The scoop on 'California Tropical Fruit Tree Nursery'

California Tropical Fruit Tree Nursery

2840 State Street
Carlsbad, California 92008 (United States)

This company specializes in:Other helpful information:

Comments:

Positive Msalceanu
Vista, CA
July 21, 2012
This is a family business run on a residential property. They have a second business and charges are run through that. People, get a grip, this is not the end of the world. Get the price list in advance, make sure you know what you want and what size and find out price in advance. The garden staff is nice and even though English is not their strength, you will be fine. Plants are amazing and well worth the drive. Highly recommend. BTW... Amy has been exceptional every time! If you want a retail experience go to Armstrong or Green Thumb and try to find these plants.
Negative Mocha06
Garden Grove, CA
February 23, 2012
I recently purcharge two fruit trees from california tropical fruit nursery in visa, CA. There should be no sale tax but they did charged the tax anyway. I called before visited and was told a 5gal sapodilla was $45 but when I got There the limited English spoken staff said it's $55. I did not discover until I got home that I was over charged and the plant has no label, no common or scientific name. No receipt was provided as I bought it. They over charged me by $10 but that's is not the worst. The bad experience was when I try to call and asking for my receipt and about the sale taxes. She then told me that it was $65 on their price list, which i never got to see posted anywhere in the nursery or on their website. I also wanted to know the cultivar's name on the sapodilla I had bought and found out that the lady who answer the phone was clueless and can not answer a very simple question, regarding
the cultivar' name on the sapodilla they have sold to me. She got frustrated
and wanted to rush me off the phone instead of trying to find out what they
had. To make the long story short, this nursery is very unproffessional, had
bad customer service, did not care about how the customer feel, they just
wanted to rip off people, indifferences about thier price, they just name their price whatever they wanted did not have price on any of its plants, did not
clearly label all of its plants, changes their price within minutes whenever and do not borther to post it anywhere to be found except when you asked.
did not have a wide selection of plants as advertised, unknowledgeable
staff,

unfriendly service, operate out of a private home, do not use its own name
to do business. Instead, the charged said 'somewhere in time' as a name
where it should have been California tropical fruit like their website posted. It
nursery seems like an after thought and a joke. Price was not cheap, no
guarantee what so ever. I would NEVER reccommend it to anyone and
would never again doing business with them. Any business that is not using its own name to do business is very questionable? Buyer beware!
Positive cbadmom
January 14, 2012
I am beyond surprised at the negative rating here because I have been a customer of this amazing nursery on several separate occasions through the years and I can't say enough great things about it!  My persimmon, mango, longan trees among others are doing beautifully at my home.  I have brought friends with me as well and they were just as impressed and became customers also.  The trees are so healthy and vibrant, you can tell that these people take extreme care maintaining their them, and they have varieties that I haven't seen anywhere else!  The staff is very helpful with questions at the nursery, and with loading your new trees into your vehicle.   I have called the office in the past with lots of questions and they are only too happy to answer any and all of them.  They are extremely knowledgable and honest about their trees and are eager to share information with you.  I HIGHLY recommend checking this nursery out for yourself and you will see what I see everytime I go there.  Great customer service, smiling faces and any other customer that I have seen walking around the grounds seem in awe just like me.  We are so lucky to live in this Southern California weather, and even luckier to have nurseries like this one making these rare tropical and subtropical trees available to us!  The prices are very fair, the appearance of the trees are above and beyond anywhere else I have looked.  Do yourself a favor and head out to Vista on a Saturday when they have open hours and see what they have to offer!
Negative 666222ch32
Escondido, CA
November 26, 2011
I have several problems with this business. 1) In my opinion, the "wholesale" prices are not any lower than retail (in fact, they may be more expensive). 2) When I called one of the owners "Amy" to resolve a problem I quickly found out that customer service is NOT number one. It seems that saving a dollar is more important to this company than pleasing the customer. 3) I hope your GPS is working because the nursery is located at a residence in a remote part of Vista.....their prices + the drive = go somewhere else. 4) I showed up on a Saturday (today) and the only employee that was available to help in tree selection was very nice but spoke limited English. Conclusion: I would NEVER recommend this nursery to anyone. Look at the other review sites, there seems to be a common theme with this company.
Positive eyeckr
Virginia Beach, VA (Zone 8a)
November 22, 2006
On a recent visit to the west coast I made my way this nursery in Vista California. The trip leading to the nursery is a bit strange since it is nestled deep in a neighborhood. Once you get there you come up a steep driveway that leads you to a beautiful house that the nursery seems to hide behind. I was in awe when I saw the beautiful fruit trees available and the great condition they were all in. Most specimens were grand in size and just a few were available in 5 gal pots. The nursery manager was gracious enough to stop working to take me on a tour showing me many different trees that had fruit on them. One he seemed proud of was the Java Plum he had planted from seed over 12yrs ago that was just now starting to fruit. I ended up leaving w/ an already fruiting African Pride Atemoya. I highly recommend this nursery to those in search of tropical and subtropical fruiting plants. All the plants were healthy, pest free and in great shape. The only downside is that they do not ship & many of the plants would be too large handle and ship on your own. I ended up barerooting my plant and taking it back w/ me on the plane in my luggage.