The scoop on 'Bamboo Sourcery'

Bamboo Sourcery

666 Wagnon Road
Sebastopol, California 95472 (United States)

Phone: 707-823-5866
Fax: 707-829-8106

Company Comment, posted on March 7, 2003:
We are bamboo specialists, offering over 300 varieties of bamboo plants at our 8 acre nursery and farm in northern California. Our plants range from giant timbers to dwarf ornamentals, runners and clumpers, tropical to temperate, the well-known to the rare and unusual. Plants may be obtained by visiting our nursery and gardens, located an hour's drive north of San Francisco (by appointment), or by mail-ordering through our informative website. We ship throughout the U.S. We invite you to peruse our website for a wealth of information about bamboo, including many photos.

Comments:

Positive Grow4fun
Victoria, IL
January 8, 2010
I ordered the Ph. aureosulcata 'Spectabilis' Bamboo it arrived 2 day air mail here in Illinois on the 6th of January in very good shape and was packaged very well. Plant cost just $30 dollars and was about 3 feet tall. Which I thought was a good price for the bamboo because most stores online sell this bamboo starting at $60 plus shipping. It now under my small grow lamp waiting to go outside this spring with my other bamboo. I am very happy with my order and will order from them again.
Negative musamusa1975
San Francisco, CA
October 27, 2009
Went to the nursery to pick up some bamboo. The nursery is very large and the stock is spread out. Because it would be virtually impossible to find anything on your own, they require appointments so that you can be shown around.
On the positive side, the plants are very impressive. They have a diverse selection of healthy bamboo that cover a large area.
On the negative side, the plants are very expensive, and the customer service is not very good. We felt very rushed by our guide, who didn't really seem interested in helping us. And once we paid for the plants it was very hard to find someone to help get them packaged up to put in the car.
It may sound like we are nit-picking, but for the price you are paying, the customer service could be a lot better--especially when there are plenty of other nurseries near by to choose from.
Positive musaboru
Ontario, CA
May 31, 2009
Last fall, I placed an order for what most people want, you guessed it, a Phyllostachys nigra. Well packed and prompt shipping. As of spring, the 1 gallon (which was planted into a 5 gallon pot) has since shot up new culms, although they are still tiny culms, the growth is lush. My advice is to order a bigger size plant since its looking like it could take several years for a 1 gallon bamboo to produce nice size culms.
Positive dannygates58
Jefferson, NH
February 28, 2008
I placed an order with them and recieved my plants within 1 week. The plants themselves were really beautiful and much larger than I expected. Packing was perfect. After doing research I found their prices to be very competitive,
As a result I placed a second order the day I recieved the frst. I recommend them 100%
On March 13th, 2008, dannygates58 added the following:

I received my second order from Bamboo Sourcery and again am just thrilled. I purchased a 5 gallon Black Bamboo. The plant is absolutly beautiful and healthy and arrived almost 5 feet tall. Many populat catalogs charge 99.00-129.00 for this plant in a 1 gallon size. This plant was only 65.00 for a 5 gallon size. They truly put those other catalogs to shame.
In addition I had ordered a 1 gallon Painted Bamboo. Debra from customer service called me and explained that they had had cold weather and the bamboo had not bounced back yet and best not to ship at this point. The personal touch and excellent quality has made me a very dedicated customer
Positive bostonbound2
Boxford, MA
May 4, 2007
Good sized plants in gallon pots. Arrived looking healthy. Feel this was a good value.
Positive rosc2112
Pittston, PA (Zone 5b)
March 22, 2005
Ordered 1gal P. nigra for $20 plus $15 shipping. A bit pricey, but getting ahold of this hard-to-find variety make it worth the extra price to me.

Plants were shipped on Mon. (as per Bamboo Sourcery's stated policy), arrived on Tues (within the Sacramento, CA area.) Received a very well packed and protected potted plant with lots of new shoots and plenty of leaves.

Very happy to obtain this excellent specimen and will definitely recommend Bamboo Sourcery, for both the incredible selection of bamboo varieties they have available (and availability is the keyword here! Lots of places advertise having certain varieties, but then never have them in stock!) and for the fast and careful shipping of my order.

No doubt will shop here first when looking for more bamboo varieties in the future :)

Negative Iris_Place
Saint Charles, MO
April 23, 2004
Bought a arrow bamboo, arrived when they said, huge healthy plant for the money, very happy, will buy again this year
On October 8th, 2004, Iris_Place changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

Bought a second order because of the good experience with the first, recieved a twig about 5 inches tall for $25 plus $15 dollars shipping. E-mailed the company to tell them that I felt jipped and they left a message on my phone that they only had a small amount of that bamboo left this season, and that they normally don't ship until they get your permission to send a small plant, must have been a mistake they said and will work with me to resolve. Well I called once and left message and sent to more E-mails with no response from them. Will not buy again. The twig did live and is about 8 inches tall and grew some leaves after 2 months, $40 for a twig.
On March 16th, 2008, Iris_Place added the following:

Just want to add that the "black bamboo" they sent me that was a twig has grow into several clums over the years, only problem, is not one has a spot of black on them, I have no idea what they sent, so not only did they sent a twig after they suckered me in with a nice plant the first order, but it wasn't even what I ordered. I still pissed about this 4 years later, I don't like to be ripped off, I don't steal from others and I don't expect them to steal from me.

Really stupid of them to not respond back to my emails to please make it right. I have been buying from The Bamboo Garden and Bambu-u the last couple years, great experience with them, after bad experience with Sourcery, a total of 8 orders over 4 years worth more than 400 dollars that Sourcery lost out on if only they would have been honest.
Positive davina
San Francisco, CA
January 17, 2004
I ordered a golden bamboo (Phyllostachys aureum) and dwarf bamboo (Indocalamus tesselata) from Bamboo Sourcery just over a year ago. Both were planted in fall and grew vigorously the following spring, despite my dogs' repeated attempts to dig up the Indocalamus.
Positive BrooklynBotanic
Brooklyn, NY
September 15, 2003
I ordered a 5-gallon container of the hard-to-find P. nigra variety "Hale," and it arrived strong, tall, and bursting with culms. The shipping (2-day express) was quite expensive, it's true, but I got what I paid for: A very healthy, happy plant, despite its having been shipped during summer. Customer service was excellent as well. Highly recommended.
Positive mollis
Cleveland, OH
July 30, 2003
I wish I were as happy as the other 2 people who wrote about this company.
For $113. (48 of it was 2nd day, UPS to Cleve.OH. They managed to partially accordianize the box and I made sure the driver noted the box was damaged but did not throw away my 48 bucks by sending it back.)
I ordered 3 bamboos, 2 are sticks, one is more than half dead, 50% of the soil missing from the pot, didn't get loose in the box, One looks like it will live, at least it is healthy, and the third is a bushy little thing 12"high x 4" dia. but 30% of the leaves are half brown from the tips.
I suppose some people will say I am buying rhizomes, but I really expected the tops to look a LOT better. Bamboo is supposed to grow fast so I will have to wait and see.......

On August 2nd, 2003, mollis added the following:

Very much to their credit, Bamboo Sourcery read my above comments and contacted me within 24hrs. They have offered to have me return my order, deal with ups themselves, and send me new, better plants at no additional charge. Will let you know what happens.
On August 7th, 2003, mollis changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Customer service at Bamboo Sourcery is First Rate. They are shipping me new plants. They took care of the details with the delivery Co. and I will not have to pack up anything. My new plants are to arrive next Wed. (8/13/03) at no charge to me.
On August 13th, 2003, mollis changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Rec'd my replacement plants as promised. Two of them are much better looking than the originals. One is worse. Between the 4 of them I think I will do ok.
I changed my rating because of their excellent cust. service and follow up.
Positive twinoaks
July 24, 2003
Ordered much more than I could afford to lose on "blind faith" but in the past 3 years I have been overjoyed with the success. Mortality has been 0%. 2nd yr out of the pot hit 27'. This is where I will continue to purchase my bamboo. It holds true, You get what you pay for!
Positive monitor
April 3, 2003
This company provided beautiful plants. The 'one gallon' sized plants were large, healthy and firing up multiple shoots. All of them had lush green leaves and many culms per pot. The plants came well packed and were moist upon arrival (used overnight air as shipping method). The site, by the way, is one of the better ones out there. It allows you to search their stock by height, hardiness and other important characteristics.

The one minor negative of the entire experience was that for some reason they shipped my order two weeks early. It's hardly a complaint, as the plants were easily sheltered in my house until better planting weather arrived.

I wouldn't hesitate to order from this nursery again.
Positive thriftyjw
April 16, 2002
I have ordered bamboo twice from this company, 6 bamboo plants last year, 3 so far this year, and will be ordering 3 more next month. They always ship 2nd day UPS to me since I live in Florida. The plants are always in excellent condition when they arrive. All of my plants have thrived! I could not be more pleased. Check out their website and the catalog there, it is a wealth of informaiton. They grow over 300 different varieties of bamboo. They will gladly assist you with what type of plant will grow best in your area so you don't waste your money and hard work! I just can't say enough about this company....you won't be disappointed!
Positive outlawpipe
January 1, 1999
I have ordered from The Sourcery (Summer 98) My plant was here in a few days. It has been doing well - up until the point we had -20 temps, a once per decade thing in my area (my Bamboo is good to -5) It looks like I will order from the Sourcery again this spring!
Positive wallacemason
November 1, 1998
I ordered from Bamboo Sourcery 1 month ago and both 1 and 5 gallon specimens were reasonably priced, shipped promptly, and of good quality. Suggest 5 gallon is worth the cost as 1-gallon specimen was a pitifully small "giant" bamboo.