The scoop on 'Sunset Valley Orchids'

Sunset Valley Orchids

1255 Navel Place
Vista, California 92083 (United States)

Comments:

Neutral LPasteur
Huntington Beach, CA
August 23, 2012
I found Sunset Valley Orchids at a Home & Garden Show at South Coast Plaza in Santa Ana, CA. I was looking all over the show for Cypripedium, Lady Slipper Orchids. Sunset Valley Orchids turned out to have exactly the plant that I wanted - One that was tall and had a combination of flowers that were blooming and buds that had yet to open up.

There were two people working the booth at the time. The gentleman that helped me, a slender fellow, was very animated and helpful. He was hell-bent on selling one of his orchids to me and went out of his way to my near discomfort to do so. I eventually purchased from him though.

Another gentleman that worked there was demeaning and made me feel completely insignificant as I perused his racks of plants. He was very very heavy set and drinking what looked to be a large mug of coffee. It didn't matter how long I lingered around his station because he never ever made any motion or effort to help me. We made eye contact a few times, but the customary, "Can I help you?" was never even uttered. It was as if he could care less that I would buy something from him or perhaps it was the way that I was dressed or the fact that I looked young, he figured I didn't have any money. He helped others that walked by and didn't spend nearly as much time looking at his plants but he chose not to help me. I don't know what his problem was but I near returned the plant I just bought from his company because I was put off my his rudeness and poor business etiquette.

Although my mom really enjoyed her early Mother's Day gift, if I ever see Sun Valley Orchids at a home & garden show again, I'll be very vigilant to see who is working as that will ultimately determine if I purchase. I know customers can be difficult or rambunctious, but if you are polite, there is not reason why you should be treated like garbage.
Positive fierynature
Colton, CA (Zone 9b)
May 29, 2008
I have purchased plants from Fred Clarke at orchid shows in the past and have been very happy with the quality and customer service. He has spoken at my local orchid society and provided an amazing plant table for the raffle.

I am on his mailing list and occasionally get emails announcing new plants offerings. I got one of those emails last Saturday evening and found several plants that I just couldn't live with out. I went to Sunset Valley Orchids website and placed an order which generated an automated confirmation email. The next day I got a personal email from Fred letting me know when the plants would arrive. Well, the plants came a day early (yesterday!) and they were beautiful! Packaged securely. All the plants were healthy, firmly established in their pots and had strong new growths. I was very impressed.

Order with confidence, you won't be disappointed.

Positive pelicanhead
Carlsbad, CA (Zone 11)
April 1, 2008
Sunsey Valley and Fred Clark are the best. I am a new orchid enthusiast. Fred took the time to help me select a couple of orchids to add to my growing collection. Everything looked so healthy. I will definitely be going back.
Positive lothianjavert
North East, MD (Zone 6b)
October 18, 2007
I just received my first order from Fred at Sunset Valley Orchids and couldn't be happier! The catasetums are gorgeous, plump, well grown seedlings with roots bursting out of their pots. I don't think it will be long before they bloom, they are so big! I also ordered a few small cattleya seedlings. I was surprised to see that two of them were even in sheath! I will definitely order from SVO again!

Also, if you are specifically looking for catasetiinae, SVO is the place to go. Fred has an amazing breeding program and many unique and fascinating hybrids!
Positive Slipperhd
July 17, 2005
I have placed several orders from Fred Clark at Sunset Valley Orchids in Vista, CA. All orders received when promised, packaged beautifully, and with the highest quality. I particularly enjoy the cycnoches seedlings that I have purchased. I have bloomed each one of them within one year of purchase and most in a 2 3/4" pot of sphag!

Fred breeds all of his own plants and has an incredible tally of personal awards including a number of FCCs!

He is the best!