chicks that survived are now 3 and 5 months old and doing well. My latest disappointment starts with 83% of the bantam chicks turned out to be roosters. WTF? 50% is average for hens to roosters in any breed but 17% hens tells me Ideal lied, they sexed the "straight run" and I got screwed! I would not trust the company again in that respect. I now have a bunch of roosters without hens and Hens without a rooster of the same breed that I have raised and put time and money into and I haven't even been able to sell them. I went and reread my coorispondence with Ideal while I was writing this review and I complained before the last chicks came that I thought they had given me far to many roosters, that is probably why I got 50% hens.

As for individual breed quality:
Black Crested White Polish are not anywhere true to color, most are gray/blue with white or mixed colored crests. The one that is closest to being even close to the correct color has a black crest and is more a dirty white with dark gray spots on its chest. Last spring we purchased 6 polish pullets/hens from a feed store that purchased them from Ideal. We ended up with 3 hens & 3 roosters. The feed store didn't take responsibility. Now that I have purchased direct from Ideal I know it wasn't the feed stores error, they trusted Ideal as I did.
Blue Quail Belgian d Anver: I ended up with three roosters. The breed is suppose to have rose combs but one rooster clearly has a single comb and the other two look more like pea combs. This doesn't seem to me like a "pure bred" breed when they have such huge differences in combs.
Partridge Silkie are not true to color, I ended up with only 2 live chicks, both turned out to be roosters and they look nothing alike other them both having shades of redish-brown and black in them. Two pure bred birds of the same sex and breed should look alike.
White Frizzle Cochin. They are beautiful birds but I was hoping to keep a breeding threesome and sell the others. I ended up with only one female and only one bird that actually looks frizzled, so all the others just look like white Cochin's, which doesn't help their sell-ability.
Positive Borncountry419
Loretto, MN
February 25, 2011
I saw the weekly special for assorted ducklings on the website very late. I called the day before it ended in hopes that I could still get them (20 ducklings for 46$, which included shipping). The rep was very friendly, and told me they might even be shipped out that day. So I placed the order, and two days later the post office called at 6am (Feb 10th) to let me know they had arrived. I was a bit nervous during the drive, considering these things had come from Texas. I'm in MN, and the temp had been about -10 degrees that morning. The post office clerk and I were both really excited to look in the box, and I must say I've never seen shipped birds that energetic before. They all tried jumping out of the box! I counted them and was surprised to see 22 birds instead of 20, and about half had large, fluffy, crests on them! The assortment included a khaki Campbell, a Rouen, Blue Swedish, Black Swedish, and Buff Ducks. It's been over 2 weeks, and the only thing I don't like is the ducklings energy. They eat, drink, and mess non-stop, and are growing at an amazing rate! I will definitely be ordering from Ideal again this spring. Keep up the awesome work! Thanks!
Positive saanansandy
Sue, RI (Zone 6a)
February 14, 2011
Posted on December 3, 2008, updated February 14, 2011
I ordered 10 Australorp chicks at the beginning of September. A week later, I added 4 Americauna pullets with no problems. The customer service rep was very cheerful and helpful. They arrived on the correct date and everyone was in excellent shape. I've had them now for two months and all are growing well and are healthy. I will order from them again because of the great condition of the chicks, the ability to change your order before they are shipped and the great customer service.
On March 2nd, 2009, saanansandy added the following:

I ordered again from Ideal: 6 Broad-Breasted Bronze Turkeys and 6 Cuckoo Marans. The service was excellent: they arrived on the expected delivery date(Feb 19)-all very healthy. Included in the order were 13 extra chicks(unknown variety). They are almost two weeks old now and all are healthy and active.
On May 6th, 2009, saanansandy added the following:

I ordered a pair of Tufted Roman Geese, 2 female Pekin ducks, 1 male Pekin drake, 2 Cayuga females and 1 drake. They arrived on March 12th as promised. All very healthy on arrival with an additional 8 RIR roos for warmth.
They are almost 2 months old and all growing beautifully. Highly recommend Ideal Poultry.
On May 6th, 2009, saanansandy added the following:

On February 14th, 2011, saanansandy added the following:

Ordered again Dec 2010: 9 Americauna pullets and 28 Plymouth Rock pullets. They arrived as stated in very good condition. They are now 2 1/2 months old and are very healthy and alert. We did end up with one Plymouth Rock Rooster; however, sexing is not 100% accurate so I am not disappointed with that ratio. No hesitations here on ordering from Ideal.
Positive theresatpt
Greeneville, TN
January 4, 2011
I've ordered from this company and plan to place another order soon. All of my chicks and guineas arrived healthy. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff....a real pleasure to do business with. Thanks Ideal Poultry for all of your help, tips and advice!
Positive IdealisticRoo
Canon City, CO
December 2, 2010
I placed my order on their website - idealpoultry.com It is an easy to use site that SHOWS ALL THE CHARGES BEFORE YOU PUT YOUR C.C. number in - I demand that or I don't go any further!

I ordered 13 Black Australorps, 12 New Hampshire Reds and the 25 assorted bantam special.

My order shipped when they said it would, and arrived 2 days later! The BAs and the NHRs were fine and all there with no extras. The 25 bantam special had 1 extra added, but the 2 sultans did not survive the trip. :-( They would have credited my account, but I really only lost 1 that I paid for and since they were only 99 cents each, I did not even bother them.

6 weeks later all the birds are healthy and happy. I have another order coming this week - the surprise special - 25 full size pullets for only $1.40 each.

Ideal offers great prices and I could not be happier with their service and quality birds. Years ago as a kid I won Grand Champion at our state fair 2 years in a row with some of their birds.
Negative Tansar
Black River Falls, WI
September 22, 2010
Placed an order in July for variety of breeds to be delivered week of Sept. 22. Breeds could not be guaranteed at that time but order was still placed. I e-mailed on Sept 14 to find out exactly what breeds were being shipped and was told there was no order. I then placed a call to Ideal Poultry. Sure enough, confirmed that my order did not exist. I reluctantly placed another order to be delivered the week of Sept 29(a week later than the original order). Sept. 21, I receive an e-mail stating my order shipped. Confused, I called them back and they tell me everything is fine and my order will not ship until the 29th. I questioned the e-mail I had received and they tell me without a doubt there is no other order in my name. A few hours later I get an e-mail (not even courtesy of a call) that my original order had been found and did indeed ship. I was not expecting a shipment until next week and was forced to cancel out of town plans for the rest of the week. The only compensation they will offer is a $7 discount on the order. They tell me they cancelled the order that was supposed to arrive next week...I sure hope so, but will not be surprised if another box of chicks show up. Very disappointed in their customer service.
Positive FamilyFarm
Newberg, OR
September 17, 2010
I ordered 16 chicks from ideal poultry of mixed breeds. 8 Sultans, 4 silkies, 3 amerucanas and 1 mallard. I got 9 sultans and 2 amerucanas which could have been a problem for some people but we didn't mind too much. I was a little annoyed that I was asked to choose a shipping date and after payment they said I would recieve the chicken 2 weeks after that date but with the mixed breeds I could understand. The chickens arrived the day Ideal Poultry said they would arrive and most importantly they arrived in perfect health! No males were added to the box to keep them warm and not one little chick died............So to me that deserves a very positive review.
Positive Harbison
Mercedes, TX
September 10, 2010
Hi all - I have been buying and raising chicks for over 50 years, after discovering Idea Poultry about a year ago I do not have plans of buying chick's any where but from them. I've placed 3- orders with them this year totaling 70 birds, with 100% of them beening the liveliest, healthiest little birds you could hope for. There real down to earth my kind of people.I sell for a four store John Deere dealership. I've told our 14 man sells staff that I think Idea puts as much effort into sell a batch of 25 chicks as we do sometimes in selling a $200,000.00 Tractor. I plan on buying more birds as I go along and I do know where I will get them
Positive JDS2000
Chesterfield, VA
August 25, 2010
I recently decided to come back to this website and add a positive comment about Ideal Poultry. I was somewhat skeptical of Idealís ability to deliver healthy, thriving chicks, after reading some of the negative comments on this thread. So I thought I would tell of my experience so maybe a few additional people will give them a chance.

I ordered 15 Buff Orpington pullets about three weeks ago. I promptly (about 2 hours later) received an email from one of their sales associates stating my chicks would be shipped out the following Wednesday. On Tuesday afternoon, I received an email they had been shipped. On Thursday morning, I received a phone call from the local post office that they had arrived. We immediately drove over and picked them up. To my pleasant surprise, there were exactly 15 baby chicks in a small box, all very active. We took them home and put them in their small chick enclosure with some Dumorís chick starter feed, a heat lamp and lukewarm sugar water. Boy, were they thirsty and hungry!! We have had them for a little over a week and so far so good. All chicks are very healthy and active.

A few small, humble pieces of advice when ordering online:

1. Only place small chick orders in the summertime. They need to be warm and have a much better chance of surviving the trip.
2. You might want to stick with the more common breeds when ordering online. I have noticed the exotic ones tend to have more problems when shipped via mail.
3. Call your post office beforehand and alert them. They will appreciate it and are more likely to call and alert you that they have arrived.
4. Have their pen set up before they arrive Ė you want to make food and water available to them as soon as you can.

This all might seem like common sense, but I have learned a well-laid plan almost always yields the best results. Enjoy those chickens!!
Positive croberts_tx
San Augustine, TX
July 26, 2010
Attempted to order, on a week-end, 20 RIR pullets online for the June 23rd hatch. The website would not take my order... sent an e-mail. Received an e-mail and two phone calls on Monday. Ordered the 20 pullets over the telephone; received 21 of them early on June 24th. These were the liveliest, healthiest, easiest to brood chicks that I had ever encountered. Five weeks into their raising and all remain vibrant, healthy, and very active. I was especially concerned about the East Texas heat and humidity; however, they have handle it well. Simply put, I'm impressed.
Positive txdixiechick
Alvarado, TX
July 1, 2010
We have ordered probably over 200 chicks from Ideal. Out of that 200, maybe 5 have died. Only 1 out of the 5 died in transit. Of the remaining 4, Ideal replaced all in the next shipment. They have been prompt, courteous and very professional. I would not hesitate to order from them and recommend them to all.
Neutral malachi_e_deus
Amsterdam, NY
June 11, 2010
I am trying to establish flocks of Heritage turkeys:Narragansetts, Midget Whites and Blacks. I had birds from Welp. I asked Ideal if their birds were related to Welp's stock. "No" they said. But I see that both Welp and Ideal ship from the hometown of Privet. So it seems that they are just resellers of Privett birds. Now I have 100 related birds. Thank goodness I had gotten some from Porter's too.
Positive vtsarahb
Bradford, VT (Zone 4a)
May 20, 2010
Posted on April 16, 2009, updated May 20, 2010
My chicks & ducks just came in at 6 this morning- made it here (VT) from Texas in less than 24 hours! I'm happy to say that every bird in the box survived the trip and they're all doing well so far- very active happy little babies! One of the breeds I ordered was somehow out of stock (even though I ordered in January, they notified me 2 weeks ago that they did not have this breed... I thought ordering should be first-come, first-served) and I think I may have gotten an extra barred rock instead of a GLW... but oh well, my order was small and consisted of a lot of different breeds so I can understand if it got a little mixed up. Overall, I'm happy!
On May 5th, 2009, vtsarahb added the following:

Update: all the breeds that they did send me were correct. One of my barred rocks ended up being a rooster, but that is 1 out of 16 (which is within the 90% sexing accuracy). I'm happy about this actually, because I wanted a roo. All of my chicks & ducks are doing great! I will be ordering from Ideal again in the future.
On May 20th, 2010, vtsarahb added the following:

Ordered more chicks/ducks/guineas from Ideal this year- all arrived safe and sound, and I got exactly what I ordered. The ones I got last year have all matured into beautiful birds. Very happy with Ideal!
Positive brandie21
Tucson, AZ (Zone 8a)
April 20, 2010
Posted on May 4, 2009, updated April 20, 2010
I recently placed an order to be shipped to a family member in another state. Since this is the first time I have ever ordered poultry I had no idea what I was doing, so I emailed Ideal and they were very helpful. I received an order stating that my order would ship on Wednesday and would get there within 2 days and sure enough they were there on Thursday. They 4 turkeys, 2 ducks and 11 roosters were in good help and chirping away when they arrived. My family member was so impressed that he plans to purchase all poultry from Ideal from now on.
On April 20th, 2010, brandie21 added the following:

We just placed our second order with Ideal for some hens for here in Arizona. They all arrived safe and sound and are now thriving. They were packed with males to keep them warm so we have a few little males running around too. I was not surprised as some people seem to be about the males packed for shipping as it is written all over their website and catalog. I think people should pay a little more attention and then they wouldn't be upset.
Neutral banseabhag
Sutton, AK
April 19, 2010
Several problems with this outfit and one positive. I made an order in January, which I subsequently canceled for a number of reasons. Received an email confirming the cancellation.
5 days ago I get an email that my chicks (?) are in the mail. Consternation all around. I now don't have space for these chicks, along with other complications. I email Ideal, and they agree that they made an error and did not put the cancellation notice in the system. I am advised very courteously, that I will not be charged. That's nice, but what do I do with the chicks? It is suggested I leave them with USPS and tell them they may sell the chicks to whomever they like (I don't think the P.O. can legally do this) or take them to a zoo or wildlife center (?). I dream about dead chicks for 2 nights.
3 days later chicks arrive to our tiny (unheated) P.O. (one reason I canceled) and are left in the receiving room. The Postmaster calls as soon as he arrives at 9 that chicks are there cheeping.
Ideal has placed, in addition to the 12 chicks I originally ordered, 10 male chicks of an unknown breed to keep the others warm.
The plus side of this, is that although I am in Alaska, all 22 chicks are alive when I get them home, though 5 expire subsequently, from stress I believe. So that's impressive anyway. I guess the missed cancellation is an honest mistake, but it is going to be tough to place 10 male chicks that were unexpected.
I see the idea behind this, but I doubt I will be ordering chicks again.
Positive booboo59
Wellington, AL
April 7, 2010
Lost a few chicks out of my order shortly after delivery. I contacted Ideal and they were great. My replacement shipment is being shipped out just a few days after my contact with them. They have been very professional and polite. I intead to be a repeat customer next year!
Neutral gtmerkley
Saint Anthony, IN
March 23, 2010
Ordered 30 chicks all 30 arrived dead. E-Mailed them they sent out replacements 26 arrived dead.they sent replacement chicks again 19 dead. They sent replacements plus 4 males for warmth, extra hay mat and some of there green starter on bottom the 4 males were all that survived.They sent replacements 8 survived plus the 5 males they sent for warmth. I stopped after that I could not stand any more dead chicks. They tried to get them here and there good looking birds and sent replacements without any problem it is just the shipping part, maybe going from warm to cold
Positive Gnomeylox
Houston, AR
March 19, 2010
I ordered several chicks late in the year and was very happy with their quality. They were out of Blue Cochin pullets on ship day but were nice enough to call and make sure I still wanted the Blue Cochin cockerel. All chicks arrived healthy and have grown up to be beautiful birds. I especially love their Buff Orpington strain...the hens are a bright, vivid gold unlike so many other hatchery strains I've seen where the hens fade to a light color as the mature. Overall, a great place to order chicks!
Positive AnnieBBB
(Zone 5b)
March 13, 2010
Ordered 38 Silkies, 19 black, 19 buff. Ordering by phone was easy, staff was helpful and friendly. Shipping was fast, one day. I had notified my post office about the order, they called me at 6:30 AM to let me know they had arrived and I picked them up right away. Only one chick was DOA. Ideal sent two extra Silkies with the order. Easy transaction, very healthy chicks, all eating, drinking and peeping! Great experience, would order from them again!
Annie
Positive rimshoes
Caulfield, MO
January 10, 2010
Ordered 5 French Guinea Fowl. Ideal processed the order professionally and accurately.

Recieved the Birds at my RURAL Post Office the very next day. I was Thrilled with the birds and to date they are running my property with no problems.

They are Great birds and i will order again this spring 5 more.

Rim
Positive PR2NV
Silverpeak, NV
September 5, 2009
Ordered 22, day old chicks, Black sex-link and Black Australorps, what a great bunch of healthy chicks! The folks I've dealt w/ @ Ideal have all been very friendly and helpful. We did lose 1 chick, not to bad really for our 1st time raising chicks. The other 21 are growing and growing. The Australorps are so friendly and run to see you and like attention and to be touched and are very smart for baby chicks. The price with Ideal was the main reason i ordered from them. I will order from Ideal again in the future when we need more replacements for our flock.
Positive Muscovychef
Milan, NM
August 17, 2009
I have ordered from them for the last 3 years. Customer service has always been great . I havd had some losses in mallard ducks only. No they dont put many or no extras , Those days are gone . Most hatcheries dont send any or very few and they are higher priced than ideal. I have 100 asst hatchery choice right now. Plus my mallards. I called customer service and got polite reasonable service.Many of the breeds ive bought in the past were better than breeders marans laid better darker eggs on egg chart than show stock..The barbanters are a joke but are a recreated breed. It pays to do some research on what your buying. I have no illness ever from ideal. and right now i have 100 very diffrent birds .all alive I did get 3 extra in mallards no but I dont think we should expect extra .I get what I pay for and often better .