The scoop on 'Zone 9 Tropicals (Zone9Tropicals.com)'

Zone 9 Tropicals (Zone9Tropicals.com)

Zone 9 Tropicals (Zone9Tropicals.com) has 270 products listed in PlantScout.

Houston, Texas 77008
(United States)

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive bj4dave
Spring, TX
April 6, 2014
This site is a marvel....So many unusual and hard to find plants,,, and the owner is a marvel too... So helpful and nice.... When my plants arrived I was awe struck at the packaging.... it was just unbelievable.... The plants were much larger than I expected and healthy and beautiful... I have already sent my second order and it will certainly not be the last....already getting the next one together...You cannot go wrong with this wonderful nursery... bjmiller
Positive jimmypflorida
Brooksville, FL
March 25, 2014
I recently ordered several plants from this vender. I could not be happier.
The size, quality of plants and particularly the meticulous packing to ensure safe delivery of these plants was beyond my expectations. I have had hot and cold experiences from online plant purchases ranging from folks basically stealing my money (took money, never delivered plants-yes, you Brugsmansia vender in Florida) all the way to this experience.
I guess you can tell how happy I am, and rest assured, your company is at the top of my list for future purchases. I am also sending a copy of this to friends who also love plants.
Positive Thagirion
Tampa, FL
January 26, 2014
I ordered some Aristolochia from the company for the first time a few weeks ago. I paid through paypal on the website. I got an email not long ago saying one of the plants was not in stock and if I wanted to get a refund or an exchange plant. I thought this was very nice of them to bring it up and also give me a choice. So I chose a different plant and was refunded the difference and the shipping. I then got an email saying because of the cold weather the plants would be delayed. That's fine. I could wait another week.

I got a giant box the other day. I didn't know what it was until I saw it was from Zone 9 Tropicals. I was impressed with how big these plants were. They came in pots with soil and were very well packaged with foam and tape. I was expecting tiny bare root cuttings like most places. So that was a very pleasant surprise. I also really like the great communication they give. I think communication is very important be it to inform the customer of something good or bad and if it's bad to work to resolve it like it was here. I have dealt with bad plant companies where there was no communication. This is very good. I am please and do recommend them. I will definitely order again in the future from here.
Positive trackinsand
mid central, FL (Zone 9a)
November 13, 2013
Posted on April 22, 2011, updated November 13, 2013
my first experience with this company and i'm entirely pleased. good communication, fabulous packing (very smart) and most important-healthy plants.
i ordered two Ruttya fruticosa and will be back! thanks so much for a pleasant transaction.
On November 13th, 2013, trackinsand added the following:

just ordered a small Brug. it's hard to find and Z9T had it. yay!
i love this place and i'll be back.
thank you again!
Positive realityfaery
Delano, CA (Zone 9b)
October 23, 2013
Great company! Ordered a Blue Butterfly Bush from them, it came quickly and in fantastic shape. Will definitely order from them again.
Positive mchun
Arlington, VA
September 19, 2013
The Double Rangoon Creeper vine arrived in the mail in perfect condition. The vine is beautiful and very healthy. Thanks Wayne!
Negative steamchili35
Colorado Springs, CO
August 10, 2013
Posted on August 10, 2013, updated August 10, 2013
I am deeply displeased with this company. I had bought a jasminum sambac maid of Orleans from a seperate plant company before for a friend. I liked the plant so much that I decided to buy one of my own. I choose zone9tropicals because they were a closer seller of jasminum sambac maid of Orleans than the last company I ordered from. Boy was I disappointed with the plant when I received. It was small. It was not the full lush green plant I was lead to believe I was receiving. It was a sad looking stick with a few leaves and flowers in the middle of a large 1 quart planter. I called costumer service to see if I could receive a more healthy specimen. They told me they didn't have a replacement to send me. They also tried getting me to send the plant back to them and they would cover return shipping and give me a full refund. After explaining to them that it was highly unlikely that the plant would survive the return trip with how many signs of stress it was showing they changed there minds and decided to just refund me instead. I'm not sure what this company was thinking by wanting me to put an already stressed plant back into transit. Based off this negative experience with them I will probably never order from them again. I will do my best to nurse this jasmine to its full potential, but it will be an uphill battle. I'm going to have to pull out the big guns for this plant.But with a llittle micro-riza. Some garden tone organic fertilizer, a spike of organic bloom booster. A lot of time under a full spectrum 105 watt grow light and sone tender loving care. It can become a beautiful plant.
On August 10th, 2013, steamchili35 added the following:

Ok so I just got burned by this company. They are now telling Me that the message sent to saying I could keep the plant was sent to me in error. Here are both the emails telling me that I could and couldn't keep the plant and receive a refund I replaced any place with my name with my user name in these emails

Hello steamchili35

The email below was sent in error. You will need to return the plant in order to receive a full refund. Return address is 1015 Arlington St. Houston TX 77008. The plant will need to be shipped on a Monday in order to ensure that it will arrives by Friday at the latest so it does not sit over the weekend and die in transit as that would be bad. Please pack the plant in the same manner as received so the soil and pot do not dislodge during transit. Please let me know if you have any questions about packaging.

Best regards,
Wayne
Zone 9 Tropicals

Steamchili35,
I have reconsidered the return of the plant. we will issue a full refund and you do not need to return the plant.
Best regards,
Wayne
Zone 9 Tropicals

The email above was sent to me yesterday. The email above the email of this comment I recieved today. You be the judge. Is this email an error or a company going back on there word. I don't know about you guys, but I don't think this is a very professional. One for my sake, but also for the stressed plants sake. I am keeping the plant. I refuse to send it to its death by stressing it out further by sending it into transit again. To all DG user's. Spare yourself the trouble of this company and don't get burned like I did.

Positive heather211
St Petersburg, FL
July 27, 2013
I have purchased plants with Zone 9 in the past and been very pleased and recently received 4 more plants and, again, was delighted. Packaging was outstanding... healthy plants arrived hydrated, fresh, excellent condition, no obvious shock -- just as I expected from this company. I highly recommend. Thank you.
Positive SEgan
Altoona, FL
July 16, 2013
Ditto on the review from Hunters Creek, the plants I ordered Clerodendrum Speciosum Delectum and a Pink Coral Vine couldn't have come any healthier and HUGE plants for the money...packaged excellently and they suffered no transplant shock and in just a short few days they had new growth!!! ZONE 9 TROPICALS and Florida Hill Nursery are my first choices for healthy well packaged plants at GOOD PRICES! These plants arrived HAPPY and LOVE living here!
Positive DaveH
San Francisco, CA (Zone 10a)
May 19, 2013
I ordered a Thunbergia grandiflora vine from Zone 9. It arrived very well packed and in good condition. The price was reasonable ($15 for a 1 gal size), although the UPS charge roughly doubled the total, which was to be expected.
Positive Blackbelt_Lizzy
La Grange Park, IL
May 16, 2013
This is the second or maybe the third time that I have ordered from Zone 9 Tropicals. The plants that they send are extremely large and healthy. They always arrive in great shape because they are packed so well. I still have several that I purchased a few years ago that I bring in during the winter. These are now in 24" - 26" pots because of their size. A super source for tropical plants!!
Positive nikkos
Hunters Creek, FL
April 29, 2013
If you are here and wondering if you should place an order with this company, I say take the leap my friend because you will get more than your money's worth with Zone 9 Tropicals. I am not one to usually leave reviews negative or positive but in this case I feel leaving a review for this company is a must.

I placed my first order with zone 9 tropicals this month (April 2013), and what a pleasure it was to do business with this company. The words pleasure and mail order plants rarely go hand in hand, but in this case I can only reiterate what many others have stated before me, the plants were of an exceptional size, vigor, and robustness.

Not only did Wayne and Robert have the plants I wanted but one of them (Cananga Odorata) was the cheapest that I could find. I don't know if I add anything further to what others have stated about the exceptional packing save to say that despite UPS having stomped on the package so hard and so many times that they left shoe-prints in several places(the Cananga was the hardest hit but it will bounce back minus a few leaves and some bruises), the plants still manged to survive despite the trampling, which I can only attribute to the excellent packaging.

I was so pleasantly surprised that I emailed them a list of other plants I am looking for, to find out if they may carry them or have a way of obtaining them in the future as I would gladly spend the money with this company, and Wayne graciously answered my emails, which was another pleasant surprise as I am used getting no answers or answers that have nothing to do with what I asked. I would not only recommend this business to other plant lovers, I would gladly spend my money with them again in the future as it turned out to be more worth every cent I spent.
Positive eucharis05
Yonkers, NY
April 12, 2013
I just received my plants, Ochna Serrulata and Michelia Figo. I was surprised by the size, much larger than the usual mail order plants. The plants were well grown, lots of roots and packed excellent. I would order from them again. They also answer e-mails promptly.
Positive kenburk101
Old Jefferson, LA
October 23, 2012
I had seen a Rangoon Creeper at a friend's home and had to have one, but could not find one locally. I ordered one from Zone 9 Tropicals. It was so beautiful when we got it, that I ordered three more. They were equally spectacular and are doing extremely well in our yard.
Positive SacramentoGrow
Sacramento, CA
October 14, 2012
The Erythrina plant I ordered is well-grown, healthy and is larger than I expected, which is great. I am very satisfied with this purchase and plan to make more either this year or next.
Positive Eclipse
Norwalk, IA (Zone 5b)
September 18, 2012
I expected the tree I ordered to be like other suppliers, small and weak.Boy was I surprised!Tall, fully leafed out and well branched.Great packing and fast delivery, made me happy!

No doubts here. :-)

Kyle
Positive jackthompson
Buffalo, NY (Zone 5b)
June 11, 2012
Just received 2 aristolochias shipped from Texas to Buffalo! The packaging was excellent and the plants arrived in excellent condition. Both were excellent plants of good size with good foliage!
Positive Scarlett2
Shreveport, LA
April 25, 2012
This absolutely must be one of the best sources for tropical plants in the United States. Very quick shipping with the best packing and shipping in the industry.....not a single leaf came in damaged. If you love plants, you owe it to yourself to try this company!
Positive morningloree
Heathrow, FL
April 15, 2012
I have to add my accolades. A standing ovation for plant size, quality and shipping. I have received my first order of Clusea Rosea, Red Orchid Bush, and Clerodendrum Quadriculare, all plants have been planted and are doing well. Recently placed my second order and looking forward to the new garden additions.
Positive Deelove247
North Haven, NY
March 26, 2012
I recently purchased a few tropicals and hard to find plants in my area and I was amazed at the quality of the packing and the health of the plants. They are just absolutely beautiful. I am very very happy with my purchase and highly recommend. Thank you again for such wonderful plants.

Diana
Positive bev27777
Early, TX
July 20, 2011
Although the plants were very healthy and well packed one of my plants had been broken off during shipping. I contacted the company and they advised to go ahead and plant the injured plant and they sent me a replacement. (both are growing well) I will be ordering from Zone 9 Tropicals again.
Positive Seaecho
Phelan, CA (Zone 8b)
June 12, 2011
I ordered an Aristolochia fimbriata and a Passiflora citrina and was very impressed! The plants were bigger than I expected, no wilt at all, and appeared so fresh you never would have known they'd been in a box for 3 days. Wonderful packaging too. Absolutely no soil spillage, and was not difficult to unwrap the plants, as it is with many other companies. Now I wish I'd ordered more! I have recommended Zone 9 Tropicals to all my plant loving friends.

Randi
Positive egardens
Hutto, TX
May 11, 2011
Ordered a single shrub. Shrub was bigger and better than I was expecting. Packing was great. Would order from the company again.
Positive AGCcutter
Dallas, TX (Zone 8a)
March 24, 2011
I am a retired nurseryman and have seen no one do a better job than Zone 9 Tropicals. They offer a broad selection of rare hard to find tropicals. I ordered Australian Tree Ferns in one gal. pots and received large healthy plants with no breakage or wilt (a real accomplishment when shipping large ferns). Their packaging is the best I have seen, with thick foam 'collars' taped on to firmly keep the soil in place. Bamboo stakes keep the plants from shifting regardless of box position, and in the case of my ferns the pot was tightly plastic wrapped with a moist pad across the bottom. The pots were well watered before shipping - Tree Ferns wilt easily - these guys are professional and know their business. I will definitely be ordering from them again.
Positive rzoo2u
Pompano Beach, FL
March 4, 2011
Ordered twice and plants are always packed great. Plants are consistently larger and in better health than other companies. His 1G plants are larger than other's 3G plants. Pricing is very competitive. Wayne is very helpful and knowledgeable. I highly suggest this nursery.
Positive camille4
Fulton, TX
November 3, 2010
Any and Everything I had to say about this company has been said many times over! Wayne is fabulous in his help in answering questions, plants are of great quality, shipping prices are very reasonable and the careful, meticulous packing has to be seen to be believed. Please take a look at Zone 9 Tropicals to see if they have a plant you might be interested in. I give them 10 - 10stars. Thanks again Wayne and staff.
Positive Kevvboy
Key West, FL
May 11, 2010
Zone 9 Tropicals is the best live-plant shipper I've found on the internet. First, the quality of the plants is better than what you'd find in your local nursery. Second, the plants are packed with infinite care so that they arrive fresh and healthy and ready to thrive. I bought Glowvine, Jade vine, Madagascar jasmine, Night blooming cereus, Plumbago, and more ... each of the vines is growing like crazy without a single problem. Also - they're quick to ship. I will order from Zone 9 whenever I need a mail-order tropical.
Positive wabum
Reydon, OK
April 22, 2010
I am getting cranky and grumpy as I get older but I have definitely no complaint about this company! The two jade vines I recieved were great size and was very reasonable compared to other online places I have checked for these vines. Only small complaint I may have (and it definitely not one) is that the roots had burst thru the plastic pot. Rather have my plants arrive that way rather than chopped up or under developed roots that I have seen before. I highly recommend this fantastic place.
Positive bablington
Dallas, TX
April 21, 2010
Posted on September 24, 2009, updated April 21, 2010
Ordered 4 passion vine plants as a trial first time order. They came overnight (Houston to Dallas) via UPS and arrived in perfect condition despite my UPS guy carrying them in upside down oblivious to the "this side up" stamps. Who knows what they go through in transit. Packaging is the best I have seen. Buy with confidence. The plants are large, healthy and ready to go to ground.
On April 21st, 2010, bablington added the following:

Update 4/21/2010. Just received 2nd shipment from Zone9. Ordered 6 passion vines. They came as well packed as the 1st shipment, healthy, and sustantial growth on 1 quart size plants. These folks know what they are doing and obviously care about the products they are selling and making sure that customers receive what they order. Thanks Wayne and Bob for a terrific internet garden purchase.
Positive Flowersmonkey
Stone Mountain, GA
April 17, 2010
Zone9tropicals is wonderful.

I ordered two times from Zone 9 for several plants and I received them in perfect condition. The packings of the plants for shipping are outstanding; all the plants arrived healthy and in perfect shape. The plants are good and sizeable.
I am very impressed with the company and I recommend this company to anyone who wants to buy plants over the internet.

Thanks, Wayne.

From Stone Mountain, Georgia

Positive Sixx
Apple Valley, CA
March 29, 2010
Wayne's Tropicals are very well taken care of. The Passion flower arrived in great shape from half way across the country looking very healthy, and packaged extremely well. Even UPS couldn't damage this package. The plant has done very well, and is thriving. I look forward to doing a lot more orders from Zone9.
Positive jtesh
Atlantic Beach, FL
July 23, 2009
my oder came and all plants were in great condition and
larger then i expected. will order again.
Positive litig8tr
Hattiesburg, MS
July 10, 2009
After multiple purchases from Wayside Gardens (Park's) that arrived DOA, I finally found Zone 9 Tropicals as a source for Passion flowers.

My order arrived promptly and the plants were in excellent shape, better than I expected! They have all trived!

I took the time to write this company to tell them how pleased I was with their service and their products. I recommend them highly.
Positive pamalicious
Sacramento, CA
June 30, 2009
i have purchased 2 plants from wayne and have been blown away by how GREAT they looked when they arrived.i'm in california,and the plants took a long trip to get here.great company and they also respond to their emails quickly.
Positive Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK (Zone 3b)
June 5, 2009
Thank you so very much Wayne for sending beautiful and large plants to Wichita, Kansas for me. I received an email, with photographs, showing that they were received in perfect shape.

Sooner or later they will make their way up to Saskatchewan. :D
Positive Emma75
DeLand, FL (Zone 9b)
June 4, 2009
I am stunned at how fabulous my newly arrived shrubs look, and how large they are! I had ordered a Michelia figo from another company last year, for slightly more money, and it didn't survive our cold winter due to its small size (that one came in a 4" pot, and was essentially three leaves on a twig). I placed a rather small order with Zone 9 because this was my first time using them; I also found the lack of photos on the website made it difficult to shop, but that won't stop me in the future now that I see how fantastic their products are! Everything was very well packaged, with obvious attention to detail. I highly recommend this company, and will be shopping with them again!
On June 6th, 2009, Emma75 added the following:

To find a company in our current economy who takes the term "customer service" to heart so well is a rare find! I sent an email to Zone 9 because I received my plants, and have not yet been charged for them; I also received three M. figos instead of two. Wayne replied to me with this: "We usually charge your card for plants a few day after sending them, so you should see a charge shortly. I sent three plants (you will be charged for only two) instead of two since one was rather small."
Positive bigmikan
Columbus, OH (Zone 6a)
May 27, 2009
I recently received 3 plants from Zone 9, & was thoroughly impressed. Not only were the plants healthy & large for their rarity--2 Telosoma cordatas and a Crossandra "Green Ice"--but the packing was marvelous. The soil in the pots had been secured with thick foam & taped into place, & a sturdy length of bamboo stabilized each pot in its box & prevented it from shifting. No loose soil was in the box at all. I set out the plants & they continued growing & thriving without missing a beat. I've received the same plants from other sources that were little more than rooted cuttings for almost double the price. It's obvious that a good deal of care went into both the growing of the plants & the shipping. I would recommend this company without hesitation to anyone. Thank you, Wayne.
Positive hedy
Ocala, FL
May 17, 2009
Today (May 16, 2009) I have visited Zone9 Tropicals on their 'Open Garden Day'. They have a very impressive collection of rare and very rare tropical plants. Their plants are healthy, strong, free of weeds and disease. The nursery is unbelievably clean.
They offer useful information about their plants. The prices are very good for such rare and nice size plants.
Overall experience: exceptionally good.
I made some pictures I wanted to share with the visitors of Dave's Garden, but I don't know how to insert them here.
Positive Acacius48
Fort Collins, CO
May 14, 2009
I just received my second order from Zone9tropicals and am extremely impressed by their quality of plants from both orders! They send big healthy beautiful plants. I would recommend them to everyone! Thanks Zone9tropicals for providing such wonderful plants at a superior quality! I will be back for more!

Sincerely,
Vanessa
Aka
Acacius48
Positive Chantell
Middle of, VA (Zone 7a)
May 12, 2009
Forever in search of more fragrant plants to add to my collection - a DG friend told me about Zone 9. What fun going through the site!! Wayne was quick to respond to emails - sadly I waited too long in the season to order but what a pleasant surprise when they arrived this spring. LARGE healthy plants packed individually in their own boxes with care. Will definitely be ordering from Wayne again!!