The scoop on 'Shaw's Sunshine Gardens'

Shaw's Sunshine Gardens

2541 Lumpkin Road
Augusta, Georgia 30906-5338 (United States)

Visit Shaw's Sunshine Gardens at:

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive maureench
Philadelphia, PA
September 11, 2013
A++. Needed a late blooming daylily and Charlie was most helpful. Expected double fans and received small clumps. The plants arrived healthy with vigorous roots, well wrapped and packaged. Helpful, friendly, professional. Highly recommended.
Positive TammyY
Knoxville, TN
July 26, 2013
Really great people to deal with and wonderful plants! I wasn't aware that they had a 50% off sale coming up, but they extended me the discount anyway...I really appreciated that! Couldn't be happier! I will definitely be back shopping soon!
Positive CDBinNH
(Zone 4b)
May 22, 2013
I was looking for a specific daylily and was referred to their site. They answered my emails quickly and graciously.
I received the order today (shipped in the week I requested) in VERY good condition. The plants look exceedingly healthy, they are a very generous size.
They also included an 'over the top' bonus shipment.
I am looking forward to getting these healthy plants in the ground.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Thanks!
Positive alisauva
Phoenix, AZ
April 18, 2013
I won a gift certificate for Shaw's Sunshine Gardens from a friend back east, but did not believe that these palnts would survive in Phoneix. I called Charlie and he not only walked me through how to select the best plant choices for my area, he gave me some tips on how to build and prepare my plant beds for success. I ordered my plants in Feburary, and they were delivered right on schedule so I could plant them on the exact day I wanted to plant. I recieved some bonus plants and we happily expanded our garden bed plans! Not only were the plants in great condition, moist, wrapped and clean... he included several items from my "Wish List" in a variety of color schemes. Shaw's has turned my desert front yard into a bright and happy showcase of my Southern roots! I would never have attempted to grow daylilies in Phoneix without advice from Shaw's! Because of Charlie's assistance and guidence, I have blooms only 60 days from when we planted! Amazing!
Positive Old_Gardener
Calabasas, CA
October 12, 2012
Posted on September 3, 2012, updated October 12, 2012
Posted on August 24, 2012, updated September 3, 2012
Posted on April 5, 2012, updated August 24, 2012
Posted on March 28, 2012, updated April 5, 2012
I just placed an order with Shaw's Sunshine Gardens. Mr. Shaw is lovely to work with! I had a question prior to ordering and he got back to me in a very prompt and courteous manner and has continued to update me on the status of the order. If only more businesses would take a cue from vendors such as Shaw's Sunshine Gardens....
On April 5th, 2012, Old_Gardener added the following:

I received my order yesterday and I could not possibly be happier. It is apparent that Shaw's Sunshine Gardens take pride in their daylilies. Each plant was clean, well-trimmed, and meticulously packaged. I received generous-sized clumps with some of the most well-developed and robust root structures that I have seen. In addition, Mr. Shaw sent some absolutely exquisite bonuses! I cannot possibly recommend Shaw's highly enough. They treat you as if you are the only customer - an absolutely wonderful experience!
On August 24th, 2012, Old_Gardener added the following:

I placed another order for several daylilies which I received yesterday. All are of the highest quality and it is obvious that they were grown, dug, and packaged with the utmost of care. I emailed Mr. Shaw asking if it was at all possible to delay shipment until after our heatwave broke (115+ degrees) and he was extremely gracious and held my shipment for me. Shaw's Sunshine Garden is truly a joy to do business with - thank you for your grace and generosity, Mr. Shaw!!!
On September 3rd, 2012, Old_Gardener added the following:

I placed an additional order for a few more "must have" daylilies and received them last week. Mr. Shaw was very generous. As before, I cannot recommend Shaw's Sunshine Gardens highly enough!
On October 12th, 2012, Old_Gardener added the following:

I received another order of daylilies for a new garden bed yesterday. Each daylily is absolutely pristine, multi-fanned and has healthy, plump roots. In addition, Mr. Shaw was extremely generous when choosing bonus plants - he sent me some extraordinary cultivars. Thank you, Mr. Shaw, for your grace, service, and generosity -I truly appreciate it. I will definitely continue ordering from Shaw's Sunshine Gardens - an absolute gem!!!!!
Positive tputnam
Northampton, MA
August 7, 2012
Very fine plants shipped quickly at a good price. Thank you!
Positive toniellen
Augusta, GA
August 4, 2012
The customer service here is outstanding and the gardens are lovely. Mr. Shaw treats his customers as well as he treats his lilies!
It took two visits for me to choose what I wanted. Mr. Shaw patiently answered all of my questions and informed me on which daylily breeds would work best for my yard... and he let my son play with his cat and dog and crawl around his office floor.
He also told me when his annual 50% off sale was happening - so I waited and was able to get the discount! (FYI I think the sale is from 8/1-9/30/2012)

The lilies I received were in incredible condition: three fans each with strong roots, and clean, trimmed leaves. The quality is amazing.

I HIGHLY recommend Shaw's Sunshine Garden!
Positive daylily_ohio
Newark, OH (Zone 5b)
May 10, 2012
I asked Shaw's to send a plant to a friend whose daughter died, in her memory. They were great to work with. My friend was amazed at the plants received! Good job!
Positive hsvbg
Moores Mill, AL
March 27, 2012
Posted on September 15, 2011, updated March 27, 2012
I volunteer at the Huntsville Madison County Botanical Gardens and work primarily in the daylily garden. In making pictures of all our daylilies, I discovered an error in the Stout Medal Bed and have been searching for the correct cultivar for Ruffled Pinafore. I had seen a presentation by Charlie Shaw and was impressed and contacted him in hopes of finally getting the correct plant. He sent me six fans of the real Ruffled Pinafore and a bonus of Sabine Baur. They arrived in perfect condition. Thanks to Shaw's Garden my two-year search is over and our collection is complete.
On March 27th, 2012, hsvbg added the following:

I am a regular volunteer at the Huntsville Botanical Gardens and work in the daylily garden. When we needed to add the latest Stout Medal Winner to our Stout Medal Collection, there was no question in my mind that the best place to obtain the correct plant was Charlie Shaw's Sunshine Garden. When I searched his site for the plant, it wasn't listed so I sent him an e-mail asking if he had the plant and he e-mailed me back that he did and that we could purchase it from him. I received three beautiful fans and three fans of another daylily as well. Both are now growing in our wonderful world class daylily garden at the botanical gardens. It is wonderful to know there is a place where one can purchase healthy plants that are the true representations of desired cultivars. Often one is surprised when plants bloom--but that never happens when the plants come from Charlie Shaw. I highly recommend his daylilies for purchase.
Positive jclements44
October 23, 2011
This is our first experience purchasing daylilies and Charlie Shaw was so helpful, giving us good information to plant and take care of the plants. The plants are beautiful, well marked and the information tells a lot about each plant. He had every one I had chosen to purchase and they look very healthy. He has a very extensive variety of colors. We will definitely purchase more from him.
Positive saharanshadow
Grovetown, GA
October 14, 2011
Customer Service A+++....... Mr. Shaw is a very polite and mannerly person with excellent customer skills. His garden is immaculate and very well organized, a pleasure to look at even when the plants are out of bloom. Can't wait for next year to see the garden in full bloom! Best of all his plants are healthy and CLUMP SIZE. You get more for your money! Twice I have visited the garden this fall and purchased plants at the 50% off sale price. I am very happy! I will certainly do business with him again.
Positive atienne3
Tupelo, MS
October 10, 2011
Posted on October 27, 2010, updated October 10, 2011
Second year to order from these folks and one could not ask for a better customer experience. Plants arrive healthy and carefully packed for shipping. 1st year plants were beautiful and I have no doubts that this spring will be the same. But as great as the plants have performed, the customer care, service and communication is what sets Charlie with the best of the best. Will certainly do business again and again. Thanks!
On October 10th, 2011, atienne3 added the following:

Another terrific experience with Charlie this year with the same wonderful customer service and communication. I couldn’t contain my excitement with Charlie’s flowers blooming in my yard this year and invited some co-workers over. So, when they found out that I had ordered with Shaw’s Sunshine Gardens again this fall, they just had to get in on the fun and we placed a 2nd order this year! Nothing but the best from Charlie every time and at every point in the transaction – quality plants that perform beautifully and unmatched customer service. You could never top working with Shaw’s Sunshine Gardens.
Positive ktarrant
Harlem, GA
October 10, 2011
Charles was so polite and patient with me! I didn't know there was website where I could look at the plants available before I went so was clueless. He discussed my garden's color scheme and suggested options to me. Of course I relied on his expertise and the plants had healthy tubers and in ready to plant condition. Even my husband (a non gardener) marveled at the size of the tubers! Will be buying more in the future now I know where to look and can't wait for next year to see my plants bloom!
Positive Br1ghtshiny
Silver Spring, MD
October 7, 2011
Excellent customer service is a hallmark of this company. Charlie went out of his way to accommodate my order even though he was running low on the plants that I wanted because it was toward the end of the growing season. Communication was excellent--he let me know that he was going out of town the day after I placed my order and informed me exactly when he would be back and when my order would ship. He got back in touch as soon as he got back home to tell me that my check had arrived and that my order had been shipped. The plants themselves arrived two days later, green and healthy and beautifully packed. There was a generous bonus included. You can't beat that--especially since I was able to take advantage of the prices at the Fall Half-Off Sale. This was my first time ordering from Shaw's Sunshine Gardens, but it definitely won't be my last.
Positive exaltedruler42
Atlanta, GA
October 4, 2011
Requested future delivery and was honored as asked. Very generous with the number and quality of fans of each single day lily ordered. Very personable and willing to communicate about related garden issues. Quality and service are what you would hope for with a well managed family business. If I had more room, I would order more.
Positive RUBYS
Wrens, GA
September 25, 2011
I visited Shaw's garden for the first time yesterday. The owner was very pleasant and answer many of my questions about growing dayliles. I took advantage of their end of the season sale and received very large 3 fan plants. I will definitely buy from Shaw's again.
Positive sherryocala
Ocala, FL
September 22, 2011
Yesterday I received my order of ten bareroot daylilies from Charlie Shaw of Shaw's Sunshine Gardens. They were large, healthy and green, packed very nicely. His shipping charges were more reasonable than any other nurseries I checked out. I am very happy with the plants and with his help leading up to the purchase. This is the third time I have bought from Shaw's. They have all been excellent experiences, and the plants have been vigorous, doing very well in my Florida garden. The best daylily nursery I have ever bought from.
Positive Nerida
Lebanon, OR
September 22, 2011
Excellent service in every way - prompt email responses, friendly gardening advice, super high quality plants, carefully packed and shipped with an eye to the weather and the mail.
My "babies" are doing wonderfully and I am quite pleased!
Positive gailkaitschuck
Augusta, GA
September 17, 2011
We're recently made two purchases from Shaws to improve our daylily beds. Excellent service, very large, healthy plants in a beautiful setting. We live in the area and were able to view the beautiful nursery that Charlie has worked so hard on developing. I would highly recommend this nursery to anyone who is interested in purchasing large and health plants from a reputable source.

Charlie is very knowledgable and very helpful in answering questions and, as has previous postings stated, provides excellent customer service.

We're lucky to live so close to Shaws and will be purchasing from them again.
Positive Plantilus
North Augusta, SC (Zone 7b)
September 10, 2011
I visited Charlie's gardens in late July looking for late blooming daylilies. Charlie gave me a great tour and suggested I wait until September to buy, because of the hot weather. He told me he would be having a 50% off sale then too. I just went back to pick up my selection and the plants are beautiful. Good strong fans with great healthy roots. His website is good too with good close-ups of every daylily he sells. Charlie is very efficient and helpful and gave me a wonderful buying experience.
Positive HJLUX
Randolph, NY
July 30, 2011
I recently placed my first order with Charlie Shaw, owner of Shaw's Sunshine Gardens. It was a pleasure doing business with Charlie! My order was shipped as promised, arrived in great shape! The daylilies shipped were large and healthy with large roots! My experience was 100% positive! Looking for great daylilies to add to you garden(s)? Give Shaw's Sunshine Gardens a try you won't be disappointed! Charlie thanks again! Howard
Positive plantstoshare
Griffin, GA
July 12, 2011
I just received my first order from Mr. Shaw and it won't be my last! Excellent, healthy plants and the best of the best communication and customer service.
I highly recommend this seller.
Positive flowerchik1
Guyton, GA (Zone 8b)
July 7, 2011
Posted on October 11, 2010, updated July 7, 2011
I received very large, healthy plants at a great price. I will definitely buy from them again.
On July 7th, 2011, clyoung1 added the following:

Once again, I received great plants. Shaw's communication with customers is the absolute best! Can't wait for the fall sale!
Positive bdaisy
Evans, GA
June 18, 2011
I can't say enough how much we enjoyed our experience with Shaw's. Charlie Shaw, the owner, is the most welcoming, personable gentleman you could hope to do business with. Our purchased plants were excellent, healthy, large divisions, much more generous than double fans seen elsewhere. And you will definately not find their equal in a box store, nor the selection (999+ varieties). Is it possible that we liked the bonus plants added by Charlie better than our own selections? Simply a pleasure, you will not be disappointed. Also, the gardens are a must see if at all possible. Thank you Charlie, the Williams'
Positive PEPPER0223
Bristol, TN
May 15, 2011
I WAS EXTREMELY PLEASED WITH EVERYTHING ABOUT SHAWS. THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS THE VERY BEST I HAVE EXPERIENCED. THEY ACTUALLY CARE IF YOU ARE HAPPY WITH YOUR ORDER AND MAKE IT A POINT TO FIND OUT IF YOU ARE. THE PLANTS WERE SOME OF THE HEALTHIEST I RECEIVED THIS YEAR (OUT OF 6 DIFFERENT MAIL ORDER GARDENS). I LOOK FORWARD TO ORDERING AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Positive LucasCatChow
Tulsa, OK
April 25, 2011
I was desparately seeking an older award winning daylily and was surprised at how few places carried it. Shaw's did, but I had never used them before. After reading the nurseries good reports here I placed my first order. Mr. Shaw was very generous with my order sending me not just double fans which is usually the norm, but what looked like large clumps. The bonus was the real kicker. A very nice double flowered daylily that looks wonderful in the pictures. All in all a very good experience and one I will repeat in the future.
Positive lilypadlady
Whittemore, MI
April 18, 2011
It is a pleasure doing business with Shaw's Sunshine Gardens.I made my first purchase from Charlie last fall and happy to report all the Daylilies are coming up right on time and look very healthy. I have already placed an order with him for delivery this spring and will continue to do business with him.The plants are always very healthy and the customer care is excellent!!
Positive baritonality
Saint Peters, MO (Zone 5b)
April 13, 2011
My first order from Shaw's will surely not be my last! Plants arrived in tip-top condition, were more than expected, and came with very generous bonus plants, too. Wow!!!
Positive britt1989
Pinson, TN
March 23, 2011
I AM A FIRST TIME CUSTOMER OF SHAWS SUNSHINE GARDENS.THE CUSTOMER SERVICE WAS GREAT,MR. CHARLIE IS VERY NICE MAN. .ALL OF MY DAYLILYS WERE LARGE AND HEALTHY AND GREAT BONUSES TOO!!!!(OUTSTANDING!)I WILL DEFINITELY ORDER FROM SHAW'S SUNSHINE GARDENS AGAIN AND AGAIN .

THANK YOU VERY MUCH MR. CHARLIE,
MICHELLE

Positive mk4551
Pinson, TN
March 22, 2011
I am a first time customer of Shaw's Sunshine Gardens. Their customer service is great, my order was shipped promptly and my daylilies where the best I have ever received through mail order. They also sent bonuses that exceeded my expectations. Their website is easy to navigate and my emails were answered immediately.
Positive susan75023
Plano, TX
October 11, 2010
Posted on June 5, 2009, updated October 11, 2010
I have wanted to order daylilys from the Shaws for two years and finally was able to choose four, with difficulty. I want most of them! The communication was super, I received beautiful, big plants, terrific bonus plants and immediate shipment. Now I need to order some patience until they bloom. Definitely will order again. Highly recommended!!!!
On October 11th, 2010, susan75023 added the following:

Returned for more plants and once again received beautiful roots. Charles takes great pride in all aspects of providing outstanding service and plants and meets the highest expectations of his customers.
Positive NorthernDaylily
Plover, WI
October 9, 2010
What a beautiful box of plants... great full mature root systems with clean green foliage. And the service and attention to my order was even BETTER. A seller I can recommend with complete confidence... I'll be sure to look their site over when considering future plants.

And.. Thank You Charles for a great value... I've had 100's of boxes come in here.. and I can't remember a box that was better! You do a super job!
Positive imzadi
Jackson, SC (Zone 8a)
June 5, 2010
Ive been going to Charlie's for years now and never once have i been disappointed. The day lilies are top notch. you get what you pay for. I know i can drive over there in about 20 minutes and see all of them in bloom. its a fantastic place and well worth your time.
you will be happy with the day lilies you buy.
Positive bbelcher12
Grovetown, GA
May 16, 2010
Very informative visit. I told Charlie what colors I wanted and he was very knowledgeable of all the different types and colors of his daylillies. I will visit again this year and bring my sisters.
Positive tlt060659
North Augusta, SC
May 10, 2010
Posted on May 11, 2009, updated May 10, 2010
I have been a customer of Shaw's Sunshine Gardens for 2 years now and have over 40 daylilies. The view out my back windows is spectacular !! Charlie Shaw is one of the most concerned and caring business men I know - he truly loves his beloved daylilies - growing them, caring for them and most of all sharing them with his customers. I marvel at how he knows the name, the color, the characteristics and the blooming time (and even where they are located in the garden !!) without looking them up on a piece of paper ! He is always generous with the fans I receive and is quick to give advise and growing tips - he never seems to tire from my endless questions. The daylilies I receive are always healthy and reproduce rapidly. I have a wonderful show of color from May to frost. I wouldn't consider buying lilies anywhere else - poor Charlie is stuck with me for life! If you ever get in the area, his daylily farm is a feast for the eyes - I call it "my little piece of heaven" !!

Trust this business with your daylily needs - you won't be sorry !!!

Extremely positive rating !!!!
On May 10th, 2010, tlt060659 added the following:

Mother's Day weekend was made additionally special by my first visit to Charlie Shaw's Sunshine Gardens this past Saturday ! The garden is in exceptional form and all the plants we bought were healthy and strong. I can't wait for them to bloom !! Charlie, thanks for always providing an exceptional product !!!
Positive Pinetucky
Swainsboro, GA (Zone 8a)
April 14, 2010
Posted on May 21, 2009, updated April 14, 2010
I recently placed my first order with Shaw's Sunshine Gardens. Communication was excellent, shipping was superfast, and the plants were even better than expected - large at least triple fans, all with wonderful root systems. Plus two very nice gift plants were included. I am quite impressed with both the quality of the plants and the service. Shaw's Sunshine Gardens will be one of my favorite sources for daylilies from now on.
On April 14th, 2010, Pinetucky added the following:

Just received another fantastic order from Shaw's Sunshine Gardens. As always the plants are great: multiple fans with healthy roots, clearly labeled, and packed with care. Not only are the plants wonderful, but the service is also outstanding. Charlie Shaw is a treasure! He is always willing to answer any questions, provide great advice, and do all he can to please his customers. He puts his heart into his business and it shows. I highly recommend Shaw's Sunshine Gardens!
Positive k2tog
March 23, 2010
I've never had a better online experience. My email questions were answered quickly, the products were beautiful and the service was wonderful. They went out of their way to see that my order was filled promptly and that I was informed when my items were shipped and delivered. I felt like Charlie was a friend by the end of the tranaction. I will definitely do business with this company again.
Positive LiliesNDollies
Moultrie, GA
February 11, 2010
Plants received quickly in excellent condition! Very large with excellent root system. Charlie is very personable and a pleasure to do business with! Thanks, Charlie!
Positive sillybug5
Winston Salem, NC (Zone 7a)
October 16, 2009
Wonderful, big, healthy, fresh daylily divisions. They came perfectly packed. I can't say enough good things here! Charlie is a joy to work with and the whole experience was a very positive one. Kudos!!! I shall be back.
Positive dixiedumplin
Riceville, TN
October 9, 2009
I agree wholeheartedly with all the previous praise for Shaw's. I just wish I lived closer to Augusta so I could see the garden and the Shaws in person. Very generous with plants and kept me up to speed on the shipping schedule via email. I got the impression that they are generous, friendly and love what they are doing. People like this are the one's you want to do business with again and recommend to everyone else.