The scoop on 'Wilkerson Mill Gardens (Hydrangea.com)'

Wilkerson Mill Gardens (Hydrangea.com)

9595 Wilkerson Mill Rd
Palmetto, Georgia 30268 (United States)

Visit Wilkerson Mill Gardens (Hydrangea.com) at:

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Positive Smacksie
Anniston, AL
September 28, 2013
Great place. Great people! The best hydrangeas!
Positive naal
Fairfax, VA
September 23, 2013
I ordered two hydrangea that are difficult to find in nurseries in the NOVA area. The prices are reasonable and combined with the shipping, they were still affordable. The plants arrived within two days and were packed perfectly. Both plants were nice sizes and very healthy. I'm extremely happy and wouldn't hesitate to order from Wilkerson Mill gardens again.
Positive VA_GARDEN
Hood, VA (Zone 7a)
September 21, 2013
I am more than pleased with my ordering experience and the and the size and quality of the plants I received. My quest for a Hydrangea aspera led me to the site, and the reviews here in Dave's Garden made me eager to order. In addition to the quality of the plants and the impeccable packaging, customer service was outstanding. Thanks to a keying error I made for my credit card, a resulting E-mail correspondence with Gene resulted in him being able to provide several plants that appeared to be out of stock. I will definitely be ordering again.
Positive organic_tomato
Tyrone, GA (Zone 7b)
January 10, 2013
I stopped by the nursery last year and picked up a native honeysuckle. It's a beautiful place to visit, not what you expect to find inside the Atlanta perimeter. The owner is very friendly and helpful. I meant to go back later in the season and get a hydrangea, but never made it. That will give me an excuse to go back this year.

I'm very grateful for GWD's zip code search. Otherwise I never would have discovered this gem so close by.
Positive TulaRue
Holbrook, NY
September 10, 2011
All the hydrangeas I own, I have purchased from Wilkerson Mills. I am so pleased with them, I would use no other source. Every plant arrived in excellent condition, survived cold, snowy winters and boiling, humid summers. I recently purchased a fothergilla, which also arrived in excellent condition; so far, its a very happy plant.
Positive clement4
Rocky Face, GA
March 21, 2011
Great job and super communication. Plants arrived healthy and in great condition. I will definitely buy again.
Positive dave12122
East Haddam, CT
September 23, 2010
SPECTACULAR!! My order was shipped almost immediately, in a sturdy box. The 2 plants I ordered were very healthy and larger than expected for the very reasonable prices. (3 FEET in the case of an Osmanthus..incredible!) I would order from them again in a heartbeat...definitely an impressive online ordering experience!!
Positive 7B_8A
Fayetteville, GA
September 11, 2010
I can't tell you about their mail order business because I only live about a half-hours drive away. Based on -in person- customer care it's hard to imagine the m.o. business wouldn't be just as excellent. This much I can tell you for sure...great people with great plants!
Positive Lazydaisy153
Lilburn, GA
September 3, 2010
I ordered two Fothergillas. The plants were exceptional and shipping was great!!!
Positive jaythestingray
Jackson, MS
January 18, 2010
I have ordered from them twice in the past year and I have been pleased each time. I originally chose to order from them because of the proximity to me but I will order from again. Plants have been shipped quickly and packaged well. They also have a great selection.
Positive peony01
Prattville, AL (Zone 8a)
December 16, 2009
Today I received my order of three Hydrangea quercifolia 'Snowflake' and they were well packaged, still containing moisture in the rootball with white (new) healthy roots in a planting medium containing much pine bark which is representative of good Southern woody plant growers. I will order from them again - especially the Oakleaf Hydrangea 'Snowflake'.
Positive Norabelle
Neenah, WI
May 29, 2009
I placed a phone order for two Schizophragma Roseum in March. The person I spoke with spent nearly 30 minutes discussing the plants, location, care, and growing habits with me.

When the plants arrived on the exact date I requested, the vines were HUGE. Each was over six feet long with many tendrils and branches. The packaging was well done, too.

I will do business with Wilkerson again.
Positive Pinetucky
Swainsboro, GA (Zone 8b)
September 23, 2008
I received my order of two oakleaf hydrangeas today. The plants were just beautiful - large, healthy, and well-rooted. They were shipped at the time I had requested, and I received a shipping notification by email. Packing was excellent, not even a broken leaf. This is a wonderful company, and I look forward to ordering more plants from them in the future.
Positive hjg150
Bartow, FL
September 17, 2008
Received 4 oakleaf hydrangea "Snow Queen" plants today. Was very surprised at the size and quality of the plants. My neighbor was so impressed she ripped the information about the plants and company right out of my hand. I'm sure she will be ordering soon and I know I will order again. Thanks so much!!

Anita (Zone 9)
Positive ben773
Waukegan, IL
June 1, 2007
I ordered a Calycanthus floridus "Athens" and a Cayuga Viburnum from them this spring. I did not order any hydrangea though. The plants were well packed and the roots wrapped in plastic bags. They arrived healthy and as described (size) in the website. They are doing very well and Athens is now blooming. Service was prompt and e-mail was sent to notify me of the shipping date. I will order from them again although hydrangea is not my cup of tea. But I will continue to scan their website for other plants. Ben L, Beach Park, IL. Zone 5a.
Positive kribensis
Clayton, NC
May 18, 2007
Based on the positive feedback and their availability of a hard to find selection, I ordered Lonicera periclymenum 'Serotina' (Late Dutch Honeysuckle) from Wilkerson Mill Gardens. Their email communication was excellent and I recieved the selection quickly. The speciman was simply BEAUTIFUL and nicer then I expected. I could not be happier! I would highly recommend this nursery.
Positive kateco
Loganville, GA
April 7, 2007
Beautiful property, so much more than hydrangeas. The plants are well taken care of and the selection is varied, with many unusual and rare plants. We visit once a year and come home with great plants, many you don't find elsewhere. We have a good time walking the property and looking at all the interesting selections. The plantings in their garden beds are beautiful and the property itself is lovely.
Positive isenhour28
Kannapolis, NC
October 18, 2006
My plants arrived in excellent condition. I plan to order some additional items in 2007 now that I know they are a good source from which to purchase.
Positive tbuff
Canton, GA
October 9, 2006
This is a great nursery with many hard-to-find plants. The owners are pleasant and very informative. It is well worth a lengthy drive to see their place. IMO they have one of the better selections of rare plants in the Southeast, and probably one of the best selections of hydrangeas in the country.
Positive Elisiss
Fort Worth, TX (Zone 7b)
June 25, 2006
I made my first trip to Wilkerson Mill Garden this season and will be returning. Everyone I came into contact with was pleasant and very helpful. They also have a wonderful catalog that guided in my wandering through the many types of hydrangeas that they offer. The plants have been in the ground for approx. a month and are thriving.
Positive MTHOMAS
Griffin, GA
May 31, 2006
great people to deal with...plants are very healthy and choices are good. I drive 70 miles, going past other nurseries, because it is worth it to get plants from
a place so informative.

Positive jhhearne
Jonesborough, TN
April 27, 2006
This is the second time I have ordered oakleaf hydrangeas from Wilkerson Mill Gardens and I couldn't be happier. I was notified of the ship date so I could be prepared for the plants' arrival. The plants were packaged very carefully and were in excellent condition. They have taken off and are doing beautifully. I highly recommend this company.
Positive gnomela
Duluth, GA (Zone 7b)
April 11, 2006
Ordered three Lighthouse Hydrangeas from Wilkerson Mill. They arrived incredibly well-packaged, on time, and looking absolutely beautiful. I wasn't able to get them in the ground immediately, but the plants passed the time wonderfully. They are now planted in front of our home and growing so very nicely. I'm looking forward to ordering from Wilkerson Mill again!
Positive gedgar
Mobile, AL (Zone 8a)
March 23, 2006
I ordered two Alabama Crimson Honeysuckle vines. They arrived last week are very healthy and vigorous. They even have buds. The plants are very well developed with good root systems. I am very pleased with this company.
Positive soilserf
douglasville, GA (Zone 7a)
March 16, 2006
I visit their nursery (to purchase plants) quite often. The owners are knowledgeable and very helpful. This is a good place to "do business with".
Neutral dwarfconifer
Boyds, MD (Zone 6b)
March 16, 2006
I ordered a 'Goldcrest' witch hazel in Autumn 2004, a cultivar which I could not find locally. The plant received consisted of a single 2-foot stem. It is slowly coming along, and has now formed more branches, and looks like it might eventually be nice. From what I can tell, it is true to name.
Positive Yankeeboy
Atlanta, GA
March 16, 2006
These people are GREAT! Their products are AWESOME, the location is inspiring... I first became a local customer of Wilkerson Mill Gardens in the fall of '98-- I make the 22 mile pilgrimage at least 5-6 times a year, sometimes just to see what is for sale, and take in the moment of being there-- a truly wonderful setting! The owners are pretty much who you deal with when there-- They will not let you just arrive unnoticed! These are truly people who have followed their hearts, and have followed their calling in life. YOU can never be disappointed with them in any way, only your inexperience! I recommend anyone remotely having any business dealings that might bring them to the Atlanta area to make the trip!!! Well worth it!
Neutral jbrockettm
Fort Plain, NY
February 18, 2006
I ordered 5 or 6 hydrangeas in the fall: a couple each of oakleafs, macros and micros. They were shipped quickly but bunched into the box too tightly, and one of them was severely damaged when I took it out of the box: one of the two main branches came right off. I find the prices to be *high* compared to other vendors. I am hoping that I will be pleasantly surprised by the quality of the plants but since I am in zone 5a I am not going to be blaming them if the plants don't survive, but the experience was not a positive one for me.
On April 16th, 2006, jbrockettm added the following:

"micros" has been bothering me. They're lacecaps. The plant which broke when I took it out of the box did not make it over the winter.
Positive Flower_Child21
Alexandria, VA
December 31, 2005
I love this company! I have been buying hydrangeas from Wilkerson Mill for years and have always received plants that are big, healthy and less expensive than hydrangeas from many other larger companies. For the hydrangea lover, Wilkerson Mills has a fabulous selection of unusual varieties. Shop here with confidence!
Positive thyme39
Plymouth, MI (Zone 6a)
June 9, 2005
I just received a hydrangea and a golden hops vine from them. I was a little uncertain about using them since I live in MI z5/6 and they are in GA, but they had a good rating on Garden Watchdog. I called them to make sure they had the golden hops vine as it is getting late in the season to find plants that are a little rare. The person on the phone was so nice. I felt like she really liked her job and was smiling at me through the phone. The plants arrived exactly when she said they would (about a week after I ordered). They were very healthy, robust plants. Great root systems. The roots and plants were not dry or slimy. (I have experienced both since I shop online a lot). Both plants' roots were in soil and packaged very well. Both plants had a lot of leaves. The hydrangea was the size of my hydrangea here that I planted last year or maybe slightly larger (they are the same type). The hops vine looked like they just took it out of the ground and gave it to me, it was so healthy. I planted both the same day and a week later, the hops vine has 4" of new growth and the hudrangea is doing super. Their main business is hydrangeas (as evidenced by their website address) but they stock a lot of other great perennials. My original interest was in the golden hops vine and not too many places have it. I am extremely pleased with this company and will order from them again. They have a ton of hydrangeas in their catalog that I now want to take a look at.
Positive Kate7b
May 5, 2005
I just received my order from Wilkerson Mill Gardens. Wow! The two hydrangeas and climbing dicentra were beautifully packed, had great root systems, were fully leafed out and fresh as a daisy out of the box. I do a lot of mail order, and I am really impressed with this company's product, shipping and customer service. The prices are very reasonable too. You will not be sorry if you order from Wilkerson's Mill Gardens.
Positive Cloisters
New Bern, NC
April 10, 2005
Am exceedingly pleased with the hydrangeas & climbing 'hydrangeas' I received from Willkerson Mill. This nursery seems to be a first-rate operation with quality plants & attention to customer service. I won't hesitate to order from them again.
Positive shimer
Marietta, GA (Zone 7b)
March 9, 2005
I love buying plants from this company! We visited the nursery (near Atlanta) in spring 2003 and drove home with 9 hydrangeas, all of which have been healthy and beautiful. The owners, Gene and Elizabeth are knowledgeable and very helpful, and will answer questions whenever they come up. I have since placed orders for viburnums, climbing hydrangeas and a variety of other hydrangeas both on the phone and at their web site. The plants have always arrived healthy and vigorous; they are very well packed and the planting instructions are good. They give you the opportunity when you order to request a date you would like the shipment to be sent out, which is great for long-term planning. The web site is a little funky, but it does work well, and there are a number of fun things at the web site (one of which is the most amusing set of driving instructions I have ever read--it's just hilarious--even if you never intend to go there, it's worth checking out). I never planted any shrubs before this, but have been thoroughly delighted with all the shrubs from Wilkerson Mill.
Positive smarkham
Adams Run, SC
November 2, 2004
I was so impressed with my first order that I ordered again from them. It looks like they wait until you place your order, then they take them right out of the pot and mail them to you before the plant knows what hit them. They are an excellent size with plenty of green leaves and ready to take off as soon as you plant them. It is closer to a nursery plant than one you would expect to get from a mail order company.
Positive cbamrick
Green Bay, WI (Zone 5a)
September 27, 2004
Ordered and received two hydrangeas last week. The cost of shipping was very reasonable and the plants arrived in good shape. They were nice sizes and I am very happy to have found another source for Hydrangeas. Will definately be doing business with them again.
Positive jc0727
May 1, 2004
Yesterday I received three hydrangea plants from Wilkerson Mill Gardens. They arrived safely and well-packed. I'm new to gardening and this was my first experience with mail-order plants. I was very hesitant but thought I would give it a try with a small order. I'm very pleased and would definitely recommend this nursery. Their website is a pleasure to visit.
Positive Glad_Grammy
Saint Paris, OH
April 22, 2004
Yesterday I received the two "Snowflake" hydrangeas that I ordered a couple of months ago from Wilkerson Mills. They came exactly the week that I specified, were packed beautifully, and are in excellent condition. They are nearly 2 ft. tall and each has a flower bud on it already! These are the healthiest plant specimens that I have received so far this year---and I have ordered a lot of plants! I give them my highest recommendations and will be ordering from them again. Thank you Mr. Griffith and co.
Grammy
Positive NCJeff
Raleigh, NC
April 20, 2004
I ordered five hydrangeas this spring. The order was shipped promptly, the plants were well packed, and the plants themselves were of excellent size and quality. Four of the five were damp when I received them; one was dry and a little droopy, but it perked up quickly. All have been in the ground for weeks now and are doing extremely well. I was very pleased with my experience with this company.
Positive jjbyr
March 21, 2004
I have ordered several times from this company. The quality of their plants is truly excellent, as is their service and packaging. We used to visit this nursery every Mother's Day so I could choose whatever plants I wanted. When we moved away I missed my visits, until they sent a catalog and went online! The plants I receive from them now by shipment are every bit as good as the ones we used to buy in containers. This is a wonderful, reliable company that has never disappointed. (Their mature wisteria, blooming over the arbor on Mother's Day every year, is breathtaking and well worth a visit.)
Positive Browndog
Richmond, VA (Zone 7a)
December 26, 2003
I ordered several hydrangeas and vines in the Spring of 2003. All arrived in good shape and flourished in my zone 7 landscape. Packing was excellent. Email communication with Gene Griffith about amending my order and the shipping date was both timely and courteous. No question that I will definately do business with Wilkerson Mill Gardens in the future.